Introducing Sonos Move, Brilliant Sound Anywhere

Related products: Hardware News
Introducing Sonos Move, Brilliant Sound Anywhere
Introducing Sonos Move, the durable, battery-powered smart speaker for outdoor and indoor listening. Powerful and versatile with smart, adaptable sound, Sonos Move is available starting September 24th.

Sonos Move delivers surprisingly deep bass, an ultra-wide soundscape, and Automatic Trueplay tuning that perfectly balances the sound for where you are and what you're listening to.

Move features two Class-D digital amplifiers perfectly tuned to match the speaker drivers and acoustic architecture. It also has one downward-firing tweeter into a custom-designed waveguide that disperses sound evenly, along with one mid-woofer integrated into the cabinet for deep, rich bass.

Connect Move to the rest of your Sonos system at home on WiFi to stream music in one room or in sync with other speakers throughout your home. Play music, check news, set alarms, get your questions answered, and more, completely hands free with Alexa and the Google Assistant built right in. Switch to Bluetooth when you’re away from home or on the go and play music directly from your mobile device.

Details on Sonos Move:

• Move slides seamlessly into the included charging base and features an ergonomic handle, making it easy to pick up and carry.
  • Move has a tough durable shell and an IP56 rating, meaning it can stand up to falls, bumps, humidity, rain, dust, UV rays, and extreme heat and cold.
  • Responsive touch controls on the top of the speaker makes it easy to play, pause, skip, adjust the volume, and group rooms when on WiFi. There's also a mic button that can easily turn the microphones on or off.
  • Move also has a join button, power button, and WiFi/Bluetooth mode button on the back, just under the handle.

Power and battery:

Move’s battery will last for up to 10 hours of uninterrupted playback. If left off the charging base and unused, Move will automatically go into suspend mode to reserve battery for up to 5 days. The battery is rechargeable with an included indoor charging base or with any USB-C charger with the following output levels: 12V/3A, 15V/3A, or 20V/2.25A. After about three years, or 900 charges, Move’s battery can easily be replaced so you can keep listening for years to come.

Pre-order today on Sonos.com in shadow black for $399 US (€399 EUR), available worldwide starting September 24.

davidblack,
Just a different viewpoint from me..!

I have two Sonos ‘Move’ speakers and some old legacy Sonos speakers too ... no regrets here whatsoever.

I will likely shift mine to the ‘modern’ setup when that happens in May. 

I don’t see the point in whinging about a speaker that’s portable and designed to move around, out & about the home anyway.

The speaker is a great portable sound system on its own, one of the best on the market, I think. 

My glass is the one on the right, when if comes to the Sonos Move…

I guess it depends on how you use them

I largely use my move in a workshop where I am regularly wandering between the workshop and the office.  Office has two “legacy” products.

There is some sound “overlap” between the areas so I need to have the same playing in both areas.

I need to be able to move the unit around the workshop and I don’t have spare power points.

Hence Move was ideal

If i wanted a stand-alone Bluetooth speaker I would have spent A$500 less 

I tend to use dual mono Bluetooth across both of mine, albeit rarely.

My garden area has 5ghz WiFi built-in with our camera/security system so I piggy-back off that when taken outside. Otherwise they're on 5ghz in the house. In any event your ‘Move’ speaker will just continue to work exactly as it does now, post May 2020, so dunno what you’re complaining about here? Sonos have promised any security updates and patches, just no further features for the older legacy products.

davidblack,
Just a different viewpoint from me..!

I have two Sonos ‘Move’ speakers and some old legacy Sonos speakers too ... no regrets here whatsoever.

I will likely shift mine to the ‘modern’ setup when that happens in May. 

I don’t see the point in whinging about a speaker that’s portable and designed to move around, out & about the home anyway.

The speaker is a great portable sound system on its own, one of the best on the market, I think. 

My glass is the one on the right, when if comes to the Sonos Move…

I guess it depends on how you use them

I largely use my move in a workshop where I am regularly wandering between the workshop and the office.  Office has two “legacy” products.

There is some sound “overlap” between the areas so I need to have the same playing in both areas.

I need to be able to move the unit around the workshop and I don’t have spare power points.

Hence Move was ideal

If i wanted a stand-alone Bluetooth speaker I would have spent A$500 less 

I tend to use dual mono Bluetooth across both of mine, albeit rarely.

My garden area has 5ghz WiFi built-in with our camera/security system so i piggy back off that when taken outside. Otherwise their on 5ghz in the house. In any event your Move speaker will just continue to work exactly as it does now post May 2020, so dunno what you’re complaining about here? Sonos have promised any security updates and patches, just no further features for the older legacy products.

Dude he clearly says because he can't integrate the move with his legacy speakers unless he forgoes updates. He may as well have bought a $100 Bluetooth speaker.Sonos is holding his updates hostage unless he spends more money replacing old units. 

In any event your ‘Move’ speaker will just continue to work exactly as it does now, post May 2020, so dunno what you’re complaining about here? Sonos have promised any security updates and patches, just no further features for the older legacy products.

Except that I will never be able to update the Move firmware (whilst I want to use it in a group with legacy units)

So as soon as say a streaming service needs a firmware update I can no longer use that service on the Move

if I ever update the Move firmware (deliberately or by accident) I will not be able to move it with ‘legacy’ products

In any event your ‘Move’ speaker will just continue to work exactly as it does now, post May 2020, so dunno what you’re complaining about here? Sonos have promised any security updates and patches, just no further features for the older legacy products.

