Introducing Sonos Amp

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 11570 replies

Available starting February 2019, Sonos Amp is the all-new, versatile amplifier to power all your entertainment and bring the sonic content you love to every room of your home. The Amp has been redesigned with more than twice the power of the original Connect:Amp, with more versatility, and will enable new experiences through the platform.

Play your favorite streaming content on Sonos, connect to your TV through HDMI-ARC, or plug into any audio device, including a turntable to power your vinyl collection.

Sonos Amp will fit in any home environment, whether as a compact and elegant solution for in-rack AV installations, wall mounted, tucked under furniture, or on display in a room.

Details and Specs

Physical Specs Amp comes in Matte black with black and silver banana plugs all in a standard rack fit size. The dimensions are 8.54 x 8.54 x 2.52 in. (217 mm (w) x 217 mm (d) x 64 mm (h)) and it weighs 4.6 lbs. (2.1 kg). Custom banana plugs that accept 10 - 18 AWG speaker wire and the Class-D digital amplifier sends a maximum of 125W per channel at 8 Ohms.

The subwoofer output is auto-detecting RCA with adjustable crossover (50 to 110Hz).

Capable of using two line-in sources, analog RCA audio input, and HDMI-ARC inputs. Amp plays Dolby Digital 5.1 or PCM stereo sound over HDMI-ARC.

Versatile Design

Use Sonos Amp to power your installed speakers as a separate Sonos room, or bond it with a pair of Sonos Ones, Play:1s, Play:3s, or Play:5s to become a surround sound setup that you can use with your TV. You can also use Amp to add your speakers as rears to a Sonos home-theater setup (by wirelessly bonding an Amp with Beam, Playbar, or Playbase) or use two Sonos Amps (one for the front right and left channels, the other for the rear channels) for surround sound.

The Sonos Amp drives left and right speakers, and it will create a phantom center channel when sent discrete audio for that channel.

Sonos Amp has all the features of Sonos in a powerful package:
  • Sonos supports over 100 services. Choose the ones you want and listen to music, podcasts, radio, and audiobooks. You can also play all the music stored on your computer or other devices.
  • Sonos has built a software platform that enables hundreds of partners and gives our customers unparalleled freedom of choice. Amp features AirPlay 2, access to home automation partners, and voice control when wirelessly connected with Amazon Echo or Alexa-enabled devices, including Sonos One and Beam.
  • Use the Sonos app on your phone or tablet, your TV remote, keypads, AirPlay 2, or your voice with Amazon Echo and Alexa-enabled devices.
  • New APIs and deeper integrations with our platform partners let you create seamless smart home control.
  • Sonos is a system. Start with Amp and expand into more rooms with additional speakers through WiFi.
  • Sonos regularly updates with new features, voice services, and API integrations, so your options are always up to date and improving.

Availability

General availability on February 5, 2019 for $599 USD (£599 GBP, €699 EUR). Early access for installed solutions professionals on December 1 in the United States and Canada. Sign up to be notified of availability on Sonos.com.

For more details, check out our blog post on the Sonos Amp here.

359 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Can it be bonded with a Sonos sub? I see that you can connect a non-Sonos sub, but haven't seen anything about the normal bonding of a Sonos sub.
Yes. The Sub can be bonded with all amplified Sonos players, including the Amp.

For HT, Is there an option to have passive speakers as the front speakers and then bond with 2 Sonos speakers as rear sounds? Is the opposite setup also true (Sonos speakers in the front, passive in the back)?
Yes, and yes, assuming you're powering those passive speakers with a Sonos Amp.

Is it possible to create a 4.1 setup using only Sonos speakers. Say play:5s in the front, play:1s in the back, and a Sonos sub? Would you possibly need 2 Amps to get that done? (I know you, you're not using the Amp at all in this configuration)
To make a surround sound setup for Sonos, you need to start with a home theater speaker (Sonos Beam, Playbar, Playbase, and now Amp). You can add to that any of the ones that can be used as surrounds (One, Play:1, Play:3, Play:5 gen2, Connect:Amp, and now Amp). The Amp can be stereo front channels and or stereo rear channels. Also, it's worth noting that center channel audio that is sent to the Amp is going to be split by left and right sides to give you a simulated center channel.

For any configuration where you use 2 Amps, or the Amp + Beam/Playbar/Playbase...will you be able to use 2 Subs, either Sonos or non-Sonos?
The Sub can only be bonded to a single Sonos room. A single Amp or a pair of them will count as a single Sonos room, so you can't bond multiple Sonos Subs to it. If you're using a single Amp, you can bond a Sonos Sub with it, and use the subwoofer output to connect a non-Sonos subwoofer as well. I believe they'll both use the same crossover frequency settings. A Sonos Amp that is being used as the rear speakers for a home theater setup (with any Sonos player) has the subwoofer output disabled.

