Introducing Sonos Port, Brilliant Sound Connected

• 5 September 2019
  • 256 replies
Introducing Sonos Port, Brilliant Sound Connected
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Community Manager
  • 12389 replies
Sonos Port is the versatile streaming component for your stereo or receiver. Port is available in limited quantities on Sonos.com and select partner retailers from September 12th, with full availability coming January 2020.

Port is the successor to Connect, delivering richer sound and extending Sonos’ sound platform to your traditional home audio equipment. Connect Port to your traditional stereo to stream music, podcasts, audiobooks, and Internet radio on your amplified audio equipment. You can also stream vinyl, CDs, and stored audio files to other Sonos speakers around your home using the line-in connection.

With Port you can easily control your traditional speakers using the Sonos app, voice assistants when wirelessly connected to a voice-enabled device, or Apple AirPlay 2.

Port includes an updated digital-to-analog converter for clearly detailed sound along with a 12V trigger, which automatically turns on your amplifier to get music playing more reliably. Port also features a matte black finish and versatile design compatible with a standard AV rack.

Connections:

Ports and Connections:
  • Power plug.
  • One analog RCA audio line-out.
  • One digital audio (coaxial) line-out
  • One 12V trigger output.
  • One RCA line-in connection.
  • Two Ethernet ports, offering 10/100 switching.
Line-out:
Audio line-out through either analog (RCA) or digital (coaxial) to connect amplified audio equipment. You can use Port with any compatible receiver or amplifier to add Sonos streaming capabilities and group it with other Sonos speakers throughout your home. The 12V trigger automatically turns on your stereo or receiver when you hit play, so you have a more reliable way to get the music playing.

Setting up:
Port is designed to be used with your traditional sound system. Plug in the power, connect it to your WiFi network using your Sonos app, and connect Port to your devices using the analog or digital coaxial connection. See our setup guide here for more resources on setting up Sonos.

Pre-order today on Sonos.com for $399 US (€449 EUR), available in limited quantities starting September 12th. Full availability begins January 2020.

256 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I’d say might be switched to Legacy at the five year mark, if it doesn’t have a limitation forcing Sonos to do another fork in the firmware it may well stay Current for many years past the 5 year mark. Forks are a pain and an expense and I can’t see Sonos doing one until absolutely necessary.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Way too expensive to be obsolete in 5 years. Way too expensive to begin with. Does the same thing an Echo Dot does, save the 12V trigger. Should be priced way less than the cheapest Sonos speaker. Nothing more than a cash grab to protect the business case for the speakers. So done with Sonos. 

Does the same thing an Echo Dot does, save the 12V trigger.

Not even remotely comparable, other than both can 'play music'. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I know right?  the Port costs 10x more and doesn't even have microphones, or a speaker and 8gb ram vs 512mb. 😂😂😂😗 I kid.

Way too expensive to be obsolete in 5 years. Way too expensive to begin with. Does the same thing an Echo Dot does, save the 12V trigger. Should be priced way less than the cheapest Sonos speaker. Nothing more than a cash grab to protect the business case for the speakers. So done with Sonos. 

Just stop.  The 5 years is from the time it stops selling.  These just came out last year.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I know right?  the Port costs 10x more and doesn't even have microphones, or a speaker and 8gb ram vs 512mb. 😂😂😂😗 I kid.

Exactly. There are some users where a high end DAC makes sense, but 4-5 dots hooked up to a multi-room amp would work for me. That’s always been an issue for me with Sonos. If I’m supplying the amp and speakers (a must now in legacy-times) then the price shouldn’t be any more than a Play 1. The reason this is priced so high is to protect us from hooking it up to powered speakers. That worked 10 years ago, as no one else was distributing audio wirelessly and in sync, but if I had to do it all over again now (and it looks like I will) there’s much better options for the money. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Exactly. There are some users where a high end DAC makes sense, but 4-5 dots hooked up to a multi-room amp would work for me. That’s always been an issue for me with Sonos. If I’m supplying the amp and speakers (a must now in legacy-times) then the price shouldn’t be any more than a Play 1. The reason this is priced so high is to protect us from hooking it up to powered speakers. That worked 10 years ago, as no one else was distributing audio wirelessly and in sync, but if I had to do it all over again now (and it looks like I will) there’s much better options for the money. 

4 or 5 echo dots hooked up to a multi room amp wouldn't do it for me and my family but different strokes for different folks.

TBH for me only I don't really see the Port as being too expensive for what it is. If you have speakers and an amp that you really love the Port brings the Sonos functionality to them. 

That said I'm in the market and am not buying pending  how it plays out in May. 

But I might pick up one of those echo dots with a clock 😀

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m stuck on why I can’t use a port with a play bar and sub for the rear surround channels? I have a pair of B&O beolab3s with their own amps. A Port running these for surround sound would be great for me. 

