Hardware News

Introducing Sonos Move, Brilliant Sound Anywhere

Introducing Sonos Move, Brilliant Sound Anywhere

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

237 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Can Move be used in a location without WiFi?
Userlevel 2
Hi all, slightly random question but how does the sound of the Move compare to sound from the Beam For playing music? Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I'd be interested to know why Truplay doesn't work for BT and can't imagine it's a CPU issue where it's otherwise handed off to the cloud.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
When using the Move at home as a normal speaker does one remove it to charge? Or can it charge continuously as one uses it?
I would struggle with where the processing to do that 'non-connected' TruePlay is coming from. I suppose it's possible that there might be enough CPU on the speaker itself, but as I understand it, right now, the microphones are turned off in BT mode, perhaps for power saving, since BT would normally be off charger.

Of course, it's wise to never say never, given enough time, money, and thought, anything is possible 🙂
AjTrek1,

I interpret the comment in the same way as you and that it’s perhaps a case of Sonos are looking into the possibility of the speaker being able to do the auto-TruePlay tuning in BT mode. I guess only time will tell.

I think Sonos may need to make the process easier for a user to add a new wifi network for the speaker to use when it’s in range. It is not yet as simple as I would like it to be.

By the way I understand some Samsung mobile devices can play to two Bluetooth speakers at the same time (S8/S9 mobiles, I think?) ... not stereo, but I believe both will play in sync and there’s rumour that iOS devices maybe able to also do this over BT at some point in the future.

I will just finish by saying that I really like the new ‘Move' speaker too by the way.
Userlevel 7
If we are to read between the lines,,,which I know can be dangerous. Below is a FAQ on the Move copied from the Sonos website....

Question: Does automatic Trueplay work when Move is on Bluetooth?

Answer: Automatic Trueplay currently only works on WiFi.

All information today suggests that automatic Trueplay is not possible on the Move when in BT mode. Now, I'm not an editor of words by any stretch of the imagination. However use of the two words "currently only" (in the answer given to the question) might suggest that in a furure update auto-Truepaly; or at least the ability to use Trueplay when the Move is in BT mode may be forth coming. 😯

How do you guys interpret that statement. 🤔
Userlevel 7
Hello

Well I finally received my Move on 9/24. I finished setting them up and ran a few initial tests. I'll probably add to this critique as I use them more but for now here's what I experienced.

Packaging/Unboxing: Sonos did a great job here. Excellent presentation not only with the box materials but the wrapping/packaging of the charging ring which comes in its own box nestled in with the speaker. The speaker is enclosed in a nice black sock with draw string secured by a spring pressure button. Think of a hoodie’s draw string button used to secure it around your head. I don’t envision using the sock as a carry for the speaker. I’d only use it to protect the finish if I were packing it in a car trunk for transport.

Setup: Very easy and straight forward. The app will even instruct you to place the speaker on the charge ring if it determines that the battery is not charged enough. I have two Move’s and the first must have had a sufficient charge as I was not asked to place it on the ring. You are given the choice to enable TruePlay or not. Although I don’t see why one would not engage it.

One thing I didn’t like (and this would not be an issue if you’re only setting up one speaker) is that the app will discover both speakers and display the ID number. I was forced to determine the exact speaker to know which one to push the setup button on when prompted. For some reason Sonos printed the ID numbers in a very tiny font that is almost the same color as the speaker. As the ID number appears on the back of the speaker if would have been nice if had it been printed in white as a contrast for easier reading. Sonos, you dropped the ball on that one.

Audio: This is all IMO. The Move sounds great. I’d place it a step above the old Play 3 and a step and a half above a Sonos One/SL. The Play 5 is still the flagship (as well it should be). Tonality wise the Move is a bit crisp but has a enough low-end so as not to sound harsh. It can definitely fill a space 20 x 12 with 8 ft ceiling adequately (4 walls). Vocals are clean with a good mid-range for music given the size of the speaker. No no coloring was displayed (IMO).

As a stereo pair they are awesome. I did an A/B test of the Move’s against my Play 5’s. There is a difference. However I think the non-discriminating listener will find little fault. Even without a sub when in stereo pair the low-end is noticeable.

Another nice touch is that if the stereo pair is broken and they are later brought together again they return to the original L/R paring without going through the entire setup. I recommend that you some how mark the right and left speaker if you move both at the same time (especially if moved to different locations).

