Introducing Sonos Amp

Show first post

364 replies

Badge
hey guys, been through the thread, but just wanted to check something as I've found the discussion a little confusing (sorry).

I have an amp on pre-order and wanted to check I'm ready to go with a surround setup when it arrives - or whether I'm missing something.

I've got a TV with HDMI-ARC that I'm going to feed into the amp. I've got a couple of non-sonos speakers that I'm going to hook up to the amp, I'd like to use these as front L/R and phantom.

I then want to use two play:1 speakers as rear left and right. I can't run wires to these so they need to be wireless.

I currently don't have a sub.

Would my planned setup work with the amp?

Thank you.
Badge +1
I don't quite have an application for this product, but the more I read about it, the more interested in it I become.
My main player is a Nvidia Shield TV. Using Plex, if I set the Shield to decode a codec not supported by the Sonos AMP (e.g. DTS-HD), the playback should be more or less the same as bitstreaming to a receiver that supports DTS-HD, correct? Since it is also passing through the TV via ARC, does it matter what codecs the TV supports? Thanks.
Badge
thanks melvimbe and Ken_Griffiths! 🙂
kamilkonrad,

Yes, the Amp can be bonded with the Sonos Sub. The sub can be bonded with any Sonos Room.

There’s no option to swap the Sonos and Passive Speakers, but you could go with say a Sonos Beam at the front and the Amp setup for the rear surrounds instead... or even use two Amps front and rear.

There is no option to use Sonos standalone speakers, Play 1,3,5 etc as the two front speakers in a Sonos HT setup.

I pretty sure you can use a 3rd party powered sub and the Sonos sub at the same time if the Amp is used for the front channels, but you may need to just check that matter as I’m not entirely sure. I understand the sub port is only disabled when the Amp is used for the rear channels.

Yes there are ‘autoplay’ (switch) setting options (and room grouping options) for both the HDMI-ARC source and the line-in audio source.

i don’t think it comes with the HDMI to optical converter ... that is available to purchase separately.

There is no switch to turn off the phantom centre channel when playing a 5.1 Dolby Digital source... maybe switch the paying source to PCM stereo ...and of course it does not Apply to PCM audio, nor music audio.

Hope I’ve managed to cover all your points.
Userlevel 2
Badge
If I use the new Amp for the front channels could I use one of the older Amps, 100 or 120, for the back channels? Any chance of supporting a dedicated center channel with a Play1 or Play3 or Play5?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Dear Sonos reps, I'm wondering how truplay will work with the Sonance speakers. Will I need to enter a serial number in the Sonos app? Will the amp autodetect the speakers?

For third party speakers such as non Sonos sonance exterior or in wall or others will Truplay now work with these speakers? If no can you explain why please.

The Sonos Architectural speakers which we worked with Sonance to produce will be autodetected by the Sonos Amp due to their hardware, which will allow you to Trueplay with them attached. It's just those models that are compatible with the Amp for Trueplay tuning, not other speakers. This is because we were able to specifically design these speakers and know what their sonic profile and capabilities are, allowing for more fine tuning through Trueplay.

If you have a Sonos Amp as the surround speakers for a Playbar, Playbase, or Beam, you'd also be able to Trueplay the whole setup, even with speakers that aren't the Sonos Architectural speakers. The tuning, in this case, would be more about making adjustments to more basic things, like the volume of surrounds and adjustments to bass.

For third party speakers such as non Sonos sonance exterior or in wall or others will Truplay now work with these speakers? If no can you explain why please.

It's worth noting that the outdoor Sonos/Sonance speakers do not say they will truplay with the Amp.
I'd like to use the Sonos Amp to power some old floor standing Cerwin Vega speakers which I have running at 4Ohms. Can I bridge the right and left channels to run mono at 4Ohms without causing damage to the amplifier of the Sonos Amp? Is it stable at 4Ohms?

Moderator edit: removed invalid link
Will it work with phono cables (no going silent an no lip sync problem) - my setup is very 'integrated' so getting a hdmi cable installed is not so easy... :)
The Analog RCA audio inputs are going to have the same behavior as other players with it, like the Connect:amp. They have autoplay as well, but the Analog is handled differently from the HDMI-ARC and could have a noticeable lip sync delay. Neither input should get turned off if you’re using Autoplay unless your source is very quiet for a long time, and even there, it should automatically turn back on. I’d suggest seeing if it’s at all possible to get the HDMI-ARC run so that you can get the best experience.

