Hardware News

Introducing Sonos Port, Brilliant Sound Connected

• 5 September 2019
  • 151 replies
Introducing Sonos Port, Brilliant Sound Connected

Show first post

151 replies

Archimago measures switching mode PS vs battery. Bottom line: makes zero difference.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/07/measurements-switching-power-supplies.html
I don't want to trash the article, but be sure to read through the comments too. While it is clear that any spurious output from the equipment that he measured is near the threshold of what can be observed with current technology, he is mostly comparing results while using a switch mode power supply driven by the power line with a switch mode power supply driven by a battery.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Just received my Port today! ........
Now, to get my Moves delivered ☺

Cheers!

You are the board MVP😀 Nice initial impressions of the Port and looking forward to your impression of the Move.
My Port has been plugged in for over a week now and as it’s hidden it’s exactly the same as the Connect it replaced.

the only difference I noticed, which may just be an illusion is that music starts playing instantly when I choose a track (tidal) it seems slightly quicker, as for sound quality I can hear no difference.

My Port plugs in to a Chord Hugo TT. Unless their is news that it will eventually play high res I don’t see much point in keeping it.
Given that you have exposed the myth that people that people can hear the difference between commodity DACs, why cllng on to the myth that they can hear the difference between CD quality and HiRes?
My Port plugs in to a Chord Hugo TT. Unless their is news that it will eventually play high res I don’t see much point in keeping it.
Yes, I too would be inclined to dispose of the DAC. The ~£1.5k they fetch on eBay could be put to good use.
That’s not a bad idea, I could then get another 3 Ports to replace my Connects, it’s a £1 weekend on eBay this week..

I wonder how much Connects go for now? They were about £150-190
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi

This may already be posted here but I'm too lazy to search 132 posts 🤔. Also, I didn't want to lose my MVP rating bestowed upon me by @RUBIX2. LOL

Just installed my Port. Setup was fast and glitch free. The Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) really made a difference. I didn't notice the difference as much when I installed my Sonos One (Gen2) speaker. In fact the Sonos App will ask you to turn on BT on your device if it's off. Cool 😎

In case anyone is interested I'm posting pics of the Sonos Amp and Port for a size comparison. Who am I kidding...I just wanted to show'em off 😊. I used a red backdrop for contrast as my entertainment center has a smoke glass top. Enjoy!

Edit:
I'm using the port with a CD player as I have a lot of 'em (CD's). I can't say for sure...but the signal to the auto-play room speakers may be just a tad faster. As far as the improved DAC's are concerned I have no clue if there is an audible difference. Besides I've never owned (or had access to) the proper equipment to analyze noise in the frequency response. Neither on my old Connect (which I sold) nor this new Port. I'll just have to take Sonos at their word that the DAC's are improved. Had they mentioned that the new DAC's are Burr/Brown (or something) as opposed to whatever were in the Connect then there might be grounds for a conversation 😎.

Cheers!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I have the connect, feeding an external DAC. I use toslink for the connection, because the old coax was claimed to be noisy based on reviews of folks who look at such things. Is the new coax output improved from the old coax output? Also, can you give any details about the new DAC?
I'll just have to take Sonos at their word that the DAC's are improved. Had they mentioned that the new DAC's are Burr/Brown (or something) as opposed to whatever were in the Connect then there might be grounds for a conversation
When the old DAC was good enough to be audibly transparent in a blind test, no improvements can be expected on this score since human hearing hasn't mutated for the better in the short period, so this is irrelevant.
What matters more are any new features, the smaller footprint and the like. And perhaps more reliability, though here too I haven't seen any reports that this was an issue.
Perhaps the power consumption and heat generation is also less, that would be a worthy improvement too.
PS: Given that it has to be using presently available components that would be probably be cheaper than those in the Connect, and given the smaller footprint, I would expect the new version to be significantly cheaper to make on the material costs front. A lower price point might have been a good idea, but that is a policy decision taken in the context of many things other than costs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I'll just have to take Sonos at their word that the DAC's are improved. Had they mentioned that the new DAC's are Burr/Brown (or something) as opposed to whatever were in the Connect then there might be grounds for a conversationWhen the old DAC was good enough to be audibly transparent in a blind test, no improvements can be expected on this score since human hearing hasn't mutated for the better in the short period, so this is irrelevant.
What matters more are any new features, the smaller footprint and the like. And perhaps more reliability, though here too I haven't seen any reports that this was an issue.
Perhaps the power consumption and heat generation is also less, that would be a worthy improvement too.
PS: Given that it has to be using presently available components that would be probably be cheaper than those in the Connect, and given the smaller footprint, I would expect the new version to be significantly cheaper to make on the material costs front. A lower price point might have been a good idea, but that is a policy decision taken in the context of many things other than costs.

l’d say you should have quoted the part of my statement that preceded what you decided to hone in on. In doing as you did it appears that I had a definite opinion about Sonos statement of improved DAC’s. I’m being quoted out of context.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
So I received and installed my first Port today, replacing a several years old Connect. My motive for upgrading was to get AirPlay support. The upgrade forced me to switch from optical out to coax out, but no biggie as my AVR supports both as inputs.

It works fine, and is easy to set up as you’d expect from Sonos gear. As I’m using the DACs in my AVR and not in the Port I don’t have anything to say about the Port’s DACs. The colour and design matches my Sonos Amps (good) but doesn’t stack very well on or with them (bad).

Feedback for Ryan / the Sonos team: I was quite disappointed about one thing: The decision to use a wall wart (external power supply). This comes across as just cheap design and not worthy of Sonos. It’s also perplexing because the footprint and internal volume of the Port is still quite large (say compared to the Apple TV, which retails for half the price, and which uses an internal power supply).
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I’d actually think removing the power supply and putting it at the end of fate plug would be useful to reduce the auto noise floor of the port....
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
OK. I just replaced a connect with a port. It was painless. I thought I’d have to change its name, but since I had unplugged the connect, “living room” was still available.