Will you be able to set it so the RCA line in and/or the HDMI/ARC input will automatically switch to that source?
Yes. The HDMI-ARC will take priority, but I believe it can swap between them.

Will it come with an optical adapter as the Beam does?
It does not, but they are available to purchase from our shop if you need one.

Will there be an option to turn off the simulated center channel when using HDMI-ARC as input?
If your source audio is stereo, you'll get stereo :)

Hi Sonos team - Product looks amazing and may be a perfect fit for a setup I'm doing. We are doing only three front speakers for a TV (no surround). Would the new amp be able to channel center-left-right? Thanks!
Kind of answered above as well. The Amp has left and right channels to power speakers. You could connect up the right and left speakers and it'll simulate that center channel when you're getting an audio source that has dedicated center channel audio.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks Ryan. That's a bummer. Hopefully some of these features can be added with software enhancements. Even some of the larger in ceiling or outdoor speakers I use don't have built in crossovers so the EQ setting is critical. Dropping the bass tends to pull out too much mid bass.

The only other thing I would consider for pro audio setups would be dedicated hard-wired remote that works on the Sonosnet. I usually put the Lutron Pico audio remotes in when working with Sonos amps or Connects but there is a bit of lag that users find annoying.

Even better. Make a 12 channel rack version of this amp with custom zone controls 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge
While not interested in the Amp, hopefully this means a new Connect sometime in 2019/2020.
If the Beam could support Atmos via eARC, could there be a route to using one or two of these with some in-ceiling speakers to create a 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 setup?
With eARC coming to TV's in 2019, I’m thinking we may see a new gen2 PlayBar aswell ... below is a comparison between Optical/ARC/eARC... I think it could even just be a firmware update for the Beam and the new Amp due in February, but I’m not too sure?

Anyhow this chart is worth a glance, I think, as it shows what might be coming down the line for TV surround sound:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
According to Engadget.com, it is today.
Yes. One can place pre-orders on the UK site today, delivery by 12th Feb.
https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/amp.html
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
How many Proficient C625TT 75W, 8 Ohm speakers can I run off one of the new amps please, currently frustrated with the limit of 4 off my current Connects
The Amp has 125W per channel at 8 Ohm. When you attach two pairs of 8 Ohm of speakers to it, you'll now be functionally at 4 Ohm, which we wouldn't recommend exceeding. At that rating, you will be getting more power to your speakers than the Connect:Amp would drive, but we wouldn't recommend adding extra pairs on top.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@GuitarSuperstar, that shouldn't be a problem. The Amp won't be damaged by not outputting to one of the channels. The setting is the same, "dual-mono", as that just applies to the audio output, and doesn't necessarily know what's connected to either port.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@sonossea, I'm happy to confirm officially for you what the others have said. The Sonos Amp does not have microphones built in. Because the unit was designed with home installations in mind, the idea that you might have several of them in a rack hiding somewhere in a closet made putting microphones in there a little unnecessary and counter-intuitive. There will be plenty of other installations where the microphones would have made sense, but we opted for keeping it simple. You can always add voice control to the room by using a pair of Sonos Ones as the surrounds, or by bringing an Amazon Echo device to the room.

Also, I understand the concern for privacy, but if it helps ease your mind, the Sonos players that do have voice control start with the microphones disabled. The only way to enable them is to go through the password protected settings to add voice services. Then, the microphones will be enabled, but you can always press the microphone symbol on the speaker with microphones to have them stop listening. You'll always know when the microphones are on as the LED linked with the microphone button is hardware connected with the microphones. They can't get power without the LED getting power.
Userlevel 1
Badge
This looks like a great update. Thanks for integrating a lot of the community feedback.

I have two questions for pro-audio setups:

1. I see you can do some bonding with other speakers for a home theater setup but for whole-house audio, can you bond two amps together as a single zone with locked volume (set prior to bonding)? This is one of the reasons I've not been able to use Sonos amps for large room installs with more than 4 speakers. Having to manually group 4 living room zones is not an option for rich people.

2. Are you going to enhance the EQ features in the app? I'd like to see a full range eq slider but at least 5 or so frequencies would be a start. High/Low filters?

