Software News

Introducing S2, New App and OS for Sonos

Introducing S2, New App and OS for Sonos

Show first post

233 replies

“Sonos S2 is a new app ... which brings support for higher resolution audio...”  This marketing claim reminds me of the joke about the real estate agent who claims a “Central Park View” but when you look at the apartment, the “view” requires an open window and your head out the window to look down the side of the building.  I hope this gets fixed soon.  

Isn’t the hoax here the so-called hi-res audio by itself ? I thought it was proven a long time ago that going over 16 bit / 44 kHz provided no practical advantage.

However lossless encoding support has benefits.

So what is the user experience if I have a mixture of new and old equipment which is going to be the majority of us for some time.  Do I have to use one app for the S1 equipment and then the newer S2 for the newer equipment?  How do I sync playing music across that ecosystem?  Thanks

There is no ability to sync an S2 system with an S1 system.  They are 2 separate systems with 2 separate apps. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Is S1 App still compatible with older Android Versions albeit with the limited functionality?

No, S2 requires 

• iOS 11 and higher
  • iPadOS 13 and higher
  • Android 7.0 and higher (Sonos app is not supported on Chromebooks)
  • Fire OS 6.2 and higher

The limited compatibility mode for older OS are unable to control systems on S2.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

I’ll pass along the suggestion for you, tiago. Amazon Music HD on Sonos plays at 16-bit/44.1kHz FLAC, that hasn’t changed with S2, though I’ll add a request for that for you.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have been holding up on purchasing new Sonos gear to test S2 and hi-res streaming.  I had a fear that after the bricking fiasco, Sonos might “reserve” hi-res streaming its next generation speakers in order to push new sales.  If that is their gambit, I’ll be done with Sonos.  UI of S2 looks nice, I don’t see any improvement for music streaming.

There are some on Facebook suggesting that reversion from S2 back to S1 might be possible. Can anyone confirm please?

At this time, it appears that factory resetting an S2 device allows it to be added to back an S1 system.  However, this is not what it says in the Sonos FAQ, and we do not know how long this will be possible.  

Thanks. Has that been reported by someone who actually did it, or just people supposing it is possible?

Me, for one.

There are some on Facebook suggesting that reversion from S2 back to S1 might be possible. Can anyone confirm please?

At this time, it appears that factory resetting an S2 device allows it to be added to back an S1 system.  However, this is not what it says in the Sonos FAQ, and we do not know how long this will be possible.  

Thanks. Has that been reported by someone who actually did it, or just people supposing it is possible?

It’s been done by a couple different people.  I have done it myself.

If you are not running an S1 system, you can uninstall the S1 app.

what about music from turntable connected to line-in of a Play:5 2nd generation? How is converted?

In uncompressed mode it is converted to 16 bit, 44.1 kHz WAV.  Which is overkill, considering vinyl has a maximum dynamic range equal to about 14 bits.  

what about music from turntable connected to line-in of a Play:5 2nd generation? How is converted?

In uncompressed mode it is converted to 16 bit, 44.1 kHz WAV.  Which is overkill, considering vinyl has a maximum dynamic range equal to about 14 bits.  

12 bits. Around 70dB tops.

12 bits. Around 70dB tops.

But it has a frequency response of zero to infinity! (Or so I’ve been told. :yum: )

Ah, that’ll mean 12/384 then. :wink:

The lack of SMB2 completely is a disaster at this point. Almost every new NAS, and every default Win10 is SMB2/3.SMB1 is a security nightmare. There is no reason that Sonos has to be this far behind.

RipVanW,

Just to add that my Sonos system is stable and working just fine here and it’s not a huge technical issue to change & ‘fix’ a routers 2.4ghz non-overlapping WiFi channel or it’s channel-width and it’s straightforward to switch the SonosNet channel, if any single Sonos product is wired, which in turn switches all over to STP SonosNet.

I’m fairly sure my young grandson could do those kind of things and reserving/fixing a devices IP address in the routers DHCP table, within the configuration pages, is often just a tick-box too these days, but I know some folk do not like to ‘mess’ with such things. I guess it’s then time to call someone into help… my wife calls that a GALMI - “get a little man in”. (Which is regarded as sexist these days too).

Anyhow most, if not all, routers have online user-manuals and there’s even 5 minute YouTube videos showing folk what they need to do - which is basically logging onto a (routers) webpage via a web browser, or App, and change a drop-down Wifi channel list from ‘Auto’ to channel 1 and hit ‘save’ to store the setting.

In kassey22000’s case he had chosen to wire many of his devices, which in some cases, if not thought through, or planned correctly, may sometimes cause loops and network storms and perhaps make matters worse, rather than better. Hence my suggestion was perhaps not to cable some individual devices, but perhaps look at wired access points placed in strategic places in the home that would extend the wireless coverage instead.

