Introducing Sonos Port, Brilliant Sound Connected

• 5 September 2019
  • 157 replies
Introducing Sonos Port, Brilliant Sound Connected

Show first post

157 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
It looks nice. I don’t see any reason at the moment while I’d replace my connects but if I was starting out I would be happy with this.

If I’m switching my amp on/off then its convenient to also use the play/pause button on the connect to join/leave a group or stop the music so I’d personally miss the controls.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Only just noticed yesn't have the traditional Sonos controls on the unit?
Userlevel 3
Badge
Will the port still be able to play content from a local NAS, or is this streaming-only ?

If it is streaming only, is there a protocol translator I can add on my local NAS to export the content to the Port ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Will the port still be able to play content from a local NAS, or is this streaming-only ?

If it is streaming only, is there a protocol translator I can add on my local NAS to export the content to the Port ?

It will absolutely be able to play all of the current Sonos sources. Nas drives and local computer libraries included. Plus, it has Apple AirPlay 2, which the old Connect didn't have.
Badge
I see no mention of Trueplay support. If this supports Trueplay like the Sonos speakers then it will be a must-buy for me.
There are no speakers connected to a Sonos Port. How can it support TruePlay? Any speakers would be connected to the amp that the Sonos Port is connected to.
There are no speakers connected to a Sonos Port. How can it support TruePlay? Any speakers would be connected to the amp that the Sonos Port is connected to.

Really shouldn't matter. Room correction depends on a DSP (which the Port surely has - it's used by all modern amps/preamps for the tone controls), a calibrated mic (the iPhone's) and a tuning process. It shouldn't depend on the speakers at all, as it simply adjusts the levels through the system (via the DSP) at multiple frequencies based on how the bleeps and blurps during the tuning process interact with the room's nodes.

I'd love to see Sonos implement it in the Port and Amp, but they don't seem interested in doing so. Marketing reasons, I'm guessing, not technical. Or legal reasons (you idiots blew up my speakers!)

Here's an example of a streamer with DSP room correction. Comes with a Windows app/calibrated mic vs an iPhone app/mic, but can be used with any amp/speaker combo.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/shd-series/shd-detail
Badge

I'd love to see Sonos implement it in the Port and Amp, but they don't seem interested in doing so. Marketing reasons, I'm guessing, not technical. Or legal reasons (you idiots blew up my speakers!)

I was disappointed when I found out that the Amp did not have Trueplay, and now here we are again. It's a killer feature that would make either of these products a must-have. As it stands, I see no reason to upgrade from my current streaming setup.
Userlevel 4
Badge +7
As the older Connects were "bit perfect" how is this going to produce a "richer sound" without messing up the sound?

It is also about £200 too expensive for what it does in this day and age.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
As the older Connects were "bit perfect" how is this going to produce a "richer sound" without messing up the sound?

'Richer sound' refers to the analog output via the DAC, not the digital output. (FWIW, the current Connect is thought not to be 'bit perfect', not that it makes an iota of difference under practical listening conditions.)

It is also about £200 too expensive for what it does in this day and age.

Absolutely, especially as useful features have been removed compared to the Connect, and the Ethernet ports haven't been upgraded to gigabit. Plenty of very cheap devices have gigabit networking.

An Amazon Link, a not dissimilar device, is under £200.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I see this as both good and bad news but ultimately something that might be a long overdue conclusion on Sonos' venture into the hometheater-world with the Playbar.

Way back in 2012 when the Playbar launched, I was extremely excited and received my unit on the launchdate after having pre-ordered it as soon as I could.

I soon paired it with a sub and two Play:3s to set up my very first 5.1 system. At it generally blew me away.

That set-up has served as my main homesystem until a few weeks ago, where I finally decided to sell the Playbar together with the Play:3s and an aging Play:5 1st Gen.

The issue is that the Playbar still Today struggle with the one flaw it was ready hampered by on day on: It only supports one single surround format; Doldby Digital 5.1, which has not been used widely since DVDs (yes, DVDs and not Blu-ray or anything close to modern).

Initially, it meant no sound from Blu-rays which played DTS. I fixed that with a new blu-tay player that could downmix the sound.

Later, I lost surround from Netflix via my Chromecast Ultra as Chromecast and Netflixed ventured into Dolby Digital Plus and again leaving the Playbar out in the cold. Solved that will help Apple TV 4K.

As you can see, as a loyal Sonos-customer, I have jumped through hoops to get that DD 5.1 let, using converters and switches to get the best results.

Always hoping, expecting, that Sonos would come up with a new Playbar that would include upgraded codecs and upgrade my system.

But I have now seen several new products, and have bought most of them; Playbase, Playbeam and the new AMP. But all of them are still stuck one good old DVD-like surround. No DTS, no Dolby Digital Plus, no Dolby Atmos. Not even the otherwise impressive AMP has any useful updates in this respect. It's a joke and it's not a choice between DD 5.1 and any newer formats. When Apple and others drop support for downmixing to the obsolete DD 5.1, it will be a choice between newer formats or silence/PCM (stereo).