Bluetooth: The Move does take a slight hit in sound quality versus being on Wi-Fi. Even so they beat all other BT speakers I’ve experienced hands-down. Interestingly, I paired both on my iPhone simultaneously. I was able to switch between them without a problem. Although as we all know they will not play together.

Charging: When there are two speakers in stereo pair the indicator in the Sonos app will favor the speaker with the lowest charge to display. That’s a good idea as in that manner when the speaker with the lowest charge shows 100% you know the other is good-to-go.

I also found them easy to place in the charging ring as they can only fit in one manner.

Controls: They are nicely laid out. In fact I was able to move between BT and Wi-Fi without looking behind the speaker. If you have a good sense of touch you’ll easily know the power button from the setup button after the initial setup.

Overall First Impression: I'm very pleased/impressed with the Move and would recommend it in a heart beat.

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Wondering about Move's durability? Check out our video, the breaking of Move and our blog post here as well:

The charging loop dock that comes with the Move isn't designed to run the cable through the wall. As you said, in wall use is dependent on local codes, and it also would depend on the cable. I'm with Airgetlam, I'd be surprised if you find one that can. Also, the length would be a trick too. If you're wondering about mounting, it'd be best to run an outlet and connect the Move to that outside the wall.

I wasn't thinking when I asked that question. It wouldn't be practical to pull the electrical plug or ring through a wall regardless. You're correct that you could definitely do a out let relocation to get it done. I use USB to Micro USB cables outside, rated for outdoor use and should be fine indoors as well. Haven't seen one that's USB-C though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The charging loop dock that comes with the Move isn't designed to run the cable through the wall. As you said, in wall use is dependent on local codes, and it also would depend on the cable. I'm with Airgetlam, I'd be surprised if you find one that can. Also, the length would be a trick too. If you're wondering about mounting, it'd be best to run an outlet and connect the Move to that outside the wall.
I would be stunned if it was, Danny.
Do we know if the power cable is rated for in-wall use? It's going depend on local codes, but i would think at 20V, that it would be.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@Ryan S - are there any accessories coming out? I need some sort of shelf/wall mount

There will be some things coming out for the Move, but we haven't specifically announced what yet, so I'll the best I can give you a generic "Yes." I'll make sure the team knows there's interest in a shelf or wall mount though.

And of course, if an accessory you're looking for doesn't come out with the first batch, there may always be more to come. Perhaps one of the other companies out there that makes Sonos accessories will see a gap and decide to build something to fill it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
@Ryan S - are there any accessories coming out? I need some sort of shelf/wall mount
Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Thanks!

We have thicker walls in the UK! I have a Unifi AC Pro which is next to an outside wall. Inside it's 800Mbps, in the garden on the other side of the wall it's 0. I will happily try the Move but I doubt it will work.
I'm in the U.K. also and in a double brick-built property with a Netgear central router, located nearer to the front of the house and the 'Move' speaker is working fine in the rear garden through one internal wall and one external double wall, at an estimated 40 feet away from the router, if that helps at all?

I just walked mine to the end of my garden approx 100 feet from the router and a few walls in between. It worked for a while before cutting but even that impressed me. I'm getting consistent connection though as above, with it staying connected at approx 40-50 feet way.

Cheers
Thanks. I got a Move today, £340 with eBay discount so couldn't resist. Not tried it in the garden yet though due to the rain.

Why is the plug so big, 7cm from the socket once plugged in!

You had a good buy there.

I agree the charger is quite big isn’t it. I put a double-plug in my power outlet and have the charger vertical, rather than horizontal, plus it leaves room for the socket to be used for something else.

I think I read that the speaker battery takes less than 1hr 30mins to charge to its full state and lasts 10 hours. So that sounds pretty good.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
I'm in the U.K. also and in a double brick-built property with a Netgear central router, located nearer to the front of the house and the 'Move' speaker is working fine in the rear garden through one internal wall and one external double wall, at an estimated 40 feet away from the router, if that helps at all?

Had it not have worked, I would have perhaps added a cheap TP-Link 360 WiFi repeater, operating on the same wifi channels, near to rear of the premises.

The rest of my Sonos is still running on SonosNet.

I chose to run the Move on a 2.4ghz signal, rather than the 5ghz.. you do get to choose the WiFi options during initial setup.

Thanks. I got a Move today, £340 with eBay discount so couldn't resist. Not tried it in the garden yet though due to the rain.

Why is the plug so big, 7cm from the socket once plugged in!
Thanks!