I love the rack integration features and no wifi setting! Many of the installs I do for high-end home audio require some EQ tuning for ceiling speakers and the bass/treble slider is not enough. I would suggest taking a look at Audio Authority's old ADX 16-16 software and check out their zone settings with EQ presets and filters. It's what I use at home with Connects and Dayton amps to resolve these issues.

Love what I'm seeing so far. The hardware looks fantastic.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
. . .
The Sonos Amp also has the option to play mono, so you could have the same audio playing out of all of the speakers connected with it. . . .

This is a great addition that has been long requested for in-ceiling speakers when you want ambient music. Any chance of the mono feature trickling down to Connect:Amps?

Good question, I believe it's only a setting for the Amp, but I'll reach out to the team and request if it's possible for the Connect:Amp to get it too. I can't speak to if it can handle that task.

Could I use this product to drive 4 in-ceiling speakers, that are all in separate rooms, and then have them each identified separately for Airplay 2 purposes?

ie, "Hey Siri, play top hits in the Bedroom.", and then "Hey Siri, play smooth jazz in the living room." And have up to 4 separate streams playing?

Each Sonos Amp (or any other Sonos player) only exists in the system as a single room. If you have one speaker or eight speakers connected to a Sonos Amp, it will still only exist as a single Sonos room, and can only play a single stream at one time. if you wanted to be able to play 4 separate streams, you'll need 4 different Sonos devices.
caesartheape,

It’s not mentioned in the Amp documentation, but I think the Amp will take whatever manual crossover setting you’ve set on the attached Sonos sub and play everything equal and below that frequency to the sub and everything above that frequency to the main speakers. I can’t imagine for one moment it will do both, nor have I seen any such setting to allow that.

You would just disconnect the sub to get the full range playing to the speakers.

I presume the auto default crossover setting for the sub will be 80hz if you choose not to override the setting yourself.

Note the RCA port on the Amp, when a third party sub is used, also automatically sets the crossover frequency too when the port is in use and there is advice in the documentation to remove the actual cable connection from the port when a third party sub is disconnected. That in itself suggests the speakers will only play frequencies above the crossover level.

Hope that helps ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ken, I'm pretty sure you're mad. But yes, the logic checks out and it should work assuming speaker requirements and all checkout.
Userlevel 2
Badge +8
I have my tv connected to the current amp - will the new amp solve these two issues: 1) tv sound disappearing when movie is very silent, 2) not always 100 pct lip sync. If so I am buying!
Yes, and yes. The Amp would be best to connect to your TV with the HDMI-ARC input which is designed for TV connections, and even has CEC for controls to be sent to the TV like the Beam does.

Will it work with phono cables (no going silent an no lip sync problem) - my setup is very 'integrated' so getting a hdmi cable installed is not so easy... 🙂
Badge
When can we buy this in Europe/denmark? It is February now 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Yes. One can place pre-orders on the UK site today, delivery by 12th Feb.
https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/amp.html

Also available for pre-order from Richer Sounds in UK - general release on 12 Feb
https://www.richersounds.com/sonos-amp-black.html
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Would my planned setup work with the amp?
Thank you.

No problems with that setup.
hey guys, been through the thread, but just wanted to check something as I've found the discussion a little confusing (sorry).

I have an amp on pre-order and wanted to check I'm ready to go with a surround setup when it arrives - or whether I'm missing something.

I've got a TV with HDMI-ARC that I'm going to feed into the amp. I've got a couple of non-sonos speakers that I'm going to hook up to the amp, I'd like to use these as front L/R and phantom.

I then want to use two play:1 speakers as rear left and right. I can't run wires to these so they need to be wireless.

I currently don't have a sub.

Would my planned setup work with the amp?

Thank you.
Yes, the new Amp will work fine with two passive front speakers and the two Play:1 (wireless) rear speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Will it work with phono cables (no going silent an no lip sync problem) - my setup is very 'integrated' so getting a hdmi cable installed is not so easy... :)
The Analog RCA audio inputs are going to have the same behavior as other players with it, like the Connect:amp. They have autoplay as well, but the Analog is handled differently from the HDMI-ARC and could have a noticeable lip sync delay. Neither input should get turned off if you’re using Autoplay unless your source is very quiet for a long time, and even there, it should automatically turn back on. I’d suggest seeing if it’s at all possible to get the HDMI-ARC run so that you can get the best experience.

What about voice control?
Any plans to enable the mics in Sonos One’s when used as rears?

The mics on a pair of Sonos Ones are only disabled when bonded as surrounds with a Beam. They are fully up and running when voice is enabled and they’re being used with a Playbar, Playbase, or Sonos Amp. The Amp also has CEC over HDMI-ARC, the same as the Beam. So you’d be able to use voice control with your TV too, assuming it’s compatible.

