Introducing PLAYBASE

Show first post

97 replies

Ryan S wrote:

Devices capable of reading DD+ can almost universally convert it to Dolby Digital 5.1 to send over optical. Optical doesn't quite have the bandwidth necessary for DD+, though technically speaking, if somehow a DD+ signal got to the PLAYBASE or PLAYBAR they could play it.

Thanks for your feedback. I use an Apple TV 4, which has HDMI only. But it is connected to my Sony Bravia TV which has an optical out. So if I connect the playbase to my TV, I will at least get Dolby Digital 5.1 (if the source send DD+) - is that right? Or do I have to buy an Audio-Extractor (e.g. http://amzn.to/2lGI9BU) to connect the playbase with an Apple TV 4?

Another question, is it possible to join Sonos speakers to a full 5.1 setup then? (Playbase as center, 2x Play:5 as front, 2x Play:1 as rear + Sub)?
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
YooaCk wrote:

Ryan S wrote:

Devices capable of reading DD+ can almost universally convert it to Dolby Digital 5.1 to send over optical. Optical doesn't quite have the bandwidth necessary for DD+, though technically speaking, if somehow a DD+ signal got to the PLAYBASE or PLAYBAR they could play it.

Thanks for your feedback. I use an Apple TV 4, which has HDMI only. But it is connected to my Sony Bravia TV which has an optical out. So if I connect the playbase to my TV, I will at least get Dolby Digital 5.1 (if the source send DD+) - is that right? Or do I have to buy an Audio-Extractor (e.g. http://amzn.to/2lGI9BU) to connect the playbase with an Apple TV 4?

Another question, is it possible to join Sonos speakers to a full 5.1 setup then? (Playbase as center, 2x Play:5 as front, 2x Play:1 as rear + Sub)?

You have to check that your Sony Bravia will PASS DD5.1 or DD+ through to the optical output. What Ryan S was saying was that IF the Playbar receives a DD+ signal it will play (But it WON'T because the optical cable isn't capable - He's really saying that if it gets through then it isn't really DD+).

NO, in Sonos system you can't add Front speakers
Badge
I'm confused.... how is the playbase 699 dollars in the usa, and 699 pounds in the uk!!!! The pound is not level with the dollar ?!?!
chrisredmayne wrote:

I'm confused.... how is the playbase 699 dollars in the usa, and 699 pounds in the uk!!!! The pound is not level with the dollar ?!?!

List prices in the US do not include any taxes. Sales taxes are applied individually by the state/locality at time of purchase. On the other hand, list prices in the UK include VAT and import taxes. If you calculate for the current exchange + VAT + import taxes, the US and British prices are actually within a few pounds of each other, a difference which Sonos has stated is due to rounding.
Badge
jgatie wrote:

chrisredmayne wrote:

List prices in the US do not include any taxes. Sales taxes are applied individually by the state/locality at time of purchase. On the other hand, list prices in the UK include VAT and import taxes. If you calculate for the current exchange + VAT + import taxes, the US and British prices are actually within a few pounds of each other, a difference which Sonos has stated is due to rounding.

Hope you're right with that, after the recent price hikes it would be bad to put this too high too! Sounds like a bargain IF it sounds as good as the playbar with a bit more bass, if it doesn't need the sub too it would be amazing! Will have to go for a demo once it's out I think so see how it compares, the playbar and sub together would be hard to match!
chrisredmayne wrote:

Hope you're right with that, after the recent price hikes it would be bad to put this too high too! Sounds like a bargain IF it sounds as good as the playbar with a bit more bass, if it doesn't need the sub too it would be amazing! Will have to go for a demo once it's out I think so see how it compares, the playbar and sub together would be hard to match!

