Hardware News

Introducing Sonos Port, Brilliant Sound Connected

Introducing Sonos Port, Brilliant Sound Connected
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 11445 replies
Sonos Port is the versatile streaming component for your stereo or receiver. Port is available in limited quantities on Sonos.com and select partner retailers from September 12th, with full availability coming January 2020.

Port is the successor to Connect, delivering richer sound and extending Sonos’ sound platform to your traditional home audio equipment. Connect Port to your traditional stereo to stream music, podcasts, audiobooks, and Internet radio on your amplified audio equipment. You can also stream vinyl, CDs, and stored audio files to other Sonos speakers around your home using the line-in connection.

With Port you can easily control your traditional speakers using the Sonos app, voice assistants when wirelessly connected to a voice-enabled device, or Apple AirPlay 2.

Port includes an updated digital-to-analog converter for clearly detailed sound along with a 12V trigger, which automatically turns on your amplifier to get music playing more reliably. Port also features a matte black finish and versatile design compatible with a standard AV rack.

Connections:

Ports and Connections:
  • Power plug.
  • One analog RCA audio line-out.
  • One digital audio (coaxial) line-out
  • One 12V trigger output.
  • One RCA line-in connection.
  • Two Ethernet ports, offering 10/100 switching.
Line-out:
Audio line-out through either analog (RCA) or digital (coaxial) to connect amplified audio equipment. You can use Port with any compatible receiver or amplifier to add Sonos streaming capabilities and group it with other Sonos speakers throughout your home. The 12V trigger automatically turns on your stereo or receiver when you hit play, so you have a more reliable way to get the music playing.

Setting up:
Port is designed to be used with your traditional sound system. Plug in the power, connect it to your WiFi network using your Sonos app, and connect Port to your devices using the analog or digital coaxial connection. See our setup guide here for more resources on setting up Sonos.

Pre-order today on Sonos.com for $399 US (€449 EUR), available in limited quantities starting September 12th. Full availability begins January 2020.

147 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I love this looks and like the new name. Fits well with the direction Sonos is going.

I saw someone else ask this question. Is the Port stackable? Can it be stacked with the Amp?

Will the 12V trigger also be able to turn your 3rd party amp/receiver to the proper input?

And I'm sure this will be asked...what was the thought process behind removing the optical output?
Can the 12V trigger be used to turn off the receiver, or just to turn it on? Any new options for volume control? It's nice to have the trigger, but it seems like unless I'm missing something the Works with Sonos, Sony Music Connect, or other software-based options are still best?
Looks great, love the 12V switch. Is there any addition of a delay feature for other Sonos speakers to go along with the Port? That is to account for the delay that is caused when using a DSP on an A/V Receiver that is a common problem when not playing in 'direct' mode.

My guess on the removal of the optical output is because this is more of an installer product first and consumer second - and optical cables are not very robust over long distances
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
You mean dropping the optical 'port' on the Port...
I've never, ever thought of the Port/Connect as primarily an installer product.
So happy it will deliver 'richer' sound though - although dropping optical means it would deliver no sound for me.
I eagerly await the 'Can you recommend a coaxial to optical converter?' threads. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'm underwhelmed.
  • Still only 10/100Mbps Ethernet. Limits its utility as a pass-thru.
  • No physical controls. (I use the controls on my Connects frequently.)
  • Loss of the digital optical output present on the Connect
As for the enhanced DAC, it will be interesting to see if anyone can actually tell the difference compared to the Connect, under controlled listening conditions.

Finally, it's far too expensive. Maximum price should be $250.

The name is OK, I suppose.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

I saw someone else ask this question. Is the Port stackable? Can it be stacked with the Amp?

Port is smaller than the Amp so they don't directly stack on top of each other, but they are both designed to fit into a standard AV rack. This is why we chose a matte black finish and a size that fits 3 across in a 1 RU rack space.

Will the 12V trigger also be able to turn your 3rd party amp/receiver to the proper input?

That would depend on the Amp or receiver's capabilities. The trigger is just a basic electrical signal that let's the device on the other end know we're trying to do something.

Looks great, love the 12V switch. Is there any addition of a delay feature for other Sonos speakers to go along with the Port? That is to account for the delay that is caused when using a DSP on an A/V Receiver that is a common problem when not playing in 'direct' mode.

My guess on the removal of the optical output is because this is more of an installer product first and consumer second - and optical cables are not very robust over long distances

I'll make sure the team knows people are still asking for an option to speed the line-out up in comparison to the other Sonos players in a group. That's what would be needed if your receiver is adding an extra delay. As to the optical, we've found that Coaxial outputs can offer a higher quality of audio, so we’ve removed the optical output to ensure the best possible listening experience.

Can the 12V trigger be used to turn off the receiver, or just to turn it on?

The 12V trigger sends a signal when playback is going to start to turn on the device on the other end. It won't send a signal when music is stopped.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Do we have the Sonos understanding of 'richer sound' or is this just marketing guff? More interestingly, can the new box pass through to the Coax Out files sampled above 48/16? Not asking for Sonos-wide, 32-component synchronised distribution of such bitrates but the ability to hand these files on to an external DAC would be good in a device set for some years of service in this fast-moving tech market.

