Hardware News

Introducing Sonos Sub Gen 3, brilliant sound you can feel

Introducing Sonos Sub Gen 3, brilliant sound you can feel

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

88 replies

What would this mean for the sub gen 2 which I bought just 6 months ago. Will that become a legacy unit soon?  That would be pretty disappointing.

No.  Sonos guarantees that products produced today will be supportted for at least 5 years, usually longer.  Being that the original Sub is part of S2, I susppect it will be much much longer in this case.

If not what would be the major difference between this and the gen 2 aside from the memory? I understand the gen 2 only has 128mb right?  

It doesn’t sound like there is any difference on the acoustic side of things.  I think the upgraded hardware is going to mostly be useful for reducing the possibility of wireless communication issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi Ryan

Just trying to get some clarification on the available Finishes for the Sub (gen3). 

Hey AjTrek1, I checked in with the team to make sure. The finishing changes are some smaller changes to the Sonos text on the product and the coloring on the inner ring. The grander finish hasn’t changed from the Sub Gen 2’s glossy finish.

Badge

i own 2 sonos subs,

having them connected to the play 1's play 3's and play 5's (gen 2)

--one thing is for sure. if you want the sub to kick some serious ass, just put it in a place where it resonates. check out the bass crawl technique https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4o13mNmlaA

sonos has a feature that you can in advanced audio settings turn the sub up if you feel like there isn't enough oomph there.

if you put it in a spot that resonates you will certainly hear it a lot further through the house

recommendations. when in use with the play bar believe me you need this in your life, as i said you can adjust the bass where ever needed. yes i do agree the bass at higher volumes can distort. how ever you can place this thoughtfully in your home where it resonates for volume.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Simple setup?…. Except the supplied mains lead will not fit correctly into the sub without forcing it! Had to use a lead of my own to avoid damaging the sub frame or supplied mains lead.

Hi @Lawsonandrew, sounds like your Sub shipped with the wrong power cord. Sorry to hear about that. If you need a new power cord shipped out, the support team can help get you the right one. 

From those who have, no. 

However, $1.29 at the local home depot took care of that. And the one under the bed is on carpet. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

And what should I say after just getting the Sub a week ago? :D 

I have the option to return it for few months from now.

The question is: is it worth it to do that and pay 150€ more for Gen 3? 

My main problem with the Sub is I can't pair it with 2 speakers in the same room (Playbar and play:5). And as I understand, Gen 3 won't change that...

Curious why you would have two devices speakers in the same room? Is it a particular big room? If so, why wouldn’t you just play both in a group and then get the sub at part of that group?

Hi,

I am also wondering why gen3 is having 2gb of RAM compared to the very low RAM of the gen2. 
it is even double the RAM Arc is having…

for a so called slave device it is weird…

i really think I will return my brand new gen2 to get the gen3 and more future proof... 

Where are you seeing information on the RAM of the gen 3 Sub and Arc?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hi,

I am also wondering why gen3 is having 2gb of RAM compared to the very low RAM of the gen2. 
it is even double the RAM Arc is having…

for a so called slave device it is weird…

i really think I will return my brand new gen2 to get the gen3 and more future proof... 

Where are you seeing information on the RAM of the gen 3 Sub and Arc?

It's in Features and Specs in the new product pages. I want to chalk it up to a typo but I can't imagine that it would go unnoticed by Sonos employees.

Userlevel 7

Hi Ryan

Just trying to get some clarification on the available Finishes for the Sub (gen3). 

Features and Specs state the following:

However FAQ’s state what’s below which could be interpreted as a forthcoming optional NEW finish for the Sub (gen3) other than gloss...like matte (or maybe a more durable scratch resistant gloss finish). Still it could imply a deeper black or whiter white. The latter could make it hard to be in the same room without sunglasses :sweat_smile:  LOL

Please clarify. Thanks!

I’m currently owning a PlayBase and 2 Play:1 surround speakers.

It looks like the new Sub G3 is compatible with S2 only. Does it mean I can’t connect a  Sub G3 and should look for a used G1 or G2 ?

I’m currently owning a PlayBase and 2 Play:1 surround speakers.

It looks like the new Sub G3 is compatible with S2 only. Does it mean I can’t connect a  Sub G3 and should look for a used G1 or G2 ?