I'd also vote for allowing RCA connections to work without delay as well. My situation is slightly different though. The tv I use for outdoors doesn't stay outdoors permanently. It's actually on a rolling cart, and I rolling it outside whenever it's using. This means I'd be connecting and disconnecting the TV to the Sonos Amp all the time. With an RCA connection, I can just plug it in and go essentially. All I really want is stereo for outdoors anyway. With HDMI-ARC, I'm concerned that there will be complications with making sure the CEC handshake, etc is done properly. When the TV isn't outside, it's being used inside with the TV speakers turned on, so it's a different audio setup depending where it's used. I dunno, maybe it won't be an issue since the TV essentially goes through a cold boot whenever it's moved.

I think the point is, although a HDMI-ARC gives the best experience, there are going to be scenarios where the simpliest experience is preferred.

The Sonos Architectural speakers which we worked with Sonance to produce will be autodetected by the Sonos Amp due to their hardware, which will allow you to Trueplay with them attached. It's just those models that are compatible with the Amp for Trueplay tuning, not other speakers. This is because we were able to specifically design these speakers and know what their sonic profile and capabilities are, allowing for more fine tuning through Trueplay.

Will trueplay be available if you have 2 or 3 pairs of the architectural speakers attached to the same Amp? What will happen if the pairs are actually placed in different rooms? Will trueplay be disabled if you use a speaker switch or volume control device in between the speakers and the amp? And since it appears that trueplay will not work in an outdoor environment, what will happen if ceiling speakers are used outdoors, say in the ceiling of a covered patio?
How many Proficient C625TT 75W, 8 Ohm speakers can I run off one of the new amps please, currently frustrated with the limit of 4 off my current Connects
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Good questions, Danny!

The Amp is looking for something special from the speakers and anything in the middle of that connection, such as a speaker selector or volume controller could prevent Trueplay from being available. If the detection fails, you could wire the speakers directly to your Amp and run Trueplay, then install the switch or other devices. These shouldn't affect the results after, but it would probably make running tuning again harder.

Trueplay should be available with multiple pairs of those Sonance speakers attached (multiple of the same type, not multiple types, so no mixing and matching pairs) to the Amp. If you're running speakers in two different rooms off of one Amp, Trueplay won't know that it's in two rooms, and will tune as if it's all one space. So if you're using multiple pairs in different rooms, we wouldn't suggest Trueplay. You're welcome to test it out, but it probably won't give you the best experience.

The outdoor speakers aren't designed for Trueplay, as that space isn't typically one that can be tuned for. If you do decide to try out the ceiling speakers in a covered patio (not something they're designed or rated for), Trueplay would certainly be available to try, but it may fail for a number of reasons. The Amp wouldn't know you're outside with those speakers, and would perform just as if you were inside doing the same thing. Trueplay itself may not be able to compensate for the space, and it may be too loud to run tuning in the first place.
Thanks Ryan. Pretty much the answers I thought, but worth asking to clarify.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Interestingly I have been using the Connect Amp with my Sony Bravia for years now and have never experienced any sync issues between audio and video. It is connected from the headphones jack on the Bravia to the audio input connection on the Connect Amp. Absolutely nobody has observed or mentioned an audio delay. If it is there it is not discernible.
A question for first adopters: Some reviews claim/criticise a sound signature for the amp, which surprises me because I see no reason, including that of incompetence, for any well made solid state amp to have it unless the tone controls are away from centre positions; the Connect Amps I use definitely have none such and faithfully hew to the good amp design philosophy of providing "straight wire with gain" - all both do is amplify the signal without adding anything else to it.

So, apart from additional connectivity features and higher gain via more power, does the Sonos Amp do anything else that isn't welcome?
I'd like to use the Sonos Amp to power some old floor standing Cerwin Vega speakers which I have running at 4Ohms. Can I bridge the right and left channels to run mono at 4Ohms without causing damage to the amplifier of the Sonos Amp? Is it stable at 4Ohms?I'd like to use the Sonos Amp to power some old floor standing Cerwin Vega speakers which I have running at 4Ohms. Can I bridge the right and left channels to run mono at 4Ohms without causing damage to the amplifier of the Sonos Amp? Is it stable at 4Ohms?

The guide for the Sonos Amp says ...The speakers’ power rating should be at least 125W for 8 ohm speakers, and at least 200W for 4 ohm speakers. Do not connect speakers that are rated at less than 4 ohm.

So my thoughts are you should be fine to connect those and there is a mono option too, if you prefer that.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
@attacama40, you actually don't need to wait for the Sonos Amp, as the Connect:amp + Beam should be able to accomplish what you're looking for. You can setup the Beam as your front soundbar, bond your Sub to that, and then have the connect:amp drive your ceiling speakers as surround sound. That will give you a 5.1 audio when the source from the TV is in Dolby Digital 5.1. When you listen to music sources, you can set it to play full stereo, so you'd be hearing stereo from your ceiling speakers (as well as the Beam) instead of ambient sounds.