!00% right. Sales taxes is administered by each state (or county, or even municipality) and vary by each (from none at all up to around 10% in places like New York City). They also only apply to certain items in certain states (clothes are exempt in some states, not in others. Same with medicines, health items, food, etc). Therefore, a list price cannot accurately display the cost, so they list it without any taxes at all. The taxes are then calculated at time of sale and entered as a separate line item on a receipt. It's just the way it is done in the US in order to account for all the varying tax rates. It can be jarring for tourists that see one price and get charged another, but it's everyday normal for us in the states.
Badge
jgatie wrote:

funboxfilms wrote:

so this got me a bit frustrated yesterday so I looked around and found this on git hub and I just spent all last night hacking my sonos network so now I it works with echo , here is he link to the git if anyone is interested ! I don't understand the big hold up for this company to release something that we want and is so simple and already open sourced https://github.com/rgraciano/echo-sonos

Why would you post this off topic post in an announcement thread? And the reason the Alexa integration is taking so long is because it is a full integration with Alexa, not a half-baked skill off github.

Because this was the thread I have been replying in, and as a customer that wants to see faster advancements and releases I feel we are obligated to share. its not like there is thousands of people replying to this announcement, part of the reason I went with sonos was because its smaller and at SXSW talking to these guys was a big part of it. I'm just standing up to my investment and want to see it succeed.
Stuart_W wrote:

You have to check that your Sony Bravia will PASS DD5.1 or DD+ through to the optical output. What Ryan S was saying was that IF the Playbar receives a DD+ signal it will play (But it WON'T because the optical cable isn't capable - He's really saying that if it gets through then it isn't really DD+).

NO, in Sonos system you can't add Front speakers

Thanks, this helps a lot to make a decision. I found the information that all Sony Bravia TVs will pass DD 5.1 via optical output, when receiving it via HDMI while DTS signals will be converted to Stereo/PCM. Unfortunately I found no information what will happen with DD+. That is all a little bit to technical for me, so I stop here. Now I just have to make the decision if I will just buy and try, or if I wait another 3 years for the Playbase 2 with HDMI (if HDMI is still up-to-date in 3 years ;)
Hope SONOS will not start production of PLAYBASE which is not suitable for the 100 current types of TV in the market!!!!!!! The problem of the PLAYBAR is not how to be placed under TV. It must have serious update for upcoming years (DTS -X, Dolby atmos and HDR compatability). People who had such old tv, have solved this issue with FLEXSON TV Stand. For what you have made a new design which is already being solved. Please check yourself seriously SONOS!!! and produce & present really good PRODUCTS. Our expectation is so high from YOU!!!!!!!
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Sonos tout their speakers as lasting a good 10 years. Question is how many TV will have optical in the future ? Apple TV already dropped it and probably TV will do the same in the coming years as an outdated connection which no longer has the capacity to support the HD sound formats of the future. Future proof it most definitely is not.
kkoraysaglam wrote:

Hope SONOS will not start production of PLAYBASE which is not suitable for the 100 current types of TV in the market!!!!!!!

You do not seriously believe Sonos were going to introduce some operational prototype.
Looks great - was hesitating over the playbar, however this is a much better proposition! A quick question if I may. I have a 65" Samsung UE65JU7580TXZG which is both quiet heavy, 30.6 kg according to the specs, and has a large foot stand which I believe will extend beyond the base. Apart from aesthetics would there be any problem in supporting the weight? Thanks in advance.
Smilja wrote:

kkoraysaglam wrote:

Hope SONOS will not start production of PLAYBASE which is not suitable for the 100 current types of TV in the market!!!!!!!

You do not seriously believe Sonos were going to introduce some operational prototype.

Smilja wrote:

kkoraysaglam wrote:

I DO NOT WANNA BELIEVE. (You should understand that im taking into Sonos & People's attention,like you!!) Sonos is not deserving to be in such position in the market. When you read the question just over my message (markie.mark) may be you can understand better what im meaning. People who designed PLAYBASE, they have not see such simple problems??? and adding why they havent made really good projection for the future??? Finally people who is buying Sonos, they can easily add SUB to their system which is far better than PLAYBASE's sub so, whats the meaning of adding simple sub and make it larger with having not suitable design???
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Interesting comments from The Verge here..
Maybe, along with the new CEO, it will take more comments like this in 'mainstream' media for Sonos to wake up.
Interesting comments, such as:....

