Hardware News

Introducing Sonos Move, Brilliant Sound Anywhere

Introducing Sonos Move, Brilliant Sound Anywhere

Show first post

237 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The USB-C on Port is used for charging the unit when you don't have access to the included power dock. It's not for only for wall use, but can also be used with a power bank.

Note:
The battery is rechargeable with an included indoor charging base or with any USB-C charger with the following output levels: 12V/3A, 15V/3A, or 20V/2.25A.

That includes a USB-C cable plugged into the wall.
So as I stated above, my Move arrived a day early. I really love it, and for reasons I wasn't expecting. It's not

Packaging is nice, same as you always get with Sonos. A rather nice bonus is the Move came wrapped in it's own drawstring back that you can just use. I absolutely love little things like this, and I probably would have ended up buying one if not included. Very nice touch.

The size is actually pretty nice. A little heavy, but not overburdening at all. I like the handle way better than I thought I would and you can tell there was a lot of thought into getting it right.

Setup was rather easy as expected. Same as any other Sonos speaker, except you're going to want to setup bluetooth as well.

When I start playing it at first, it sounded plenty powerful, but not great overall. But that's because auto trueplay wasn't done yet. By the end of the first song, it's sounds like it's tuned. This is a very nice feature, absolutely love it. I think Sonos picked the right product to introduce the feature, because you can move it from room to room and hear the it make adjustments and improve itself. Not just demonstrating it's ability, but fun to do, IMO.

Overall sound quality once tuned is really better than expected. It feels like a little better than play:3. It's not going to beat out a pair of Sonos Ones, but you get all the new features.

The wifi range is pretty strong. It could go further than my Galaxy 9 could. Bluetooth mode sound quality isn't quite as good but feels like it's mostly due to the lack of auto trueplay. It feels like it assumes you're going to use it outside and tunes to that expectation.

One little important feature when switching modes, it seems like it remembers the volume you had on wifi. So when you switch it to bluetooth, you're going to mess with the volume, probably louder. Going back to wifi, it seemed to go back to it's previous volume. Oh, and I really like that the wifi/BT button is slightly raised and a different shape then the other buttons. It makes it so you can switch by touch alone, blind.

Alexa works as expected. I didn't play with it too much, but don't expect any issues.

I'm not exactly sure where I'm going to use the Move yet, what rooms since I have Sonos everywhere already. I think the answer might be, all of them. I've tried it in the dining room, a bedroom, a bathroom, the garage, the patio, it works everywhere. It's got a slightly different sound to it. And I found that I like picking it up and carry it around with me. And I suddenly have the desire to go to the beach this weekend. The Move makes me want to move.

Overall, what stands out the most to me isn't that it sounds good, that it's got a battery...we've seen that with other speakers before. It's auto trueplay, that it gonna sound good where ever you place it.
Userlevel 7
@melvimbe

Congratulations. I get mine tomorrow! Yippee!
Userlevel 2

Hi @blkmg, our commitment is to support all of our products with software updates for a minimum of five years after we stop selling them, and we have a track record of supporting for longer. The Move is brand new, there’s no date that we have right now of when we’ll stop selling it. When that happens, you’ll have at least another five years after then.

Well, some products are still being sold, so that promise seems somewhat empty. 

https://www.johnlewis.com/sonos-connect-wireless-music-system/p230973910

We’re getting even more off topic… But, that’s the 2015 version of the Connect, which is not getting moved into legacy mode in May. Only the Connects manufactured before 2015 don’t have the hardware to keep up.

So its not 5 years after sonos stop selling it, its 5 years from when you bought it.  As next month's exact same brand and model may be improved e.g. more memory installed, and that's possibly not the version you bought.  As an added bonus you will recieve 3 months notice that youre audio investment is about to become non upgradable e-waste.

Hi
is Move available in white?
can it be stereo paired with another Move in Bluetooth mode?
thanks

The Product Page is up for the Move, and I think it answers these questions. No mention of any color but black.

The FAQ section states:
Can I stereo pair Move?
Yes. You can pair two Moves on WiFi for stereo sound.

You could conclude that stereo pairing isn't available for bluetooth.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Great news Sonos, definitely a speaker I was waiting for!
Badge
Perhaps I am in the minority, but all I asked sonos for was a play one that could be out in the direct weather elements for around $200. The price of this is audiophile territory which turns me off.

