Hardware News

Introducing Sonos Sub Gen 3, brilliant sound you can feel

Introducing Sonos Sub Gen 3, brilliant sound you can feel

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

88 replies

@brbray and others of the same mindset...

Please answer one question regarding using the sub between different sets of speakers...

”why should a Sonos sub do more than a conventional sub?”

For me, it delivers on more of what separates SONOS from others in the category: simplicity and ease of use. Also, it seems like a given that a SONOS sub should do more than a conventional sub. It’s not a stand-alone device, but rather part of a flexible, wireless, multi-room system that changed the marketplace. 

Userlevel 7

@brbray and others of the same mindset...

Please answer one question regarding using the sub between different sets of speakers...

”why should a Sonos sub do more than a conventional sub?”

My main problem with the Sub is I can't pair it with 2 speakers in the same room (Playbar and play:5). And as I understand, Gen 3 won't change that...

Curious why you would have two devices speakers in the same room? Is it a particular big room? If so, why wouldn’t you just play both in a group and then get the sub at part of that group?

Huge issue for me and why I have held off on buying a Sub. Because you have your tv sound using a sound bar (Playbase, Playbar, Beam, Arc), which cannot accommodate outboard L + R front speakers. But then in the same room (typically living room), you want a music-only setup with separated Ones/Fives. And because you’re not a sucker, you don’t want to pay $700 each for 2 Subs sitting right next to each other in the same room, that will never be used at the same time.

I really hope the extra RAM of this new Sub along with the 2.0 software means you can finally share a Sub between groups including auto switching the Trueplay data for the 2 groups (it’s been speculated a reason why you couldn’t previously do this was limited RAM in the Sub, but no idea if that’s true).

My main problem with the Sub is I can't pair it with 2 speakers in the same room (Playbar and play:5). And as I understand, Gen 3 won't change that...

Curious why you would have two devices speakers in the same room? Is it a particular big room? If so, why wouldn’t you just play both in a group and then get the sub at part of that group?

Huge issue for me and why I have held off on buying a Sub. Because you have your tv sound using a sound bar (Playbase, Playbar, Beam, Arc), which cannot accommodate outboard L + R front speakers. But then in the same room (typically living room), you want a music-only setup with separated Ones/Fives. And because you’re not a sucker, you don’t want to pay $700 each for 2 Subs sitting right next to each other in the same room, that will never be used at the same time.

I really hope the extra RAM of this new Sub along with the 2.0 software means you can finally share a Sub between groups including auto switching the Trueplay data for the 2 groups (it’s been speculated a reason why you couldn’t previously do this was limited RAM in the Sub, but no idea if that’s true).

Couldn’t agree more! Not being able to share a sub between the Playbase and stereo pair of 5s (which are right beside the TV!) is a major oversight. If I could use the 5s as TV speakers, then I’d add the sub and get rid of the Playbase. 

It’s still in GLOSS?

No matte Black to match the rest of the products?

I also am annoyed by this. Gloss scratches if you look at it and feels so dated to me. (Also still appalled that I can’t pair the Sub to two groups (TV and a pair of 5s sitting on the same credenza))

I was disappointed yesterday not to see the predicted announcement about a mid-range Sub option come true. I get it on the one hand, they are banking on people being locked in to the ecosystem that they’ll fork over the $700 for the Sub to get the best experience. And I may end up caving too eventually. But I still think something like a $350/$400 Sub would be much more appealing product, even assuming it was slightly inferior bass to the big model.  I would have likely eventually bought two since I have two Beams. Who knows though, I could also see if they had a mid range Sub that it could just cannibalize the more expensive one since most people aren’t audiophiles, but I sure do think they would sell a lot more of them. 

Teah I have a sub but didnt pay full price since I got it for a military discount but the sub audience will always be limited by the price.  I’m sure they are afraid a smaller sub would cannabilize sales of the bigger one but for a Beam and two ones paying $699 for a sub add on is pretty ridiculous.

They could have made the sub sound better by having it go lower and better detail.  Its very much a home theater sub but not that great for music.  Lot’s of $4 to 500 regular subs sound better.  I would have used a 3rd party sub with my Amp but there were too many reports of issues.

I have some wifi stability issues with my current sub gen 2. I see wifi radio is updated in the internals of gen 3, but what does that mean exactly? What’s the difference?

At minimum I hope they replaced the ancient spanning tree protocol they used which caused so many issues with mesh wifi.

And what should I say after just getting the Sub a week ago? :D 

I have the option to return it for few months from now.

The question is: is it worth it to do that and pay 150€ more for Gen 3? 

Return it for sure and get the latest.  

Userlevel 7

Hi Ryan

Just trying to get some clarification on the available Finishes for the Sub (gen3). 

Features and Specs state the following:

However FAQ’s state what’s below which could be interpreted as a forthcoming optional NEW finish for the Sub (gen3) other than gloss...like matte (or maybe a more durable scratch resistant gloss finish). Still it could imply a deeper black or whiter white. The latter could make it hard to be in the same room without sunglasses :sweat_smile:  LOL

Please clarify. Thanks!