Perhaps the 'updated DAC' and updated circuitry will allow greater things in the future.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
The removed optical-out is really an issue for me if I need/want to replace my current Connect. I'm using optical to overcome the long distance between the Connect and my DAC (part of my active speakers).
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
There aren't any new announcements on updated supported codecs, but I'll make sure the team's aware you're interested. The updated DAC along with the Coax connection has a great sound to it, but ultimately you'll have to hear it yourself to decide.
Badge
Can you add speakers in a surround configuration with the Port the way that you can with the Amp?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Can you add speakers in a surround configuration with the Port the way that you can with the Amp?

Port is a standalone unit, it can't bond with surrounds, a home theater device, or have a Sonos Sub attached to it.
Badge

Can you add speakers in a surround configuration with the Port the way that you can with the Amp?Port is a standalone unit, it can't bond with surrounds, a home theater device, or have a Sonos Sub attached to it.

Thanks. So if I have a Playbase, I can’t add two speakers that have their own amplifier already to the Playbase in surround mode using this - I’d need the Amp, right?
Userlevel 3
Badge
Do we have the Sonos understanding of 'richer sound' or is this just marketing guff? More interestingly, can the new box pass through to the Coax Out files sampled above 48/16? Not asking for Sonos-wide, 32-component synchronised distribution of such bitrates but the ability to hand these files on to an external DAC would be good in a device set for some years of service in this fast-moving tech market.

Perhaps the 'updated DAC' and updated circuitry will allow greater things in the future.

This is the most important question for me too. Does this still only support up to 16bit, or does it add hi-res?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Can you add speakers in a surround configuration with the Port the way that you can with the Amp?Port is a standalone unit, it can't bond with surrounds, a home theater device, or have a Sonos Sub attached to it.
Thanks. So if I have a Playbase, I can’t add two speakers that have their own amplifier already to the Playbase in surround mode using this - I’d need the Amp, right?

That's correct. The Sonos Amp would replace your amplifier.

This is the most important question for me too. Does this still only support up to 16bit, or does it add hi-res?

I didn't include Brian's post in mine, but I think this'll answer your question too.
There aren't any new announcements on updated supported codecs, but I'll make sure the team's aware you're interested. The updated DAC along with the Coax connection has a great sound to it, but ultimately you'll have to hear it yourself to decide.
Can I connect my audio receiver to the Port and send my Xfinity audio signal through the house without delay?
Userlevel 3
Badge

I didn't include Brian's post in mine, but I think this'll answer your question too.

I would love to understand the reasoning for this. I can understand not adding hi-res support to the Connect, but this is a brand new product. I'm surprised that it doesn't at least allow hi-res passthrough through the coax cable into an external DAC.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Can I connect my audio receiver to the Port and send my Xfinity audio signal through the house without delay?
Port has an RCA analog line-in connection, but there can be a bit of a delay getting the audio input on the Port out to other speakers on the network. If it's in the same room, you might notice it, if it's in a different room, you probably wouldn't.

That's assuming your receiver can output to Port over RCA. I know some receivers will not play audio on their own connected speakers if they're also outputting audio over the line-out.
I'll just second other posters here on the question of whether the Port addresses the delay related to DSP on amps in Port/Connect zones vs. zones powered directly from Connect:Amps / Amps or Sonos speakers.

Wouldn't the simplest, most robust solution be to add a software delay to all Sonos products? Instead of speeding up a Port/Connect, we could just slow down other Sonos zones to match the one that is delayed due to DSP via its own amp (similar to adjustments for surround sounds delays that exist on most A/V receivers).
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
That is probably the way it'd have to be done. It's wouldn't be a delay on Port itself, but instead on any speakers grouped with it. I'll forward the request up to the team, but I don't have any news on the request itself.
Ryan, I know that there is a group of us who would really appreciate any attention that you can shine on this; so I appreciate your prompt reply. My listening zones are very close together, so my only solution to deal with the delay in my Connect zone is to manage it as a separate zone with different content.

I'm really intrigued by the Move speaker that you all announced today. I've been looking for a "floater" speaker that I could use in my front yard for block parties, and this may be perfect for that!
Userlevel 2
If I add Port to my system, will I be able to send audio via AirPlay 2 to a Play1 (without creating a group that includes both the Play1 and some other AirPlay 2 compatible speaker, which is the only option I have now).
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Ugh, right after I acquire a Connect too. 😞
An update to the Connect has been a long time coming! Airplay2 is a nice upgrade. The 12V trigger output is also pretty cool but there was already a solution for that. A device called "Bobwire DAT1" which will add a 12V trigger output to the Connect. But Sonos says it will "turn on your stereo receiver" using the 12V output. That doesn't make sense because stereo receivers don't have trigger inputs. A 12V trigger is used to turn on your stand alone power amp (not an AVR).
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If I add Port to my system, will I be able to send audio via AirPlay 2 to a Play1 (without creating a group that includes both the Play1 and some other AirPlay 2 compatible speaker, which is the only option I have now).
In this regard, Port functions the same as every other Sonos speaker that's AirPlay 2 compatible. It can receive the signal and play it, and can also be grouped with any other speakers to play the same audio. However, if you had an AirPlay 2 capable device connected to the Port's line-in, you could send that line-in to any Sonos player without playing it to the Port first. But that would require having something like an Airport Express connected to the Port.

Ryan, I know that there is a group of us who would really appreciate any attention that you can shine on this; so I appreciate your prompt reply. My listening zones are very close together, so my only solution to deal with the delay in my Connect zone is to manage it as a separate zone with different content.
I'll make sure to add your +1 too.
Badge +1
I like this, seems perfect for a home theater. Digging the Line-in also, provided my AVR can handle it.