Sticky Hardware News

Introducing Sonos Move, Brilliant Sound Anywhere

Introducing Sonos Move, Brilliant Sound Anywhere
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 11324 replies
Introducing Sonos Move, the durable, battery-powered smart speaker for outdoor and indoor listening. Powerful and versatile with smart, adaptable sound, Sonos Move is available starting September 24th.

Sonos Move delivers surprisingly deep bass, an ultra-wide soundscape, and Automatic Trueplay tuning that perfectly balances the sound for where you are and what you're listening to.

Move features two Class-D digital amplifiers perfectly tuned to match the speaker drivers and acoustic architecture. It also has one downward-firing tweeter into a custom-designed waveguide that disperses sound evenly, along with one mid-woofer integrated into the cabinet for deep, rich bass.

Connect Move to the rest of your Sonos system at home on WiFi to stream music in one room or in sync with other speakers throughout your home. Play music, check news, set alarms, get your questions answered, and more, completely hands free with Alexa and the Google Assistant built right in. Switch to Bluetooth when you’re away from home or on the go and play music directly from your mobile device.

Details on Sonos Move:
  • Move slides seamlessly into the included charging base and features an ergonomic handle, making it easy to pick up and carry.
  • Move has a tough durable shell and an IP56 rating, meaning it can stand up to falls, bumps, humidity, rain, dust, UV rays, and extreme heat and cold.
  • Responsive touch controls on the top of the speaker makes it easy to play, pause, skip, adjust the volume, and group rooms when on WiFi. There's also a mic button that can easily turn the microphones on or off.
  • Move also has a join button, power button, and WiFi/Bluetooth mode button on the back, just under the handle.
Power and battery:
Move’s battery will last for up to 10 hours of uninterrupted playback. If left off the charging base and unused, Move will automatically go into suspend mode to reserve battery for up to 5 days. The battery is rechargeable with an included indoor charging base or with any USB-C charger with the following output levels: 12V/3A, 15V/3A, or 20V/2.25A. After about three years, or 900 charges, Move’s battery can easily be replaced so you can keep listening for years to come.

Pre-order today on Sonos.com in shadow black for $399 US (€399 EUR), available worldwide starting September 24.

134 replies

I always thought one reason not to have had a portable speaker was the effect of moving it about could have on the matrix etc.
It obviously took a long time to develop the Move and I had assumed this hurdle had been overcome (quicker 'live' re-config etc) and I'm sure this was tried but not stable enough.

Easily said, but not so easily done.

The problem here is that the Sonos mesh isn't entirely isolated. It has to operate in conjunction with a wide variety of third-party networking kit including consumer-grade routers and switches. It, therefore, has to conform to the standards that this equipment uses. Specifically, it has to conform to standard loop-avoidance protocols, specifically, Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) and its variants.

This is impossible to avoid unless Sonos were to manufacture their own range of proprietary consumer routers and switches that didn't work with third-party network equipment, and then require that customers only use their kit. That's clearly a nonsensical idea.

So we (and Sonos) are stuck with having to support STP. This has practical consequences.

STP works by the switches, routers and (in this case) Sonos devices communicating between themselves to detect loops and to shut down duplicate paths through the that would result in a loop. If a loop does occur in a network it will cause a "broadcast storm" which will render the network unusable.

In particular, when a device joins or leaves the Sonosnet mesh, this will usually cause some or all of the network topology to be re-assessed and re-computed. This can take several minutes on a network with several switches and/or Sonos devices.

And, as I said, it's pretty much impossible to avoid this without building a proprietary loop detection and avoidance protocol which is incompatible with third-party equipment.

So if Move did work with the Sonosnet Mesh, or at least if it worked as a node within the mesh, then every time you moved it any significant distance it would likely stop your whole network from working for a significant amount of time whilst the STP topology was rebuilt.

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hi
is Move available in white?
can it be stereo paired with another Move in Bluetooth mode?
thanks
Userlevel 1
I was ecstatic when I received the email announcing the 3 new Sonos products this morning. I've been hoping for this portable speaker ever since I purchased my first Sonos speaker. Love the wifi + bluetooth. Very clever. Pre-ordered!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi melvimbe, there will be more news on accessories in the future, none to share today.

