Introducing PLAYBASE

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

97 replies

Badge
I currently don't have a PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE, but looking into buying one for my living room. If I have a TV already wall-mounted, would it still make sense to purchase a PLAYBASE to sit on the TV stand in front of the wall-mounted TV?

I'd prefer not to mount a PLAYBAR below the TV and I probably will not purchase the SONOS sub. From what I've heard the PLAYBASE does has slightly more bass than the PLAYBAR.
HI.
Wondering.... I have a nice Onkyo amp and good pair of speakers that I use with a center channel speaker (which I do not like, and is awkwardly placed behind the TV). I have the Connect and so can stream music.... but I was wondering: Can I use this PlayBase as a center channel, as ouput from the Onkyo? (then I'd sell the Connect)
Badge
Will I be able to use my Panasonic TV remote with the playbase or will I need to use the app to control volume?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Divsec. Not a lot of info given to respond to but if it is a regular ir remote then you will be able to.
Badge
Thanks Chris, don't know what else I can say about a Panasonic TV. It's rectangular, plasma, obviously has optical output else why consider this product at all, as it has optical it also has hdmi and it has internet but then it needs neither for Sonos kit. I haven't seen any literature confirming the standard IR zapper would you be very kind and provide a link to your info source.

Thanks again for yourhelp:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If it's a little bit older plasma I would say it certainly is just an ir remote. You could certainly test as point remote away from tv or try and use in another room and it shouldn't work.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
HI.
Wondering.... I have a nice Onkyo amp and good pair of speakers that I use with a center channel speaker (which I do not like, and is awkwardly placed behind the TV). I have the Connect and so can stream music.... but I was wondering: Can I use this PlayBase as a center channel, as ouput from the Onkyo? (then I'd sell the Connect)

The Playbase is a center and L/R so you wouldn't use both. You'd have to rig up the speakers to a Connect and then deal with possible sync issues. Replace all three front speakers or nothing at all.
Hi does this work with the new surround sound versions such as DTS etc, and is the software future proof?? that was the main reason i did not buy the play bar??

We posted at just about the same time, but take a look at my answer above. While we don't plan to support DTS, we definitely believe the PLAYBASE and the PLAYBAR for that matter to be future proof. Sonos products are designed to sound great and last while continuing to get better. Players continue to get software updates long into their lifetime, including our first players ever produced that continue to be supported. More and more video these days is consumed through streaming services, none of which support the DTS codecs.

I Bought a Chromecast ultra (the last generation) and I can't watch Netflix in 5.1 because my sonos playbar can't reproduce dts+ sound. so I have to watch it in PCM.

My Sonos system sounds great, but I'm limited to use some products because they can't convert the sound to dolby.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Hi does this work with the new surround sound versions such as DTS etc, and is the software future proof?? that was the main reason i did not buy the play bar??

We posted at just about the same time, but take a look at my answer above. While we don't plan to support DTS, we definitely believe the PLAYBASE and the PLAYBAR for that matter to be future proof. Sonos products are designed to sound great and last while continuing to get better. Players continue to get software updates long into their lifetime, including our first players ever produced that continue to be supported. More and more video these days is consumed through streaming services, none of which support the DTS codecs.

I Bought a Chromecast ultra (the last generation) and I can't watch Netflix in 5.1 because my sonos playbar can't reproduce dts+ sound. so I have to watch it in PCM.

I found a workaround by feeding my DTS signal through my Xbox One and then out to the PLAYBASE. This requires a switch (HDMI or optical) for my setup. Not straightforward and far from ideal but I'm lucky I already had an Xbox or I wouldn've been exceptionally frustrated.

I found a workaround by feeding my DTS signal through my Xbox One and then out to the PLAYBASE. This requires a switch (HDMI or optical) for my setup. Not straightforward and far from ideal but I'm lucky I already had an Xbox or I wouldn've been exceptionally frustrated.

I don't have an xbox and my ps4 doesn't have a hdmi IN , so the only way to connect my chromecast is by my hdmi tv input.. 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
This flies in the face somewhat, to sonos's statement that they are only interested in streaming support for films from Netflix etc, as then there is no DTS issue. Then when you do there is no 5.1 sound either.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
I do see sonos's point. I have not turned on my DVD for at least 18 months and tend to watch films on Netflix or Amazon from the tv's service meaning 5.1 works great. The only fly in the ointment is the sky box's Dolby can't get through the tv but that's not really sonos's fault.

If only Samsung et al would stop crippling their tv's.
Is anyone else suffering with low volume levels when connecting a Sky Q box to their Playbase?
Using Spotify the sound is great and more than adequate running at around 50% volume. From a Sky Q box I have to use around 90% volume for normal day to day watching. Same issue running an Xbox One. Either passing audio through an AV receiver or direct to the Playbase.....Also using with 2 Play 1's as surrounds, any ideas Sonos?
I'll get a Playbase when Alexa support is released...

HAHA
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I'll get a Playbase when Alexa support is released...

HAHA

Great to hear! It's coming later this year so you should be able to add Sonos sound to your TV soon. We'll be sharing more as everything develops.
Hi. Curious. We "watch tv" through a new roku UHD box. We don't have a 4k tv yet but already own a couple of Play 1s. I'm thinking about the Playbase and sub. If I connect the Playbase to the Roku box (which has an optical out port), then streaming services (Netflix, HBOGo, Hulu, Amazon, etc) will be able to play in 5.1 sound when that mode is toggled?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
So long as the Roku has the Dolby setting you should be good to go. Are you using one of the most recent Roku versions?

From our home theater mega-thread:

The Roku player can output Dolby Digital + 5.1 to your TV through the HDMI cable. To do so, head into the settings menu then set the audio mode to “Auto” or “Surround sound.” As long as your TV passes Dolby Digital through its optical port the PLAYBAR will play in surround sound.
Just installed ours. Awesome addition to the Master Bedroom. Nice work team Sonos. Nice work indeed.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
So I'm standing in Best Buy right now and I just noticed the new Playbase demo set up... Holy crap guys this thing sounds fantastic! It's a little bigger than I imagined and the bass is amazing! Very nice hardware! Great job, I love it!
Badge
Will the PLAYBASE work with my projector?
Does your projector have a digital S/PDIF optical output?

I thought that Netflix and Co do only support Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) which is only supported via HDMI, am I wrong? Does the Playbase support DD+?
Devices capable of reading DD+ can almost universally convert it to Dolby Digital 5.1 to send over optical. Optical doesn't quite have the bandwidth necessary for DD+, though technically speaking, if somehow a DD+ signal got to the PLAYBASE or PLAYBAR they could play it.

Still not sure what the verdict is here. Does the Playbase play nice with projectors? How about the Sony VPLHW45ES?
fido, it really depends on the projector. I looked at the Sony VPLHW45ES online, and it doesn't look like it has an optical audio output, so it wouldn't be able to pass sound to PLAYBASE (or PLAYBAR, for that matter).

The other issue you want to consider, even if the projector supports an optical output, is that PLAYBASE (and PLAYBAR) is meant to sit under your TV at the front of the room and pass the front channels. Projectors generally project from the rear of the room, so you'd have to consider a wiring configuration that would allow it to be wired to the PLAYBASE at the front of the room.
we have decided to not support DTS on PLAYBASE as we do not believe it offers a better listening experience for the majority of our owners.
It may not offer a better listening experience than DD, but it offers a better listening experience than nothing or stereo which is what you get when Sonos doesn't support it. Acting like I can just choose to listen to my Bluray audio track in DD 5.1 is disingenuous.