Anyone not sure about investing 400 on the new, portable and Bluetooth enabled Sonos Move; because I too cringed at the price, comparing other high quality units from industry leaders like Bose or Apple, and not seeing an equivalent value for the cost or considering the fact that I could, for the same money, buy 2 or 3 times the speaker other places for the same amount. Ultimately, though, these considerations didn’t help me make my decision to go with the Sonos Move any easier. In fact, I must confess that after receiving and experiencing my Move, the $400 investment is a bargain on a multitude of different levels. Sound quality is really an already known variable, so I won’t go there. This unit’s mobile ability allows you to take, share and experience any music at the highest possible quality anytime, anywhere! You'll be shocked to learn that most of your friends, family and acquaintances have never had the opportunity to enjoy music with such depth of superior sound. Also, the durability and build quality are first rate, preserving the longevity of this speaker while protecting everything you love from it for years to come. Another thing, and it may sound trivial to you now, but as far as Bluetooth speakers are concerned, Sonos stands alone, further ahead than any competition not only because of everything I mentioned already but also particularly  because of the “charging ring stand” included with the Move. The problem or shall I say inconvenience of charging Bluetooth speakers across the board is an annoying obstacle that I believe Sonos has provided the solution to in this amazing new tech. The idea of this ring, which is a sort of cradle the base fits into, becomes second nature instantly in ease. Moreover, the practicality if such an awesome concept allows you to almost forget about completely the hassles and nuances of finding a charging cord that fits, dealing with the newfound limited mobility of your plugged in speaker; or maybe you just have no options if stranded, making your Bluetooth speaker into a super sized paperweight while the music you were enjoying escapes into the ether, never to return! Well,  not until you get home. I’m not suggesting the Sonos Move will never die, but this whole ring base charging stand concept works in a way that easily keeps the speaker fully charged without even thinking about it. It is truly amazing! Finally, I’d like to speak to the idea that some believe is a negative attribute for the Sonos Move, and that is this notion that the Bluetooth doesn’t work making/answering  phone calls. Look and listen, this product has the blood sweat and tears of top musicians, engineers and masters to make it the best of the best in your experience of music and sound. This, I firmly believe, supersedes all else. Anyone can buy an echo dot or some other such thing to make or receive calls. Not everyone can produce the kind of magical sound, versatility or innovation coming out of the Sonos Move. Get one now! If you’re not satisfied, you can easily get close to what you paid on eBay; and in all actuality, within 30 days of purchase, this wonderful company will issue you a refund while amazing you with their five star service department! The Sonos Move is truly a sure bet, a win win! 

How about a version without Alexa and Google.

I don’t mind using my phone and the great Sonos app if it knocked the price down a bit.😀

Being that the price between the new Sonos One SL (no voice control ) and Sonos One (w/voice control) is $20, I don't think it would really knock the price of the Move down very much.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
How about a version without Alexa and Google.

I don’t mind using my phone and the great Sonos app if it knocked the price down a bit.😀

If it didn't have the microphones for voice control, it wouldn't be able to use Automatic Trueplay tuning. Definitely a feature worth the price of the microphones if you ask me.
Well, dang, that’s exactly right. A bit of a SMH moment ... but it worked. Thank you.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Ryan, just some clarification then - Move doesn't use Sonosnet at all? For an existing setup running on Sonosnet, it has to connect to WiFi - but is then available for grouping etc.?
It needs to be in range of router/AP etc., not another Sonos device?
That's correct. Move is designed to be used in either a mixed Wifi and SonosNet mode, or on just Wifi. Functionality wise, it'll do everything you expect, just not on the SonosNet mesh.

I really don't get why you have not used SonosNet, can this be changed in future in software if there is a demand for it?
Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Ryan, just some clarification then - Move doesn't use Sonosnet at all? For an existing setup running on Sonosnet, it has to connect to WiFi - but is then available for grouping etc.?
It needs to be in range of router/AP etc., not another Sonos device?
That's correct. Move is designed to be used in either a mixed Wifi and SonosNet mode, or on just Wifi. Functionality wise, it'll do everything you expect, just not on the SonosNet mesh.
I really don't get why you have not used SonosNet, can this be changed in future in software if there is a demand for it?

That really is disappointing. I was going to primarily use it in the garden (which is just out of WiFi range) using sonosnet from my kitchen speaker. That would make it seamless in terms of grouping all my speakers together.

I know you've confirmed it Ryan but do you not think that it's an odd decision?

Cheers
Userlevel 7
It wasn't you that the post was "pointed" at. It was the larger population that reads these forums :)
Sorry, my response was not intended to convey that I was in anyway offended. I was really agreeing. I just worded it incorrectly. 😉
Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Amazing how Sonos seem so out of touch with their customer base regarding not having SonosNet.

Reading Ryan's note it does sound like there were stability issues. If it was that easy, I'd like to think they'd incorporate it.

I think using a WiFi extender will sort the issue for me (it's all about me!)