Is there any feature request / plan to be able to add Port as the rear surround like one can do with the new amp?

Cheers. 

4 or 5 echo dots hooked up to a multi room amp wouldn't do it for me and my family but different strokes for different folks.

TBH for me only I don't really see the Port as being too expensive for what it is. If you have speakers and an amp that you really love the Port brings the Sonos functionality to them. 

I certainly think it’s overpriced by a large margin. Barring the 12v trigger and Airplay2 support (which all the new products receive), it has less functionality than the Connect it replaces, and yet it’s $100 more. It has significantly less capability and versatility as a number of of similar units out there (and, no, I am not talking about Echo Dots, etc….. ‘sorry’ to the folks above, but that’s just a silly comparison).  :smile:

The Connect was my Sonos gateway a long while back, and it’s this paltry replacement that has pushed me away from Sonos far more than any of the end-of-support hoopla (though the announcement prompted this examination). Had the Port been more compelling, that hoopla would have amounted to quite bit less hoopla as far as I’m personally concerned/involved. The Port is too expensive for what it is. And that right there is a bonafide opinion.

I'm underwhelmed.

• Still only 10/100Mbps Ethernet. Limits its utility as a pass-thru.
  • No physical controls. (I use the controls on my Connects frequently.)
  • Loss of the digital optical output present on the Connect

As for the enhanced DAC, it will be interesting to see if anyone can actually tell the difference compared to the Connect, under controlled listening conditions.

Finally, it's far too expensive. Maximum price should be $250.

The name is OK, I suppose.

This is a ridiculous move on Sonos’ part.  Dropping the optical out makes this a deal-breaker.  And to ask for more $, no thanks.

I certainly think it’s overpriced by a large margin. Barring the 12v trigger and Airplay2 support (which all the new products receive), it has less functionality than the Connect it replaces, and yet it’s $100 more. It has significantly less capability and versatility as a number of of similar units out there (and, no, I am not talking about Echo Dots, etc….. ‘sorry’ to the folks above, but that’s just a silly comparison).  :smile:

The Connect was my Sonos gateway a long while back, and it’s this paltry replacement that has pushed me away from Sonos far more than any of the end-of-support hoopla (though the announcement prompted this examination). Had the Port been more compelling, that hoopla would have amounted to quite bit less hoopla as far as I’m personally concerned/involved. The Port is too expensive for what it is. And that right there is a bonafide opinion.

I have been such a Sonos cheerleader for the past many years.  I have Connects, Amps and multiple Play1 speakers, which I refer to as ‘Chicklets’ and this latest product reswizzle is the most disappointing thing I’ve seen in years from a company I’ve had very few complaints about over the years. Who is in charge of these product decisions, BAD ideas!  So, so disappointed in where things are right now and where I see them going with Sonos.

NEED the optical out.  Come on, removing that is ridiculous!

Userlevel 1

Two issues with this one - price and no optical out.

Oh well, no more Sonos for me.  Annoying really as I like the kit I have and would like to expand but need the right connectivity for my setup.

On the legacy thread there is a graph showing the memory for the port against all the others and considering this is a brand new product it seems rather middle of the road.  So I must wonder how long this device will actually be supported for - before I get jumped on, this is now a huge consideration when investing in Sonos kit now as personally I need to be sure that this will last and not just be obsoleted on a whim by Sonos.

Why in the world didn’t Sonos Product Development reach out to many/any of us who’ve been users and stauch advocates for the Sonos ecosystems for the past many years when deciding which features to incorporate or delete from the Connect and Connect: Amp replacement offerings?  In this day and age when staying in touch with your customer base is easier than it’s ever been, of all companies I would have thought Sonos would have done this properly.  As I look at the new hardware, I can tell that was NOT the case in any way.  Maybe I’m too set in my current Sonos ways or just so happy with what all my Sonos components do for me daily, but I am not looking for more features or functionality.  I don’t want to talk to my system.  There’s literally nothing more I long for that I can’t do with my many zones and Play speakers.  I’m as impressed today as I was when I kept adding units to receivers and mini-systems and integrated amps t/o my house.  That I can connect to my Spotify Premium and Amazon Prime Music accounts as seamlessly as I do, brave for making that possible.  But I’m set.  And if you wanted to force my hand to move to new hardware because my ‘old stuff’ can’t be made to accept all the upgrades that are being pushed or will be pushed, regardless of whether a users wants/needs it, then I at least would ask for and expect feature parity.  The price increases don’t seem justifiable given that Sonos doesn’t seem to have worked with the very people who talked up the platform for all these years.  I’ve been a beta customer for years and welcomed giving feedback.  I could have been contacted to offer my 2 cents on what’s important in devices like the Port and whatever replaces my ‘Amp’ unit.  I want to still love my Sonos setup, but all that I’m seeing and reading just isn’t sitting well.  And I genuinely thought that what I have experienced as a Sonos user and owner was above & beyond any/many other audio platform option out there.  That’s why I’m so disappointed.  Maybe someone will write me to say things like optical outs are coming back on some hardware revision in the future.  I’m an optimist though don’t think that’s really going to happen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Two issues with this one - price and no optical out.

