Hardware News

Introducing Sonos Move, Brilliant Sound Anywhere

Introducing Sonos Move, Brilliant Sound Anywhere

Show first post

237 replies

Thanks. I got a Move today, £340 with eBay discount so couldn't resist. Not tried it in the garden yet though due to the rain.

Why is the plug so big, 7cm from the socket once plugged in!

You had a good buy there.

I agree the charger is quite big isn’t it. I put a double-plug in my power outlet and have the charger vertical, rather than horizontal, plus it leaves room for the socket to be used for something else.

I think I read that the speaker battery takes less than 1hr 30mins to charge to its full state and lasts 10 hours. So that sounds pretty good.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
@Ryan S - are there any accessories coming out? I need some sort of shelf/wall mount
Do we know if the power cable is rated for in-wall use? It's going depend on local codes, but i would think at 20V, that it would be.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Just took delivery of my Move and seem to have hit an immediate and obvious problem.  Why is the charging base, the charger socket and the cable all designed as one hard-wired unit?

I plan to use the Move in the Study, permanently sited on the charging base, and then move it into the garden etc as and when needed.  However, whilst situated in the Study, I cannot hide the cable through the desktop, as I do with other Sonos units, where the power cable can be disconnected from the device.  The charger power socket is so huge that it won’t fit through any cable openings in the desktop and certainly the charger base can’t do so either.

Whilst the USB-C charger connection on the back of the Move might get round the issue, it is nowhere near as elegant a solution as being able to drop the unit onto the charging base!  Am I missing something, but this seems to be so obvious and I personally do not want cables running across the desktop from power sockets which have been especially positioned so as to be out of sight?

I would be stunned if it was, Danny.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The charging loop dock that comes with the Move isn't designed to run the cable through the wall. As you said, in wall use is dependent on local codes, and it also would depend on the cable. I'm with Airgetlam, I'd be surprised if you find one that can. Also, the length would be a trick too. If you're wondering about mounting, it'd be best to run an outlet and connect the Move to that outside the wall.
The charging loop dock that comes with the Move isn't designed to run the cable through the wall. As you said, in wall use is dependent on local codes, and it also would depend on the cable. I'm with Airgetlam, I'd be surprised if you find one that can. Also, the length would be a trick too. If you're wondering about mounting, it'd be best to run an outlet and connect the Move to that outside the wall.

I wasn't thinking when I asked that question. It wouldn't be practical to pull the electrical plug or ring through a wall regardless. You're correct that you could definitely do a out let relocation to get it done. I use USB to Micro USB cables outside, rated for outdoor use and should be fine indoors as well. Haven't seen one that's USB-C though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Wondering about Move's durability? Check out our video, the breaking of Move and our blog post here as well:

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

I swapped a Sonos Move for my Play:5 using the trade-up scheme.  I love it, except for two things:

First, microphone sensitivity.  It sits on a shelf 6 feet behind me.  In order to get it to respond to voice commands, I have to turn round and raise my voice a lot to get it to respond.  And when I do so my echo dot 25 feet away in the other room thinks I’m talking to it

It’s even worse when there’s music playing.  I suppose that’s expected with the extra ambient sound emanating from the same device.

Any tips please?

Second, why can’t we use Alexa and Google Assistant at the same time?

Userlevel 7
If we are to read between the lines,,,which I know can be dangerous. Below is a FAQ on the Move copied from the Sonos website....

Question: Does automatic Trueplay work when Move is on Bluetooth?

Answer: Automatic Trueplay currently only works on WiFi.

All information today suggests that automatic Trueplay is not possible on the Move when in BT mode. Now, I'm not an editor of words by any stretch of the imagination. However use of the two words "currently only" (in the answer given to the question) might suggest that in a furure update auto-Truepaly; or at least the ability to use Trueplay when the Move is in BT mode may be forth coming. 😯

How do you guys interpret that statement. 🤔
AjTrek1,

I interpret the comment in the same way as you and that it’s perhaps a case of Sonos are looking into the possibility of the speaker being able to do the auto-TruePlay tuning in BT mode. I guess only time will tell.

I think Sonos may need to make the process easier for a user to add a new wifi network for the speaker to use when it’s in range. It is not yet as simple as I would like it to be.

By the way I understand some Samsung mobile devices can play to two Bluetooth speakers at the same time (S8/S9 mobiles, I think?) ... not stereo, but I believe both will play in sync and there’s rumour that iOS devices maybe able to also do this over BT at some point in the future.

I will just finish by saying that I really like the new ‘Move' speaker too by the way.
I would struggle with where the processing to do that 'non-connected' TruePlay is coming from. I suppose it's possible that there might be enough CPU on the speaker itself, but as I understand it, right now, the microphones are turned off in BT mode, perhaps for power saving, since BT would normally be off charger.

Of course, it's wise to never say never, given enough time, money, and thought, anything is possible 🙂