Hardware News

Introducing Sonos Port, Brilliant Sound Connected

• 5 September 2019
  • 235 replies
Introducing Sonos Port, Brilliant Sound Connected

Show first post

235 replies

I don't think there can be aby concept of Autoplay with Airplay2. So grouping would be the way. So it would be cheaper to buy a Symphonisk speaker and keep it permanently grouped with the Playbar. 

Ryan and Group.  Converting over from Connect to Port.  Connect was connected to newest Russound by Digital Toslink for the past year without flaw.  Tried to connect new PORT using Digital Audio instead.  Russound Whole House Audio Component has 3 inputs for this.  Only could get one channel using this option.  Both channels worked fine with Connect and Toslink but only one channel with new Port and Digital Audio Cable.  Any help would be appreciated.

Ryan and Group.  Converting over from Connect to Port.  Connect was connected to newest Russound by Digital Toslink for the past year without flaw.  Tried to connect new PORT using Digital Audio instead.  Russound Whole House Audio Component has 3 inputs for this.  Only could get one channel using this option.  Both channels worked fine with Connect and Toslink but only one channel with new Port and Digital Audio Cable.  Any help would be appreciated.

Have you tried alternative digital coax cables?

Thanks for this suggestion.  Have ordered another one.  The one I am using worked in a different configuaration.

I’ve known even short coax cables to cause problems. Always worth trying a different cable.

May I use the port to connect to my record player and then the sound will play on my Sonos one speakers ?

I am understanding this product correctly ?

Yes, you certainly are. That’s exactly the kind of use it was designed for.

One caveat. The Port is expecting a line level input. If your turntable doesn’t have a pre-amp built in, you’d need to put one in between the two devices. They’re pretty cheap.

Does anyone know if the sonos port works with sonos ready receivers? I see no official word on that?

Thanks

Userlevel 1

“Works with Sonos” receivers monitor your local network and when they see a Sonos product of your choosing on your network receive a stream it wakes up the receiver from standby and switches to the input you define. 

Because of this it should work still. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Disappointed - I am having several line units (Reel To Reel Tape Recorder, Cassette Recorder, two Record Players - but the “Port” only sports one input. In my book that’s not good enough.

Yes - I could buy 3 more Ports …… but thats not going to happen ☹️

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Disappointed - I am having several line units (Reel To Reel Tape Recorder, Cassette Recorder, two Record Players - but the “Port” only sports one input. In my book that’s not good enough.

Yes - I could buy 3 more Ports …… but thats not going to happen ☹️

You can get an RCA switch for $6.  A switch with remote can be had for under $20.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi!

Just would like to ask the experts here if it is workable to connect the Chromecast Audio to the AUX IN of SONOS PORT in order to stream the audio that sending from the devices like mobile phone, tablets and PC etc. to all SONOS speakers in the same wifi network? For example some music streaming services that are not integrated to SONOS but chromecast compatible…

Thanks in advance!!  

Answered this question in your other thread. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Answered this question in your other thread. 

Thanks Bruce! :blush:

Badge +2

The port is definitely stackable -- I have two stacked between my turntable and multi-disc CD player (Pioneer PLX 500 and PD-M6) so I can use both with my Sonos surround system, leaving my receiver out of the picture.

Badge +2

May I use the port to connect to my record player and then the sound will play on my Sonos one speakers ?

I am understanding this product correctly ?

Yes -- I purchased my first Port to play records through my Sonos system.

Can the Port output both through the analog and digital ports simultaneously?

Yes.

Userlevel 2

Looks like the Port is a cost optimized ZonePlayer/Connect.

• removal of optical output
  • wall-wart power supply
  • lightweight case
  • removal of on-device controls
  • new pcb with modern (/cheaper) components

For a premium $449 price.  At $449 there shouldn’t be any compromises like this.

This might be reasonable build quality if the cost were roughly what Roku devices were priced at.  But for what it does, and bringing no new features to the able, it’s really overpriced.  Today my bit-perfect players were deemed ‘legacy’ and there’s no upgrade path.  Until someone from Sonos confirms whether or not Port will output digital data as it was input into the device it could even be sound quality downgrade.  That leaves us with only a support path that costs ~$450 per device.  Not cool.

This is way overpriced. The One SL have an amp and a speaker while this just outputs a line or coax signal. And now I’m being forced to trade up from my Connect.

Badge

After today’s announcement that the connect is to be obselete soon. Is there a chance that us current connect users would be able to get a further discount on top of ‘trade up’? When you have an entire eco system of products, being forced to upgrade one to ensure that the others don’t also become redundant seems more than a little unfair. Especially as the port is extremely overpriced to begin with.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Dear Sonos what is the sunset date for software updates for the Port?

Thanks

Thanks

At least 5 years after it stops being sold. 

The :Connect was my entry into the Sonos ecosystem. I’ve loved it. It’s still the most used of the devices I’ve added in my home by a giant margin. I’ve looked forward to a refresh of the Connect for quite a long time and have commented about it occasionally. I missed the release 4 months back, and am here today in this thread only for the obvious reason that my Connect is now deprecated in Sonos’ view (certainly not mine) and was pointed via the email to the Port. I, like many here, echo the incredibly underwhelming reaction to both this device (for reasons already stated many times in this thread) and the irritation over the news that brought me to it (for reasons stated hundreds of time throughout the forum in just hours).
The one thing all of this did produce today was my looking into alternatives, and I discovered the very interesting Bluesound NODE 2i, which is, in a nutshell, quite literally everything I’d been hoping the Connect refresh (Port) would be when it arrived, with the exception that in order to bring its audio to my Sonos environment I’ll need to connect it to my Connect. I find that a least a bit funny. A fairly bittersweet Sonos day for me all around.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Thanks

At least 5 years after it stops being sold. 

Thanks for replying but you aren't a Sonos employee (I mean no disrespect)