Introducing Sonos Amp

Show first post

364 replies

But I still understand the aesthetics argument. Although I have to admit, I have a black PLAYBAR sitting on a white cabinet under my TV set. At first, it was a bit jarring, but after a couple of weeks, my eyes became accustomed to it, and I no longer "see" it. But different people have different tolerances on that kind of stuff.

For me, white seems like a strange color for a soundbar or base because it will always be paired with a TV, and I don't think I've ever seen a TV come in white. Even if your stand or wall is in a matching white, your TV will still stand out. But maybe it's just a matter of opinion or perhaps, speaker 'fashion' is different depending on where you live.

Either way, I think Sonos would be wise to have interchangeable color grill covers (or something similar) on their next speakers. Not only would it give customers greater options for fitting speakers into the décor, it also adds another revenue stream for Sonos. And it makes a good gift idea for the family member who's already filled the house with Sonos, yet still wants more.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
OK I reread you post ryan - so if Sonos Amp used for surrounds you can't hook anything to it like HDMI (all inputs disabled). Kinda a shame as would have been a terrific solution for projector people.

Just to clarify - with TV plugged in Sonos Amp via HDMI Arc.

? ? You can get 2.1 sound with 2 passive speakers and a subwoofer hooked to the Sonos Amp (i.e. the Sonos Amp will actually pass the the LFE discrete channel to an active subwoofer … you don't have to have a Sonos Sub to get that actual channel).
If current Sonos amp reliability is any indicator - I would seriously not bother. Unreliable and buggy.
That would be true - yes you could have 8 speakers (2 front right, 2 front left, 2 rear right, 2 rear left)

4.0 bonded setup.

Although with the phantom center I would think having 4 speakers up front would make the sound a little "Messy"

Chris,

My thoughts here were, two speakers, one either side of the TV and two speakers in the ceiling just in front of the TV ... playing the front left and right channels and of course a bonded front Sonos sub... remember this setup also plays a phantom centre channel.

Then a similar setup at the rear, two speakers either side of the seating area and also two rear ceiling speakers from the second Amp. The ports are disabled so no second sub allowed, but because they are all 'bonded', the TV-audio and music-audio will now all be in sync from the entire system, with a nice centre phantom channel ... giving a 4.1.4 room setup. (or..virtual phantom 5.1.4).

As Spock would say ....

I’m just wondering if this is possible with two new Sonos Amps and therefore a 'very slight step' in the direction of an Atmos 'style' setup... though I’m not too sure how it would really sound, but it might suit some people.
I’m going to be using the new Sonos amp with a pair of bowers and Wilkins floorstanding speakers along with the Sonos Sub. I already know you can set the crossover frequency manually for the Sonos Sub, but does that apply to the tower speakers as well. Basically what I’m asking is if I set my Sonos subwoofer to 60hz crossover, will my speakers play everything above 60hz and let the Sonos Sub handle the lows, or will my speakers play full range, with my Sub also playing frequencies below 60hz aka double bass? I’d like to have the option to do both to see what sounds better but I haven’t seen it mentioned
Ken, if you ran each of the two Amps through speaker switches, you could maybe push 12+ speakers into the setup. And instead of using ceiling speakers, you could use upwards firing atmos speakers if wiring through the walls is not an option.
Ken, if you ran each of the two switches through speaker switches, you could maybe push 12+ speakers into the setup. And instead of using ceiling speakers, you could use upwards firing atmos speakers if wiring through the walls is not an option.
I think the neighbours would not be too happy with me having 8 x 8 ohm speakers running close to 125w pc in my lounge ? and it’s true my wife won’t let me dig out 'trenches' in the plastered lounge walls, or cut holes in the ceiling. So I need to hatch a plan where the wife runs off with the neighbour before the Amp is released in February... ha !

Upward firing 'surround' speakers are definitely the way forward for me, I think.
Badge +1
I've been wanting to come back to records (as a kid I had a little collection and a player) for years, dreaming of a SONOS connected record player for sometime now. This surely gets me half way now. Just need to choose a player. :8
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before but if I connect my TV using optical out and hdmi adapter (included with amp?) then is sound in sync for my TV same as using hdmi arc?

Thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge +6
Question : Can someone point me to a decent provider of wall mount chassis that would be suitable for a discrete kitchen install of the amp? It looks like its a standard size for home automation?

This is PERFECT timing as we are doing a big home upgrade and will be looking to install these around Feb/March, so very pleased. My other half wasn't happy with having to lose storage space to having wall mount Play 5s, so we can now properly go ceiling mount, which is great.
Userlevel 7
Hi gtrance

Yes, the sound will be in sync. Although you may have to adjust within the Sonos app. That said it's no different than if you were using a Playbar or Playbase via optical. Also, the HDMI Optical adapter does not come standard with the Sonos Amp. It's a $25-USD Sonos accessory.

Cheers!
Had the new amp for a few days now and have been impressed. I have speakers that require some decent power and the amp has had no problem powering them and sounding great.
What about voice control?

Any plans to enable the mics in Sonos One’s when used as rears?
If the Beam could support Atmos via eARC, could there be a route to using one or two of these with some in-ceiling speakers to create a 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 setup?
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
When can we buy this in Europe/denmark? It is February now :-)

Same for the U.K.
Ken, I'm pretty sure you're mad. But yes, the logic checks out and it should work assuming speaker requirements and all checkout.
Thanks (I think? ). I was just seeing if the four speakers continued to operate when the Amp is bonded, either front or rear in a HT setup. Useful for those perhaps, who have, or may like, additional TV speakers in their ceiling.
Badge
So it is now 5th Feb and still says coning soon. Does anyone have a definite release date for the Amp in the UK?
Question : Can someone point me to a decent provider of wall mount chassis that would be suitable for a discrete kitchen install of the amp? It looks like its a standard size for home automation?

