Hardware News

Introducing Sonos Port, Brilliant Sound Connected

• 5 September 2019
  • 168 replies
Introducing Sonos Port, Brilliant Sound Connected

Show first post

168 replies

Most of the MQA albums I don't hear any difference however.

SONOS cannot take advantage of any potential MQA benefit.

There can be dramatic differences in results, depending on how the session master was processed along the way. Modern retail releases go through a “sound good box” that the producer feels increases sales. Mostly this is compression. If the listener is in a noisy environment listening through earbuds, compression is very helpful, and sales increase. Each producer has a formula. Compression is not welcome when listening through good equipment in a quiet room.

It is interesting to compare a Mobile Fidelity release of an Album with the regular retail release of the same session. Also, look for vintage regular release of the same session and compare with a recent release. The differences can be dramatic and none of them fall into the “high res” bin. An interesting comparison, if you can find them, is to listen to the vintage British, Japanese, and US, LP releases, then the Mobile Fidelity CD and LP releases of Pink Floyd’s Dark side of the Moon. You’ll need a high end turntable for this. In some cases it will be difficult to satisfy yourself that a release was spawned from the same session tape.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Really bad that the optical out has gone. My current Connect is connected to AVM ADM active speakers, which have two digital inputs, both of them optical.
Meaning if my 10 year old Connect fails, the Port will be no option as replacement (I’m not going to use optical/coaxial converters, I want a clean setup).

I’m in the same boat. I have three Connects all of them outputting over optical to powered speakers; two AVI ADM9s and one to a Yamaha Soundbar.

The good thing about Sonos is that old products remain supported for a very long time, the ZP80 (precursor to the SP100/Connect) is still supported isn’t it?

My slight worry is that the current product line up is totally different from when I first bought my Connects and Connect:Amps and given it is a totally new product lineup will the old products cease to be supported. That would be a shame.
I'll just have to take Sonos at their word that the DAC's are improved. Had they mentioned that the new DAC's are Burr/Brown (or something) as opposed to whatever were in the Connect then there might be grounds for a conversation
When the old DAC was good enough to be audibly transparent in a blind test, no improvements can be expected on this score since human hearing hasn't mutated for the better in the short period, so this is irrelevant.
What matters more are any new features, the smaller footprint and the like. And perhaps more reliability, though here too I haven't seen any reports that this was an issue.
Perhaps the power consumption and heat generation is also less, that would be a worthy improvement too.
PS: Given that it has to be using presently available components that would be probably be cheaper than those in the Connect, and given the smaller footprint, I would expect the new version to be significantly cheaper to make on the material costs front. A lower price point might have been a good idea, but that is a policy decision taken in the context of many things other than costs.
What an omission dropping optical out, surely to include it would have cost next to nothing! I have a connect feeding a chord m-scaler via optical which is recommended as optical is electrically isolated. Jitter is dealt with completely with the scaler.

I’ve been waiting for a new ‘connect’ for ages hoping it would return to bit perfect like the old ones. But instead we get a product with less connectivity & no mention of whether it’s bit perfect or not.

I’ll be keeping my £400 I think.
Userlevel 2
Badge

Disappointed - I am having several line units (Reel To Reel Tape Recorder, Cassette Recorder, two Record Players - but the “Port” only sports one input. In my book that’s not good enough.

Yes - I could buy 3 more Ports …… but thats not going to happen ☹️

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

When that day comes I will be replaceing in my 5 connect for Bluesound Nodes. There in no comparison between this under achieving Sonos Port and the Bluesound Product.

There is currently a lawsuit against Bluesound for stealing Sonos technology. It appears to be similar to the lawsuit Sonos won against Denon. Not sure if you're aware, but thought it might be useful information for your decision.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Disappointed - I am having several line units (Reel To Reel Tape Recorder, Cassette Recorder, two Record Players - but the “Port” only sports one input. In my book that’s not good enough.

Yes - I could buy 3 more Ports …… but thats not going to happen ☹️

You can get an RCA switch for $6.  A switch with remote can be had for under $20.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
So did anyone get a Port today? First impressions? Despite the issues raised, I’m thinking of getting one to have sonos on my Cambridge Audio amp (possibly through a DAC I already have) and speakers, and to get vinyl onto my sonos ones in other rooms. How is the Port? Any sync issues? Cheers
Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi!

Just would like to ask the experts here if it is workable to connect the Chromecast Audio to the AUX IN of SONOS PORT in order to stream the audio that sending from the devices like mobile phone, tablets and PC etc. to all SONOS speakers in the same wifi network? For example some music streaming services that are not integrated to SONOS but chromecast compatible…

Thanks in advance!!  

