Software News

Introducing S2, New App and OS for Sonos

Introducing S2, New App and OS for Sonos
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Community Manager
  • 12372 replies

The next generation of Sonos software is now available. Sonos S2 is a new app and an operating system for compatible devices, which brings support for higher resolution audio, saved groups, support for new Sonos products, and more.

Learn more about the Sonos S2 app on our S2 home page.

Support for the newest Sonos products

The all new Sonos Arc, Sonos Five, and Sonos Sub will require the Sonos S2 app. These new players are not supported by the Sonos S1 Controller. 

Saved GroupsE_xiiA0-eGxl3bYMVrr1G9F9tl7UveJiGFkenA4aaBXvnO6j4mbK8foWFmaB49L6CuVPnq_MdFxjaBROg59-cgMsaW3r6fSLZ6wRdien4P7GB9BG2h39jIyLJcF4BNRaKqW-v8Ae

The new S2 app can save groups of rooms to create groups quickly and easily. Once a group is created, you can select it to start playing music and the players will automatically group up. 

High Resolution Audio

With S2, Sonos speakers now have support for high resolution audio, 24-bit, 44.1/48kHz for FLAC/ALAC only. This support is for local music libraries shared from computers and network attached drives. We’ve updated the article on Sonos supported music formats here.

The Sonos Arc is a Dolby Atmos soundbar, and S2 brings support for that audio to Sonos for home theater and music. Dolby Atmos can be read from Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby MAT, and Dolby TrueHD. 

How to get S2

All Sonos systems will be able to update to Sonos version 11.2, which contains some bug fixes and stability improvements. This version is a new S1 update, and compatible with all players. 

Once the 11.2 update is completed, systems compatible with Sonos S2 will receive a notification that the new app is available. You can tap that notification to start updating and the new app which will guide you through updating compatible players to the new platform. If you don’t see the notification banner, you go to System Tools in Settings to check compatibility and update. Sonos S2 is Sonos version 12.0.

You can check our Sonos S2 Compatibility article for a list of products that are compatible with S2.​​​​​

Articles and important information about S2

We will support products on Sonos S1 with bug fixes and security patches, and we will do what we can to ensure they keep working with the music services you love given their limited RAM and processing power.

We’ve put together answers to some of the top questions we’ve seen around S2 here, so please check out the following articles on:

Sonos S2 Overview - A great starting place to learn more about S2.

Sonos S2 Compatibility - Information about the differences between Sonos S2 and S1, including which Sonos products are compatible.

Set up separate S1 and S2 systems - Learn how to set up a separate Sonos S1 system with Sonos products that are not compatible with S2.

Known limitations with separate S1 and S2 Sonos systems - This article covers what you can expect when using two separate S1 and S2 systems.

Set up a separate Sonos S1 system

Remove Sonos products that are not compatible with S2 - Instructions on how to use the product removal tool in the Sonos S1 Controller before updating to Sonos S2.

Information about Trade Up:

If you’re interested in updating older Sonos speakers, here’s all the details on our Trade Up program, a way to get a big discount on any new Sonos products that are S2 compatible.

Trade Up home page - Get a general overview of the Sonos Trade Up program.

Trade Up support article - Step by step instructions on how to trade up your eligible Sonos products.

194 replies

Userlevel 2

So what is the user experience if I have a mixture of new and old equipment which is going to be the majority of us for some time.  Do I have to use one app for the S1 equipment and then the newer S2 for the newer equipment?  How do I sync playing music across that ecosystem?  Thanks

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, 
Was really hoping for 96Khz and DD+…
Thanks @Ryan S 

Userlevel 2
Badge

“Sonos S2 is a new app ... which brings support for higher resolution audio...”  This marketing claim reminds me of the joke about the real estate agent who claims a “Central Park View” but when you look at the apartment, the “view” requires an open window and your head out the window to look down the side of the building.  I hope this gets fixed soon.  

Userlevel 2
Badge

Anyone else having issues with the new S2 app? ... It is completely unusable! ...frustrated!

This is surprising to hear.  I have 11 devices and the switch to S2 was fast and flawless.  In the past, I have found Sonos customer support very helpful. Good luck.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Is there still no support for streaming high res? 24-bit, 44.1/48kHz  FLAC was already supported wasn’t it?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

No local files hires support while SMB remains v1 only. V1 is insecure, out of support and it’s use discouraged on any modern network. Bare in mind v2 was released in 2006 so we’re hardly asking for a quick implementation!