We have thicker walls in the UK! I have a Unifi AC Pro which is next to an outside wall. Inside it's 800Mbps, in the garden on the other side of the wall it's 0. I will happily try the Move but I doubt it will work.

Had it not have worked, I would have perhaps added a cheap TP-Link 360 WiFi repeater, operating on the same wifi channels, near to rear of the premises.

The rest of my Sonos is still running on SonosNet.

I chose to run the Move on a 2.4ghz signal, rather than the 5ghz.. you do get to choose the WiFi options during initial setup.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The online reviews i have seen mention that the shape of the ring means that the speaker will always seat itself in the correct place for proper charging. Any click or magnetism would mean the base comes with you when you lift the move. I like that, even if the empty base is not an object of beauty! Inductive charging would have been a nice option though.

I've yet to see one in the flesh but it's already on my Santas wishlist 🙂
One thing I'm not that crazy about is the charging ring. It's good in the sense that the speaker fits in there easily, but there isn't any snap or click feedback to let you know that it's there and charging. Maybe it's something that I'll get used to, but everything else I have with batteries gives me some feedback that's it's actually charging when I think it is. I know there's a light shining through the grill to let me know it's charging, but I really don't want to look at it.

Not all the crazy about how the ring looks without the speaker on it. Although it's sturdy, it doesn't look very substantial, and doesn't hide the power cord at all. The last is probably not a big deal depending on where you place the ring.

I've said this before, but I really want a wall mounting solution for the Move. The Move's at it's best when it's not docked, and I really don't want the ring to take up valuable space on a table or counter. Hopefully we'll see one soon.

And one other thing I forgot to mention, when looking at first images of the Move, I didn't like how the capacitive controls were pushed forward, not in the middle where they make more sense for swiping. After holding the Move, you can see why that was done. Your thumb or palm could easily hit a button if it was centered. Controls moved to front prevents that from happening.
Userlevel 7
@melvimbe

Congratulations. I get mine tomorrow! Yippee!
So as I stated above, my Move arrived a day early. I really love it, and for reasons I wasn't expecting. It's not

Packaging is nice, same as you always get with Sonos. A rather nice bonus is the Move came wrapped in it's own drawstring back that you can just use. I absolutely love little things like this, and I probably would have ended up buying one if not included. Very nice touch.

The size is actually pretty nice. A little heavy, but not overburdening at all. I like the handle way better than I thought I would and you can tell there was a lot of thought into getting it right.

Setup was rather easy as expected. Same as any other Sonos speaker, except you're going to want to setup bluetooth as well.

When I start playing it at first, it sounded plenty powerful, but not great overall. But that's because auto trueplay wasn't done yet. By the end of the first song, it's sounds like it's tuned. This is a very nice feature, absolutely love it. I think Sonos picked the right product to introduce the feature, because you can move it from room to room and hear the it make adjustments and improve itself. Not just demonstrating it's ability, but fun to do, IMO.

Overall sound quality once tuned is really better than expected. It feels like a little better than play:3. It's not going to beat out a pair of Sonos Ones, but you get all the new features.

The wifi range is pretty strong. It could go further than my Galaxy 9 could. Bluetooth mode sound quality isn't quite as good but feels like it's mostly due to the lack of auto trueplay. It feels like it assumes you're going to use it outside and tunes to that expectation.

One little important feature when switching modes, it seems like it remembers the volume you had on wifi. So when you switch it to bluetooth, you're going to mess with the volume, probably louder. Going back to wifi, it seemed to go back to it's previous volume. Oh, and I really like that the wifi/BT button is slightly raised and a different shape then the other buttons. It makes it so you can switch by touch alone, blind.

Alexa works as expected. I didn't play with it too much, but don't expect any issues.

I'm not exactly sure where I'm going to use the Move yet, what rooms since I have Sonos everywhere already. I think the answer might be, all of them. I've tried it in the dining room, a bedroom, a bathroom, the garage, the patio, it works everywhere. It's got a slightly different sound to it. And I found that I like picking it up and carry it around with me. And I suddenly have the desire to go to the beach this weekend. The Move makes me want to move.

Overall, what stands out the most to me isn't that it sounds good, that it's got a battery...we've seen that with other speakers before. It's auto trueplay, that it gonna sound good where ever you place it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Received mine today. Is there. A way to know the battery level without having to look at the room on the app?

There's no regular power indicator on the device, we found the best place to put it was in the app. Where were you looking to find a power indication? I'll pass along that as feedback.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Received mine today. Is there. A way to know the battery level without having to look at the room on the app?