Personally speaking, I find the SonosNet spanning tree protocol provides more than adequate connection for all my devices and most of the Sonos connection matrix shows green - meaning all the connections are doing fine.🤞

Calling on a GALMI though, which can sometimes just be a good mate, or a work colleague etc; is sometimes a good last resort, if you’re unsure about all things involving home ‘networking’ ...and perhaps don’t wish/choose to dabble in/with yourself.

With a good secure, stable network at it’s base, Sonos products will all work really well together.

kassey22000, 

In my humble (non-expert) opinion I still think this will ‘likely’ all come down to your local network and its got little to do with whether ‘other’ wired, or wireless, devices work just fine on your network and communicate with the internet, or not etc. This is about multiple products successfully communicating/streaming across the same subnet and online. Sonos controllers for example and your devices communicate using SSDP, (the UPnP discovery protocol). This is sent as UDP multicast and broadcast and if those packets are not getting through, then that in itself may cause issues for you, this is in addition to other factors of network bandwidth for streaming and the various forms of wireless interference. Even interference around your self-laid cat-6 wiring should not be excluded.

It should not be all that difficult (at least in most cases) to use a combination of both wireless and wired access points to get 16 devices connecting well and transversing a wallboard & stick-frame built home - I’ve truthfully managed to do it here with more Sonos products and with a home that has brick/breeze-block walls, as hopefully my matrix (attached) shows (I’ve just blurred my devices/Mac addresses for security reasons - it’s not a complete matrix (sorry) - I just can’t show all devices on my iPad screen capture, but hopefully it will provide an overall impression for you to perhaps see.

I clearly cannot comment on those who may have provided you with advice in the past, except it’s usually the case that Sonos Staff are not responsible for your home network subnet and cannot change your other ‘devices’ settings etc; or position wired, or wireless, access points to get a desired stable network outcome. Relocating ‘other’ home-networked devices ‘out the way’ and on other wireless bands, or subnets, is not something Sonos (or any other company) would do for you. 

These things will always come down to yourself (the local system administrator) and it’s for you to achieve a stable networking platform, not Sonos ...such matters are outside their product support remit.

No one here can likely confirm if any advice provided to you, has been correctly given, or followed either, at least ‘perhaps’ not without a site visit (to see things in situ) and look at your current setup - Only so much can be achieved via remote access to a site.

I can only finish here by stating that on a stable network platform, it’s been my own experience, that small and even large S1/S2 Sonos Systems will work (and do work) absolutely fine. I’m sure that’s not just my own experience either. I have helped to setup several systems for both family and friends and they have not had any issues either. There are also many experienced community users here too, who I’m sure will ‘likely’ confirm that is the case for their own Sonos systems aswell. In fact I understand that some here, run multiple Sonos Households around their homes, either on the same, or different, network subnets without any significant issues like the ones you appear to mention in your posts in both this and some other community threads.

I really cannot add much more. I do accept you are (clearly) having issues with your system, but my own thoughts and suggestions are to get someone with a fresh pair of eyes and a reasonable understanding of home networking to perhaps take a close on-site look at your home network setup and maybe seek a different opinion and approach to hopefully help solve your problems. I really do think it will ‘likely’ turn out to be a local network-based issue, rather than something that Sonos may need to resolve.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Worst update ever

I stupidly updated my system to the new software and the new S2 app. It worked for a few days but now I can’t stream any music, radio etc. 

Will this be fixed at some point hopefully soon? People are not exactly giving great reviews on the various forums and app stores at the moment. Stupid way to kill an otherwise nice system 

If it worked at first, and stopped after a few days, I would check your router/wifi environment rather than blame the app. I suspect IP address conflicts, which can be resolved by powering down all speakers and router. Reboot router and wait for it to fully restart. Then power up speakers one at a time, letting each fully restart before powering the next. 

My system worked almost flawlessly with the old app and I’m not the only one having problems with S2.
I can’t even keep up with all the bugs that are happening because just about every time I try to use it a new issue occurs.  

For instance, 2 nights ago the bedroom TV sounbar began playing the TV program on every speaker in the house and I never changed a setting to make this occur. 

On some speaker, even though I have the indicator light switched off they will appear at random times. 

This isn’t a little thing, it’s a major problem for me when your system basically stops working.  I‘Ve done the resets and troubleshooting and it’s still the same. 

So what is the user experience if I have a mixture of new and old equipment which is going to be the majority of us for some time.  Do I have to use one app for the S1 equipment and then the newer S2 for the newer equipment?  How do I sync playing music across that ecosystem?  Thanks

It is awful.   It rarely recognises my sonos kit and then it picks and chooses what it wants to recognoise,  onew day the kitchen the next the sittign room another day a bedroom.   And even then it rarely allows me access to my music files or radio station.