But I can’t get over how ancient the Playbase is as a technology product — it’s a $700 connected speaker that only supports 2.4GHz b/g WiFi because the SonosNet mesh protocol hasn’t been updated for modern networks. It also lacks HDMI in favor of optical input and doesn’t support surround codecs like DTS. It’s basically a Playbar in a bigger box with more speakers. Which is great and I’m sure some people will buy it, but the Playbar came out in 2013 — it’s fair to wonder why Sonos is still shipping the same basic capability set four years later.
What’s more, the Playbase really only makes sense if you have other Sonos products in your house — if you just want a better speaker in a giant box under your TV, it’s actually hard to spend more than $500 on a highly-rated competing model from Yamaha or Sony or ZVOX. (My mother-in-law has a ZVOX, it’s dead-simple and sounds great.)
And if you want to use the Playbase as the heart of a 5.1 system, you’ll end up spending a wild $1,800: $700 for the Playbase, $700 for the Sonos Sub, and $200 each for Play 1s as surround speakers. And you still won’t get HDMI switching or modern surround codecs like DTS or Dolby Atmos for that money.
You could just buy a highly-rated soundbar system with rear speakers and a subwoofer in the box and a $349 Sonos Connect to integrate your streaming music and come out anywhere from $500 to $1000 ahead.
So who is this for? Someone who already has a Sonos system and doesn’t mind paying a huge premium to add another Sonos-integrated speaker under their TV? That seems like a tiny market — especially when Amazon is rumored to be working on a new Echo with better speakers, an idea that is blindingly obvious to everyone.

Userlevel 1
Badge
This is very confusing. I agree with most of what The Verge had to say. I cannot imagine Sonos has received masses of requests for another old tech Playbar substitute. Do they read comments anymore? How about some creativity Sonos?
Userlevel 1
Badge
The only thing I can think of that explains this is that either:

-Sonos has taken the position to be focused solely on music and therefore home theater enhancements like DTS capability and HDMI etc.. are not prioritized

OR

-the management team has been in their own little bubble filled with yes-men/women who've ignored criticisms about their equipment.

In either case-- They've missed the mark. Hopefully the new CEO is able to see the massive opportunity in improving their home theater capabilities. That being said, the executives from RIM weren't exactly known for their ability to identify market trends or think outside the box so... guess we'll see.

A little out of the box thinking but something as simple as reaching out to Oppo when they were designing their UDP-203 and seeing if they could help them include DTS to DD 5.1 transcoding as a feature in that player in exchange for SONOS championing that device for all its Home Theater customers could have gone a LONG way towards restoring credibility of the home theater space. It wouldn't take any change to the Sonos hardware, and they'd be able to associate themselves with one of the best brands in high end video right now.
Any idea why this isn't available for pre-order on Amazon yet? I want to get one for my bedroom, but need to do through amazon as I have a couple hundred dollars of store credit there.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Just me popping in and I see this, so gonna add my own comment below..............

OMG! OMG! OMG!
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
JeremyShorr wrote:

Any idea why this isn't available for pre-order on Amazon yet? I want to get one for my bedroom, but need to do through amazon as I have a couple hundred dollars of store credit there.

Preorders for the PLAYBASE are only available right now on Sonos.com for people who already own a Sonos product. You could always preorder through us and use that credit for some PLAY:1s for surrounds :)
Ryan S wrote:

You could always preorder through us and use that credit for some PLAY:1s for surrounds :)

Unfortunately, I already have the two play 1s in the room (along with two more ones, two threes, two fives, a playbar, sub, ZP80 and ZP100 in the house). So I just want the base. Frustrating.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Dave - it took you too long to notice!
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Chris - I know mate, been busy building my workshop over the last 4 months and not up on new tech a mo.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Stop being so late to the party :D
Userlevel 2
Badge
Please Sonos just give us a "cheap" gateway (not the current connect price) to be able to connect my current hifi/avr to sonos network and I will fill my house with sonos. Even for surround.
Thank you.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)