Introducing Sonos Amp

Show first post

337 replies

Got the new amp this week. I have to say, I am a little disappointed with the sound. It sounds quite harsh and thin, compared with my old amp (which was nothing special, cost £200)

Different technologies used between the two, one sound fantastic on initial listening, the other cost £200!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
If a drop in replacement to a Connect Amp is giving these results, it is very surprising and something that Sonos should respond to you directly/here.
I agree. I replaced a Connect:Amp with a new Amp yesterday, driving a pair of Q Acoustics 3050 floorstanders. The new Amp sounds just as good as the old, and with more power obviously in reserve (in fact, the new Amp is over-specified for these speakers).

So, something is not right. I assume there’s no chance the speakers are mistakenly connected in opposite phase?
You swapped a digital amp for a digital amp abiet with more power.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
You swapped a digital amp for a digital amp abiet with more power.

So the online reviews and others comments on the same issue are all hearing things? Could this amp not have default settings of some sort that are boosting the high end too much?
My experience has been that AMP sounds better (to me) than CONNECT:AMP. I have seen a few reports of disappointing initial results from AMP that were resolved after rebooting. Make sure that the speakers are wired in phase. In my opinion it is too easy to connect the speakers out of phase.

So the online reviews and others comments on the same issue are all hearing things? Could this amp not have default settings of some sort that are boosting the high end too much?

Other than defective units and/or out of phase wiring, there is no reason or excuse for this kind of behaviour, assuming also that the default position of all the EQ settings is flat, ie, in the centre positions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Other than defective units and/or out of phase wiring, there is no reason or excuse for this kind of behaviour, assuming also that the default position of all the EQ settings is flat, ie, in the centre positions.

I can report that I'm hearing no difference in tonality of the Sonos Amp versus the Connect:Amp. Note that I'm not using a subwoofer in either case, however. Certainly no hint of it being 'bright'.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
My experience has been that AMP sounds better (to me) than CONNECT:AMP. I have seen a few reports of disappointing initial results from AMP that were resolved after rebooting. Make sure that the speakers are wired in phase. In my opinion it is too easy to connect the speakers out of phase.

I'm not sure what out of phase means. I took banana plugs straight out old amp and into the sonos amp. This should be okay?

I'll try rebooting just in case.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'm not sure what out of phase means. I took banana plugs straight out old amp and into the sonos amp. This should be okay?
It just means that the ‘red/black’ connections are reversed to one of the speakers compared to the other. This means that the left and right speakers will cancel each other out to some extent, instead of reinforcing the sound.
“Phase” involves the +/- markings on the speaker. At the instant one connects a battery to the speaker’s terminals, the cone will jump towards or away from the basket (the metal part). By convention, when the cone jumps out, the (+) terminal of the battery is connected to the speaker terminal that should be marked (+) and is often marked with a red band. The (+) terminal of the speaker should be connected to the (+) terminal of the amplifier.

A speaker is “out of phase” when it’s +/- connections do not match other speaker connections in the system.

In my battery test above, you can think of a positive pressure wave created as the speaker cone jumps out and a negative pressure wave created when the battery is connected backwards. When connected to an amplifier, a speaker cone will follow the signal, creating positive and negative pressure — sound waves. If one of the speaker connections in a system is reversed (out of phase), its positive pressure wave tends to be cancelled by the negative pressure wave generated by the other speaker(s). This cancellation is not perfect and some sound will still be emitted, but cancellation is more complete for the bass notes. If cancellation was perfect, no sound would be delivered into the room. Hence, our suggestion to check speaker phasing when bass suffers after changing connections or amplifiers.

I can report that I'm hearing no difference in tonality of the Sonos Amp versus the Connect:Amp. Note that I'm not using a subwoofer in either case, however. Certainly no hint of it being 'bright'.

That is what I would expect from a company of Sonos caliber.
I too read some reviews that spoke about sound changes when using a Sonos Amp, but I passed those off as the usual reviewer thing of finding something to say when there actually is little to say, as there ought to be for a product that only does what a Connect Amp does other than providing more signal gain. Since my Connect Amps have adequate grunt to drive my speakers/sound level needs, I see no reason to try the Sonos Amp when it becomes available, and will not be able to say anything from actual use of one, but I see no reason to so test the above quote. From the published spec, it seems like this is another fine product from Sonos. And the "digital" amp thing is a red herring; there is no reason why these cannot be engineered to have no sound signature other than gain.
Now that Amp is released to the general public does anyone know when the optical to HDMI-ARC adapter will be available in the Australian store.

Support sent me one when I contacted them. I'd recommend calling because the online chat rep said all I could do was sign up for the newsletter and wait. Did't get directed to the phone support until I had posted a grizzle about that on Sonos' Facebook page.

Now I'm trying to resolve my next issue: the IR remote sensor only works when the remote is within 20cm of the Amp. There is at least one other person with this issue in another thread. Hopefully it isn't a common defect.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings