Introducing Sonos Amp

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

364 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I assume that anything connected through HDMI-ARC will play without any delay in order to be sync with video. With this be an option for sources connected to the RCA inputs as well? It's not crucial, but I can see an advantage for older TVs that don't have ARC or optical, as well as syncing with video from phones and tablets.
The HDMI-ARC input doesn't have any noticeable delay, as expected, though when grouped with other players (not as a home theater setup) you may get a little sync delay between the rooms. The RCA analog input does have a bit more of a delay and functions just like it does on other Sonos players today, it may have a delay that's a bit more noticeable depending on several variables.
Great, however it needs to have inputs for surround sound. Ie front left and right, rear left and right and sub. Missing two inputs. :(

Inputs? HDMI-ARC will bring in all the channels needed for 5.1 audio?

Are you asking for additional speaker posts (output)?
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I guess still no multichannel stereo on TV output, isn't it?
When using two new Sonos Amps for your home theater, you'd get 4.1 (no audio is discarded, but you wouldn't have a dedicated center channel).

You could also use Amp with a Beam/Playbar/Playbase as the rear channels (wirelessly) to get 5.1.

Very nice, up power and speaker support at 8ohms.
Just checking in, are you asking for more power than the 125W per channel at 8 Ohms? That's over twice what the old Connect:Amp had (55W).

Hi Ryan thank you!
I was referring to stereo TV sound signal, in a Sonos 5.1 configuration (any) is not yet possible to have an "ambient" option for TV as well like with music, isn't it?
With stereo TV signal surround speakers will remain silent?
Thank you
Camillo
hello again, im so sorry for asking maybe a basic question and that for sure you already answered before, i just bought some new amps for my in wall ceilings speakers. But I also have in my bedroom a receiver working for a definitive tech Mythos XTR-SSA3 Ultra Slim L/C/R Speaker Bar, I would like to simplify everything, can i buy one more sonos amp and hook it up directly to the speaker bar? I dont mind if I dont have the sorround sound of it, but having the reveiver its way to big and old fashion
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It would be a little strange since it has left center and right inputs. I guess leaving center unhooked would be best. Kinda a waste. Do you have a current amplifier hooked to it - I would just keep that amplifier and use a Sonos Connect hooked to the amp.
The old Connect Amp was capable of powering up to 4 speakers at 8 ohms. With the increased power, will this amp be capable of driving more speakers simultaneously? I'm thinking of large outdoor zones that might have 6-8 speakers or grouping several stereo pairs until more Sonos Amps can be purchased. These would be ambient music/sound zones where volume levels are unlikely to be pushed like they would in a home theater setup.
It would be a little strange since it has left center and right inputs. I guess leaving center unhooked would be best. Kinda a waste. Do you have a current amplifier hooked to it - I would just keep that amplifier and use a Sonos Connect hooked to the amp.
Thank you cris, but it will still be integrated with all the other sonos amps? Would it work as if was a different room ? To play music to that connect would I need to first turn on my old amp? Or just by the sonos app would I start playing music if I connect the old amp to the sonos connect?
Thanks again
I used to run 6 speakers off a connect:amp, using a speaker switch for impedance matching. I would think you'd be able to do that and more with the Sonos Amp. I would think you may trouble trying to connect 3 wires to the same post though, so a switch would be a good idea.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you hook Sonos amp to the right and left inputs it will be another Sonos room just like your other speakers across house. Can play independently or grouped.
Userlevel 2
Badge +8
I have my tv connected to the current amp - will the new amp solve these two issues: 1) tv sound disappearing when movie is very silent, 2) not always 100 pct lip sync. If so I am buying!
I have a simple question... have been trouble finding a clear answer. I know it is overkill to use the Sonos Amp for this purpose, but all I want is to use my two Sonos One speakers as front speakers connected to my TV to improve my TV sound. Can the Sonos Amp accomplish this with TV plugged into the Amp and then play sound wirelessly through the Sonos Ones? Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
This looks like a great update. Thanks for integrating a lot of the community feedback.

I have two questions for pro-audio setups:

1. I see you can do some bonding with other speakers for a home theater setup but for whole-house audio, can you bond two amps together as a single zone with locked volume (set prior to bonding)? This is one of the reasons I've not been able to use Sonos amps for large room installs with more than 4 speakers. Having to manually group 4 living room zones is not an option for rich people.

2. Are you going to enhance the EQ features in the app? I'd like to see a full range eq slider but at least 5 or so frequencies would be a start. High/Low filters?

