Introducing Sonos Amp

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

364 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Very nice, up power and speaker support at 8ohms.
I've never seen Sonos do something like that before, when they've brought out new equipment, but an interesting thought.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
more reading here:-
https://techcrunch.com/2018/08/29/sonos-releases-new-speaker-amp-partners-with-sonance-for-in-wall-speakers/?guccounter=1
Apple offers a trade in program. I think they would be considered a tech manufacturer. 😉
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Good news!
I guess still no multichannel stereo on TV output, isn't it?
Apple offers a trade in program. I think they would be considered a tech manufacturer. ;-)

I don't know the details of this program, but I would guess it's limited to specific products types and models. Are they going to give in trade in options for products that were originally released a decade ago? And they surely do this because they can turn around a resell these as 'refurbished'. It's really not much different then a car dealership accepting your trade in. They aren't going to accept your trade in if there isn't a good market for it.

And following with the automobile market, you could very well do better to sell your old vehicle on the open market then to accept whatever trade in value the dealership is giving you. I would guess you can sell your Connect:Amp on ebay for a better return than whatever you'd get from a trade in with Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
It can handle DD5.1 through hdmi arc, though you may need 2 x amps for full surround.
I'd like to use the Sonos Amp to power some old floor standing Cerwin Vega speakers which I have running at 4Ohms. Can I bridge the right and left channels to run mono at 4Ohms without causing damage to the amplifier of the Sonos Amp? Is it stable at 4Ohms?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I guess still no multichannel stereo on TV output, isn't it?
When using two new Sonos Amps for your home theater, you'd get 4.1 (no audio is discarded, but you wouldn't have a dedicated center channel).

You could also use Amp with a Beam/Playbar/Playbase as the rear channels (wirelessly) to get 5.1.

Very nice, up power and speaker support at 8ohms.
Just checking in, are you asking for more power than the 125W per channel at 8 Ohms? That's over twice what the old Connect:Amp had (55W).
Will Apple allow customers to trade in an iPhone 5 or 8, say, towards an iPhone X, for example?
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
In your description you state this: "with a pair of Sonos One, Play:1, Play:3, or Play:5 to become a surround sound setup that you can use with your TV."

Which I read as capable of 5.1 if I added additional Sonos speakers. But sounds like from your comment above this actually isn't the case?
Well I don't disagree with anything you are saying. But the AMP design may be 10 years old, but my AMPs are 3 months old. It is all about customer service. Everyone wants the newer model and having just purchased them, it feels like a bit of a FU. It would be a nice gesture even if it does really make sense financially. With Amazon, Google and Apple on their heals, it would be in their best interest to make sure they hold onto customers. Just my 2 cents.
Well I don't disagree with anything you are saying. But the AMP design may be 10 years old, but my AMPs are 3 months old. It is all about customer service. Everyone wants the newer model and having just purchased them, it feels like a bit of a FU.

How far back do you think Sonos should offer trade ins? They first announced the product 2 months ago (September) for a February release to regular customers. Should they have given a notice even further out? How much do you need in order to feel good about the situation?

It would be a nice gesture even if it does really make sense financially.

Well sure. But they won't remain in business too long if they keep giving up profit in order to be nice.

With Amazon, Google and Apple on their heals, it would be in their best interest to make sure they hold onto customers. Just my 2 cents.

Are any of these companies offering buyback programs on their speaker products.

Look, I know how you feel. I bought a third party amp in August to go with a Sonos Connect. I would much rather have the Sonos Amp as it fits what I want much better. That's not Sonos fault. You could blame me for not having enough patients, but it's really just the way things work, sometimes not in your favor. But I can live with what I have, repurpose the amp I bought, or sell it.

BTW, looking at ebay, it looks like the Conect:Amp sells for around $300 right now. After shipping and fees, maybe $250. Do you think Sonos should give you that much in buy back? That said, I expect the market will get flooded with used Connect:amps very soon as professional installers switch out Connect:amps for Sonos:Amps with their clients, lowering the price.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
In your description you state this: "with a pair of Sonos One, Play:1, Play:3, or Play:5 to become a surround sound setup that you can use with your TV."

