Hardware News

Introducing Sonos Move, Brilliant Sound Anywhere

Introducing Sonos Move, Brilliant Sound Anywhere

Show first post

237 replies

Badge +1
Our Sonos System runs via a sonos Bridge not WiFi - Will these speakers still work OK

We have WiFi outside
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Can Move be used in a location without WiFi?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Our Sonos System runs via a sonos Bridge not WiFi - Will these speakers still work OK

We have WiFi outside

Move will connect to your house Wifi, not the Bridge's, but it'll sync with your system while on the network without issues. Also, you may want to try out your whole system on the house wireless, the Bridge is getting pretty old and modern routers will have better wireless performance. You may not notice any issues, but it certainly might be worth testing things out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Looks like the Move is exclusive to Sonos.com. Does anyone know why? When will it be in stores (besides Sonos.com) and on Amazon?

The preorder is on Sonos.com, but you'll see it showing up in stores and online when it becomes available for shipping.
Krismusic, yes, it can be switched to a single point Bluetooth speaker.
Badge
Hi all, slightly random question but how does the sound of the Move compare to sound from the Beam For playing music? Thanks

I personally find the quality a lot better on the move, not that there is any problems on the beam I just find the sound a lot more crisper

This is definitely an interesting product in terms of having it in rooms with lack of sockets (for instance in the bathroom). However, I will not buy it unless they produce it in white

When using the Move at home as a normal speaker does one remove it to charge? Or can it charge continuously as one uses it?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'remove' in your first statement. Remove from your Sonos network? No. Remove it from the charger? Obviously not. Did you mean something else?

Yes. it will charge as it's play, whether in wifi or bluetooth mode.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
How about a version without Alexa and Google.

I don’t mind using my phone and the great Sonos app if it knocked the price down a bit.😀
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Danny, thanks. I meant to ask if it could be playing while charging. In other words can it simply remain in the charger and work as a day to day Sonos speaker. You answered my question, in spite of my lack of clarity.
I'd be interested to know why Truplay doesn't work for BT and can't imagine it's a CPU issue where it's otherwise handed off to the cloud.

I don't know, but speculating...perhaps it's assumed that the speaker in BT mode will mostly be used in an open environment where auto trueplay is less effective. Or perhaps they simply haven't gotten a chance to properly development and test yet. Perhaps a combination of the two.

I also wonder if there are some legal concerns about using microphones in public places where BT would function? I wouldn't think so, but don't know.

Related to this, I wonder why Alexa access isn't available in BT mode, if the device you're BT connected to is Alexa capable. It really wouldn't be Alexa at this point, but a BT mic with the phone, used for whatever purpose you want, including phone calls. My guess is that it either didn't test out well, isn't a direction Sonos wants to go, or perhaps is not something they feel comfortable releasing without further testing.

I don’t mind using my phone and the great Sonos app if it knocked the price down a bit.😀
The SL One is only $20 cheaper than the One. Sonos places so little value on voice control I don't think it would drive the price down much, though I like where you are going with it.

So little value? Since the echo dot costs $50, often much less, it's really hard to charge much more for voice control no matter what value Sonos may think it is.
Hi Ryan,

Great news about a portable/outdoor Sonos! A quick question about the Bluetooth connection, I am thinking about using the speaker with a wireless Bluetooth transmitter attached to my projector in an outdoor movie setup. My concern is with Bluetooth 4.2 and latency, I want to make sure the audio and video are well synced. Do you have any specs on the Move's Bluetooth latency and whether or not it will work to steam synchronized video dialog. Thanks in advance for your help!

Rich-
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Rich, there would be several factors at play in your situation, so your experience may definitely vary from what's expected. There's a minimal delay from when Move receives the Bluetooth signal until it plays it, but your Bluetooth transmitter will likely have a delay as well, prior to sending the audio. For use with a projector in this setup, I'd expect to see a bit of a lipsync issue. However, it certainly wouldn't hurt to try. If you do, let us know how it goes!

davidblack,
Just a different viewpoint from me..!

I have two Sonos ‘Move’ speakers and some old legacy Sonos speakers too ... no regrets here whatsoever.

I will likely shift mine to the ‘modern’ setup when that happens in May. 

I don’t see the point in whinging about a speaker that’s portable and designed to move around, out & about the home anyway.

The speaker is a great portable sound system on its own, one of the best on the market, I think. 

My glass is the one on the right, when if comes to the Sonos Move…

I guess it depends on how you use them

I largely use my move in a workshop where I am regularly wandering between the workshop and the office.  Office has two “legacy” products.

There is some sound “overlap” between the areas so I need to have the same playing in both areas.

I need to be able to move the unit around the workshop and I don’t have spare power points.

Hence Move was ideal

If i wanted a stand-alone Bluetooth speaker I would have spent A$500 less 

I tend to use dual mono Bluetooth across both of mine, albeit rarely.

