Hardware News

Introducing Sonos Move, Brilliant Sound Anywhere

Introducing Sonos Move, Brilliant Sound Anywhere

Show first post

237 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
How about a version without Alexa and Google.

I don’t mind using my phone and the great Sonos app if it knocked the price down a bit.😀

The SL One is only $20 cheaper than the One. Sonos places so little value on voice control I don't think it would drive the price down much, though I like where you are going with it.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I don’t mind using my phone and the great Sonos app if it knocked the price down a bit.😀
The SL One is only $20 cheaper than the One. Sonos places so little value on voice control I don't think it would drive the price down much, though I like where you are going with it.
So little value? Since the echo dot costs $50, often much less, it's really hard to charge much more for voice control no matter what value Sonos may think it is.

.... which is exactly my point. Taking voice control out of the Move isn't going to drop the price $100.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ryan, just some clarification then - Move doesn't use Sonosnet at all? For an existing setup running on Sonosnet, it has to connect to WiFi - but is then available for grouping etc.?
It needs to be in range of router/AP etc., not another Sonos device?

That's correct. Move is designed to be used in either a mixed Wifi and SonosNet mode, or on just Wifi. Functionality wise, it'll do everything you expect, just not on the SonosNet mesh.
I’m enjoying my move after a week but one of the main reasons I bought it for doesn’t seem to be working: the Move is not recognized by iPad Bluetooth. I use the new speaker with both WiFi for Sonos, and using Airplay for podcasts off my iPhone via Bluetooth, no problem. But, taking the Move inside or outside to chill and stream programs or live TV off my iPad, the Move does not show up as a device on the iPad. No amount of rebooting, restarting, or patience has changed the result.

Any ideas here?

Switch the move to Bluetooth mode by Short pressing the rear middle Button. Then long press the same button again till you hear a tone and the speaker goes into pairing mode.

Goto your iPad and open it’s settings and scroll to the Bluetooth settings and ensure it’s switched on and look for the Sonos Move in the list. It will show with the Sonos Room name and select it to pair with the speaker.

If it fails, remove it from the iPad Bluetooth list and try the pairing process again.

Hope that gets you up and running..
On the absense of sonosnet, it might be because the Move is designed to work with multiple wifi networks. It was discussed in another thread...the Move will store up to 16 SSIDs and passwords. Perhaps it cannot easily switch between wifi and sonosnet seemlessly as the device is moved around.

Not trying to minimize the case where wifi isn't available, just maybe helping answer the question of why?
Userlevel 5
Badge +8

On the absense of sonosnet, it might be because the Move is designed to work with multiple wifi networks. It was discussed in another thread...the Move will store up to 16 SSIDs and passwords. Perhaps it cannot easily switch between wifi and sonosnet seemlessly as the device is moved around.

Not trying to minimize the case where wifi isn't available, just maybe helping answer the question of why?

Thanks for the info. But why would it need to store 16 SSIDs? Do Sonos assume I might have 15 friends that use Sonos and require me to bring my speaker over to their house 🙂

Userlevel 4
Badge +9
I don't think this product will do well. Who is the audience? Diehard sonos fans? Your average Best Buy consumer won't buy it. Meanwhile no new Playbar...no modern audio codecs for home theater.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Moderator note: Off topic posts containing misinformation have been deleted. 

I think 5 years of support for a product after ‘date of last manufacture' is a good deal.. it does not mean that at at that point things stop working. It just means no more updates. I have several far more expensive TV’s that haven’t been updated in years and they are still working fine. I don’t see Sonos doing anything different in that respect.

I prefer to see a company like Sonos be innovative and be ahead of their game, rather than watch them standstill.

You either love technological challenges and advancement (modern), or you choose to live in the past (legacy) … I’m all for driving things forward, personally speaking.

That doesn't, however, connect the computer to the rest of the Sonos speaker system. It's in bluetooth mode, which means it's a single speaker.
It wasn't you that the post was "pointed" at. It was the larger population that reads these forums 🙂
I don't think this product will do well. Who is the audience? Diehard sonos fans? Your average Best Buy consumer won't buy it.

You can be absolutely certain Sonos knows exactly who will buy it, and has sales projections nailed down for the next 2-3 years, at a minimum. This isn't their first rodeo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +14
I always thought one reason not to have had a portable speaker was the effect of moving it about could have on the matrix etc.
It obviously took a long time to develop the Move and I had assumed this hurdle had been overcome (quicker 'live' re-config etc) and I'm sure this was tried but not stable enough.
I still think it's a big thing and that many users/regulars here had absolutely assumed it would operate the same as other speakers except when in Bluetooth mode.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Not using SonosNet makes it a non starter for me. I bought a Play 1 that I keep in a cupboard at home and get out when having a BBQ. Again way too expensive - tons of decent bluetooth portable speakers available around £200.

Amazing how Sonos seem so out of touch with their customer base regarding not having SonosNet.
Has there been any mention of delay when using Bluetooth?