Now I think Sonos is quietly letting us know that they will not be bringing in any important updates on the hometheather front. They a throwing in the towel.

With the Port they are telling us that if we want anything serious for surround, we should buy a good third-party amp and then splurge on the Port (costing the same as a Beam on its own), if want to include that sorround setup in our Sonos-system

Come on Sonos; stop leading us on and just tell me I am right.
The Port is an updated Connect. It tells us that Sonos is still interested in customers with conventional hifis. It continues the Connect tradition of not being intended for AV use. I cannot see that any conclusion can be drawn about Sonos" plans for its AV range.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

An Amazon Link, a not dissimilar device, is under £200.

I was hoping the Port would steal some features of the Link. Primarily the ability to pass through audio (over HDMI), so the Port/Link would be in charge input selection. I guess 12V trigger was the answer for that.

That said, the Port does many things the Link does not. The link cannot share it's input with the rest of the multiroom system. Port can. The link is also limited to Alexa streaming source, why the Port has access to all the Sonos has access to. And honestly, there has been very little buzz about Link since it was released about a year ago. I'm not sure it's selling well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@Tejs Dyrvig Ernst, thanks for sharing your story. I'm pleased to confirm that we're in no way "throwing in the towel" on home theater devices. We've announced 3 new products this month, none of them happen to be specifically for home theater, though the Sonos One SL is a much needed update to the position that the Play:1 filled, as the most common surround Sonos speaker for home theater. The Beam and Amp are fairly new to our product lineup, both of them with home theater capabilities. Over HDMI, those devices will tell the TV they're connected with that they want Dolby Digital 5.1, and if there's a Dolby Digital Plus signal, it'll automatically be converted.

As to what to read into with the Port, it's a much needed update to an older product that holds an important position in our lineup. It's for people with existing audio systems that they want to be able to bring the Sonos convenience to. It also has line-in, to bring new sources of audio into the Sonos speakers you have. It's about bringing Sonos to new places, to connect.

I'd love to see Sonos implement it in the Port and Amp, but they don't seem interested in doing so. Marketing reasons, I'm guessing, not technical. Or legal reasons (you idiots blew up my speakers!)I was disappointed when I found out that the Amp did not have Trueplay, and now here we are again. It's a killer feature that would make either of these products a must-have. As it stands, I see no reason to upgrade from my current streaming setup.

To be clear, the Amp does have Trueplay when you're using it with the in-wall or in-ceiling Sonos Architectural speakers we built with Sonance. To use Trueplay, we need to have the acoustic pattern of the speakers that are being tuned. These speakers have a signature that we're able to detect and tune to the room.
Userlevel 2
Badge
@Tejs Dyrvig Ernst, thanks for sharing your story. I'm pleased to confirm that we're in no way "throwing in the towel" on home theater devices. We've announced 3 new products this month, none of them happen to be specifically for home theater, though the Sonos One SL is a much needed update to the position that the Play:1 filled, as the most common surround Sonos speaker for home theater. The Beam and Amp are fairly new to our product lineup, both of them with home theater capabilities. Over HDMI, those devices will tell the TV they're connected with that they want Dolby Digital 5.1, and if there's a Dolby Digital Plus signal, it'll automatically be converted.

As to what to read into with the Port, it's a much needed update to an older product that holds an important position in our lineup. It's for people with existing audio systems that they want to be able to bring the Sonos convenience to. It also has line-in, to bring new sources of audio into the Sonos speakers you have. It's about bringing Sonos to new places, to connect.

I'd love to see Sonos implement it in the Port and Amp, but they don't seem interested in doing so. Marketing reasons, I'm guessing, not technical. Or legal reasons (you idiots blew up my speakers!)I was disappointed when I found out that the Amp did not have Trueplay, and now here we are again. It's a killer feature that would make either of these products a must-have. As it stands, I see no reason to upgrade from my current streaming setup.
To be clear, the Amp does have Trueplay when you're using it with the in-wall or in-ceiling Sonos Architectural speakers we built with Sonance. To use Trueplay, we need to have the acoustic pattern of the speakers that are being tuned. These speakers have a signature that we're able to detect and tune to the room.

First of all; thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. Much appreciated.

Owning the Beam I can unfortunately not confirm that Dolby Digital Plus will automatically be converted to Dolby Digital. The Beam will request Dolby Digital and receive it if available. Streaming Netflix from Chromecast for instance will however give you stereo as no Dolby Digital track is available - only PCM and Dolby Digitial Plus.

With all these new products, including several for the home theater with HDMI, I and many others were hoping for some more modern codecs. As stated, I am however no longer expecting this to happen and fail to understand the reasoning behind this decision.