Great questions, glad you're liking what you see!
1. The only bonding option currently is a home theater setup, which would allow you to bond two Amps together as a single "home theater room". There isn't a per player setting for max volume, but if you have the two bonded together you'd be able to control the volume of the two with just one slider. I'll pass along the request for some more settings and options here for bonding. The team is always listening for what people want to see added.
2. Again, there aren't any advanced EQ features here, but I'll pass along the suggestion.

I have my tv connected to the current amp - will the new amp solve these two issues: 1) tv sound disappearing when movie is very silent, 2) not always 100 pct lip sync. If so I am buying!
Yes, and yes. The Amp would be best to connect to your TV with the HDMI-ARC input which is designed for TV connections, and even has CEC for controls to be sent to the TV like the Beam does.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You would have group to the amp and will cause 70ms delay. You are better of getting a Sonos Beam for cheaper and will accomplish the same. But giving you better option of using beam for front and ones for rears.
I'd like to know what the "get better with age", and the Sonance partnership means for the potential in the future to support better home cinema setups, such as full Dolby Atmos by connecting multiple amps together, maybe? Although, at the price point for each Amp, it's still probably best to get a dedicated AV receiver for that full Atmos setup... But it'd still be nice to know
Thanks... my setup is very minimalist... do not want a soundbar in my main living area and no cords showing. HDMI cables are run through drywall to a cabinet. If there is a delay, I guess the amp won't be useful for TV.
For any configuration where you use 2 Amps, or the Amp + Beam/Playbar/Playbase...will you be able to use 2 Subs, either Sonos or non-Sonos?
Nope. The Sub can only be bonded to a single Sonos room, If you're using it was one Amp or two, it's still one Sonos room. The Sonos Amp being used as the rear speakers doesn't have the subwoofer output enabled.

This article suggest you can use 2 subs: https://www.techhive.com/article/3301498/software-music/sonos-amp-important-new-product.html
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Delay is not with the amp but in sharing the sound to the Play 1s in grouped mode rather than bonded surround mode.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
For projector owners - can the Sonos Amp be in the rear (powering 2 passive speakers and sub) with the HDMI plug from the source coming into the Sonos Amp.

Then ….. A playbar/beam as the front 3 speakers. No HDMI connected up front to the Beam.
Userlevel 2
The new Sonos Amp - in white Please
As it looks the new AMP will only be available in black. This makes me very disappointed as I would have loved to commission my old (white) Connect Amp installed in my kitchen and have it replaced with the new Amp. I have all 4 ceiling speakers cabled to a spot were I keep the Connect Amp very visible on a (white) counter top. I only have white and aluminium as a colour scheme. There is NO way I would buy a black one. Sonos, please reconsider in the same way you did with the Sub (that original only came in Black) and make a white Amp available. I will buy one immediately.
Anyone else with the same wish?
Userlevel 7
The new Sonos Amp - in white Please
As it looks the new AMP will only be available in black. This makes me very disappointed as I would have loved to commission my old (white) Connect Amp installed in my kitchen and have it replaced with the new Amp. I only have white and aluminium as a colour scheme. There is NO way I would buy a black one.

Personally I think Black is an elegant look for the Sonos Amp. Also now that it is "rack mountable" that is generally the color scheme in professional installations. The video in the link may explain why Black is the color of the day for the Sonos Amp. Although it specifically references the circuit boards the same probably holds true for the exterior. :8 Cheers!

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/amp.html
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
People used to complain the Connect:Amp was white.

Always somebody
I don't disagree, but I also see the desire that Magnus Ohlin has, given that his current one is out in the kitchen. I wonder how long it might be before some company comes up with a new set of vinyl covers for it....or potentially someone just does it themselves. Slight challenge around all the holes in the device, but I would think a sharp knife (Exacto style) could take care of that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So you could get 5.0 out of it with hdmi plugged in rear. And add Sonos sub for full 5.1.
Although I would guess black would way outsell white units, I wouldn't think there'd be much cost to having a white version (but I'm not in manufacturing) and would help sales slightly for those who prefer white and plan on having the unit out in the open. And if you're mounting in a rack, does it really even matter what color it is?

As far as covering the unit, would vinyl be a problem for the heat dissipation? I'd think it would retain heat, but I don't know. Being an amp, dissipating heat would be important, and I don't think it does it by fan IIRC correctly, the concave top is supposed to be a heat sink.

I was going to suggest possibly mounting the unit in a cabinet for Magnus, but heat could be an issue there as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
So you could get 5.0 out of it with hdmi plugged in rear. And add Sonos sub for full 5.1.
The HDMI and Analog inputs are also disabled when the Amp is used to run the rear channels. You'd need a Beam in the front for HDMI-ARC input, or using the audio input on the Playbar or Playbase.