Strangly the app on my phone works ok so I thought maybe it is a network connection but that makes no sense when the old app worked fine and this one is a disaster.

I’ve had S1/S2 systems on the same LAN since S2 began and the S1 components (that are compatible also with S2 - Play:1’s for example) have not ever self-upgraded to S2. I have moved compatible devices between the two systems, both upgrading and downgrading their firmware and there’s plenty of information on how to go about that on the forum here.

Even if a controller app is factory reset, it asks the user to press the ‘join’ or ‘play/pause’ button to connect it back to whichever system is required, that’s of course if there are two or more systems running (and seen) on the LAN, if it only see’s the one HH it will connect to that and I suspect that’s what may have happened in this case - the “about box” in the App clearly shows which system a controller is linked to and I think that maybe should have been checked before running any suggested updates particularly when setting up an S2 controller app. 

Anyhow all is still not lost🤞in these circumstances, that’s as long as there is one non compatible S2 device that still exists (not a Bridge, ideally) as that will be needed to initiate the downgrade process to S1 using the ‘correct’ steps, which as I recall begin with removing the S2 controller App (or at least it used to, but I haven’t done a downgrade in a while to test the process hasn’t recently altered).

In a good many situations, it’s often perhaps easier to stick with S2, as there’s every chance a user will mistakenly upgrade some of their components to S2 again anyway, that’s if they are not entirely clear on what they are seeing in some messages/aspects that appear on screen. It’s important to read the text that is presented during setup/update, or mistakes can be made, despite the various (sometimes repeated) ‘warnings’ that the app presents on screen.

Worst update ever

I stupidly updated my system to the new software and the new S2 app. It worked for a few days but now I can’t stream any music, radio etc. 

Will this be fixed at some point hopefully soon? People are not exactly giving great reviews on the various forums and app stores at the moment. Stupid way to kill an otherwise nice system 

If it worked at first, and stopped after a few days, I would check your router/wifi environment rather than blame the app. I suspect IP address conflicts, which can be resolved by powering down all speakers and router. Reboot router and wait for it to fully restart. Then power up speakers one at a time, letting each fully restart before powering the next. 

Thank you for the advice. It worked for approximately one day. Now the app rarely connects to anything and if it connects, it only lasts for a short while. Really a deal breaker especially since I had absolutely no issues with the old S1 app. Anyways, I’m sure they will prioritize this and get it fixed before the bad publicity spirals out of control....

Finally I found the solution for Hi-res and MQA streaming compatibility. 

https://www.bluesound.com

As with most ‘solutions’ - they have a tendency to ‘evaporate’...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Will our old “Docks” and “CR100s” work with the “new” S1 App / Controller software?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

No. Those products have been retired, long ago.

I only ask because when I looked up “About Your System” on the Sonos website, it seems to indicate that the CR100s and Docks are compatible with S1.

Scrolling down the list of items in our system we see:-

1. The Boost, Sub and a few more show as OK with S2.
  2. The Playbar, Play 1s, Play 3s, and a few more show as S2 compatible but “Upgrade Eligible get 15% off”
  3. The ZonePlayers 100s, ZonePlayers 80s, CR200s, Play 5s (1st Gen) and others are not S2 compatible and say “ Sonos S1 Only” and “Upgrade Eligible get 30% off”.
  4. For the CR100s and Docks it says “Sonos S1 Only”. (No mention of being upgrade eligible, presumably because they were subject to older upgrade offer years ago?).

Anyway because the Sonos analysis of our system says that our CR100s work with:- “Sonos S1 Only”, the implication seems to be that the “new” S1 software has been modified to be backwardly compatible with the CR100s and Dock as well as the ZonePlayer 100, ZonePlayer 80 etc.

This is why I have asked Sonos to confirm if this is the case or not.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

“Sonos S2 is a new app ... which brings support for higher resolution audio...”  This marketing claim reminds me of the joke about the real estate agent who claims a “Central Park View” but when you look at the apartment, the “view” requires an open window and your head out the window to look down the side of the building.  I hope this gets fixed soon.  

I think it’s more like Central Park view because the building across the street blocking the view is going to be demolished and not replaced, but they haven’t done it yet (or maybe partially done, because you can get hi-res from your own sources at the moment).

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

My experiences with Sonos support are different. Maybe if you post a new thread explaining what problem you encountered the community can help? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Finally I found the solution for Hi-res and MQA streaming compatibility. 

https://www.bluesound.com

As with most ‘solutions’ - they have a tendency to ‘evaporate’...

Indeed no more issue and happy with my real Hi-fi sound. My jazz collections never sound better. 

Last but not least, bluesound doesn't use a separate wifi network like Sonos, and I never had any interferences issues. You know the BIG and only excuse used by Sonos support why your system isn't working properly. Obviously you cannot be a sound and network engineers in the same time. Pathetic.