Introducing Sonos Amp

Related products: Hardware News

Available starting February 2019, Sonos Amp is the all-new, versatile amplifier to power all your entertainment and bring the sonic content you love to every room of your home. The Amp has been redesigned with more than twice the power of the original Connect:Amp, with more versatility, and will enable new experiences through the platform.

Play your favorite streaming content on Sonos, connect to your TV through HDMI-ARC, or plug into any audio device, including a turntable to power your vinyl collection.

Sonos Amp will fit in any home environment, whether as a compact and elegant solution for in-rack AV installations, wall mounted, tucked under furniture, or on display in a room.

Details and Specs

Physical Specs Amp comes in Matte black with black and silver banana plugs all in a standard rack fit size. The dimensions are 8.54 x 8.54 x 2.52 in. (217 mm (w) x 217 mm (d) x 64 mm (h)) and it weighs 4.6 lbs. (2.1 kg). Custom banana plugs that accept 10 - 18 AWG speaker wire and the Class-D digital amplifier sends a maximum of 125W per channel at 8 Ohms.

The subwoofer output is auto-detecting RCA with adjustable crossover (50 to 110Hz).

Capable of using two line-in sources, analog RCA audio input, and HDMI-ARC inputs. Amp plays Dolby Digital 5.1 or PCM stereo sound over HDMI-ARC.

Versatile Design

Use Sonos Amp to power your installed speakers as a separate Sonos room, or bond it with a pair of Sonos Ones, Play:1s, Play:3s, or Play:5s to become a surround sound setup that you can use with your TV. You can also use Amp to add your speakers as rears to a Sonos home-theater setup (by wirelessly bonding an Amp with Beam, Playbar, or Playbase) or use two Sonos Amps (one for the front right and left channels, the other for the rear channels) for surround sound.

The Sonos Amp drives left and right speakers, and it will create a phantom center channel when sent discrete audio for that channel.

Sonos Amp has all the features of Sonos in a powerful package:

• Sonos supports over 100 services. Choose the ones you want and listen to music, podcasts, radio, and audiobooks. You can also play all the music stored on your computer or other devices.
  • Sonos has built a software platform that enables hundreds of partners and gives our customers unparalleled freedom of choice. Amp features AirPlay 2, access to home automation partners, and voice control when wirelessly connected with Amazon Echo or Alexa-enabled devices, including Sonos One and Beam.
  • Use the Sonos app on your phone or tablet, your TV remote, keypads, AirPlay 2, or your voice with Amazon Echo and Alexa-enabled devices.
  • New APIs and deeper integrations with our platform partners let you create seamless smart home control.
  • Sonos is a system. Start with Amp and expand into more rooms with additional speakers through WiFi.
  • Sonos regularly updates with new features, voice services, and API integrations, so your options are always up to date and improving.

Availability

General availability on February 5, 2019 for $599 USD (£599 GBP, €699 EUR). Early access for installed solutions professionals on December 1 in the United States and Canada. Sign up to be notified of availability on Sonos.com.

For more details, check out our blog post on the Sonos Amp here.

They are Sonos speakers, so I'm sure that they match since Sonos sold them together.
Sonos doesn't make outdoor speakers. Perhaps they're Sonance speakers? Sonos does sell that company's speakers on the Sonos website. Which model do you have?
Whether Sonos makes speakers or not isn't the point. Sonos does sell external speakers on their web site and they specifically state that they are intended to be used with the Sonos Amp. I purchased the Amp and Speakers from Sonos only to find out that Sonos knows that the sound is deliberately muted until the slide adjustment reaches approximately 80%. If you read the response from Sonos Support, you would have understood this. If Sonos speakers are not compatible with the Sonos Amp, they shouldn't sell them.
Do you have the in-wall, in-ceilling, or outdoor speakers? Also, how many of them are connected to one Amp?

