Introducing Sonos Amp

Show first post

364 replies

So you could get 5.0 out of it with hdmi plugged in rear. And add Sonos sub for full 5.1.
The HDMI and Analog inputs are also disabled when the Amp is used to run the rear channels. You'd need a Beam in the front for HDMI-ARC input, or using the audio input on the Playbar or Playbase.

I kind of had a similar question as Chris. Can you connect a Sonos Amp to a TV/project through the HDMI-ARC connection and create a 5.1 setup made entirely out of Sonos speakers? No non-sonos speakers and not utilizing the Sonos Amp's built in amplifier in anyway. So for example, the Sonos Amp connect to your tv/projector, 2 Play:5s in the front, 2 Sonos Ones in the back, and Sonos Sub?

If the answer is no, can that feature be included in the next product release please?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The design with the new black has a far more premium look vs the old connect:-amp

The black is much more prosumer vs consumer white
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Good question, Danny. The short answer is no.

The Amp will work just like any of our other home theater players in regards to bringing an audio source into the system. It takes the audio input, and plays the right and left audio while mixing the center channels as well. If you have surrounds bonded with it, the rear channels will be sent to those speakers.

In your example, the Play:5s would be a stereo pair, the two Ones would be another stereo pair, and the Sub would be bonded with either "room". You could alternatively have the Sonos Ones bonded as surrounds with the Amp. The Play:5s in the front would be playing stereo audio, grouped and sent from your Amp. This would work just like it would today if you had a Beam in the same place. The sync might be a little off, as grouped players don't have the same latency as bonded surrounds. And it would show up in your Sonos app as 2 or 3 separate rooms that are grouped together, depending on if you had the Ones bonded with the Amp.

I'll pass along the interest in this sort of setup to the team for you, not likely to make it into the next release though 🙂
I'm not a materials expert...but I'd expect that the vinyl wouldn't be a huge impediment. A few percent, perhaps....under the assumption that you weren't covering any vents, etc.

Nor do I happen to be a manufacturing expert (I'm not skilled in a wide variety of things!). Setting up a differing paint run, then all of the packaging and inventory might be why Sonos hasn't done it. I'd agree that I think black would outsell white....someone at Sonos must have numbers as to what the difference between sales of the two numbers are, and what the potential profit to loss doing such a thing would be. I'd assume that's why they've never done a white PLAYBAR, either.

But I still understand the aesthetics argument. Although I have to admit, I have a black PLAYBAR sitting on a white cabinet under my TV set. At first, it was a bit jarring, but after a couple of weeks, my eyes became accustomed to it, and I no longer "see" it. But different people have different tolerances on that kind of stuff.

Gah. Was going to suggest mounting it upside down under the cabinet, but since the simple physics of heat rising, that might not be a great idea either.
Badge
. . .
The Sonos Amp also has the option to play mono, so you could have the same audio playing out of all of the speakers connected with it. . . .

This is a great addition that has been long requested for in-ceiling speakers when you want ambient music. Any chance of the mono feature trickling down to Connect:Amps?
Could I use this product to drive 4 in-ceiling speakers, that are all in separate rooms, and then have them each identified separately for Airplay 2 purposes?

ie, "Hey Siri, play top hits in the Bedroom.", and then "Hey Siri, play smooth jazz in the living room." And have up to 4 separate streams playing?
Userlevel 2
I agree with most of the comments. I do like the design and the colour of the black Amp. My only point was that I would like Sonos to add the option of white for those of us that find that fitting. Don't forget that this is exactly what Sonos did with the Sub. Just that it took them about two years to figure that one out (and yes I bought a white Sub) :8

I'll pass along the interest in this sort of setup to the team for you, not likely to make it into the next release though :)

Well, I would speculate that means additional wifi radios, and possibly tricker to get the additional devices in sync...not something you can just change in a release. Looking at anther way.with a playbar/playbase/beam setup, the max number of devices bonded together to the room is 4...once you add it 2 surrounds and the sub. That doesn't appear to change with the Sonos amp.

No worries.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I know. I didn’t mean to be argumentative. Historically Sonos just doesn’t appear to sell enough of the specialized units to warrant them do two colors. While I’m sure there are people who would much prefer white. They seem to be going for the installer market that previously complained about the connect:amp being white.
I understand that Sonos Amp has Airplay capabilities. Does this mean that I can stream music from my iPhone to the Amp and from there to wired speakers connected to the amp? Or does it mean that I can connect a turntable to the Amp and have it stream the music to Sonos wireless speakers (and if so, can it also stream to other Airplay speakers, like the HomePod)? Or can it do all of the above?

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. I searched but could not find answers to these questions.
So you could get 5.0 out of it with hdmi plugged in rear. And add Sonos sub for full 5.1.
The HDMI and Analog inputs are also disabled when the Amp is used to run the rear channels. You'd need a Beam in the front for HDMI-ARC input, or using the audio input on the Playbar or Playbase.

Will two Amps in a Home Theatre 5.0 'bonded' setup, output the front and rear TV audio channels to a possible total of 8 connected speakers? (4 x 8 ohm speakers per Amp)?
First post! Just ordered the Amp (my first Sonos product). My Amp and Apple TV will be placed in a rack (in a closet). I was wondering if I can still control volume using my Apple TV remote? The AMP won't be able to receive the IR signals from the Apple TV remote but I was wondering if the TV can forward the IR signals to the AMP over HDMI Arc?

Also, my HDMI cable is 50 ft - would that be a problem for the Amp?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That would be true - yes you could have 8 speakers (2 front right, 2 front left, 2 rear right, 2 rear left)

4.0 bonded setup.

Although with the phantom center I would think having 4 speakers up front would make the sound a little "Messy"
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Cable should be fine

And if appletv will adjust your tv volume now it will adjust volume of the amp via arc.