When in Bluetooth mode, Move doesn't have the microphones active. The speaker won't be playing your phone call either, as it's not set up as a Bluetooth headset. That may be a feature to suggest to the team for the future though, they'd be interested in if there's enough demand for something like that. Move can get loud, with a wide sound stage, which may make taking calls on it pretty awkward.

What is Sonos recommendation on permanent placing the Move in an outdoor location?
While it's both durable and weather resistant, we wouldn't recommend permanently placing them outside. It's portable - designed to take where ever you go, but ultimately brought back home, so tying it down in the elements isn't quite recommended.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
This decision was made based on several factors. Largely, SonosNet was designed for players in a fixed configuration, always on, and continuously connected to a home network. It wasn't designed to handle players moving around the house. Introducing our first portable speaker meant adding new features and hardware for a flexible listening experience, including Bluetooth mode and suspend mode. In order to ensure a smooth experience for customers with these additional features, Move directly connects to the access point or WiFi network.

Among many concerns, there are basic networking issues, such as if it were part of SonosNet, other players connecting to it may suddenly lose their streams if it dropped offline due to going into suspend mode.

If you're looking to use a Move out where you don't have wifi, and don't want to use Bluetooth, you could also use a wireless extender, wired into the nearest Sonos player if you wanted, and have that extend your wireless range.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Hi
is Move available in white?
can it be stereo paired with another Move in Bluetooth mode?
thanks

The Product Page is up for the Move, and I think it answers these questions. No mention of any color but black.

The FAQ section states:
Can I stereo pair Move?
Yes. You can pair two Moves on WiFi for stereo sound.

You could conclude that stereo pairing isn't available for bluetooth.
Badge
Perhaps I am in the minority, but all I asked sonos for was a play one that could be out in the direct weather elements for around $200. The price of this is audiophile territory which turns me off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
How about a version without Alexa and Google.

I don’t mind using my phone and the great Sonos app if it knocked the price down a bit.😀

If it didn't have the microphones for voice control, it wouldn't be able to use Automatic Trueplay tuning. Definitely a feature worth the price of the microphones if you ask me.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

So the Move doesn't use the Sonos mesh? I was going to buy one for the garden but WiFi is poorThat's correct. But Bluetooth would work great wherever you can't extend your WiFi to.

Not really. If we have a party the Play5 will be on in the kitchen and a Sonos One in the garden/patio, grouped. I was hoping the Move would replace the One but if it's WiFi only then it's a no go. You need to make that clear in your marketing as I'm sure many will be thinking the same as me.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Ryan, just some clarification then - Move doesn't use Sonosnet at all? For an existing setup running on Sonosnet, it has to connect to WiFi - but is then available for grouping etc.?
It needs to be in range of router/AP etc., not another Sonos device?
That's correct. Move is designed to be used in either a mixed Wifi and SonosNet mode, or on just Wifi. Functionality wise, it'll do everything you expect, just not on the SonosNet mesh.
I really don't get why you have not used SonosNet, can this be changed in future in software if there is a demand for it?

That really is disappointing. I was going to primarily use it in the garden (which is just out of WiFi range) using sonosnet from my kitchen speaker. That would make it seamless in terms of grouping all my speakers together.

I know you've confirmed it Ryan but do you not think that it's an odd decision?

Cheers
I was really excited for this but the pricing seems out of whack.

The Sonos Move Might Be the Best Bluetooth Speaker We've Ever Heard

https://www.gq.com/story/sonos-move-bluetooth-speaker
Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Amazing how Sonos seem so out of touch with their customer base regarding not having SonosNet.

Reading Ryan's note it does sound like there were stability issues. If it was that easy, I'd like to think they'd incorporate it.

I think using a WiFi extender will sort the issue for me (it's all about me!)

Anyway, I was sold at "Shadow black" 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Sound quality wise where does the move sit? Is it on a par with the one or better? Almost as good as a play5?What I've read around the net makes me think it will be atleast as good as the Sonos One or better. But it is going to be different since it's designed to sound better in an outdoor environment. I can't imagine it will sound as good as the play:5, given it's price.

In my opinion, it has deeper bass, wider range, and a much wider sound stage than the Sonos One. It gets louder, sounds better, and also is able to automatically tune itself using Trueplay while playing music. It doesn't have the same sound as a Play:5, but it definitely fits in the middle between the two.

