Hardware News

Introducing Sonos Port, Brilliant Sound Connected

• 5 September 2019
  • 168 replies
Introducing Sonos Port, Brilliant Sound Connected

Show first post

168 replies

Given that you have exposed the myth that people that people can hear the difference between commodity DACs, why cllng on to the myth that they can hear the difference between CD quality and HiRes?
My Port plugs in to a Chord Hugo TT. Unless their is news that it will eventually play high res I don’t see much point in keeping it.
Yes, I too would be inclined to dispose of the DAC. The ~£1.5k they fetch on eBay could be put to good use.
That’s not a bad idea, I could then get another 3 Ports to replace my Connects, it’s a £1 weekend on eBay this week..

I wonder how much Connects go for now? They were about £150-190
Thanx again for all the replies.
R
I'm curious as to how a digital signal can be subject to "jitter". Can you point me to some resources that explain this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
One benefit to the Port that hasn't been mentioned yet is it's form factor would allow it to be wall mounted behind a TV. I can see this being useful from someone using a non-Sonos soundbar that has multiple inputs.
I'm curious as to how a digital signal can be subject to "jitter". Can you point me to some resources that explain this?

Jitter is basically timing inaccuracies. Here's a link to the Wiki on jitter in regards to sampling and ADC/DAC conversion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jitter#Sampling_jitter

Note, modern implementations of digital audio with jitter far below the level of audibility can be achieved with commodity level parts. Audiophiles will say differently, but that's why they are audiophiles.
So it's an issue with the endpoints, and not the actual digital signal. That makes more sense to me.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I would like to know when are sonos going to turn round and say that the connect can no longer be used on this system as it is now outdated and will not support the new software....which with all these new speakers, amps and now the Port that have been introduced just lately, I don't think it will be that long down the road.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I would like to know when are sonos going to turn round and say that the connect can no longer be used on this system as it is now outdated and will not support the new software....which with all these new speakers, amps and now the Port that have been introduced just lately, I don't think it will be that long down the road.

Given that's it's predecessor, the ZP80 I believe it was, is still supported, I think we're at least a few years away before the Connect is no longer supported.
Userlevel 1
It has sort of a Pre-Amp in the sense you can do a physical analog input and switch it to streaming using the app. So it has two sources that it can switch between (or hundreds if you consider each service a different source). It then has analog out that could be plugged into a power amp. Sonos has internal volume control so it checks the boxes to me.

It isn't a significant upgrade if you don't need Airplay 2 or the 12v Trigger assuming the DAC isn't a huge improvement.

@buzz I haven't come across a peer reviewed article on this I can think of. With most other competitors (B&W, BlueSound, KEF (kinda), and Chromecast enabled) allowing 24/96 at least I think higer rates is a trend. Tidal, Qobuz, and Deezer offer the rates streaming now. I can hear some subtle differences on certain MQA albums on Tidal vs the HIFI stream (Tame Impala Currents comes to mind). Most of the MQA albums I don't hear any difference however.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
It has sort of a Pre-Amp

No, it doesn't.

You cannot plug a phono turntable into the Port and get a line level signal.
Userlevel 1
The terms phono preamps and preamps are different. You’re right that it doesn’t have phono preamp.
I’m in the same boat. I have three Connects all of them outputting over optical to powered speakers; two AVI ADM9s and one to a Yamaha Soundbar.
There are of course inexpensive S/PDIF coax-to-optical converters available. Indeed I bought one many years ago to feed ADM9s from .... an AVI CD player. Such a converter doesn't need to be expensive: all it does is translate one form of media signalling to another; it doesn't even need to change the bit encoding pattern.

The good thing about Sonos is that old products remain supported for a very long time, the ZP80 (precursor to the SP100/Connect) is still supported isn’t it?

ZP80 is certainly still supported.

My slight worry is that the current product line up is totally different from when I first bought my Connects and Connect:Amps and given it is a totally new product lineup will the old products cease to be supported. That would be a shame.

ZP100 is still supported, some 14 years after its release.

This product is a couple major missed opportunities.  

First, you could have jumped on Bose’s misfortunes on getting their act together, especially with AirPlay 2, and put out a device that competes with the Their SoundTouch Link but instead of $150 or even $200, you’re selling an adapter, without an internal amp, for the same price as the Beam.  The Beam as more functionality than this.   

Second, if you would have added ARC pass through to this, even at the insane $400 price tag, it would have sold like hotcakes.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I have the connect, feeding an external DAC. I use toslink for the connection, because the old coax was claimed to be noisy based on reviews of folks who look at such things. Is the new coax output improved from the old coax output? Also, can you give any details about the new DAC?
Userlevel 2
Badge

Do we have the Sonos understanding of 'richer sound' or is this just marketing guff? More interestingly, can the new box pass through to the Coax Out files sampled above 48/16? Not asking for Sonos-wide, 32-component synchronised distribution of such bitrates but the ability to hand these files on to an external DAC would be good in a device set for some years of service in this fast-moving tech market.

Perhaps the 'updated DAC' and updated circuitry will allow greater things in the future.
This is the most important question for me too. Does this still only support up to 16bit, or does it add hi-res?

Sonos is about the ecosystem. If your library has hi-Rez files, it wouldn’t work to have them streamable to the Port but not to other zones.
Userlevel 7

I'll just have to take Sonos at their word that the DAC's are improved. Had they mentioned that the new DAC's are Burr/Brown (or something) as opposed to whatever were in the Connect then there might be grounds for a conversationWhen the old DAC was good enough to be audibly transparent in a blind test, no improvements can be expected on this score since human hearing hasn't mutated for the better in the short period, so this is irrelevant.
What matters more are any new features, the smaller footprint and the like. And perhaps more reliability, though here too I haven't seen any reports that this was an issue.
Perhaps the power consumption and heat generation is also less, that would be a worthy improvement too.
PS: Given that it has to be using presently available components that would be probably be cheaper than those in the Connect, and given the smaller footprint, I would expect the new version to be significantly cheaper to make on the material costs front. A lower price point might have been a good idea, but that is a policy decision taken in the context of many things other than costs.

l’d say you should have quoted the part of my statement that preceded what you decided to hone in on. In doing as you did it appears that I had a definite opinion about Sonos statement of improved DAC’s. I’m being quoted out of context.