Yes, if you’ve chosen to stick with an S1 Household, but I don’t understand why you haven’t moved your PlayBase and Play:1’s over to an S2 system, as all are completely compatible with S2?

Has anyone been able to locate the side felts? Manual states “SONOS SUB includes four (4) permanent felt feet you can attach to the corners of the unit”. However mine did not come with any?

I could not see the answer?  I have the same issue.  Did you find out where to get them? Thanks all!

And what should I say after just getting the Sub a week ago? :D 

I have the option to return it for few months from now.

The question is: is it worth it to do that and pay 150€ more for Gen 3? 

My main problem with the Sub is I can't pair it with 2 speakers in the same room (Playbar and play:5). And as I understand, Gen 3 won't change that...

Return it for sure and get the latest.  

I have some wifi stability issues with my current sub gen 2. I see wifi radio is updated in the internals of gen 3, but what does that mean exactly? What’s the difference?

At minimum I hope they replaced the ancient spanning tree protocol they used which caused so many issues with mesh wifi.

I was disappointed yesterday not to see the predicted announcement about a mid-range Sub option come true. I get it on the one hand, they are banking on people being locked in to the ecosystem that they’ll fork over the $700 for the Sub to get the best experience. And I may end up caving too eventually. But I still think something like a $350/$400 Sub would be much more appealing product, even assuming it was slightly inferior bass to the big model.  I would have likely eventually bought two since I have two Beams. Who knows though, I could also see if they had a mid range Sub that it could just cannibalize the more expensive one since most people aren’t audiophiles, but I sure do think they would sell a lot more of them. 

Teah I have a sub but didnt pay full price since I got it for a military discount but the sub audience will always be limited by the price.  I’m sure they are afraid a smaller sub would cannabilize sales of the bigger one but for a Beam and two ones paying $699 for a sub add on is pretty ridiculous.

They could have made the sub sound better by having it go lower and better detail.  Its very much a home theater sub but not that great for music.  Lot’s of $4 to 500 regular subs sound better.  I would have used a 3rd party sub with my Amp but there were too many reports of issues.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Currently using a G2 Sub on an all Cat6 wired system. Hoping this is just a wifi radio update or I’m gonna lose it. I’m knee deep in Sonos and I don’t think I can take another product update. Just hoping S2 has a better interface. Would love to limit my ‘taps’ to listen to music without having to IFTTT.

Height 19.9 new,  Old was 15.3

Width  18.9 New, Old was 15.8

Depth  8.85 New, Old was 6.2

according to Best Buy’s comparison is what I see.

Looks like Best Buy accidentally put out the box dimensions rather than product dimensions?

I have some wifi stability issues with my current sub gen 2. I see wifi radio is updated in the internals of gen 3, but what does that mean exactly? What’s the difference?

Badge +1

Hoping someone can help. I had a gen3 sub delivered last week - new, ordered direct from Sonos. Very pleased with the sound etc. But I’m concerned about the spec. The website advertises that the gen3 has 256MB RAM and flash, but this one has 128/128. 

I also noticed that it seemed to have an existing room name or something in it when I set it up. 

Have I been sent an older spec refurb? In the “my account” section on the website it reports as a gen3. Obviously I’m concerned about future proofing but I also don’t want to have paid full price for a refurb. Not happy that I have not been sent the spec advertised on the Sonos U.K. website  

I’ve queried this directly with Europe customer services but their response time is usually greater than a week! 

Is there anyone please that could comment on whether this spec is current for gen3? 

Thanks for any ideas 

Badge +1

@Ryan S are you able to advise on this please?

Userlevel 7

@Jamesk 

Sadly @Ryan S is no longer employed by Sonos.

Badge +1

oh sorry, that is a pity!

Is there anyone else that can comment on the Sub gen3 spec?
As above, the website spec claims 256/256, but the new one I’ve just been sent has 128/128. Is this normal? I want to make sure I haven’t been sent old stock or a refurb.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Jamesk 

I suggest you call and/or email Sonos for a definitive answer. I see your confusion. If you get answer would you be so kind as to post it in the community here and and as a separate topic.

Cheers!

Badge +1

of course. I’ve emailed, as I’m still within the 100 day return period.