You can have front L/R speakers alongside a soundbar with rear L/R and a sub...you just pair the front set as (for example) 'Living Room front" and then group these with 'Living Room' (the soundbar, rear surrounds and sub) and then boom - you have an over the top but definitely better sounding surround system! 

Hopefully though with the arc there will be some Atmos rear speakers with upward facing cones, or Atmos ceiling speakers, and this OTT setup won't be of any benefit.

The sub and its extra RAM though who knows?! Its just a slave speaker so doesn't need much so I suspect its just been future proofed by sonos for things they have in the pipeline a few years away yet...

Badge

And if it had that 2 GB, would you think that more RAM and the unsure future implication would justify to shell out 500 bucks?

@Ryan S : Can you confirm that the Gen 3 Sub has 2 GB of RAM? The specs regarding CPU, RAM suddenly disappeared from the product page, so any insight would be appreciated.

/Mikkel

I’d get the gen 2 device. 

Badge

What would you do in my place? I’ve ordered the Arc and now have the option of either buying the Sub Gen 2 new for 599 minus loyalty Miles for ~300 or buy the new Sub for a whopping 799, i.e. 500 more expensive.

Userlevel 1

Similarly, I bought the Gen 2 only last week and was unsure whether I should exchange with the Gen3 for an additional £130. Spoke to a Sonos rep today and he advised I should stick with the  gen2 at the cheaper price as the only advantage of the gen 3 is future proofing. Food for thought. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Ryan S

I bought the SUB gen2 3 months ago at full retail.

The new SUB gen3, what would be the advantage of me selling the gen2 and buying the gen3?

Does the increased memory and CPU mean that it will be able to perform something different than the gen2?

Currently, and at launch, the increased computing components won’t be adding new features, but in the future there’s always a possibility that it may. The increase in memory, processing power, and more powerful wireless radio will help already in some situations where people might experience connection trouble, but they are targeted at improving the foundation of the device for features that will come in the future. There’s nothing currently that the old Sub can’t do, but the new Sub gen 3 will do them all better. 

I have some wifi stability issues with my current sub gen 2. I see wifi radio is updated in the internals of gen 3, but what does that mean exactly? What’s the difference?

The new Sub will be able to handle the job better, but if the environment is extremely poor, it still may have issues. A better wireless card isn’t always the solution. Like with the Boost, it will perform better, but it’s not a magic bullet. 

Thanks Ryan for the clarification, So now I will have to order the new Arc for my movies and can keep the Gen2 Sub. 😍 Which then should perform excellent in the new S2 platform if I understood correctly...

I was disappointed yesterday not to see the predicted announcement about a mid-range Sub option come true. I get it on the one hand, they are banking on people being locked in to the ecosystem that they’ll fork over the $700 for the Sub to get the best experience. And I may end up caving too eventually. But I still think something like a $350/$400 Sub would be much more appealing product, even assuming it was slightly inferior bass to the big model.  I would have likely eventually bought two since I have two Beams. Who knows though, I could also see if they had a mid range Sub that it could just cannibalize the more expensive one since most people aren’t audiophiles, but I sure do think they would sell a lot more of them. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

@Ryan S

The new SUB gen3, what would be the advantage of me selling the gen2 and buying the gen3?

Does the increased memory and CPU mean that it will be able to perform something different than the gen2?

Currently, and at launch, the increased computing components won’t be adding new features, but in the future there’s always a possibility that it may. The increase in memory, processing power, and more powerful wireless radio will help already in some situations where people might experience connection trouble, but they are targeted at improving the foundation of the device for features that will come in the future. There’s nothing currently that the old Sub can’t do, but the new Sub gen 3 will do them all better. 

The new Sub will be able to handle the job better, but if the environment is extremely poor, it still may have issues. A better wireless card isn’t always the solution. Like with the Boost, it will perform better, but it’s not a magic bullet. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Currently using a G2 Sub on an all Cat6 wired system. Hoping this is just a wifi radio update or I’m gonna lose it. I’m knee deep in Sonos and I don’t think I can take another product update. Just hoping S2 has a better interface. Would love to limit my ‘taps’ to listen to music without having to IFTTT.

Brace yourself …. according to the Sub product page, the Gen 3 has a large update to it’s internals, including double the RAM of any other Sonos player, including the new Arc. I bet they have big plans for what this new sub can do, maybe it will allow 2 or more subs at once or 2 or more rooms to use the sub or coordination with older speakers or separate airplay2 target.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

Currently using a G2 Sub on an all Cat6 wired system. Hoping this is just a wifi radio update or I’m gonna lose it. I’m knee deep in Sonos and I don’t think I can take another product update. Just hoping S2 has a better interface. Would love to limit my ‘taps’ to listen to music without having to IFTTT.

Can Sonos please furnish the community with some benchmark results of the new Arc with / without the Sub, or a bass comparison of the Arc vs the Playbar?

It’s still in GLOSS?

This is holding me back from buying the sub...

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Ryan S 

Regards:Kristoffer

Userlevel 1

It’s still in GLOSS?

Userlevel 2
Badge

It even has 4GB of NV RAM (non volatile RAM) meaning certainly that it will be able to keep some settings permanently.

i wonder if previous modern units have NV RAM as well...