Userlevel 1

Very disappointed you didn’t move to Hi-Res streaming service support, especially with Tidal announcing an expanded Dolby Atmos library this seemed a no brainer. It can’t even be network bandwidth or internet connection issues as modern connections will all support 2 or 3 streams at that bitrate without missing a beat. Mine could support over 30 such streams and still manage 2 Netflix UHD films and usual internet use to boot. So why isn’t it supported?

Very disappointed you didn’t move to Hi-Res streaming service support, especially with Tidal announcing an expanded Dolby Atmos library this seemed a no brainer. It can’t even be network bandwidth or internet connection issues as modern connections will all support 2 or 3 streams at that bitrate without missing a beat. Mine could support over 30 such streams and still manage 2 Netflix UHD films and usual internet use to boot. So why isn’t it supported?

It could very well be that Sonos intends to, but figured that switching to a new system, and releasing 3 new products in the matter of two days ways more than enough for Sonos support to handle.  Sonos could develop and test playback of FLAC from a music library much faster than they could in working with Tidal to support Hi-Res streaming, if Tidal was even willing to work on it right now. I would not be surprised to see this released in the future.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Is S1 App still compatible with older Android Versions albeit with the limited functionality?

No, S2 requires 

• iOS 11 and higher
  • iPadOS 13 and higher
  • Android 7.0 and higher (Sonos app is not supported on Chromebooks)
  • Fire OS 6.2 and higher

The limited compatibility mode for older OS are unable to control systems on S2.

Hi Ryan - it was the S1 App I was asking about?

Apologies, seems I still haven’t had enough coffee yet… Limited compatibility controllers from 11.1 will still be limited with 11.2 (S1). They just can’t work with S2.

Any news about SMB v1 and the 64k limit under S2?

No news. I’ll add you to the list requesting them though.

I have 2 x Play:1, a Play:3 and a Sub, all are apparently compatible with S2 yet S2 says otherwise on my MacOS.

How do I get S2 too work?

Assuming your MacOS X is 10.11 or higher, you can download the S2 Sonos app and use it with your system. If the MacOS isn’t updated, you will need to update your MacOS or use a different controller if you’d like to use S2. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Introducing the crappy new icon you must look at if you don’t upgrade your system.

I realise it’s a double post, but I agree. It seems they went out of their way to show a “faded” icon to indicate that we shouldn’t be using S1 for too long.

Sonos for me right now is like Microsoft was in the past. I still bought a new Windows licence because it seemed like the least worse option, but years later I moved onto better things.

Similar with Sonos, I think a combination of the upgrade programme and not wanting to invest in something more high-end right now makes it just about worth it, but they cannot count on my loyalty without a complete transformation.

So, about S2, will it fix these problems?

• Spotify (and sometimes YouTube) skipping tracks. I’ve seen numerous threads on this and the problem seems to have gone away for now, but I could never understand how this can happen with five Sonos players ALL wired in to a reliable Ethernet network and broadband connection. I discovered that Amazon music was immune to the problem and just used that for a while.
  • The fact that it can take up to a minute of frustration to get my playlist off repeat each day, because for some stupid reason they changed the alarm clock to auto-enable repeat with no option not to, and for some insane reason neither the Android nor the OS X controllers get a reliable response to the repeat button. (Support long since contacted and unable to help.)
  • The fear I feel every time I use the app while music is already playing, because it’s insanely easy to interrupt the current track with a single press. The dots are too easy to miss although a long press is a bit safer. Sonos used to be fun at parties until they changed this.
  • The weird habit of inserting a new track second in the list. e.g. if I have tracks A1, A2 and A3 in the queue and A3 is playing, and I play B1, then I end up with A1, B1, A2, A3.
  • Alarm hidden away in system settings

In short, never mind new features, can I expect the usability and lack of bugs that we used to enjoy in the heyday of Sonos (first five or so years after I got my first ZP80 and CR100)?

This new Sonos S2 software is absolute sh*t! 

99% of the time it dosen’t work. There are too many issues to list but here are a few; if I try to change a station on XM radio or move to a different music service, all hell breaks loose. The system will go into a time-out or say it can’t connect. Or when it finally does connect some of the the speakers take minutes to catch up. And then it skips or I can’t control the volume. This new up-date has made listing to music very irritating and frustrating for my family. 

