Introducing Move in Lunar White

Related products: Hardware News
Introducing Move in Lunar White

Last September, we introduced Sonos Move, the durable, battery-powered smart speaker for outdoor and indoor listening. Today, we introduce a new color for Move: Lunar White. 

The hue represents months of research, formulating, and testing. It also exemplifies a key tenant of the Sonos experience—that all our products work together as part of a system not only technically but also aesthetically.

ecSMvhKHM2yXVbHR-lkyz5kj7rXw_g5NNmC6IvJAtApoOGnYB7KecAHNmTyP3FppMwbYGCfA4PqbVZlKcdkczb_cRYaEJnfQAsarltSh7Rf8rpo93-qxSodzcIX7dtrjoqztvIH2

If you’re new to Move, read all about it here and check out our blog post on the Making of Move. 

Pre-order today on Sonos.com for $399 US (€399 EUR), available in the Americas and China on June 30th, with worldwide availability starting July 7th.

Great product, I recently purchased 2x moves to enjoy all the time we’ve been spending in the garden during lockdown!

I read about increased battery life with the new S2 software. Has this software update already been pushed to existing devices or due following the availability of the new lunar white version?

Thanks

I certainly hope that the battery live has improved.  I am very disappointed in that aspect of my Move.  I use it in a UK bathroom (no power allowed in a UK bathroom) and it is flat in less than 2 days, even with minimal use as a speaker. 

All the support people can suggest is pressing the Bluetooth/Wifi button, to switch it to Bluetooth.  This saves power because it isn’t constantly searching for another Sonos component, but in that mode, it’s not really a Sonos product itself, because you can’t just grab a phone and control it or link it with other speakers. 

It seems to have a woefully small battery considering how large and heavy it is - at around 2500mAh, it is 30% smaller than my phone!  They could so easily have increased that…  Interestingly, they seem to have removed the mAh from the spec now.

On a more positive note, it sounds fantastic and it has had plenty of use outside the house as well as in.  It is just frustrating that (sharing a house with teenage daughters) it is usually flat when I want to use it in the bathroom.

When can we expect to see these available at retail locations? Will the lunar white be a part of any retail displays?  I’d love to see the difference between white and lunar white.

Keen on white Move here but will wait for some more information/resolution of the random powering on/battery issues.

They've been reported for too long now without any sort of a resolution or update (that I'm aware of).

The battery size of around 2500mAh (2400) did surprise me but if that's what it takes to deliver around 10h of use that's fine and satisfies my use case.  Not if I go to use it and it's flat having been totally powered off though.

Great product, I recently purchased 2x moves to enjoy all the time we’ve been spending in the garden during lockdown!

I read about increased battery life with the new S2 software. Has this software update already been pushed to existing devices or due following the availability of the new lunar white version?

Thanks

That was through a previous software update that’s been out for a little while. Move can now support up to 11 hours of continuous play time on battery.

When can we expect to see these available at retail locations? Will the lunar white be a part of any retail displays?  I’d love to see the difference between white and lunar white.

Starting on July 7th, you’ll start to see them showing up in retail locations. You could call a few local ones to see if they have both models on display to see the differences. 

Now I’m thinking of returning my black one - a white one would probably be less likely to overheat at the beach or outside.

This battery update fixes the bug with standby mode ?

@Ryan S

‘’The hue represents months of research ...’’

Really, to just change the colour of the case?

Hmm …

It does look nice, though.

It’s a lot more than selecting a different color 🙂 It’s about the paint and finish, not just the color of it. For a portable unit, there’s a lot that goes into it.

I pre-ordered this on June 16th and the order confirmation email said estimated delivery by June 30th. It’s now almost a week later and my order status is still “backordered”. Has anyone else had this issue? I saw some people on Reddit get theirs early, one person was supposed to get it by end of July and they got it around Father’s Day, yet mine still hasn’t shipped..

Hi @Marauder2.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us,

I would recommend calling our sales team for further assistance as they have all the details to your inquiry. 

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help out.

Thanks,

Hi @Paul A ,

Thanks for the reply. I did contact support, waited on hold for an hour and they told me they would talk to their manager and email me, but I haven’t heard anything. At this point even if it ships early next week, it will be 2 weeks late.

Hi @Marauder2.

Thanks for the feedback. 

I would like to recommend calling them back to check out what happened to the request since we have no way of coordinating with the sales team since we have no information about the details of the transaction. I would also recommend asking for a live escalation since this is already causing a lot of delays and inconvenience on your end.

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

I pre-ordered this on June 16th and the order confirmation email said estimated delivery by June 30th. It’s now almost a week later and my order status is still “backordered”. Has anyone else had this issue? I saw some people on Reddit get theirs early, one person was supposed to get it by end of July and they got it around Father’s Day, yet mine still hasn’t shipped..

Yep I ordered an AMP and a Lunar White move both said delivery by July 17th. When I checked 2 weeks ago it then said “backordered” for both. I contacted support, they listened to me complain then said someone from sales would contact me right away. 

well now it’s July 22 and I haven’t heard from anyone. Tried calling and was left on hold for 1 hour before I hung up. 

then I got sent a survey about my experience lol…. really? 

As of today my lunar white move status is now “processing” but the AMP still says backordered. I’m extremely disappointed in SONOS as a company right now. A product like the AMP which has been in production longer than a year should not have backorder issues. 

quite sad. 

Hi @Fedele.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thank you for reaching out to us about your concern. We apologize for the inconvenience.

I would like to recommend calling our sales team directly as they may have the most appropriate answer to your inquiry.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Please clarify what is the “bug with standby mode”? Thanks

Sonos are supposed to be looking into it but events of the last few months may have shifted that focus somewhat and I've not seen anything official for a while (but could easily have missed it as I don't come here often) but basically, even when fully powered down, they can switch themselves on (without you knowing) and the battery drains completely in a matter if days days.

Sonos did say a drain of some amount would be expected but even this was far, far higher than I would expect a completely powered off device to drain at. If I switch my tablet completely for a week, it may drop 1% over that time.  There are also instances where they refuse to power back up until docked again, even if plugged into a suitable charger.

They also appear very ‘picky” in the USB charger you use if not using the base unit.

Sonos are supposed to be looking into it but events of the last few months may have shifted that focus somewhat and I've not seen anything official for a while (but could easily have missed it as I don't come here often) but basically, even when fully powered down, they can switch themselves on (without you knowing) and the battery drains completely in a matter if days days.

Sonos did say a drain of some amount would be expected but even this was far, far higher than I would expect a completely powered off device to drain at. If I switch my tablet completely for a week, it may drop 1% over that time.  There are also instances where they refuse to power back up until docked again, even if plugged into a suitable charger.

They also appear very ‘picky” in the USB charger you use if not using the base unit.

Thanks for the clarification.  Until that bug is fixed, I am of the understanding that you can press the power button and hold it for 10 seconds and it switches off completely. I don’t think it can accidentally power on from that status.

No, that is the issue.  From that supposedly fully powered down state it can still power on (according to Sonos, as the user does not see this event) and flatten very quickly.

Just picked up one of these.

Have set it up but it’s showing as WM=1, I assume that’s correct as it’s designed to be connected directly to my wi-fi rather than Sonosnet (WM=0)?

Overall impressed with the speaker, it looks good and sounds excellent. Quite a lot of bass too.

So far I’m getting about 5-6 hours on one charge.

The Move does not have an antenna that allows it to connect to SonosNet, so it always connects to your WiFi signal, hence the WM:1.

The Move does not have an antenna that allows it to connect to SonosNet, so it always connects to your WiFi signal, hence the WM:1.

Thank you.

Thank you.

They cheaped out on $500 speaker 🤦‍♂️

More likely they made an intelligent decision so that the Move wouldn’t be used as a surround speaker, causing all sorts of trouble when it would be removed from the surround context, with issues in the software when suddenly one or both disappeared. 

But it may be a matter of perspective, you seem to assume the worst, I try to look for potential business reasons to make the choices they did. But as neither of us were in the room when the choice was taken, we just don’t know, do we?

More likely they made an intelligent decision so that the Move wouldn’t be used as a surround speaker, causing all sorts of trouble when it would be removed from the surround context, with issues in the software when suddenly one or both disappeared. 

But it may be a matter of perspective, you seem to assume the worst, I try to look for potential business reasons to make the choices they did. But as neither of us were in the room when the choice was taken, we just don’t know, do we?

Edit nevermind