Here are the setup instrunctions for using the Connect:amp for surrounds:
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2237?language=en_US

For your scenario what the difference between the Connect:amp and Sonos Amp will be that the Sonos amp has more power and you would no longer need to wire all the units to the network, you could use wifi.

All that said, if your existing ceiling speakers are not in a good location for surround sound, and you don't want to move them, that may not be the best route to go. Another option to just get effectively 3.1 sound (no surround) would be to connect your TV directly to a Sonos Amp, no beam involved. In that case you'd get stereo from the ceiling speakers at all times. If you wanted to get sound coming from the front as well, you could then just get a passive soundbar (should work I think), passive bookshelf or in-wall speakers also connect to the speaker ports on the Sonos Amp to play those in stereo as well. That's pretty much like what Ken was suggesting in an earlier post.

And yes, whatever source you connect to the TV (blu ray, cable, streamer, etc) will pass through the tv to play on the audio system.

Hi Danny and thanks for taking the time. I've really been struggling with the connection logic on this one. Total brain fog.

And I think your configuration ticks the box.

Just to clarify a little more. The CCM684's & Sonos sub were fitted only about 10 days back for audio only (there was no plan for TV at that point). Then my creative wife suggested to add a TV. All good...but, the speakers are 90 degrees the wrong way for the TV location....one over the TV itself and one at the far end of the room away from the TV screen!!! Far from ideal ... for the TV that is.

I'm not keen to move them (but can at this point should it be necessary) as the room is not a main viewing room, we don't need to go full scale surround sound. But of course it would be a shame not to try to get some spatial event out of the TV ... so I thought buy a Beam! But I struggled to match the new idea to the original audio only one. And whilst I've installed conduit (which mitigates getting the cabling wrong to some extent) I,m worried about installing without fully understanding the end result.

So if I read you right, I can use the Beam to drive the Sonos sub for the TV but not the 684's?

Is there a pairing that would allow the Beam and Sub to work with the 684's just for music without Sonos setting changes? My wife struggles with vanilla Sonos usage!!! ... a work in progress!

The ideal end game for me would be audio stream to the 684's sub and Beam, even if a little odd configuration. And avoid setting or pairing issues.

Just to note, I've installed L-C-R audio cables AND RJ45 (and power) L & R just for future proofing ... total overkill but bricks and plaster flying! But the room is small and I don't want to drown it in tech clutter. And as the result of a previous Bose installation, there are LR and RR feeds in the wall somewhere that are available ... just in case things change. I know that sounds totally mad especially if not planning to actually use it to the full but there is a budget as well.

Just to clarify if I'm understanding correctly. I hope that makes sense. Thanks again
Badge
Dear Sonos reps,

Now that Amp is released to the general public does anyone know when the optical to HDMI-ARC adapter will be available in the Australian store. I can currently only see it in the US store. My TV only has optical out and I don't want to buy a new TV with HDMI-ARC unless the current one dies.

Once I can get the adapter I'll order the Amp but it's pointless until then.
Userlevel 2
It looks nice and I could use it to replace my old ZP-100. But doing so would be a "waste" of money.

Back in 2006 I bought a bundle containing ZP-80, ZP-100 and a CR-100 controller. Of this bundle I've only retired the controller. The ZP-100 have been on top of a shelf in the kitchen hooked up to a pair of Dali speakers for more than 12 years and its still in daily use. I never had any electronic device last this long. For all I know it might run for another decade depending on how long it will continue to get firmware/software updates. This is why I never bothered to look for anything else to stream music. I'm happy to pay a few dollars more for something that just keeps working for years and years.

This is why I love Sonos and I hope the new amp is built in the same way. I'll be sure to check it out when it arrives next year.
Badge
EDIT: I found some additional settings under the EQ that seem to do what I want...I'm going to leave my original post below in case anyone else finds it useful.

On the apple mac client, the settings are under "EQ settings" for the amp. There's tabs for "EQ", "Sub" and "Surrounds". "Surrounds" is what you're looking for.

On the Android app, the above settings can be found under "Room settings" for the amp, then "Advanced Audio" and "Surround Settings". I switched "Music Playback" to "Full".

I don't have any Apple devices, I'm sure the settings could be found somewhere similar to the android app.

-----------------------
Received my amp and set it up today; it's fantastic.

A couple of very minor quibbles, but these don't spoil things for me.

1. I have two play:1 speakers as rear surrounds. If streaming music rather than watching TV, it'd be nice to be able to configure the rear two as a stereo pair.
2. Again, when playing music, the rear play:1 speakers seem a bit on the quiet side. It'd be nice to be able to adjust the volume separately - though I guess if (1) above was ever possible, this issue would probably be solved.

I understand the need to bind the speakers as surrounds for the amp, but depending on context (i.e. streaming music), it'd be nice to be able to see the rear speakers as a stereo pair.

However, as I say, these are really minor things for me and I love the amp. Nice work!