I actually connect it via an external multibit ladder DAC via coax. That type of DAC is the only one I’ve ever really noticed a difference in sound from...better imaging and such, but for those who don’t want to go that route, I’m sure the port sounds quite good fed directly into their integrated/preamp of choice.

I was a bit concerned about the coax output before trying it, because the old connect had reputedly some issues with noise on the coax. As a result, I had been using toslink.

The current port’s coax seems to work really well, so no worries for those who follow such things. it all sounds great.
Badge +1
The Sonos Port doesn't seem to be available from online retailers (i.e., available 'in store only'). When will the Sonos Port be available for ordering?
From the first post in this thread:

Sonos Port is the versatile streaming component for your stereo or receiver. Port is available in limited quantities on Sonos.com and select partner retailers from September 12th, with full availability coming January 2020.
Badge

There are no speakers connected to a Sonos Port. How can it support TruePlay? Any speakers would be connected to the amp that the Sonos Port is connected to.Really shouldn't matter. Room correction depends on a DSP (which the Port surely has - it's used by all modern amps/preamps for the tone controls), a calibrated mic (the iPhone's) and a tuning process. It shouldn't depend on the speakers at all, as it simply adjusts the levels through the system (via the DSP) at multiple frequencies based on how the bleeps and blurps during the tuning process interact with the room's nodes.

I'd love to see Sonos implement it in the Port and Amp, but they don't seem interested in doing so. Marketing reasons, I'm guessing, not technical. Or legal reasons (you idiots blew up my speakers!)

Here's an example of a streamer with DSP room correction. Comes with a Windows app/calibrated mic vs an iPhone app/mic, but can be used with any amp/speaker combo.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/shd-series/shd-detail

Sonos shouldn't be responsible for how non-Sonos speakers behaves. They should focus on what comes out of the Port. Everything after the Port is up to the user.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Digital Coax to TOSLINK Optical one-way and bidirectional adapters are available online for $15. Could mess up your feng shui but will work.
Badge +2
Hello.

Quick question that does not seem to have been questioned.
Does the Port have a larger library capacity, or, is there still the 65K limit ?

ta,

m.
That’s a software limit, it isn’t affected (currently) by the speaker itself.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
That’s a software limit, it isn’t affected (currently) by the speaker itself.
It's a software limit that is created in part due to memory limitations on our oldest players. While the music library functions the way it currently does, the limit can't change due to all of our players storing the index. Though Port has a lot more memory than a Connect, or a ZP80, the player code for the music library is the same between the two players. And some of that memory is used for other things.

I'll let the team know you're asking for an increased limit @marke.
Badge +2

That’s a software limit, it isn’t affected (currently) by the speaker itself.It's a software limit that is created in part due to memory limitations on our oldest players. While the music library functions the way it currently does, the limit can't change due to all of our players storing the index. Though Port has a lot more memory than a Connect, or a ZP80, the player code for the music library is the same between the two players. And some of that memory is used for other things.

I'll let the team know you're asking for an increased limit @marke.

cheers for the reply Ryan.

I totally understand that Sonos is predominantly all about the streaming/cloud based services, and the problems re the older components.
However, one idea would be to have a 'Enhanced Library' option/system flag that can be enabled via the app if there are no external speakers/components atttached, and the Port is purely used to connect to an amp.
This would make the Port an absolute must for those of us who still like to have our ever increasing local libraries.
It would be the one feature that would definitely make me upgrade.
Otherwise, I cannot see any advantage over my current configuration.

AsI said, appreciate the response, and the possible hope that you will mention this to the Dev crew.

ta,

M

This product is a couple major missed opportunities.  

First, you could have jumped on Bose’s misfortunes on getting their act together, especially with AirPlay 2, and put out a device that competes with the Their SoundTouch Link but instead of $150 or even $200, you’re selling an adapter, without an internal amp, for the same price as the Beam.  The Beam as more functionality than this.   

Second, if you would have added ARC pass through to this, even at the insane $400 price tag, it would have sold like hotcakes.  

Userlevel 2
Badge
  • Bummed about:

- the wall-wart - ugh!
    - the omission of the TOS output - I have have my main Connect connected to two systems and prefer to use their DACs - it’s nice to have two digital outs.  And yes, I know I can buy a splitter - and voila! Yet another wall-wart. :( 

So, sound quality is not a lure for me.  Reliability - not sure what this means. I have some really old Sonos components and even an original remote that still works!  I have only had one of several components fail and replaced (under warranty). What else - Air Play - would love to try this, but not sure the other issues make it worth it.  Looks-wise, very nice - now I don’t need to buy those black-vinyl cover kits. :)

More capacity and more audio format support would have been nice - that would be a real upgrade.  A way to search and sort the Queue would be awesome!  Surround FLAC would be nice.  So for $300 “discounted”, I’m not feeling it.

I was about to pull the trigger on at least one of my several units, but after taking a closer look, I’ve lost my enthusiasm.

This has probably already been addressed so please excuse me if my question is repetitive.  I have an old Playbar and Sub setup in my main room that plays anything coming from the Connect I have automatically.  I have a turntable connected to the Connect, so as soon as it hits the record sound starts coming from the Playbar and Sub.  I’m wondering if I upgraded to a Port if streaming Airplay 2 would do the same thing.  Since the Playbar and Sub combo are not Airplay 2 compatible, would that be a work around to make them Airplay 2 compatible?  

It’s more annoying than I thought to have to group my main room into an already playing Airplay 2 streaming speaker.

Thanks!