Hardware News

Introducing Sonos Port, Brilliant Sound Connected

• 5 September 2019
  • 255 replies
Introducing Sonos Port, Brilliant Sound Connected

Show first post

255 replies

I don't think there can be aby concept of Autoplay with Airplay2. So grouping would be the way. So it would be cheaper to buy a Symphonisk speaker and keep it permanently grouped with the Playbar. 

With regards to the Port and memory, I believe what you say about it not needing it today. But maybe in a year or two it will need it and it goes legacy.

As a premium product that just had a price increase I'm not impressed that  the Sonos One at half the cost has double the Ram. Not to mention the lack of optical! 🤬

The extra memory in the One/Beam is for on board voice control, which the Port does not have.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

How about a simple box for home users to connect Sonos to our stereos that is less expensive than the Port?.  Many of us are not AV installers and do not need all of the Port options.

Any future plans for such a product?

Sonos rarely announces future features they are working on, and have never announced plans for future hardware.

But we’re happy to pass along the suggestion to the development team so they know there’s some interest.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Given yesterdays disappointing but expected announcement,

and the underlying reason is partly due to the memory capacity of the legacy editions.
can anyone, hello @Ryan S , confirm if this means after May 2020 there will be a s/w update that allows the Port to have a larger library than the current 65K limit, as this is the only real advantage i would gain from this upgrade.

ta

m.e

Ryan, I know that there is a group of us who would really appreciate any attention that you can shine on this; so I appreciate your prompt reply. My listening zones are very close together, so my only solution to deal with the delay in my Connect zone is to manage it as a separate zone with different content.

I'm really intrigued by the Move speaker that you all announced today. I've been looking for a "floater" speaker that I could use in my front yard for block parties, and this may be perfect for that!
Badge +1
The Sonos Port doesn't seem to be available from online retailers (i.e., available 'in store only'). When will the Sonos Port be available for ordering?
Userlevel 2
If I add Port to my system, will I be able to send audio via AirPlay 2 to a Play1 (without creating a group that includes both the Play1 and some other AirPlay 2 compatible speaker, which is the only option I have now).
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Ugh, right after I acquire a Connect too. 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If I add Port to my system, will I be able to send audio via AirPlay 2 to a Play1 (without creating a group that includes both the Play1 and some other AirPlay 2 compatible speaker, which is the only option I have now).
In this regard, Port functions the same as every other Sonos speaker that's AirPlay 2 compatible. It can receive the signal and play it, and can also be grouped with any other speakers to play the same audio. However, if you had an AirPlay 2 capable device connected to the Port's line-in, you could send that line-in to any Sonos player without playing it to the Port first. But that would require having something like an Airport Express connected to the Port.

Ryan, I know that there is a group of us who would really appreciate any attention that you can shine on this; so I appreciate your prompt reply. My listening zones are very close together, so my only solution to deal with the delay in my Connect zone is to manage it as a separate zone with different content.
I'll make sure to add your +1 too.

Here’s another review of the Port saying that the sound (with coaxial) is much worse than the Connect (with optical).  How is this possible?  Isn’t it sending the same digital output?

https://www.techhive.com/article/3546333/sonos-port-review.html

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Digital Coax to TOSLINK Optical one-way and bidirectional adapters are available online for $15. Could mess up your feng shui but will work.

Here’s another review of the Port saying that the sound (with coaxial) is much worse than the Connect (with optical).  How is this possible?  Isn’t it sending the same digital output?

https://www.techhive.com/article/3546333/sonos-port-review.html

Of course it is.  These subjective reviews are typical audiophile nonsense, heavy on flowery prose, low on facts.

Badge +1
I like this, seems perfect for a home theater. Digging the Line-in also, provided my AVR can handle it.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
It looks nice. I don’t see any reason at the moment while I’d replace my connects but if I was starting out I would be happy with this.

If I’m switching my amp on/off then its convenient to also use the play/pause button on the connect to join/leave a group or stop the music so I’d personally miss the controls.
Userlevel 7
Badge +14
Only just noticed yesn't have the traditional Sonos controls on the unit?
What are the specs of the Port power supply?
Userlevel 1
Badge +3

The port is definitely stackable -- I have two stacked between my turntable and multi-disc CD player (Pioneer PLX 500 and PD-M6) so I can use both with my Sonos surround system, leaving my receiver out of the picture.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

May I use the port to connect to my record player and then the sound will play on my Sonos one speakers ?

I am understanding this product correctly ?

Yes -- I purchased my first Port to play records through my Sonos system.

Userlevel 4
Badge
Will the port still be able to play content from a local NAS, or is this streaming-only ?

If it is streaming only, is there a protocol translator I can add on my local NAS to export the content to the Port ?
Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Dear Sonos what is the sunset date for software updates for the Port?

Thanks

At least 5 years after it stops being sold. 

Thanks for replying but you aren't a Sonos employee (I mean no disrespect)

Badge +1
Sonos Port: Is a "mobile device" required for setup? I have a Win10 desktop and a router, streaming Qobuz via 3.5mm cable to my amp. I don't have a mobile device -- no cell phone, no smart phone, no tablet, no laptop.

So I'm out of luck vis-a-vis the Sonos Port?
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Hello.

Quick question that does not seem to have been questioned.
Does the Port have a larger library capacity, or, is there still the 65K limit ?

ta,

m.
Badge +1
Hi Narciso, an Android or iOS device is required to set up all Sonos devices, and to configure most settings. If you don't have one in your home, you may want to look into getting an inexpensive tablet like the Amazon Fire, or maybe borrowing one from a friend for an hour to set up Sonos and maybe the settings you might need. You can find a list of all system requirements here.
OK, thanks, Ryan. I can borrow my neighbor's Amazon Fire for setup. After setup, I won't need the Fire tablet, will I? I can just operate everything from the desktop?

Also, for setting up Soros products, is a laptop considered a "mobile device"? (I'm thinking about getting one for use with music only.) Thanks so much for your help!
Userlevel 1
Badge +2

That’s a software limit, it isn’t affected (currently) by the speaker itself.It's a software limit that is created in part due to memory limitations on our oldest players. While the music library functions the way it currently does, the limit can't change due to all of our players storing the index. Though Port has a lot more memory than a Connect, or a ZP80, the player code for the music library is the same between the two players. And some of that memory is used for other things.

I'll let the team know you're asking for an increased limit @marke.

cheers for the reply Ryan.

I totally understand that Sonos is predominantly all about the streaming/cloud based services, and the problems re the older components.
However, one idea would be to have a 'Enhanced Library' option/system flag that can be enabled via the app if there are no external speakers/components atttached, and the Port is purely used to connect to an amp.
This would make the Port an absolute must for those of us who still like to have our ever increasing local libraries.
It would be the one feature that would definitely make me upgrade.
Otherwise, I cannot see any advantage over my current configuration.

AsI said, appreciate the response, and the possible hope that you will mention this to the Dev crew.

ta,

M
I have 8 optical lines from 20-80’ wired through my attic that I’m not planning on swapping out for coax anytime soon. At least include some optical to coax adapter if you plan on removing functionality.
You're lucky that the longer lines work at all. The maximum length for the S/PDIF spec is generally regarded as 10m.

As for coax-optical converters, they cost less than £15 (and probably $15).