My garden area has 5ghz WiFi built-in with our camera/security system so I piggy-back off that when taken outside. Otherwise they're on 5ghz in the house. In any event your ‘Move’ speaker will just continue to work exactly as it does now, post May 2020, so dunno what you’re complaining about here? Sonos have promised any security updates and patches, just no further features for the older legacy products.

Badge +1
So I could have this thing setting on the base, using it, and then pick it up and take it outside for the evening?

I may have to buy one ASAP. I was going to install some in-ground speakers and do it thataway.

The SL One is only $20 cheaper than the One. Sonos places so little value on voice control I don't think it would drive the price down much, though I like where you are going with it.
So little value? Since the echo dot costs $50, often much less, it's really hard to charge much more for voice control no matter what value Sonos may think it is.
.... which is exactly my point. Taking voice control out of the Move isn't going to drop the price $100.

I was mostly commenting on the 'so little value' aspect of your comment. I don't think of 'value' and 'cost/price' to be the same thing.

I think that's exactly the issue. Sure, you can use them outside as any type of Sonos speaker. But how do you get the audio from the TV to the Sonos ecosystem? You'd have to have a line in to the TV's line out (either digital for the PLAYBAR, PLAYBASE, Beam, Sonos Amp or analog for the Port, PLAY:5).Thats a bit of a bummer. I was hoping there would be a way. I’m only looking for stereo, don’t need 3.1 or 5.1, just something better than tv speakers.

so no way to get this to work? Bummer as that's the reason I'd buy a move; to get better sound than an outdoor tv would provide as well as using it as a regular sonos network device. When I saw there was no audio in like the playbar has, I figured maybe some sort of wireless workaround might be possible, even if it means having to hook something to the tv or cable box itself, but appears not.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3

This decision was made based on several factors. Largely, SonosNet was designed for players in a fixed configuration, always on, and continuously connected to a home network. It wasn't designed to handle players moving around the house. Introducing our first portable speaker meant adding new features and hardware for a flexible listening experience, including Bluetooth mode and suspend mode. In order to ensure a smooth experience for customers with these additional features, Move directly connects to the access point or WiFi network.This is very disappointing for me, I was planning to use the Move in-house, and bring it to the garden when being outside. I have great SonosNet coverage in the garden, but no standard wifi.

A good solution for Move and the rest of your wireless devices for that matter, would be to use a wireless extender to get WiFi out to the garden. .........................The CONTROL (formerly CR200) is the only Sonos controller these days that's able to be on SonosNet, so you'd want to get your house WiFi out that way for that too.

Actually, a wifi extender is not a good solution in my opinion. Not another radio transmitter in my home. For me the main reason to stick to Sonos is it’s great SonosNet network. And yes, that’s why the CR200 in our home has still great use.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3

.... which is exactly my point. Taking voice control out of the Move isn't going to drop the price $100.
I was mostly commenting on the 'so little value' aspect of your comment. I don't think of 'value' and 'cost/price' to be the same thing.

Clearly you understood my point. I have no interest in engaging in a semantic argument. What a great place this is.
Userlevel 7

This is very disappointing for me, I was planning to use the Move in-house, and bring it to the garden when being outside. I have great SonosNet coverage in the garden, but no standard wifi.

@biggetjeindewei

Question: Are you indicating that your cell phone or no Wi-Fi enabled device works over Wi-Fi in your garden? If they do I'd imagine the Move would connect as well. Remember, Sonos offers a 45 day free return policy.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

We have WiFi outside
Move will connect to your house Wifi, not the Bridge's, but it'll sync with your system while on the network without issues. Also, you may want to try out your whole system on the house wireless, the Bridge is getting pretty old and modern routers will have better wireless performance. You may not notice any issues, but it certainly might be worth testing things out.

So the Move doesn't use the Sonos mesh? I was going to buy one for the garden but WiFi is poor
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

So the Move doesn't use the Sonos mesh? I was going to buy one for the garden but WiFi is poor

That's correct. But Bluetooth would work great wherever you can't extend your WiFi to.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Ryan, just some clarification then - Move doesn't use Sonosnet at all? For an existing setup running on Sonosnet, it has to connect to WiFi - but is then available for grouping etc.?

It needs to be in range of router/AP etc., not another Sonos device?
I’m enjoying my move after a week but one of the main reasons I bought it for doesn’t seem to be working: the Move is not recognized by iPad Bluetooth. I use the new speaker with both WiFi for Sonos, and using Airplay for podcasts off my iPhone via Bluetooth, no problem. But, taking the Move inside or outside to chill and stream programs or live TV off my iPad, the Move does not show up as a device on the iPad. No amount of rebooting, restarting, or patience has changed the result.

Any ideas here?