Introducing Trueplay and the New PLAY:5

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
  • Community Manager
  • 10935 replies
Today we’re excited to announce our newest product, the all new PLAY:5. The original PLAY:5 still sounds great and we’ve upgraded it in almost every way.

The new PLAY:5 has our best sounding player yet. It's got six synchronized, custom-designed drivers, each with its own Class-D amp, and three mid-woofers for mid-range frequencies. There’s also a touch interface for convenient play/pause, volume adjustment, and changing tracks with a swipe. The new PLAY:5 also has six internal antennas, for the best wifi in any orientation. Find out more about the new PLAY:5 here: http://blog.sonos.com/news/meet-trueplay-and-the-all-new-play5/. We know you’ll love it as soon as you have the chance to hear it.

Along with the new PLAY:5, we will be launching an exciting new software development we call Trueplay. This is a speaker tuning software above and beyond basic equalization options which uses the Sonos software on an iOS controller to adjust your speakers to deliver great sound in any room of your home.

Finally, in the next few days, we’ll be introducing HLS streaming for the BBC via an update to our public beta for Sonos version 6.0. We’ll post a separate announcement with information here when the next public beta update is available.

The new PLAY:5 and Trueplay will be available later this year, and you can sign up here to be notified when the PLAY:5 is available for purchase: http://www.sonos.com/new-play-5-smart-speaker

242 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Cool.
Ah, we can finally Discuss Trueplay! It truly sets Sonos speakers apart from the pack. Setup process is just amazingly cool, don't know how you did it without having a microphone calibration process first...
Very interesting, to see what Trueplay does to the sound from a play 1.

And the new 5 units also look like allowing a pair that can look and sound like a hifi speaker pair, without adding a Sub to it. If so, a good breakthrough indeed.
Badge
So Trueplay does not support the Playbar (yet), will it however let me tweak the Play:3 pairs that are part of my surround setup excluding the Playbar and Sub?
Cannot see any mention of the headphone socket - has it gone?
Badge
When or(?) will the Trueplay be available for all the users with Android devices? This must just be a small programming issue..
User813144 wrote:

When or(?) will the Trueplay be available for all the users with Android devices? This must just be a small programming issue..

They can bring it to Apple devices as there is a small range of microphones in the iPod/iPhone/iPad range, however there are many, many devices that run Android so it may not be practical to use the internal microphone, an external "Sonos" mic could be used?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
The FAQ, located at http://faq.sonos.com/trueplay, says the following about Android support:

Although we extensively tested with Android phones and tablets, we could not ensure a consistent and reliable Trueplay experience. We will continue to explore the use of Android devices for Trueplay tuning, but can’t confirm that it will be supported at this time.

so you put another £100 on the price and as we are a apple free household no trueplay for me. maybe you should have kept the old play 5 as an option for people like me. i would have bought another play 5 before christmas but wont be spending this amount of money on a speaker. and yes i do know the benefits of sonos as i have a play 1 and 5
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
To be honest Im quite disappointed. Its just a Play 5 with new lipstick. Yes, there is some innovation in Trueplay but this applies to all the Play series. Where is the innovation in this device compared to the old one ? swipe controls - meh ! Lets hope it sounds amazing because it sure doesnt do anything new.
Badge
shevans wrote:

I think you can see a line-in on the back of the rotating product render. I would be surprised if this would be removed.
CaptainObvious wrote:

shevans wrote:

I think you can see a line-in on the back of the rotating product render. I would be surprised if this would be removed.

Can see the network, line-in and pairing button but not the headphone socket 😞
Why the announcement today when there are no products available?

Also I'm disappointed that there's no Android support for trueplay, surely there needs to be some calibration of the microphone on even the iphones etc as they're not all going to be the same. I'm assuming you've tried a quiet calibration tone from a Sonos product to calibrate a phone microphone, I hope something like that can be made to work.
Looking at the new Bluesound Pulse mini for the same price, offers Bluetooth, optical input as well as a headphone socket whilst ofering support for hires music files.

I love my Sonos but over the years my muisc habits, requirement and needs of equipment have change as my family has grown. Some long time members will know I have tried many different platforms but stayed with Sonos but I really do think it time to rethink.
Badge
shevans wrote:

User813144 wrote:

They can bring it to Apple devices as there is a small range of microphones in the iPod/iPhone/iPad range, however there are many, many devices that run Android so it may not be practical to use the internal microphone, an external "Sonos" mic could be used?

THIS is the reason. With Apple products they have like maybe little over a dozen microphones to work with? With Android, there were over 4000 different models back in 2012, god knows how many different devices there are nowadays with varying level of mics etc. As an Android user, it is a shame Trueplay is not supported out of the box but it's not too much of a hassle to borrow an iPhone/iPad from a friend to run Trueplay once in each room, it's not like you have to perform this on a regular basis, right? Maybe there will be an external "Sonos microphone somewhere along the line but I would very much doubt it.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
nicka99 wrote:

To be honest Im quite disappointed. Its just a Play 5 with new lipstick. Yes, there is some innovation in Trueplay but this applies to all the Play series.

Well, I think iit's very good news that Trueplay does not apply only to new products!
Although I don't have any iDevice, I appreciate that Sonos develops FREE software that makes my old products better!
By the way, Trueplay doesn't seem to apply to CONNECT / CONNECT:AMP? I didn't see anything explicit about this.

Cheers,
Crilo
Badge
I hope it comes to Playbar soon. I'd have thought that would be the most important device to have it. That and the Play 1 rears.
I wonder if trueplay could be made to allow a 5.1 system to be put together without requiring a playbar?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Any reason trueplay does not (yet?) support the Playbar?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
shevans wrote:

Looking at the new Bluesound Pulse mini for the same price, offers Bluetooth, optical input as well as a headphone socket whilst ofering support for hires music files.

I love my Sonos but over the years my muisc habits, requirement and needs of equipment have change as my family has grown. Some long time members will know I have tried many different platforms but stayed with Sonos but I really do think it time to rethink.

Shevans. I agree. I was really surprised and disappointed to not see any additional input or music support options for their new flagship Play speaker.
crilo wrote:

Trueplay doesn't seem to apply to CONNECT / CONNECT:AMP? I didn't see anything explicit about this.

It doesn't - Sonos needs to be in control of all elements including the speaker units for it to work, so only play units will allow Trueplay tuning to work. What surprises me is that it won't have any effect on the Sub.
Badge +1
nicka99 wrote:

To be honest Im quite disappointed. Its just a Play 5 with new lipstick. Yes, there is some innovation in Trueplay but this applies to all the Play series. Where is the innovation in this device compared to the old one ? swipe controls - meh ! Lets hope it sounds amazing because it sure doesnt do anything new.

Having read reviews the new Play 5 is not just a facelift of the current Play 5, but is completely different inside and out. Really the changes are that different that it could have been given a completely different name. Have a look on the web and the detailed changes will be apparent.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Personally, I think Trueplay makes the Play:1 sound like a completely different speaker (for the better). I have been critical in the past of the Play:1 not having room filling sound and not up to par with the Play:3. Trueplay really changes my opinion of them in that they really can fill a medium sized room with good, undistorted music.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
yea... disappointed....what were they thinking focusing on making speakers sound better with new hardware and software.
Chris wrote:

Trueplay really changes my opinion of them in that they really can fill a medium sized room with good, undistorted music.

Good to hear, I look forward to the app upgrade. What happens if the play 1 pair is bonded to a Sub - does Trueplay offer a different outcome than what it would for a play 1 pair in the same location?

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings