Hardware News

Introducing Sonos Sub Gen 3, brilliant sound you can feel

Introducing Sonos Sub Gen 3, brilliant sound you can feel

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

88 replies

Not sure what further statement needs to be said, it’s been covered before, over and over.

1. the current software allows any Sub to be connected to one room at a time
  2. the Sonos software allows two subs to be used in a home theater room only, not in any other situation
  3. Sonos does not release a roadmap of any changes they are expecting to make to their software, so we have no idea whether or not they intend to, or are working on something like you request
  4. It has been requested before, many, many times, so they are aware of the desire, and it has already been passed on to the relevant teams
  5. You could just group your two rooms together, and have the Sub connected to whichever of the two speakers play right now
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

It even has 4GB of NV RAM (non volatile RAM) meaning certainly that it will be able to keep some settings permanently.

i wonder if previous modern units have NV RAM as well...

Badge

Why doesn’t the new sub work with S1, but the older subs work with both s1 and s2? I’m not ready to switch to S2 because I have older speakers in parts of my house too.  Can’t this Sub be made to work on S1 and just let me switch when I’m ready?

Why doesn’t the new sub work with S1, but the older subs work with both s1 and s2? I’m not ready to switch to S2 because I have older speakers in parts of my house too.  Can’t this Sub be made to work on S1 and just let me switch when I’m ready?

The new Sub will ship with S2 software, so it was solely designed and tested with S2 software.  This means there was no version of S1 software produced for this new Sub.  

The increase in RAM is likely more to do with marketing than necessity, if it’s anything like the RAM race that is going on with GPU’s.

@Ryan S : Can you confirm that the Gen 3 Sub has 2 GB of RAM? The specs regarding CPU, RAM suddenly disappeared from the product page, so any insight would be appreciated.

/Mikkel

Badge

And if it had that 2 GB, would you think that more RAM and the unsure future implication would justify to shell out 500 bucks?

My main problem with the Sub is I can't pair it with 2 speakers in the same room (Playbar and play:5). And as I understand, Gen 3 won't change that...

Curious why you would have two devices speakers in the same room? Is it a particular big room? If so, why wouldn’t you just play both in a group and then get the sub at part of that group?

Huge issue for me and why I have held off on buying a Sub. Because you have your tv sound using a sound bar (Playbase, Playbar, Beam, Arc), which cannot accommodate outboard L + R front speakers. But then in the same room (typically living room), you want a music-only setup with separated Ones/Fives. And because you’re not a sucker, you don’t want to pay $700 each for 2 Subs sitting right next to each other in the same room, that will never be used at the same time.

I really hope the extra RAM of this new Sub along with the 2.0 software means you can finally share a Sub between groups including auto switching the Trueplay data for the 2 groups (it’s been speculated a reason why you couldn’t previously do this was limited RAM in the Sub, but no idea if that’s true).

You can have front L/R speakers alongside a soundbar with rear L/R and a sub...you just pair the front set as (for example) 'Living Room front" and then group these with 'Living Room' (the soundbar, rear surrounds and sub) and then boom - you have an over the top but definitely better sounding surround system! 

Hopefully though with the arc there will be some Atmos rear speakers with upward facing cones, or Atmos ceiling speakers, and this OTT setup won't be of any benefit.

The sub and its extra RAM though who knows?! Its just a slave speaker so doesn't need much so I suspect its just been future proofed by sonos for things they have in the pipeline a few years away yet...

It’s still in GLOSS?

No matte Black to match the rest of the products?

This is holding me back from buying the sub...

Has anyone been able to locate the side felts? Manual states “SONOS SUB includes four (4) permanent felt feet you can attach to the corners of the unit”. However mine did not come with any?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Im confused, the specs for ram and hardrive is what ? 

https://web.archive.org/web/20200507004920/https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/sub.html
says 2gb here

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Similarly, I bought the Gen 2 only last week and was unsure whether I should exchange with the Gen3 for an additional £130. Spoke to a Sonos rep today and he advised I should stick with the  gen2 at the cheaper price as the only advantage of the gen 3 is future proofing. Food for thought. 

I too just purchased the Sonos Gen 2 Subwoofer a couple of month ago, and I’m not about to purchase the latest one, because it was so expensive. I just pre-ordered the Sonos Arc, hopefully I’ll get mine sooner than everybody else. 🙂

Can someone just plainly and simply state how “increased memory, processing power, and new wireless radio” actually means in sound performance? Am I the only one that thinks IDGAF if my speaker has more memory or processing power? It’s not a laptop. What is my system missing out on by having a version 2?