Introducing Sonos Port, Brilliant Sound Connected

• 5 September 2019
  • 255 replies
Introducing Sonos Port, Brilliant Sound Connected
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Community Manager
  • 12389 replies
Sonos Port is the versatile streaming component for your stereo or receiver. Port is available in limited quantities on Sonos.com and select partner retailers from September 12th, with full availability coming January 2020.

Port is the successor to Connect, delivering richer sound and extending Sonos’ sound platform to your traditional home audio equipment. Connect Port to your traditional stereo to stream music, podcasts, audiobooks, and Internet radio on your amplified audio equipment. You can also stream vinyl, CDs, and stored audio files to other Sonos speakers around your home using the line-in connection.

With Port you can easily control your traditional speakers using the Sonos app, voice assistants when wirelessly connected to a voice-enabled device, or Apple AirPlay 2.

Port includes an updated digital-to-analog converter for clearly detailed sound along with a 12V trigger, which automatically turns on your amplifier to get music playing more reliably. Port also features a matte black finish and versatile design compatible with a standard AV rack.

Connections:

Ports and Connections:
  • Power plug.
  • One analog RCA audio line-out.
  • One digital audio (coaxial) line-out
  • One 12V trigger output.
  • One RCA line-in connection.
  • Two Ethernet ports, offering 10/100 switching.
Line-out:
Audio line-out through either analog (RCA) or digital (coaxial) to connect amplified audio equipment. You can use Port with any compatible receiver or amplifier to add Sonos streaming capabilities and group it with other Sonos speakers throughout your home. The 12V trigger automatically turns on your stereo or receiver when you hit play, so you have a more reliable way to get the music playing.

Setting up:
Port is designed to be used with your traditional sound system. Plug in the power, connect it to your WiFi network using your Sonos app, and connect Port to your devices using the analog or digital coaxial connection. See our setup guide here for more resources on setting up Sonos.

Pre-order today on Sonos.com for $399 US (€449 EUR), available in limited quantities starting September 12th. Full availability begins January 2020.

255 replies

The power cable for the Port feels cheap and flimsy.

No more than any other low voltage cable, surely? The power supply itself is integrated in the wall plug. The electrical current requirement is decidedly modest.

The other issue I have is the list price for a Beam is £399, for a Port it is £399. How can those two items be the same price? You get so much more with the Beam. Even the discounted price for the Port feels at the top end of ‘value’, I would have been far from happy if I had paid the full price for it.

Sonos is no different to many other companies, where their product prices aren’t related to the cost of production, but to what they think that the market will bear. If they can reduce the build quality but still sell the product at a high price to eager punters, that’s what they’ll do….

Here’s another review of the Port saying that the sound (with coaxial) is much worse than the Connect (with optical).  How is this possible?  Isn’t it sending the same digital output?

https://www.techhive.com/article/3546333/sonos-port-review.html

Here’s another review of the Port saying that the sound (with coaxial) is much worse than the Connect (with optical).  How is this possible?  Isn’t it sending the same digital output?

https://www.techhive.com/article/3546333/sonos-port-review.html

Of course it is.  These subjective reviews are typical audiophile nonsense, heavy on flowery prose, low on facts.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

See a lot of posts talking about the Port’s price.  I guess I’m here to add to that.

My potential use case for the Port is to have streaming music sent to my A/V receiver (which now powers in-ceiling speakers and a (floor) sub (5.1 sound) - for the family room TV.  I already have streaming music to it now, via an aging Logitech Squeezebox system (which functions almost exactly like the Port) -- but it would be nice to have everything on the same eco-system (Sonos), for grouping and ease of use.  Not sure it is worth $450.00 in order to do this though.  If the Port was about $275.00 or so, it would be a no-brainer. 

Also, since the in-ceiling speakers are obviously not mobile (and I won’t be in this house forever), thought about instead buying 2 Sonos Ones (making them a stereo pair) for the family room instead of the Port (which would cost $380.00).  That way even if I move, I have extra Sonos Ones (currently have 3 scattered around the house).  But I  have no place to plug them in without the power cords dangling/showing (family room TV is above a fireplace) and the Ones would have to sit on the mantle, which is well below the TV.   Too bad the Port is so expensive, because the Port could just slip in my cabinet in place of the Squeezebox.   Hoping the Port goes on sale, maybe this winter.