Could I connect the Move to my iPad, via Bluetooth, then use it to play the audio of videos and games with no lag?

Good question. I feel pretty comfortable saying yes, as that would be a serious drawback, but Sonos should confirm that.
I really enjoy the Move since I purchased it on the 24 of September. I always wanted a speaker like that.

What is disappointing that the Move cannot be connected to the SonosNet. I’m using it in the backyard and the WiFi signal is not strong enough there. The SonosNet would be. Unfortunately the functionality using Bluetooth is reduced, no Trueplay neither the possibility to combine two Moves for stereo sound.
The reliability of the SonosNet used to be a big plus. Hope the function will be implemented in the future.

Frank

It cannot be implemented. On bootup of each unit, Sonosnet analyzes/changes the matrix for optimum performance and that analysis assumes the unit(s) are stationary. If the matrix then changes because the Move is . . . errm . . . moved, that analysis is useless and reliability is out the window. You might think they could analyze on the fly, but that would entail dropouts as the matrix is reconfigured.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

If it didn't have the microphones for voice control, it wouldn't be able to use Automatic Trueplay tuning. Definitely a feature worth the price of the microphones if you ask me.
If the mics shut off while on Bluetooth, does this mean Trueplay is not functional while on Bluetooth? If that is the case,do the Trueplay settings stay with the last settings or go back to a default?

If you turn off the microphone after Automatic Trueplay has done some tuning, the Trueplay settings will be remembered until the accelerometer detects that the unit has moved. When it moves, the audio profile will go back to the default tuning. Also, when you switch the unit off of WiFi and into Bluetooth mode, the tuning will be suspended until the unit goes back on WiFi. Bluetooth will always use the default tuning, unadjusted by Trueplay.

@KSavage072, when on the go in Bluetooth mode, Move operates as a solo unit, you can't stereo pair it or group it with other Sonos players. I'll make sure the team knows you're looking for this as a feature though.
Note that any Google or Amazon connections have to do with the Sonos software system, and not the individual speakers. So the addition of any new countries would not be tied to the release of new speakers. There may be coincidental changes, but they're not tied directly together.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
$400 for one Move seems a bit steep to me especially of you are only planning on using it in BT mode.

Hopefully Ikea will come out with there "LetsMove" version at $199 soon! 🙂
Userlevel 7
$400 for one Move seems a bit steep to me especially of you are only planning on using it in BT mode.

Hopefully Ikea will come out with there "LetsMove" version at $199 soon! :-)

Not $400 for one Move.😉 It's $400 upcharge for two Moves versus two Sonos One's. However, $400 for one Move that is battery powered with BT and has the same versatility as a Sonos One isn't out of line IMO. It's much harder to produce the same clarity and responsiveness with a battery powered speaker that rivals its electrically powered sibling or cousin ☺

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Sounds like a great addition to the Sonos lineup.

One question regarding bluetooth: Will the Move auto switch when Bluetooth audio starts playing or do i need to go and press the wifi/BT button to switch it over to BT Audio? Thanks!
I don’t think so. I would hope not. If that is the case someone who has already paired via BT with the Move could knock you off if you were listening to music over WiFi. If that is the case then I hope Sonos will address it as a counter intuitive feature IMO.

The purpose of the button is to toggle between the modes. You have to manually turn Bluetooth on for the Move to switch over, by pressing the button on it for a few seconds. The light will change to indicate that it's now in Bluetooth mode and not WiFi.

@Edward R

My question was valid, why did you delete it? 

And I am asking it again:

If I bought a Move, when would I expect you to no longer support it? A specific date would be nice, just as software (OS) or phone vendors do with their software. In light of recent events, it is a VALID question. 

Rather than punish your customers, it would be better to answer the question. 

I see @Ryan S actually answers your question here at the beginning of this thread…

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/end-of-software-support-clarifications-6835969

Hope that is what you were looking for.👍

Badge +3

Someone seems to be deleting posts

I posted about my very real issues with sonos treatment of my new Move purchase and the impact the End of Life has on my intended use of that product - and my post has disappeared

in summary they have in effect End of Lifed my new move and they refuse to reinstate the zp I traded in against the move despite the move being in the refund / change your mind period

Both your scenarios are the same: will it connect to Bluetooth. Yes.

There is a switch on the back which puts it in Bluetooth mode.

Any sound / music application that sends data via Bluetooth can be used. The Sonos at that point is a Bluetooth receiver, and has no idea what is sending the data.

Thanks for your reply Bruce - I guess my worry was the wording on the FAQ; "Once you have set up Move on your WiFi network, press the Bluetooth/WiFi mode button on the back of the speaker to switch to Bluetooth mode."

The first part just indicated to me it had to be setup on wifi first. But this would be crazy, so I'm sure you're right.

Does seem a tad expensive for what would seem to be a One with bluetooth though - appreciate there's more to it than that - although that is what I want!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
In Southern California I've certainly dealt with my share of adobe walls and wire mesh lined construction. Here's hoping you're pleasantly surprised 🙂