We have 6 smaller speakers and one sound bar which are basically “bricked” with the new software and I expect Sonos to issue me a refund because they are useless without working Software. 

:frowning2:

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Anyone else having issues with the new S2 app? I made to ultimate mistake of upgrading to the S2 app and for 3 days now I have been trying to use it! It is completely unusable! It does not connect to any of my 13 players! I have reset all 13 players one by one and tried to add them back, not working! this is very disappointing to say the least. this app does not work with any of my phones. I got a new Boost yesterday and it won't even find it. frustrated!

I too am surprised. The upgrade to S2 was flawless for me too, and I have a very complex setup with 16 audio components and two Boosts spread over two buildings. I’ve had a few dropouts while playing, but by-and-large these are related to my internet connection and so far it’s better than what I was experiencing before S2 was introduced. Along with @Invinoveritasty, I suggest you settle in with a call to Sonos tech support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Any news about SMB v1 and the 64k limit under S2?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Disappointing. I was hoping S2 would at least support 24/96 so I could justify upgrading the Connect that I’m using as a Roon endpoint to a Port. Also sounds like the need for high res audio To be local may preclude that idea anyway...

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

One change at a time, they only have a finite amount of support staff. I’ve now got a split system, works fine for me with a few speaker moves.

Wrong change, wrong time. The number of streamers using Sonos speakers far outnumbers those playing files from their local libraries. Streaming is the present, playing files stored on a hard drive is the past. Most businesses support the majority of their customer base, not the minority. 

Badge

I really, really, really dislike the darker background colour in the new app.  It’s like you listened to all the people that want dark mode and decided for something in the middle that will make everybody unhappy. Or maybe it’s just me that is baffled and horrified by the new Sonos branding and ubiquitous weird background colours.  

Worst update ever

I stupidly updated my system to the new software and the new S2 app. It worked for a few days but now I can’t stream any music, radio etc. 

Will this be fixed at some point hopefully soon? People are not exactly giving great reviews on the various forums and app stores at the moment. Stupid way to kill an otherwise nice system 

What is going on?

I can't find a way to get a ticket open to explain why a speaker that worked yesterday now disappeared and is both not reset (when it is) and has been fine for 2 weeks since app update. 

This is utterly ridiculous. I had a different speaker drop yesterday and magically reappear. 

Sonos support now none existant and only available by calling the USA what is this ?? 

I really, really, really dislike the darker background colour in the new app.  It’s like you listened to all the people that want dark mode and decided for something in the middle that will make everybody unhappy. Or maybe it’s just me that is baffled and horrified by the new Sonos branding and ubiquitous weird background colours.  

Horrified?

Badge

Horrified?

Yes sir, I am not a fan of black text on a rather dark gray background.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

The S2 app on the iphone doesn’t work at all for me. The app is frozen, even after reinstalling it. The S1 doesn’t work either says it’s not compatible with my system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing like getting screwed over just to upgrade.

“Sonos S2 is a new app ... which brings support for higher resolution audio...”  This marketing claim reminds me of the joke about the real estate agent who claims a “Central Park View” but when you look at the apartment, the “view” requires an open window and your head out the window to look down the side of the building.  I hope this gets fixed soon.  

Isn’t the hoax here the so-called hi-res audio by itself ? I thought it was proven a long time ago that going over 16 bit / 44 kHz provided no practical advantage.

However lossless encoding support has benefits.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Is S1 App still compatible with older Android Versions albeit with the limited functionality?

No, S2 requires 

• iOS 11 and higher
  • iPadOS 13 and higher
  • Android 7.0 and higher (Sonos app is not supported on Chromebooks)
  • Fire OS 6.2 and higher

The limited compatibility mode for older OS are unable to control systems on S2.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

I’ll pass along the suggestion for you, tiago. Amazon Music HD on Sonos plays at 16-bit/44.1kHz FLAC, that hasn’t changed with S2, though I’ll add a request for that for you.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have been holding up on purchasing new Sonos gear to test S2 and hi-res streaming.  I had a fear that after the bricking fiasco, Sonos might “reserve” hi-res streaming its next generation speakers in order to push new sales.  If that is their gambit, I’ll be done with Sonos.  UI of S2 looks nice, I don’t see any improvement for music streaming.