In a way, this is a spiritual successor to the Play:3, aside from having Bluetooth, a battery, microphones, and only two amplifiers

When the Move is off the charging base can the speaker still operate in WiFi mode?

For example, if you were outside the house with WiFi coverage but wanted the speaker to use the battery for power.

I wasn’t sure if the speaker reverts to Bluetooth as soon as it is taken off the charger.

Thanks
This is actually one of the more advertised use cases, and one of the primary reasons it connects to wifi and not sonosnet. So yes, most definitely.

There's a button on the back of the unit that turns on the Bluetooth mode. Until that's pressed and held for a few seconds, the unit will operate as a wireless Sonos speaker. Removing it from the charging base won't change the mode its in, or what's playing.

Has there been any mention of delay when using Bluetooth?

Could I connect the Move to my iPad, via Bluetooth, then use it to play the audio of videos and games with no lag?
Good question. I feel pretty comfortable saying yes, as that would be a serious drawback, but Sonos should confirm that.

I'm happy to confirm that the Bluetooth doesn't have any noticeable latency. Playing the audio off of a phone/iPad to Move is one of the main purposes of the Bluetooth in the first place. It should work great.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ordered mine today!!! Of you know I’ll give you my unbiased opinion after putting it through my tests. Just want to keep @Ryan S honest! 😁
In Ryan’s opening post I see that the new 'Move' speaker is rated at IP56 ...I found this chart (attached), which quickly shows what that means.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The USB-C on Port is used for charging the unit when you don't have access to the included power dock. It's not for only for wall use, but can also be used with a power bank.

Note:
The battery is rechargeable with an included indoor charging base or with any USB-C charger with the following output levels: 12V/3A, 15V/3A, or 20V/2.25A.

That includes a USB-C cable plugged into the wall.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Awesome news Ryan!

I'm sure I will have more questions, but here's a few for now.

I noticed there aren't any accessories for the Move list on the site. Can we expect some to be posted soon? I'm thinking along the line of a carrying case or wall mounting options.

When in bluetooth mode, can the Move be used with phone calls? Can you use voice control through your phone in bluetooth mode? Since it is both a speaker and microphone array, seems like it would be possible, although I would not be surprised if the mic is just off in bluetooth mode.

What is Sonos recommendation on permanent placing the Move in an outdoor location?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Great news Sonos, definitely a speaker I was waiting for!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I don’t mind using my phone and the great Sonos app if it knocked the price down a bit.😀

Being that the price between the new Sonos One SL (no voice control ) and Sonos One (w/voice control) is $20, I don't think it would really knock the price of the Move down very much.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

The SL One is only $20 cheaper than the One. Sonos places so little value on voice control I don't think it would drive the price down much, though I like where you are going with it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
I do wonder then how many users appreciate the Move can't use or connect to the tech that has always been the cornerstone, advantage and patented tech that Sonos is {or was??) based on.
Probably no coincidence then that Sonos has really been pushing users towards a WiFi setup lately and to 'try it'....?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Ryan, just some clarification then - Move doesn't use Sonosnet at all? For an existing setup running on Sonosnet, it has to connect to WiFi - but is then available for grouping etc.?
It needs to be in range of router/AP etc., not another Sonos device?
That's correct. Move is designed to be used in either a mixed Wifi and SonosNet mode, or on just Wifi. Functionality wise, it'll do everything you expect, just not on the SonosNet mesh.

I really don't get why you have not used SonosNet, can this be changed in future in software if there is a demand for it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
On the absense of sonosnet, it might be because the Move is designed to work with multiple wifi networks. It was discussed in another thread...the Move will store up to 16 SSIDs and passwords. Perhaps it cannot easily switch between wifi and sonosnet seemlessly as the device is moved around.

Not trying to minimize the case where wifi isn't available, just maybe helping answer the question of why?
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
On the absense of sonosnet, it might be because the Move is designed to work with multiple wifi networks. It was discussed in another thread...the Move will store up to 16 SSIDs and passwords. Perhaps it cannot easily switch between wifi and sonosnet seemlessly as the device is moved around.

Not trying to minimize the case where wifi isn't available, just maybe helping answer the question of why?

Thanks for the info. Am I being stupid but why would it need to store 16 SSIDs? Do Sonos assume I might have 15 friends that use Sonos and require me to bring my speaker over to their house 🙂