Have you gone into the settings and identified the speakers too? This is in Room Settings as well.
Whether Sonos makes speakers or not isn't the point. Sonos does sell external speakers on their web site and they specifically state that they are intended to be used with the Sonos Amp. I purchased the Amp and Speakers from Sonos only to find out that Sonos knows that the sound is deliberately muted until the slide adjustment reaches approximately 80%. If you read the response from Sonos Support, you would have understood this. If Sonos speakers are not compatible with the Sonos Amp, they shouldn't sell them.

Where do you have the speakers setup outside? How close is the listening area to the speakers themselves? It's possible that the distance is greater than normal and thus the volume cover would sound much better if you were closer to the speaker. I'm not saying that's ideal, just trying to explain why you're seeing the result you see. If you used other speakers/amps with this setup and got better results?

Also, what's the distance between the amp and the speakers and what gauge of speaker wire are you using? Longer runs should use a better gauge of wire? Have you checked the wiring to make sure the speaker and amps are making a good connection?

BTW, I am using 4 outdoor speakers (Polk) with a Sonos Amp. I hear volume at lower levels, but is very faint till about 50%. That would be lowered if I used the speakers indoors. I'm not at all disappointed by this as it's pretty standard to other speakers and amps I've used.

They deliberately designed the app not to emit any volume until the slider reaches about 80%.

This is just you saying this. No one that uses the amp has reported this here till you have turned up with this unbelievable claim.
If you read the response from Sonos Support, you would have understood this.

Post a screenshot that identifies the sender.
Looking for some help and guidance.I have 4 of these speakers -link below and their details.. Currently I have them connected to 1 sonos amp. If i purchase another amp and split them between the 4 speakers- 2 speakers per amp- will the sound be louder? Again I am a noob!!!

https://www.av-iq.com/avcat/ctl1642/index.cfm?manufacturer=snap-av&product=es-ls-sat-6-brn

• Impedance : 8 ohm

• Sensitivity : 86.50 dB

• Power Handling : 120 Watt

• Product Weight : 6.70 lbs

• 70V Taps : 3.75,7.5,15,30 Watt

• 100V Taps : 7.5,15,30 Watt

• Color : Dark Brown

• Warranty (Length/Type) : Lifetime Limited

• Construction : Perforated ABS

• Minimum Frequency Response (Bandwidth) : 105 Hz

• Minimum Frequency Response (Bandwidth) : 0.11 kHz

• Maximum Frequency Response (Bandwidth) : 19000 Hz

• Maximum Frequency Response (Bandwidth) : 19 kHz

This one I've had for a while in Norway bought from https://www.elkjop.no/brand/Sonosjuul

Can recommend, works for good wile now

You swapped a digital amp for a digital amp abiet with more power.

So the online reviews and others comments on the same issue are all hearing things? Could this amp not have default settings of some sort that are boosting the high end too much?

In the Sonos App settings for the Amp, you can control the source level, from Level 1 (Low) to Level 10 (High). The default is 2, and it’s pretty low.

For line-in you really want Level 8 at least

I would stop investing in SONOS if I were you. The new obsolescence policy just announced means you’ll have to repurchase all your kit every few years when they make it obsolete and stop updates to “legacy” products.

If you don’t and continue to use it linked to the newer SONOS products you have, nothing can be updated and it’ll all gradually stop working as bugs start creeping in.

A *** obsolescence program/plan that makes investing in SONOS a waste of money.

Moderator Note*

Removed the foul language.  

It’s a pity that the pricey Sonos Amp is not supplied with a HMDI to SPDIF connector. You need to buy this separate.

A bit weird, because the affordable Sonos Beam has one in the box, together with a HDMI cable.

Thanks for updating us.

For projector owners - can the Sonos Amp be in the rear (powering 2 passive speakers and sub) with the HDMI plug from the source coming into the Sonos Amp.

Then .. A playbar/beam as the front 3 speakers. No HDMI connected up front to the Beam.

Ok got it 

will keep it in mind

Thank you