Introducing Sonos Amp

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

364 replies

Does this support any Hi-Res?

What is the power rating into 4 ohm?
Very Interesting & generally positive review of the Sonos AMP - https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/sonos-amp

I'm a long time SONOS user (10 zones over two houses), and am considering using the new AMP with Sky Q & HDMI to TV...

Reading various posts, there looks to be potential issues with Lip Sync, and this is even mentioned in the WhatHiFi review which was a SONOS led demo session. Quote "It’s going to be interesting to put this ‘phantom centre’ approach to further testing, and also find out if we experience the lip-sync issue that was evident in this demo, which Sonos assures us was down to the somewhat convoluted setup for the demo and won't be an issue with review samples or purchased Amps"

Can SONOS comment on this?
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
So if I have a 5.1 set up playbase,sub and 2 play ones from what I understand this will not be any use to me for watching tv.
Thank you
I understand that things are a little different in Europe, but in the US lip-sync is a game of chance. There can be lip-sync issues with the cable box directly connected to a TV and these issues can change from channel to channel and program to program. Yes, AMP does insert a short latency, but this is usually constructive, at least in the US. AMP can insert additional delay if necessary. Unfortunately, I have encountered a few situations where video leads audio. No amount of audio delay can fix this.
Badge
Just my two cents on the lip-sync issue: received my Amp this Monday and have had absolutely no lip sync problems. No need even to adjust the audio delay, everything's working perfectly straight out of the box. My setup: Apple TV 4K -> LG B8 TV -> HDMI ARC to Sonos Amp -> passive speakers (Penaudio Rebel2).
Badge
same as @nefastos. no problems out of the box.

another question from me.

night mode is very handy - we live in a victorian terrace, bass is fine but when it starts getting late, it's considerate to turn down the bass for the neighbours.

any way or any plans by sonos to be able to configure this on a schedule? I'm fine with activating manually, but my wife doesn't like learning tech or messing about with settings, she just wants to use the tv remote, and THAT'S IT 😃
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Aesthetics question: will the Amp be released in white and if so when?
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I would be very surprised if it changed, since the software is designed to work ( in most part) on all devices, not any one singly. If they were to address that issue, I’d be willing to bet that it would require a major rewrite of the way the code base works. Not out of the realm of possibility, mind you, just unlikely, I think.

I hope an employee will respond, that said I think you are right.

I also wonder about room tuning. New hardware, are we going to see trueplay on this ? I don't see it mentioned in the announcement so I'm guessing no
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We haven't shared any plans for a white Amp at this time. The Amp was designed to seamlessly fit with other TV accessories and audio rack equipment, which usually are black. I'll let the team know you're interested in the future.

The Amp has 125W per channel at 8 Ohm.

How much does it do into 4 ohms? Does it do double as the Connect Amp does?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
We haven't shared any plans for a white Amp at this time. The Amp was designed to seamlessly fit with other TV accessories and audio rack equipment, which usually are black. I'll let the team know you're interested in the future.

Sure, but you do a white Beam, a white Base, a white Sub and white architectural speakers, and white Play 1s (the go to surround partners) so isn’t a white Amp kind of obvious?
Great sounding and looking product. However, the elephant in the room has been completely ignored in this thread, so I’d like to introduce it. :D

Being a new product and obviously an upgrade from the Connect: Amp, has the amount of local library track limit been addressed? I’m hopeful I just missed it. Again I get it with legacy devices not having enough space, but there is no reason the software can’t work that out between new and old gear.

I've been hoping for something similar myself. Now that Sonos are gradually introducing new features that are only available on new models due to hardware limitations (AirPlay 2 being a good example) then you'd hope a larger index capacity was in the pipeline? Fingers crossed....
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Got the new amp this week. I have to say, I am a little disappointed with the sound. It sounds quite harsh and thin, compared with my old amp (which was nothing special, cost £200)

I've dialled down the treble by a third and increase the bass a notch. This has improved it but it still sounds a bit thin, lacking warmth. I've never messed with eq settings before and having the treble dialled down by a third just seems wrong.

A Google search reveals several reviews commenting on this same issue and a few threads on here as well (one even on about ear pain due to the sound)

Would anyone like to comment or share their thoughts on this? Is it possible sonos have messed up the settings and this can be fixed with a firmware update? I'm no audiophile, I actually have always believed that amps don't make much difference, it is down to the speakers and speaker placement. But this sonos amp sounds worse than my old connect amp or my old connect plugged into cheap amp.