Anyway, I was sold at "Shadow black" 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
So when can we expect the Sonos Move Mini to be released 😝
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Sound quality wise where does the move sit? Is it on a par with the one or better? Almost as good as a play5?What I've read around the net makes me think it will be atleast as good as the Sonos One or better. But it is going to be different since it's designed to sound better in an outdoor environment. I can't imagine it will sound as good as the play:5, given it's price.

In my opinion, it has deeper bass, wider range, and a much wider sound stage than the Sonos One. It gets louder, sounds better, and also is able to automatically tune itself using Trueplay while playing music. It doesn't have the same sound as a Play:5, but it definitely fits in the middle between the two.

In a way, this is a spiritual successor to the Play:3, aside from having Bluetooth, a battery, microphones, and only two amplifiers

When the Move is off the charging base can the speaker still operate in WiFi mode?

For example, if you were outside the house with WiFi coverage but wanted the speaker to use the battery for power.

I wasn’t sure if the speaker reverts to Bluetooth as soon as it is taken off the charger.

Thanks
This is actually one of the more advertised use cases, and one of the primary reasons it connects to wifi and not sonosnet. So yes, most definitely.

There's a button on the back of the unit that turns on the Bluetooth mode. Until that's pressed and held for a few seconds, the unit will operate as a wireless Sonos speaker. Removing it from the charging base won't change the mode its in, or what's playing.

Has there been any mention of delay when using Bluetooth?

Could I connect the Move to my iPad, via Bluetooth, then use it to play the audio of videos and games with no lag?
Good question. I feel pretty comfortable saying yes, as that would be a serious drawback, but Sonos should confirm that.

I'm happy to confirm that the Bluetooth doesn't have any noticeable latency. Playing the audio off of a phone/iPad to Move is one of the main purposes of the Bluetooth in the first place. It should work great.
Userlevel 7
Ordered mine today!!! Of you know I’ll give you my unbiased opinion after putting it through my tests. Just want to keep @Ryan S honest! 😁
Userlevel 3

@Edward R 

My question was valid, why did you delete it? 

And I am asking it again:

If I bought a Move, when would I expect you to no longer support it? A specific date would be nice, just as software (OS) or phone vendors do with their software. In light of recent events, it is a VALID question. 

Rather than punish your customers, it would be better to answer the question. 

Userlevel 1

I think 5 years of support for a product after ‘date of last manufacture' is a good deal.. it does not mean that at at that point things stop working. It just means no more updates. I have several far more expensive TV’s that haven’t been updated in years and they are still working fine. I don’t see Sonos doing anything different in that respect.

I prefer to see a company like Sonos be innovative and be ahead of their game, rather than watch them standstill.

You either love technological challenges and advancement (modern), or you choose to live in the past (legacy) … I’m all for driving things forward, personally speaking.

But Ken, it does mean my system, that I have been building over the years will eventually stop working. I’m no techie but people on here aren’t happy. Do you work for the Sonos PR department?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Until recently I might have been interested. I'm concerned that it will be nothing more than an expensive post apocalyptic garden ornament now 🙄

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Now, let’s try and keep this topic on point. If you have questions about the Move, feel free to ask, but legacy discussion should be kept in the places where it belongs. There’s no need to spam threads with the same messages, or add incorrect information to posts that are meant to be informative.

Badge +3

Ryan - i understand but it is important that potential Move purchasers understand the current position.

If I’d known 4 weeks ago what I know now I wouldn’t have purchased the Move

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Now, let’s try and keep this topic on point. If you have questions about the Move, feel free to ask, but legacy discussion should be kept in the places where it belongs. There’s no need to spam threads with the same messages, or add incorrect information to posts that are meant to be informative.

The legacy discussion applies to all products. Current and legacy. Sonos has made its bed, so it must lie in it. All products have an expiry date, but Sonos doesn't like to talk about that until they have taken your money. If buying anything from Sonos, customers must be made aware that they won't last within reasonable expectations.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Thanks!

We have thicker walls in the UK! I have a Unifi AC Pro which is next to an outside wall. Inside it's 800Mbps, in the garden on the other side of the wall it's 0. I will happily try the Move but I doubt it will work.
I'm in the U.K. also and in a double brick-built property with a Netgear central router, located nearer to the front of the house and the 'Move' speaker is working fine in the rear garden through one internal wall and one external double wall, at an estimated 40 feet away from the router, if that helps at all?

I just walked mine to the end of my garden approx 100 feet from the router and a few walls in between. It worked for a while before cutting but even that impressed me. I'm getting consistent connection though as above, with it staying connected at approx 40-50 feet way.

Cheers