But at least now we can buy a third-party system with better sound format support for our living rooms and then add the Port on top of that to include the new system in our Sonos-setup.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Owning the Beam I can unfortunately not confirm that Dolby Digital Plus will automatically be converted to Dolby Digital. The Beam will request Dolby Digital and receive it if available. Streaming Netflix from Chromecast for instance will however give you stereo as no Dolby Digital track is available - only PCM and Dolby Digitial Plus.

Dolby Digital Plus is fully compatible with Dolby Digital 5.1 per the Dolby specifications. As long as the device you're using to play this content is capable of converting the audio, you should get DD5.1 on that Beam. You may want to check out the settings of your TV and the device playing Netflix. It could be that the Chromecast device isn't able to convert DD+ to DD5.1, or perhaps the TV is getting the DD+ and can't send convert the audio for Sonos. This isn't really the right place to troubleshoot, but if you do want a hand checking out the settings, feel free to contact our support team.
Userlevel 2
Badge

Owning the Beam I can unfortunately not confirm that Dolby Digital Plus will automatically be converted to Dolby Digital. The Beam will request Dolby Digital and receive it if available. Streaming Netflix from Chromecast for instance will however give you stereo as no Dolby Digital track is available - only PCM and Dolby Digitial Plus.Dolby Digital Plus is fully compatible with Dolby Digital 5.1 per the Dolby specifications. As long as the device you're using to play this content is capable of converting the audio, you should get DD5.1 on that Beam. You may want to check out the settings of your TV and the device playing Netflix. It could be that the Chromecast device isn't able to convert DD+ to DD5.1, or perhaps the TV is getting the DD+ and can't send convert the audio for Sonos. This isn't really the right place to troubleshoot, but if you do want a hand checking out the settings, feel free to contact our support team.

You are completely right. A Chromecast cannot convert audio but just pass it on. The same goes for most other devices, including firesticks and TVs. Some devices can, for instance some Blu-ray players, an Apple TV and Playstations/Xbox.

It is a bit arrogant assuming/pretending that most devices and TVs will automatically convert to DD 5.1 - that is simply wrong.

Chromecast and Firesticks are hugely popular devices and will not do this.

And even worse: I have yet to find a single TV that will do this - in any price range! I put up a thread asking for this, but was out of luck. But please point me in the direction of a TV that concerts any sound format to DD - I will be first in line to buy one.

So unless Sonos decides to adopt wider sound formats, owning a Sonos-setup, getting surround will force you to use one of the few specific devices that can convert audio on the fly, which does not include popular choices as e.g. a Chromecast or Firestick.

As I wrote, relying on third-party devices maintaining support for downmixing sound to an aging format as DD 5.1 (which has not really been widely used since the time of DVDs) is not ideal. When Apple and the others stop support, the Beam, Playbase, Playbar and AMP will either be silent or play PCM (stereo) when used in a home theater. Really not acceptable for any product in this segment and price range.

I am currently building a new house and sold my Playbay and surround speakers as I was planning to use the AMP, but now expect that I will be looking at third-party receivers and potentially combining this with the Port.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Really bad that the optical out has gone. My current Connect is connected to AVM ADM active speakers, which have two digital inputs, both of them optical.
Meaning if my 10 year old Connect fails, the Port will be no option as replacement (I’m not going to use optical/coaxial converters, I want a clean setup).
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@Tejs Dyrvig Ernst there's a great list that's kept current here of TVs with different output capabilities. Also, I have seen both FireTV and FireSticks that both can convert and output DD5.1 (and for that matter, plenty of TVs that'll do it too). Strictly speaking, Dolby Digital Plus is supposed to be 100% compatible with DD5.1.

Also, to clarify for anyone, I'm talking about over HDMI-ARC, not Optical. So this would be regarding the Beam and Amp connections we were talking about over.

Ultimately, the Optical connections will rely on whatever device is on the other end being able to convert DD+ into DD5.1 without a handshake. That would be in the settings. Also, DD+ doesn't pass over optical.
Userlevel 2
Badge
@Tejs Dyrvig Ernst there's a great list that's kept current here of TVs with different output capabilities. Also, I have seen both FireTV and FireSticks that both can convert and output DD5.1 (and for that matter, plenty of TVs that'll do it too). Strictly speaking, Dolby Digital Plus is supposed to be 100% compatible with DD5.1.

Also, to clarify for anyone, I'm talking about over HDMI-ARC, not Optical. So this would be regarding the Beam and Amp connections we were talking about over.

Ultimately, the Optical connections will rely on whatever device is on the other end being able to convert DD+ into DD5.1 without a handshake. That would be in the settings. Also, DD+ doesn't pass over optical.

That is a list of TV's that would pass through whatever audio it receives. So if a TV receives DD 5.1 from an input, in can pass that through to an attached Soundbar.

This also mean that any unsupported fileformats, such as DTS and DD Plus will be passed through.

That is completely different from a TV actually converting a received audio signal to DD. I have not seen a TV that can do this.

It doesn't matter that DD Plus supports supports DD - no Sonos products supports DD Plus. So when DD Plus is passed on by the TV to a Sonos-product, no sound will go through. The handshake feature will ensure that the Beam and AMP in this case receive a stereo-signal, which it supports.

I know Fire TVs, just as Apple TVs can convert audio. I do not believe that Firesticks will do this, but I may be mistaken. I have not owned one myself. I can assure that my LG TVs and Chromecasts will not. I am relying on my Apple TV and my Blu-ray player.

In any event, and I assume you agree with this, without any devices being able to convert modern formats to DOlby Digit, the best you can get from your fully equipped 5.1 Sonos-system will be stereo. And I for one do not expect that Apple and the others will continue supporting conversion to such and aging format as DD 5.1. Most others seem to be embracing Dolby Atmos.

I hope Sonos at some point will add further codecs to it's newer products like the AMP and Bean. It would be a shame to see such good products go obsolete in a very short time. I for one previously bought Sonos for their long-term value. Even my first ever Sonos-speaker, a Play:5 1G, received constant updates over the years untill I recently sold it, gaining support for Apple Music, Alexa etc.

Sonos' strategy on the sound-format front, sticking to one exclusive format, is very different.
If there's no support for unmolested Tidal MQA and other hi-res formats I'm not interested.

I really hope that Sonos can join the ranks of Cambridge and Bluesound, offering a streaming component that delivers hi-resolution audio without downgrading it. I'm on the verge of buying one of those "other" products but I'd rather stick with Sonos in all my rooms if possible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

This also mean that any unsupported fileformats, such as DTS and DD Plus will be passed through.

That is completely different from a TV actually converting a received audio signal to DD. I have not seen a TV that can do this.

It doesn't matter that DD Plus supports supports DD - no Sonos products supports DD Plus. So when DD Plus is passed on by the TV to a Sonos-product, no sound will go through. The handshake feature will ensure that the Beam and AMP in this case receive a stereo-signal, which it supports.

This bit is incorrect. If the TV is sent DD+ and it's capable of outputting DD5.1 (as many are), it'll convert the DD+ over to DD5.1 to output. The TV won't take stereo and convert it into DD5.1, but it may have some upmix processing. The Sonos home theater devices will upmix stereo signals, so you will get audio out of the Sub and surrounds even if you're only sending it stereo audio.
Userlevel 2
Badge

This bit is incorrect. If the TV is sent DD+ and it's capable of outputting DD5.1 (as many are), it'll convert the DD+ over to DD5.1 to output. The TV won't take stereo and convert it into DD5.1, but it may have some upmix processing. The Sonos home theater devices will upmix stereo signals, so you will get audio out of the Sub and surrounds even if you're only sending it stereo audio.

The part about conversion is simply not true. And stereo upmixed to play on all speakers is nothing close to actual surround sound and not something anyone should ever pay for.

I have a fairly new LG Oled. It does indeed support both Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Digital 5.1.

It will send Dolby Digital 5.1 from it's build-in apps.

It will pass on Dolby Digital 5.1 when received from my Apple TV (the Apple TV having converted any audio to Dolby Digital Plus).

But if my TV receives Dolby Digital Plus from any input, it will only pass on a stereo signal to the Beam. Because the Beam does not support Dolby Digital Plus. The same will happen for Dolby Atmos, DTS and any other format which is not either Dolby Digital or stereo.

No TVs I have come across are capable of converting audio. They can request and pass on various formats, but they will not convert it. Again, please show me a TV that can do this as this would save me and slot of other users in the forums a lot after hassle.

In any cases where an unsupported format is apparently being converted before being send to a Sonos produkt, this is likely being done by an external device; an Apple TV, Playstaion or similar.

However, and I understand that you avoid admitting to this in public, this does not change the fact that Sonos only supports one single, aging surround-sound format (Dolby Digital) and is fully depending on customers buying third-party devices and on such devices continuing supporting conversion to this almost obsolete format. A puclic secret that should be listed with capital letters on expensive systems being marketed for the home theater.

The problem is not the customers@ TVs. Or their Chromecasts. Or the bluray-players. The only reason we are having this discussion, is Sonos' extremely limited sound-support.

Most other major players in the industry have adopted a vast selection of formats, including Denon, Sony, LG, Yamaha, Samsung, B&O and the list goes on. I simply cannot understand Sonos' decision in this respect.
Well, AFAIA the Connects weren't bit perfect any more, so maybe this one is...
With the Port they are telling us that if we want anything serious for surround, we should buy a good third-party amp and then splurge on the Port....
So, no change there, then...