Oh well, no more Sonos for me.  Annoying really as I like the kit I have and would like to expand but need the right connectivity for my setup.

On the legacy thread there is a graph showing the memory for the port against all the others and considering this is a brand new product it seems rather middle of the road.  So I must wonder how long this device will actually be supported for - before I get jumped on, this is now a huge consideration when investing in Sonos kit now as personally I need to be sure that this will last and not just be obsoleted on a whim by Sonos.

The devices with more memory need it for running home theater systems or voice control. The Port, as with other devices not needing that level of computing hardware will last long into the future. It’s been said here several times, but we’re committed to supporting the devices with updates for at least 5 years after it stops being sold. And even after that, they’ll keep on working for longer still even without updates. 

If an optical connection is needed, there are some great coaxial to optical converters out there, though we recommend using coaxial all the way over optical in this application.

With regards to the Port and memory, I believe what you say about it not needing it today. But maybe in a year or two it will need it and it goes legacy.

As a premium product that just had a price increase I'm not impressed that  the Sonos One at half the cost has double the Ram. Not to mention the lack of optical! 🤬

With regards to the Port and memory, I believe what you say about it not needing it today. But maybe in a year or two it will need it and it goes legacy.

As a premium product that just had a price increase I'm not impressed that  the Sonos One at half the cost has double the Ram. Not to mention the lack of optical! 🤬

The extra memory in the One/Beam is for on board voice control, which the Port does not have.

The extra memory in the One/Beam is for on board voice control, which the Port does not have.

Sure, but I'm asking myself so what do I get for the extra money spent on the Port? No optical and half the Ram. Maybe half the updates. This whole thing is messed up. For the price I want double the Ram of the one.

Userlevel 1

I’m just here to pile on.

No optical…you can tell me your coax is superior all day long, but if it doesn’t plug into my device, that’s meaningless. If I’m paying $400 for this, it should connect to any device I need it to, without an additional dongle.

Also, $400? You guys are way too full of yourselves, and I for one, am done investing in this ecosystem. You just obsoleted my Connect, and now you want more $ for a replacement with less functionality (for my needs). Forget it. This too will become obsolete, such a waste.

I hope a new competitor comes along and eats your lunch by creating a company more in the spirit of Sonos’s roots, before you were more beholden to shareholders profits than your customers. Good day!

We have always recommended Sonos Connects to our customers looking to replace old whole home audio systems. Now they are replaced with a port that has less functionality. Why is there no ability to use it as surround speakers?  No optical? No controls?  At $450 retail for a single zone pre-amp, it is really difficult sell.  

It’s hard understand how a $99 Symfonisk can act as a Sonos zone, amplifier and has a built in speaker, but a Port is just a zone controller at 4x the price.  It might be an idea to take apart a few Symfonisk speakers and take the audio from them to use with existing speakers/amps.

I usually don’t complain about companies and I have always been a fan of Sonos since the beginning, but I’m really starting to lose faith in the direction of your company. 

It seems that since you are a publicly traded company product turnover is most important you. 

Please go back to the Sonos that was once a group of guys passionate about creating great products. 

If an optical connection is needed, there are some great coaxial to optical converters out there, though we recommend using coaxial all the way over optical in this application.

I’m a bit late to the party, here…. This sounds like you’re saying that digital coax is higher quality than optical? If so, does this apply to the ZP90 as well? I went for optical connection as I believed that it was ‘better’, but…..

I’m a bit late to the party, here…. This sounds like you’re saying that digital coax is higher quality than optical? If so, does this apply to the ZP90 as well? I went for optical connection as I believed that it was ‘better’, but…..

It depends. Coax can be used over longer cable runs and has better jitter characteristics. Optical offers electrical isolation. Coax connectors and cable are more durable than optical.

It depends. Coax can be used over longer cable runs and has better jitter characteristics. Optical offers electrical isolation. Coax connectors and cable are more durable than optical.

TFT… 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Has the Port already been discontinued?  I tried to find it on sonos.com and a search on their site doesn’t even pull it up.

edit: I found it on the banner on the front page.  However, it doesn’t show up under “components” and search yields zero results.  Hard to buy one if you can’t find it

Has the Port already been discontinued?  I tried to find it on sonos.com and a search on their site doesn’t even pull it up.

edit: I found it on the banner on the front page.  However, it doesn’t show up under “components” and search yields zero results.  Hard to buy one if you can’t find it

See this link, which should be accessible via 'audio components' …

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/port.html