Answered this question in your other thread. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Answered this question in your other thread. 

Thanks Bruce! :blush:

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'm considering one to replace my oldest ZP-80 but I'm waiting to see how the Optical issue sorts out as without a working optical option my whole setup is screwed.
Badge

Can you add speakers in a surround configuration with the Port the way that you can with the Amp?Port is a standalone unit, it can't bond with surrounds, a home theater device, or have a Sonos Sub attached to it.

Thanks. So if I have a Playbase, I can’t add two speakers that have their own amplifier already to the Playbase in surround mode using this - I’d need the Amp, right?
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
So did anyone get a Port today? First impressions? Despite the issues raised, I’m thinking of getting one to have sonos on my Cambridge Audio amp (possibly through a DAC I already have) and speakers, and to get vinyl onto my sonos ones in other rooms. How is the Port? Any sync issues? Cheers

Sonos online chat said that there should not be sync issues as long as Port and Ones are grouped. Would a DAC between Port and CA integrated amp introduce any delay?
Can I connect my audio receiver to the Port and send my Xfinity audio signal through the house without delay?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Can I connect my audio receiver to the Port and send my Xfinity audio signal through the house without delay?
Port has an RCA analog line-in connection, but there can be a bit of a delay getting the audio input on the Port out to other speakers on the network. If it's in the same room, you might notice it, if it's in a different room, you probably wouldn't.

That's assuming your receiver can output to Port over RCA. I know some receivers will not play audio on their own connected speakers if they're also outputting audio over the line-out.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Still looking for reviews of the Port, but can't find anything online since they shipped. Anyone got one?

This has probably already been addressed so please excuse me if my question is repetitive.  I have an old Playbar and Sub setup in my main room that plays anything coming from the Connect I have automatically.  I have a turntable connected to the Connect, so as soon as it hits the record sound starts coming from the Playbar and Sub.  I’m wondering if I upgraded to a Port if streaming Airplay 2 would do the same thing.  Since the Playbar and Sub combo are not Airplay 2 compatible, would that be a work around to make them Airplay 2 compatible?  

It’s more annoying than I thought to have to group my main room into an already playing Airplay 2 streaming speaker.

Thanks!

I don't think there can be aby concept of Autoplay with Airplay2. So grouping would be the way. So it would be cheaper to buy a Symphonisk speaker and keep it permanently grouped with the Playbar. 

Ryan, I know that there is a group of us who would really appreciate any attention that you can shine on this; so I appreciate your prompt reply. My listening zones are very close together, so my only solution to deal with the delay in my Connect zone is to manage it as a separate zone with different content.

I'm really intrigued by the Move speaker that you all announced today. I've been looking for a "floater" speaker that I could use in my front yard for block parties, and this may be perfect for that!
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
OK. I just replaced a connect with a port. It was painless. I thought I’d have to change its name, but since I had unplugged the connect, “living room” was still available.

I actually connect it via an external multibit ladder DAC via coax. That type of DAC is the only one I’ve ever really noticed a difference in sound from...better imaging and such, but for those who don’t want to go that route, I’m sure the port sounds quite good fed directly into their integrated/preamp of choice.

I was a bit concerned about the coax output before trying it, because the old connect had reputedly some issues with noise on the coax. As a result, I had been using toslink.

The current port’s coax seems to work really well, so no worries for those who follow such things. it all sounds great.
Badge +1
The Sonos Port doesn't seem to be available from online retailers (i.e., available 'in store only'). When will the Sonos Port be available for ordering?
Userlevel 2
If I add Port to my system, will I be able to send audio via AirPlay 2 to a Play1 (without creating a group that includes both the Play1 and some other AirPlay 2 compatible speaker, which is the only option I have now).
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Ugh, right after I acquire a Connect too. 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If I add Port to my system, will I be able to send audio via AirPlay 2 to a Play1 (without creating a group that includes both the Play1 and some other AirPlay 2 compatible speaker, which is the only option I have now).
In this regard, Port functions the same as every other Sonos speaker that's AirPlay 2 compatible. It can receive the signal and play it, and can also be grouped with any other speakers to play the same audio. However, if you had an AirPlay 2 capable device connected to the Port's line-in, you could send that line-in to any Sonos player without playing it to the Port first. But that would require having something like an Airport Express connected to the Port.

Ryan, I know that there is a group of us who would really appreciate any attention that you can shine on this; so I appreciate your prompt reply. My listening zones are very close together, so my only solution to deal with the delay in my Connect zone is to manage it as a separate zone with different content.
I'll make sure to add your +1 too.