Which I read as capable of 5.1 if I added additional Sonos speakers. But sounds like from your comment above this actually isn't the case?

It is a surround setup with a phantom center channel, as opposed to a dedicated center. The Amp has a lot of versatility and options especially since you can pair two together, or add surrounds like the other home theater speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Apple - they give pennies on the dollar for trade-ins and then sell them to other re-sellers of used phones. Just like any place takes in old tech for cheap. You would get more for most phones or Sonos units on Ebay vs. some trade-in.
You guys can't honestly see a way to make it a win/win? I am not asking them to give me 100% credit, but maybe at 50% I might buy the new AMP, or maybe not, or a repeat customer discount. The fact that I will not buy a new amp for years, if I am not given a reason to should not be lost on Sonos. Just maybe to you guys. 🙂
Hi Sonos team - Product looks amazing and may be a perfect fit for a setup I'm doing. We are doing only three front speakers for a TV (no surround). Would the new amp be able to channel center-left-right? Thanks!
Does Amp support HDMI-eARC?
Badge
Great, however it needs to have inputs for surround sound. Ie front left and right, rear left and right and sub. Missing two inputs. 😞
Badge

You swapped a digital amp for a digital amp abiet with more power.

So the online reviews and others comments on the same issue are all hearing things? Could this amp not have default settings of some sort that are boosting the high end too much?

In the Sonos App settings for the Amp, you can control the source level, from Level 1 (Low) to Level 10 (High). The default is 2, and it’s pretty low.

For line-in you really want Level 8 at least

Another question:

I assume that anything connected through HDMI-ARC will play without any delay in order to be sync with video. With this be an option for sources connected to the RCA inputs as well? It's not crucial, but I can see an advantage for older TVs that don't have ARC or optical, as well as syncing with video from phones and tablets.
You guys can't honestly see a way to make it a win/win? I am not asking them to give me 100% credit, but maybe at 50% I might buy the new AMP, or maybe not, or a repeat customer discount. The fact that I will not buy a new amp for years, if I am not given a reason to should not be lost on Sonos. Just maybe to you guys. :-)

But you can get around 50% back if you sell the Connect:Amp yourself. Why do you need Sonos to do this for you?

Is it possible to create a 4.1 setup using only Sonos speakers. Say play:5s in the front, play:1s in the back, and a Sonos sub? Would you possibly need 2 Amps to get that done? (I know you, you're not using the Amp at all in this configuration)
To make a surround sound setup for Sonos, you need to start with a home theater speaker (Sonos Beam, Playbar, Playbase, and now Amp). You can add to that any of the ones that can be used as surrounds (One, Play:1, Play:3, Play:5 gen2, Connect:Amp, and now Amp). The Amp can be stereo front channels and or stereo rear channels. Also, it's worth noting that center channel audio that is sent to the Amp is going to be split by left and right sides to give you a simulated center channel.

So based on what was bolded above. You can create a 5.1 (with simulated center channel) with a Sonos Amp, 2 Sonos speakers for front, 2 Sonos speakers for rear, and the Sonos sub? (No passive speakers involved and no need for second Amp).

Will there be an option to turn off the simulated center channel when using HDMI-ARC as input?
If your source audio is stereo, you'll get stereo :)

The scenario I'm thinking of is an outdoor tv where the Sonos Amp is connected by HDMI-ARC, but the speakers are located somewhere out in the yard, not to the left and right of the TV. In that scenario, I wouldn't think simulated center would be desired.
Great, however it needs to have inputs for surround sound. Ie front left and right, rear left and right and sub. Missing two inputs. :(

That would be overkill for those who only wish to power 2 speakers, like with the Connect:Amp. This way, if you want surround, you buy two. If you want stereo, you buy one, without the extra expense of a second amplifier.
Does Amp support HDMI-eARC?
It’s an HDMI-ARC port, but any TV with HDMI-eARC is backward compatible with the HDMI-ARC standard.