Sticky

Introducing PLAYBASE


Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • Sonos Staff
  • 8066 replies
Coming April 4th to home theaters - PLAYBASE. Standing at just 2.3 inches high, the PLAYBASE is packed with ten independently amplified, custom designed drivers – six midrange, three tweeters, and one woofer. With a seamless design in either black or white, the PLAYBASE will fit right in at any home while filling it with great sound.



PLAYBASE is a simple, elegant solution for TVs that aren’t wall mounted. We balanced the demands of acoustics, wireless, and software to deliver a home theater speaker that sits sleekly under your TV or even in your media cabinet.

The PLAYBASE will work as the center of a Sonos home theater system too. Immerse yourself in the full home theater experience by connecting a Sonos SUB and a pair of Sonos PLAY:1s, PLAY:3s, or PLAY:5 gen2s as surround rears.

PLAYBASE is packed with everything you know to expect from a Sonos speaker: all our music services, seamless playback, room grouping, and great sound.

Much like the PLAYBAR, setup only takes a power cable and an optical connection to your TV. You can also use your own IR remote control for the volume, and enjoy the same Speech Enhancement and Night Sound settings as the PLAYBAR.

To find out more about Sonos home theater solutions take a look at our megathread here.

Don’t forget to use Trueplay on a Sonos iOS controller to tune the PLAYBASE for the best sound possible, no matter where you sit, or how you set it up. More details on Trueplay Tuning for home theater is here.

Find out more about the PLAYBASE here. Don’t forget to check out our blog here.

90 replies

Badge
What is the difference between Playbar and Playbase in terms of sound?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
icloudsonos wrote:

What is the difference between Playbar and Playable in terms of sound?



The PLAYBASE has a wider footprint allowing for a custom designed woofer giving it a deeper low end. They both sound great though.
In a 5.1 surround setup are there any benefits to depth/woofer in the new PLAYBASE over the PLAYBAR? Which would you recommend in a greenfield 5.1 surround setup where either could be used with no downside?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Most importantly -- does it work with DTS?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
TSavarese wrote:

In a 5.1 surround setup are there any benefits to depth/woofer in the new PLAYBASE over the PLAYBAR? Which would you recommend in a greenfield 5.1 surround setup where either could be used with no downside?



They'll both sound great as part of a 5.1 surround setup, so neither would be a bad choice. Largely, you can make the decision based on which will fit the room best.

The PLAYBASE will have a slightly lower subwoofer crossover frequency compared to the PLAYBAR, but you'll be able to enjoy both with the SUB. It depends on what sort of sound profile you like as well, you may want to give the PLAYBASE a try when it's released.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
gribbles wrote:

Most importantly -- does it work with DTS?



No, PLAYBASE does not support the DTS multichannel audio codec. DTS is an alternative to the Dolby Digital codec which PLAYBASE does support for 5.1 channel home theater audio. In theory, the DTS standard supports higher bitrate content than Dolby Digital AC-3, however in practice most consumer-level DTS content is encoded at reduced bitrates. For home entertainment, DTS content is only found on physical media such as DVD, Blu-ray and Laserdisc – no video streaming services such as Netflix or Hulu support DTS. As Sonos is focused on modern listeners who predominantly stream, and because most physical discs encode DTS at bitrates substantially similar to Dolby Digital, we have decided to not support DTS on PLAYBASE as we do not believe it offers a better listening experience for the majority of our owners.
Hi does this work with the new surround sound versions such as DTS etc, and is the software future proof?? that was the main reason i did not buy the play bar??
Changed wrote:

Hi does this work with the new surround sound versions such as DTS etc, and is the software future proof?? that was the main reason i did not buy the play bar??



I'm wanting to know the same. Doesn't seem like an upgrade to buy another set if this doesn't improve anything.
Would this perform well if it is placed in a large media console, with speaker or acoustic fabric in front of it (instead of a wood or glass door, and provided heat is dealt with).
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Changed wrote:

Hi does this work with the new surround sound versions such as DTS etc, and is the software future proof?? that was the main reason i did not buy the play bar??



We posted at just about the same time, but take a look at my answer above. While we don't plan to support DTS, we definitely believe the PLAYBASE and the PLAYBAR for that matter to be future proof. Sonos products are designed to sound great and last while continuing to get better. Players continue to get software updates long into their lifetime, including our first players ever produced that continue to be supported. More and more video these days is consumed through streaming services, none of which support the DTS codecs.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
GABE-ATX wrote:

Would this perform well if it is placed in a large media console, with speaker or acoustic fabric in front of it (instead of a wood or glass door, and provided heat is dealt with).



When putting a speaker into a box you'll tend to notice a bit more bass on it, but so long as there's airflow this should be fine. The Trueplay tuning software allows for easing most placement issues.
[quote=Ryan S]
Changed wrote:

More and more video these days is consumed through streaming services, none of which support the DTS codecs.



Agreed. However is the software and hardware identical to the playbar.
Will the Playbase work with in-wall speakers that I have connected to a Sonos Amp?
Badge
How does the Playbase fit into the Sonos 5.1 system that I am currently using with 5's,Playbar and Sub. It appears that the Playbase difference is only for shelf mount versus wall mounted.
Is the Playbase an upgrade, addition or ?? for those who are already using multiple Sonos configurations?
Does a Playbar+Sub cover the same frequency range as a Playbase+Sub?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Along the same lines - in a greenfield 5.1 setup (playbar, sono sub, 2 in-ceiling speakers), I was planning on running a direct connection to the speakers (playbar and 2-inceiling speakers) vs levering wireless. The setup leverages the Sonos AMP so I can leverage it as a specific zone. Can I do the same thing and just replace the playbar with a playbase? Any advantages of doing this? Or is basically the slight sound difference you mentioned and the aesthetics? Anything else?

Ryan S wrote:

TSavarese wrote:

In a 5.1 surround setup are there any benefits to depth/woofer in the new PLAYBASE over the PLAYBAR? Which would you recommend in a greenfield 5.1 surround setup where either could be used with no downside?



They'll both sound great as part of a 5.1 surround setup, so neither would be a bad choice. Largely, you can make the decision based on which will fit the room best.

The PLAYBASE will have a slightly lower subwoofer crossover frequency compared to the PLAYBAR, but you'll be able to enjoy both with the SUB. It depends on what sort of sound profile you like as well, you may want to give the PLAYBASE a try when it's released.

Badge
So do you need a sub with this as well > The video says it has a sub inside it but the picture shows a sub on the floor too
Badge +1
Will the PLAYBASE work with my projector?
Ryan S wrote:

gribbles wrote:

Most importantly -- does it work with DTS?


...For home entertainment, DTS content is only found on physical media such as DVD, Blu-ray and Laserdisc – no video streaming services such as Netflix or Hulu support DTS. As Sonos is focused on modern listeners who predominantly stream, and because most physical discs encode DTS at bitrates substantially similar to Dolby Digital, we have decided to not support DTS on PLAYBASE as we do not believe it offers a better listening experience for the majority of our owners.


I thought that Netflix and Co do only support Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) which is only supported via HDMI, am I wrong? Does the Playbase support DD+?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Taps803 wrote:

Ryan S wrote:

Changed wrote:

More and more video these days is consumed through streaming services, none of which support the DTS codecs.



Agreed. However is the software and hardware identical to the playbar.



Both are naturally going to be different, but the features are largely the same.

Parker84 wrote:

Will the Playbase work with in-wall speakers that I have connected to a Sonos Amp?


You'll need to have the CONNECT:AMP wired to the PLAYBASE, or wired to the router with the PLAYBASE also wired to the router.

pkfloyd7 wrote:

How does the Playbase fit into the Sonos 5.1 system that I am currently using with 5's,Playbar and Sub. It appears that the Playbase difference is only for shelf mount versus wall mounted.
Is the Playbase an upgrade, addition or ?? for those who are already using multiple Sonos configurations?



The PLAYBASE fills the same role that the PLAYBAR does, the difference is in which one fits best. Though the PLAYBASE does have a bit more bass to it.

who dat wrote:

Does a Playbar+Sub cover the same frequency range as a Playbase+Sub?


We generally don't go into frequency ranges. As to the sound of the two, that's kind of personal and I love the way the PLAYBASE sounds when paired with a SUB more than I do the PLAYBAR.

chrisredmayne wrote:

So do you need a sub with this as well > The video says it has a sub inside it but the picture shows a sub on the floor too


That'll depend on what you like when it comes to sound profiles. On its own, the PLAYBASE has impressive sound, but our SUB can really rock a room. You can always try out the PLAYBASE solo and then add a SUB later if you want more bass.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
dabvid wrote:

Will the PLAYBASE work with my projector?


Does your projector have a digital S/PDIF optical output?

YooaCk wrote:

I thought that Netflix and Co do only support Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) which is only supported via HDMI, am I wrong? Does the Playbase support DD+?


Devices capable of reading DD+ can almost universally convert it to Dolby Digital 5.1 to send over optical. Optical doesn't quite have the bandwidth necessary for DD+, though technically speaking, if somehow a DD+ signal got to the PLAYBASE or PLAYBAR they could play it.
Can I place the Playbase on an open shelf (approx 15 inches above top of my tv and approx 25 inches below ceiling) without sacrificing audio? It's the only feasible placement option open to me. Or would Playbar be better suited? Thanks.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
rboy23 wrote:

Can I place the Playbase on an open shelf (approx 15 inches above top of my tv and approx 25 inches below ceiling) without sacrificing audio? It's the only feasible placement option open to me. Or would Playbar be better suited? Thanks.



That's a tough one. Generally I'd say that it's best to have the speakers aimed at you, so the PLAYBAR would probably be better. With Trueplay you can get around some issues though, so it may be worth a try. Would the PLAYBAR be able to be placed under the TV? If so, that's probably the better call.
Thanks Ryan. No the Playbar would need to be on the shelf too.
Badge
My existing "home theatre" configuration is around my main TV (on Sonos called "TV") in the lounge (Soundbar, Sub, Play1s). If I want to use the Playbase with my bedroom TV, do I just add it to the existing configuration and call it something else (TV2), or alternatively do I need to set up a separate configuration? I have two Play1s in the bedroom - can these be configured as surrounds for the bedroom TV?

Reply

    • :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)