Are my speakers okay - dali zensor 3's. They sounded great with cheap amp and connect. And great with connect amp.

If I was alone in this, I'd ignore it and think I was wrong but the fact other users and professional review sites comment on it makes me think there is a real issue here.

Thanks.

I've been hoping for something similar myself. Now that Sonos are gradually introducing new features that are only available on new models due to hardware limitations (AirPlay 2 being a good example) then you'd hope a larger index capacity was in the pipeline? Fingers crossed....

Given that 90% or more customers now stream vs bothering with local files, and that among those who still put up with the hassle of local files, perhaps 1% exceed the 65K limit, I doubt it's high on the priorities list.
I actually have always believed that amps don't make much difference, it is down to the speakers and speaker placement. But this sonos amp sounds worse than my old connect amp or my old connect plugged into cheap amp.

Are my speakers okay - dali zensor 3's. They sounded great with cheap amp and connect. And great with connect amp.

You are quite right in that solid state amps of modern design that are well made - and this isn't rocket science any more, how to make these - don't make a difference.

And there is nothing wrong with your speakers, dali makes very good ones.

So if a drop in replacement to a Connect Amp is giving these results, it is very surprising and something that Sonos should respond to you directly/here.
Badge +18
Got the new amp this week. I have to say, I am a little disappointed with the sound. It sounds quite harsh and thin, compared with my old amp (which was nothing special, cost £200)

Different technologies used between the two, one sound fantastic on initial listening, the other cost £200!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
How do you recommend Sonos pick the songs to be dropped from the index on older devices?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
If a drop in replacement to a Connect Amp is giving these results, it is very surprising and something that Sonos should respond to you directly/here.
I agree. I replaced a Connect:Amp with a new Amp yesterday, driving a pair of Q Acoustics 3050 floorstanders. The new Amp sounds just as good as the old, and with more power obviously in reserve (in fact, the new Amp is over-specified for these speakers).

So, something is not right. I assume there’s no chance the speakers are mistakenly connected in opposite phase?
How do you recommend Sonos pick the songs to be dropped from the index on older devices?

As the music database grows each device fills its database to max capacity... while some have to stop at 64K others keep growing. If a newer Sonos device is online any controller will look to it for the index and all songs will show. If only older Sonos devices are online you will only see what was added up to the point that they reached their max capacity. If earlier songs are deleted leaving gaps in the older device data bases a re-index while a newer device is online will reorganize things so the smaller capacity devices are utilized to their maximum ability.
Badge +18
You swapped a digital amp for a digital amp abiet with more power.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
How would that work if the new music that pushes past the limit is found earlier in the indexing process? Sonos is low on space now (the root of the problem) so finding space to track what is old versus new is just going to deplete the available space sooner.

I can't see any likely good solution, the best I can see is to start the index and run it until the device is full, skipping any songs that fall later in the indexing process. I don't know the internals of the index process so I can't guess which songs would fall off the end. If the scanning is done in something like file-system directory/file order that would be a nightmare to manage.

An alpha sort of directories before indexing would at least give you the option to stick the stuff you want dropped in a ZZZ subdirectory, space again is an issue with the extra sort operation.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
You swapped a digital amp for a digital amp abiet with more power.

So the online reviews and others comments on the same issue are all hearing things? Could this amp not have default settings of some sort that are boosting the high end too much?
That's exactly it, Stanley. By indexing, you get a note (and know) the older devices won't hold the music. It is software... it is intelligent enough to pop up in the display that a song can't be played in 'kitchen' because it is older but the song is available in the newer 'living room' device. That alone would make me want to upgrade.
My experience has been that AMP sounds better (to me) than CONNECT:AMP. I have seen a few reports of disappointing initial results from AMP that were resolved after rebooting. Make sure that the speakers are wired in phase. In my opinion it is too easy to connect the speakers out of phase.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Where would the note come from? The indexing is done on the devices not the controller and some of them are already out of room without trying to hold a new and old copy of the list to identify old or new music.

Even with the new Sonos tweak to force the indexing process to newer devices if present I don't see room for the two lists there either.

Are you thinking the controller could query the device it is connected with to see if a song is in the index there and if it is not then search for a newer Sonos device with more memory and a longer list to see if the song is there and then pop up the note?
That still begs the question of what music gets dropped from the smaller index.

I'll leave it to folks that think this is a good idea to work out some kind of plan that the Sonos forum staff can take to the engineers, I'm just not seeing any good possibilities and I'll quit raining on your parade.