Hardware News

Introducing Sonos Move, Brilliant Sound Anywhere

Introducing Sonos Move, Brilliant Sound Anywhere

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

237 replies

Looks like the Move is exclusive to Sonos.com. Does anyone know why? When will it be in stores (besides Sonos.com) and on Amazon?
Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Can two of these be used in a surround configuration when on WiFi (I.e. like Sonos Ones)?Do you mean bonding it with a home theater Sonos speaker like a Beam? If so, no. Move is designed to be portable, and the portable nature of it makes more permanent pairing like as a home theater surround give a poor experience.

Yes that was exactly my question. Have some places where Sonos Ones are tough to permanently place. Would be cool to be able to bring these in when watching a movie or something. Running out of room to place Sonos speakers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Can two of these be used in a surround configuration when on WiFi (I.e. like Sonos Ones)?

Do you mean bonding it with a home theater Sonos speaker like a Beam? If so, no. Move is designed to be portable, and the portable nature of it makes more permanent pairing like as a home theater surround give a poor experience.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Can two of these be used in a surround configuration when on WiFi (like Sonos Ones can)?
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Great news Sonos, definitely a speaker I was waiting for!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for jumping in, melvimbe! Right on all counts.

If you have a stereo pair of Moves and you grab one to take on the go, when they get out of range of each other (or one goes into Bluetooth mode), the pair will separate until they're brought back together.
Hi

is Move available in white?

can it be stereo paired with another Move in Bluetooth mode?

thanks

The Product Page is up for the Move, and I think it answers these questions. No mention of any color but black.

The FAQ section states:

Can I stereo pair Move?

Yes. You can pair two Moves on WiFi for stereo sound.

You could conclude that stereo pairing isn't available for bluetooth.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
That’s my question too D)
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hi

is Move available in white?

can it be stereo paired with another Move in Bluetooth mode?

thanks
Finally! A rechargeable portable outdoor Sonos is available end of September.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi melvimbe, there will be more news on accessories in the future, none to share today.

When in Bluetooth mode, Move doesn't have the microphones active. The speaker won't be playing your phone call either, as it's not set up as a Bluetooth headset. That may be a feature to suggest to the team for the future though, they'd be interested in if there's enough demand for something like that. Move can get loud, with a wide sound stage, which may make taking calls on it pretty awkward.

What is Sonos recommendation on permanent placing the Move in an outdoor location?

While it's both durable and weather resistant, we wouldn't recommend permanently placing them outside. It's portable - designed to take where ever you go, but ultimately brought back home, so tying it down in the elements isn't quite recommended.
Awesome news Ryan!

I'm sure I will have more questions, but here's a few for now.

I noticed there aren't any accessories for the Move list on the site. Can we expect some to be posted soon? I'm thinking along the line of a carrying case or wall mounting options.

When in bluetooth mode, can the Move be used with phone calls? Can you use voice control through your phone in bluetooth mode? Since it is both a speaker and microphone array, seems like it would be possible, although I would not be surprised if the mic is just off in bluetooth mode.

What is Sonos recommendation on permanent placing the Move in an outdoor location?