Except that I will never be able to update the Move firmware (whilst I want to use it in a group with legacy units)

So as soon as say a streaming service needs a firmware update I can no longer use that service on the Move

if I ever update the Move firmware (deliberately or by accident) I will not be able to move it with ‘legacy’ products

That’s speculation on your part… I would wait to see the detail. You might not be able to ‘accidentally’ switch to modern mode. You may even be able to switch back to legacy mode.. let’s wait and see. The announcement says the speakers “will still work exactly as they do now”, that’s if you choose to do nothing. It almost feels like paranoia is setting in here for some people, without even seeing the detail.

It’s not speculation - it’s what Sonos have said !

Can two of these be used in a surround configuration when on WiFi (I.e. like Sonos Ones)?

Do you mean bonding it with a home theater Sonos speaker like a Beam? If so, no. Move is designed to be portable, and the portable nature of it makes more permanent pairing like as a home theater surround give a poor experience.

This is a killer for me. My lounge doesn’t have power to the rear left so I can’t have a permanent speaker there so a speaker I could undock and move there as I need would be a fantastic feature.

Can two of these be used in a surround configuration when on WiFi (I.e. like Sonos Ones)?

Do you mean bonding it with a home theater Sonos speaker like a Beam? If so, no. Move is designed to be portable, and the portable nature of it makes more permanent pairing like as a home theater surround give a poor experience.

This is a killer for me. My lounge doesn’t have power to the rear left so I can’t have a permanent speaker there so a speaker I could undock and move there as I need would be a fantastic feature.

I’ve since looked into this some more and it appears that Play 5s can be used as surrounds which seems to rule out the point about the soundstage of the Moves not being suitable.  I’d really like to see this functionality added to the Moves as it would improve my investment and give me the surround functionality which i’d otherwise be unable to achieve with a permanently powered speaker.

I’ve since looked into this some more and it appears that Play 5s can be used as surrounds which seems to rule out the point about the soundstage of the Moves not being suitable.

How?  The Move and play:5 are not identical speakers and have different sound stages.

I’ve since looked into this some more and it appears that Play 5s can be used as surrounds which seems to rule out the point about the soundstage of the Moves not being suitable.

How?  The Move and play:5 are not identical speakers and have different sound stages.

No, I was referring to people using 2 x Play 5s as surrounds. If the soundstage on those is suitable than sure 2 Moves would be OK from the soundstage point of view.

No, I was referring to people using 2 x Play 5s as surrounds. If the soundstage on those is suitable than sure 2 Moves would be OK from the soundstage point of view.

But your logic is incorrect.  You can’t conclude that what works for the play:5 also works for the Move.  the Move is actually designed with the speakers more directed outword to the sides give a more wider sound.  That sort of setup is more suitable for outdoors or from a soundbar setup.  Surround sound speakers should me more directional, where the sound is clearly coming form behind you rather than around you.  I have no doubt that Sonos tested this out, as they clearly would be happy to sell you a pair of moves for surround sound if it worked out well.

I swapped a Sonos Move for my Play:5 using the trade-up scheme.  I love it, except for two things:

First, microphone sensitivity.  It sits on a shelf 6 feet behind me.  In order to get it to respond to voice commands, I have to turn round and raise my voice a lot to get it to respond.  And when I do so my echo dot 25 feet away in the other room thinks I’m talking to it

It’s even worse when there’s music playing.  I suppose that’s expected with the extra ambient sound emanating from the same device.

Any tips please?

Second, why can’t we use Alexa and Google Assistant at the same time?

Anyone not sure about investing 400 on the new, portable and Bluetooth enabled Sonos Move; because I too cringed at the price, comparing other high quality units from industry leaders like Bose or Apple, and not seeing an equivalent value for the cost or considering the fact that I could, for the same money, buy 2 or 3 times the speaker other places for the same amount. Ultimately, though, these considerations didn’t help me make my decision to go with the Sonos Move any easier. In fact, I must confess that after receiving and experiencing my Move, the $400 investment is a bargain on a multitude of different levels. Sound quality is really an already known variable, so I won’t go there. This unit’s mobile ability allows you to take, share and experience any music at the highest possible quality anytime, anywhere! You'll be shocked to learn that most of your friends, family and acquaintances have never had the opportunity to enjoy music with such depth of superior sound. Also, the durability and build quality are first rate, preserving the longevity of this speaker while protecting everything you love from it for years to come. Another thing, and it may sound trivial to you now, but as far as Bluetooth speakers are concerned, Sonos stands alone, further ahead than any competition not only because of everything I mentioned already but also particularly  because of the “charging ring stand” included with the Move. The problem or shall I say inconvenience of charging Bluetooth speakers across the board is an annoying obstacle that I believe Sonos has provided the solution to in this amazing new tech. The idea of this ring, which is a sort of cradle the base fits into, becomes second nature instantly in ease. Moreover, the practicality if such an awesome concept allows you to almost forget about completely the hassles and nuances of finding a charging cord that fits, dealing with the newfound limited mobility of your plugged in speaker; or maybe you just have no options if stranded, making your Bluetooth speaker into a super sized paperweight while the music you were enjoying escapes into the ether, never to return! Well,  not until you get home. I’m not suggesting the Sonos Move will never die, but this whole ring base charging stand concept works in a way that easily keeps the speaker fully charged without even thinking about it. It is truly amazing! Finally, I’d like to speak to the idea that some believe is a negative attribute for the Sonos Move, and that is this notion that the Bluetooth doesn’t work making/answering  phone calls. Look and listen, this product has the blood sweat and tears of top musicians, engineers and masters to make it the best of the best in your experience of music and sound. This, I firmly believe, supersedes all else. Anyone can buy an echo dot or some other such thing to make or receive calls. Not everyone can produce the kind of magical sound, versatility or innovation coming out of the Sonos Move. Get one now! If you’re not satisfied, you can easily get close to what you paid on eBay; and in all actuality, within 30 days of purchase, this wonderful company will issue you a refund while amazing you with their five star service department! The Sonos Move is truly a sure bet, a win win!