Just to clarify a little more. The CCM684's & Sonos sub were fitted only about 10 days back for audio only (there was no plan for TV at that point). Then my creative wife suggested to add a TV. All good...but, the speakers are 90 degrees the wrong way for the TV location....one over the TV itself and one at the far end of the room away from the TV screen!!! Far from ideal ... for the TV that is.

So what was the reason for settting it up this way? The speakers (unless in mono) should be to the left and right of the direction you'd normally face. Since there's a TV in the room, that's almost always towards the TV. Even when not watching TV, that tends to be the focus. So I'm just wondering why the speakers are directed 90% opposite of that. Is this a workout room, or something lese that would warrant placing the speakers this way? Where the speakers placed this way perhaps because orientation of the ceiling rafters?

I don't think there is really anyway you could use these speakers with the TV in their current positions, unless you're going to just play mono audio (which is an option for the Sonos Amp). And maybe that's fine for the room, don't know.

So if I read you right, I can use the Beam to drive the Sonos sub for the TV but not the 684's?

Is there a pairing that would allow the Beam and Sub to work with the 684's just for music without Sonos setting changes? My wife struggles with vanilla Sonos usage!!! ... a work in progress!

A beam can only be attached to one room/zone at a time. Since it sounds like the 654s (connect:amp or Sonos amp really) will be a separate room since you likely won't be setting them up as surround sound, then you would not be able to set up the sub to work with the beam and the 684s at the same time. It can be done, but it won't really sound good to set it up this way.

But if the TV is not the main listening area, the beam w/o sub is probably just fine for the space.
Received my amp and set it up today; it's fantastic.

A couple of very minor quibbles, but these don't spoil things for me.

1. I have two play:1 speakers as rear surrounds. If streaming music rather than watching TV, it'd be nice to be able to configure the rear two as a stereo pair.
2. Again, when playing music, the rear play:1 speakers seem a bit on the quiet side. It'd be nice to be able to adjust the volume separately - though I guess if (1) above was ever possible, this issue would probably be solved.

I understand the need to bind the speakers as surrounds for the amp, but depending on context (i.e. streaming music), it'd be nice to be able to see the rear speakers as a stereo pair.

However, as I say, these are really minor things for me and I love the amp. Nice work!
Go to Settings/Room Settings in the Sonos App and select the room that relates to your Amp. Then goto 'Advanced Audio/Surround Settings' and switch music playback from 'Ambient' to 'Full' ... then try playing some music again to the Amp. I think you will be pleasantly surprised..!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +8

So what was the reason for settting it up this way? The speakers (unless in mono) should be to the left and right of the direction you'd normally face. Since there's a TV in the room, that's almost always towards the TV. Even when not watching TV, that tends to be the focus. So I'm just wondering why the speakers are directed 90% opposite of that. Is this a workout room, or something lese that would warrant placing the speakers this way? Where the speakers placed this way perhaps because orientation of the ceiling rafters?

I don't think there is really anyway you could use these speakers with the TV in their current positions, unless you're going to just play mono audio (which is an option for the Sonos Amp). And maybe that's fine for the room, don't know.

A beam can only be attached to one room/zone at a time. Since it sounds like the 654s (connect:amp or Sonos amp really) will be a separate room since you likely won't be setting them up as surround sound, then you would not be able to set up the sub to work with the beam and the 684s at the same time. It can be done, but it won't really sound good to set it up this way.

But if the TV is not the main listening area, the beam w/o sub is probably just fine for the space.

Hi Danny, yes it was a solid plan that worked and got changed right at the tail spin. Original aim was to have a room without TV. So the speakers & sub were perfect layout wise (it's a small lounge ... typical 1920's bay window thing). Then the idea last Sunday to add TV!!! Just as the install was finished!!!.

Totally agree it's now become a mad layout ... for TV sound anyway. The in ceiling 684's has back boxes fabricated, whole 9 yards and sounded a treat.

So now the decision is several fold ....

1. leave as is and just use the existing install for audio - 684's, sub and Sonos CA

2. Add just the Sonos Beam for the TV (as you mention above) ... warming to that

3. Use a 'as supplied' sound bar that could come optionally with the TV

4. Do away with the current install and add Play ones at front together with the beam

I think on balance, just using the Beam for TV and keeping the ceiling speakers and bub (separate group) as you mentioned is the most sensible. I still have all the wiring installed LRC RR RL and sub should that fail to hit target, which I doubt.

Sometimes it just takes an independent set of eyes to look at something .... this is precisely what you have done and I think common sense is starting to shake out. A Sonos Beam it is. Many thanks for the time spent. Appreciated
Badge
Thanks so much @Ken_Griffiths!

I did some digging end edited my post around the same time you were replying :D

Appreciate it.