This is PERFECT timing as we are doing a big home upgrade and will be looking to install these around Feb/March, so very pleased. My other half wasn't happy with having to lose storage space to having wall mount Play 5s, so we can now properly go ceiling mount, which is great.

I would bet good money that Sonos will sell wall mounts and other accessories around this off their own website when things get closer to the release date.
Can it be bonded with a Sonos sub? I see that you can connect a non-Sonos sub, but haven't seen anything about the normal bonding of a Sonos sub.

- For HT, Is there an option to have passive speakers as the front speakers and then bond with 2 Sonos speakers as rear sounds? Is the opposite setup also true (Sonos speakers in the front, passive in the back)?

- Is it possible to create a 4.1 setup using only Sonos speakers. Say play:5s in the front, play:1s in the back, and a Sonos sub? Would you possibly need 2 Amps to get that done? (I know you, you're not using the Amp at all in this configuration)

- For any configuration where you use 2 Amps, or the Amp + Beam/Playbar/Playbase...will you be able to use 2 Subs, either Sonos or non-Sonos?

- Will you be able to set it so the RCA line in and/or the HDMI/ARC input will automatically switch to that source?

- Will it come with an optical adapter as the Beam does?

- Will there be an option to turn off the simulated center channel when using HDMI-ARC as input?

Moderator edit: removed invalid link
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Currently I have a room with 2 CCM684's ceiling speakers and a Sonos Sub powered from a Sonos CA and all wired ... just for streamed music.

I want to add a new TV and Sonos Beam but currently struggling understand how to integrate all components. Not to worried about pure surround sound, just an immersive sound that the TV and can drive but also I can hit music hard to the CCM684's and Sub.

If I added Sonos Amp and pensioned off the CA, I could drive the ceiling speakers (684's), the sub and Sonos Beam with o/p from the TV? Would that be correct?

And to add a Blu-ray, I'd feed this to the TV and then HDMI ARC out to the Sonos Amp?

If you could confirm please (I'm sure the answer already above but I'm limited tech) .... if it's the case, my finger already on the 'Buy Now' button waiting for Feb 🙂
Currently I have a room with 2 CCM684's ceiling speakers and a Sonos Sub powered from a Sonos CA and all wired ... just for streamed music.

I want to add a new TV and Sonos Beam but currently struggling understand how to integrate all components. Not to worried about pure surround sound, just an immersive sound that the TV and can drive but also I can hit music hard to the CCM684's and Sub.

If I added Sonos Amp and pensioned off the CA, I could drive the ceiling speakers (684's), the sub and Sonos Beam with o/p from the TV? Would that be correct?

And to add a Blu-ray, I'd feed this to the TV and then HDMI ARC out to the Sonos Amp?

If you could confirm please (I'm sure the answer already above but I'm limited tech) .... if it's the case, my finger already on the 'Buy Now' button waiting for Feb :-)

No need for the HDMI-ARC to the Amp. Your connections would be:

Beam connected to TV via HDMI-ARC.
Amp to ceiling speakers via speaker cable.
Sub wireless.

This will give you 5.1 sound for all TV sources. Connect all external TV sources via HDMI in on the TV, then HDMI-ARC to the Beam handles the output. Make sure you purchase a Blu-Ray that converts to DD 5.1, most Samsung models do.

When set to 'Full", it will give you multi-channel stereo from the Beam, surrounds and sub for all music sources.
Badge
Yep thx guys pre ordered today 😃
@attacama40, you actually don't need to wait for the Sonos Amp, as the Connect:amp + Beam should be able to accomplish what you're looking for. You can setup the Beam as your front soundbar, bond your Sub to that, and then have the connect:amp drive your ceiling speakers as surround sound. That will give you a 5.1 audio when the source from the TV is in Dolby Digital 5.1. When you listen to music sources, you can set it to play full stereo, so you'd be hearing stereo from your ceiling speakers (as well as the Beam) instead of ambient sounds.

Here are the setup instrunctions for using the Connect:amp for surrounds:
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2237?language=en_US

For your scenario what the difference between the Connect:amp and Sonos Amp will be that the Sonos amp has more power and you would no longer need to wire all the units to the network, you could use wifi.

All that said, if your existing ceiling speakers are not in a good location for surround sound, and you don't want to move them, that may not be the best route to go. Another option to just get effectively 3.1 sound (no surround) would be to connect your TV directly to a Sonos Amp, no beam involved. In that case you'd get stereo from the ceiling speakers at all times. If you wanted to get sound coming from the front as well, you could then just get a passive soundbar (should work I think), passive bookshelf or in-wall speakers also connect to the speaker ports on the Sonos Amp to play those in stereo as well. That's pretty much like what Ken was suggesting in an earlier post.

And yes, whatever source you connect to the TV (blu ray, cable, streamer, etc) will pass through the tv to play on the audio system.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Dear Sonos reps, I'm wondering how truplay will work with the Sonance speakers. Will I need to enter a serial number in the Sonos app? Will the amp autodetect the speakers?

For third party speakers such as non Sonos sonance exterior or in wall or others will Truplay now work with these speakers? If no can you explain why please.
Badge +1
Will the new Sonos Amp have Speech Enhancement and Night Sound modes? I like the idea of using big high end floorstanding speakers plus maybe a sub for a 2.0 or 2.1 system with TV (I don't need surround sound) to give bigger sound than a Beam or Playbar could. Also when using the Sonos Amp in a 2.0 or 2.1 set up will the phantom centre channel kick in when it receives a DD signal or do you need to have surround speakers before the phantom centre kicks in? Many thanks 🙂