Will the new Sonos Amp have Speech Enhancement and Night Sound modes? I like the idea of using big high end floorstanding speakers plus maybe a sub for a 2.0 or 2.1 system with TV (I don't need surround sound) to give bigger sound than a Beam or Playbar could. Also when using the Sonos Amp in a 2.0 or 2.1 set up will the phantom centre channel kick in when it receives a DD signal or do you need to have surround speakers before the phantom centre kicks in? Many thanks :)
The Speech Enhancement and Night Sound modes are functions of our TV input, and are available on all players that have it, including the new Amp. And, yes. The Amp will always try to make the fullest soundstage, with surrounds or not.

My main player is a Nvidia Shield TV. Using Plex, if I set the Shield to decode a codec not supported by the Sonos AMP (e.g. DTS-HD), the playback should be more or less the same as bitstreaming to a receiver that supports DTS-HD, correct? Since it is also passing through the TV via ARC, does it matter what codecs the TV supports? Thanks.
Over HDMI-ARC, the Amp should be asking the TV for Dolby Digital 5.1, so assuming the TV can convert the signal into that format, that’s what you’ll get. Otherwise, you may need to set Plex and or the Shield to output Dolby Digital.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If I use the new Amp for the front channels could I use one of the older Amps, 100 or 120, for the back channels?
Yes, but you'll need to wire them both into the network. The Connect:Amp doesn't have the 5GHz required for a surround sound setup.

Any chance of supporting a dedicated center channel with a Play1 or Play3 or Play5?
I can't speak to the possibility, but I'll certainly pass along your interest to the team. The phantom center channel that is created by the right and left channels is pretty impressive. But you'll have to hear it for yourself to see what you think.
Badge
Is it possible to use the new sonos amp with the sonos beam?
I mean a true 5.1 setup - no channel simulation! Especially question 4) is important:

1) a) Front left & right with wired third party speaker
1) b) Front left & right with 2 sonos one / play 5
2) Back left & right with 2 sonos one
3) Adding a sonos sub
4) Sonos Beam as a center - instead of simulated stereo
5) using Alexa with connected sonos beam/sonos one
6) only one group should be set in the room to get real 5.1
Great sounding and looking product. However, the elephant in the room has been completely ignored in this thread, so I’d like to introduce it. :D

Being a new product and obviously an upgrade from the Connect: Amp, has the amount of local library track limit been addressed? I’m hopeful I just missed it. Again I get it with legacy devices not having enough space, but there is no reason the software can’t work that out between new and old gear.
I would be very surprised if it changed, since the software is designed to work ( in most part) on all devices, not any one singly. If they were to address that issue, I’d be willing to bet that it would require a major rewrite of the way the code base works. Not out of the realm of possibility, mind you, just unlikely, I think.
Great sounding and looking product. However, the elephant in the room has been completely ignored in this thread, so I’d like to introduce it. :D

Being a new product and obviously an upgrade from the Connect: Amp, has the amount of local library track limit been addressed? I’m hopeful I just missed it. Again I get it with legacy devices not having enough space, but there is no reason the software can’t work that out between new and old gear.

If Sonos can select which devices can perform an incremental re-index vs. full re-index it is not a stretch to think they could designate certain players to hold an extended index vs. a truncated one.

Also the fact that they are once again extending an effort to support professional integrators even though they represent a small percentage of sales suggests it is at least possible they could show some love for local library music collectors for the 10% or so who still listen that way. Maybe there is interest to include as many listening requirements as possible now and not just cater to the narrow feature set that represents the statistical majority. Time will tell.

I can report that I'm hearing no difference in tonality of the Sonos Amp versus the Connect:Amp. Note that I'm not using a subwoofer in either case, however. Certainly no hint of it being 'bright'.

That is what I would expect from a company of Sonos caliber.
I too read some reviews that spoke about sound changes when using a Sonos Amp, but I passed those off as the usual reviewer thing of finding something to say when there actually is little to say, as there ought to be for a product that only does what a Connect Amp does other than providing more signal gain. Since my Connect Amps have adequate grunt to drive my speakers/sound level needs, I see no reason to try the Sonos Amp when it becomes available, and will not be able to say anything from actual use of one, but I see no reason to so test the above quote. From the published spec, it seems like this is another fine product from Sonos. And the "digital" amp thing is a red herring; there is no reason why these cannot be engineered to have no sound signature other than gain.