Important Update to BBC Live Radio Access

Related products: Partner News
Important Update to BBC Live Radio Access

Hi everyone,

The BBC has made some changes to the way you can access BBC live radio in the United Kingdom.

BBC live radio will not be available through Sonos Radio, or TuneIn in the United Kingdom from Today, 13th April 2022.

Find all your favourite BBC radio stations, podcasts and music mixes on BBC Sounds, available on Sonos in the United Kingdom.

To keep listening, you can add BBC Sounds to your Sonos system:

iOS or Android:

1. Open the Sonos app.
  2. From the Settings tab, tap Services & Voice.
  3. Under Music & Content, tap Add a Service.
  4. Tap on BBC Sounds
  5. Tap Add to Sonos.
  6. Follow the on-screen instructions to add the music service account.

Mac or PC:

1. Open the Sonos app.
  2. Under the Select a Music Source section, click on Add Music Services.
  3. Click on BBC Sounds
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to add the music service account.

Users outside of the United Kingdom will still be able to listen to BBC live radio through Sonos Radio.

Cheers,

James L.

Not really enough information here to be of much assistance. There are several posts in this thread that might be able to help you get BBC Sounds.

gta 4 apk obb zip file download for android

BBC stations can be played from within the Sonos app, no longer works with voice control at all, always tries to play from TuneIn and fails, known issue Sonos says BBC hasn’t done the work to integrate with the Sonos API to make it work.

Google or Alexa voice control? I’m using Alexa.

I agree with tony says.

Not really enough information here to be of much assistance. There are several posts in this thread that might be able to help you get BBC Sounds. The first thing I’d be double checking is to see if your address is set up properly for your account at www.Sonos.com, but if it is, perhaps it might be helpful if you were to submit a system diagnostic , and call **** to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Exactly, You say 100% right some disponal give advice to sonos and network.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Not really enough information here to be of much assistance. There are several posts in this thread that might be able to help you get BBC Sounds. The first thing I’d be double checking is to see if your address is set up properly for your account at www.Sonos.com, but if it is, perhaps it might be helpful if you were to submit a system diagnostic , and call *****. to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Exactly, Authentication Answer.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Not really enough information here to be of much assistance. There are several posts in this thread that might be able to help you get BBC Sounds. The first thing I’d be double checking is to see if your address is set up properly for your account at www.Sonos.com, but if it is, perhaps it might be helpful if you were to submit a system diagnostic , and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

Ok, I will figure out this and make plan according to this.

Moderation edit: Removed spam link

Isn’t bbc sounds on S2 only?

This could be crunch day for people with S1 only stuff in UK…...

i am S1, and got BBC Sounds all set up and sorted this morning without a problem.

HI, I am trying to add Sounds and I am seeing a message stating: 'System Update Needed. Update your products to the latest Sonos system software'.

@itsamishmash What happens if you follow that advice?

A feature which really should be available on Sounds is the Synopsis description for podcasts.  Just giving a title is not sufficient information. 

The BBC do include a one-line summary in their data and it is displayed in the Hero view that I see on my iPhone. Where are you not seeing the summary?

Since switching to BBC Sounds my Sonos ‘times out’ of BBC radio after 10-15 minutes. This happens whether using the app from my phone, iPad or my iMac. Often when I go back and press ‘Play’ it then says the Sonos system is unavailable. I have no problem with other stations remaining on Tunein. Is there a setting on BBC Sounds causing this?

Any update on the issue where Google Assistant voice commands cannot play BBC Sounds stations please?  This issue has been know about for months but appears to be no closer to being resolved.  Not much point having a voice activated smart speaker that can’t play your national radio channels!

Any update on the issue where Google Assistant voice commands cannot play BBC Sounds stations please?  This issue has been know about for months but appears to be no closer to being resolved.  Not much point having a voice activated smart speaker that can’t play your national radio channels!

I would have to disagree that that makes the whole voice control worthless.  Many users will regard it as a minor inconvenience or a complete irrelevance.  But perhaps you were using hyperbole.

I can understand your frustration given that it does matter to you and no doubt to others.  It may be low priority for Sonos.  After all, we are talking about a subset (those to whom it matters) of a subset (users using Google voice control who listen to BBC radio) of a subset (users living in a small island off the coast of Europe).  Or it may reflect the fractious relationship between Sonos and Google.

Sonos doesn’t comment on its plans so there is no alternative but to wait, I’m afraid.  Presumably you can control the stream using GA once the stream has started?

I’m afraid BBC Sounds is only available on Sonos in the UK.   The BBC are changing technology to use HLS and DASH to stream.  Is Sonos planning to incorporate those technologies so BBC listeners worldwide can listen through Sonos?  I hope so

Cheers

Peter JT

I’m afraid BBC Sounds is only available on Sonos in the UK.   The BBC are changing technology to use HLS and DASH to stream.  

I can use BBC Sounds here in the USA.

Sonos supports HLS today: https://developer.sonos.com/build/content-service-add-features/supported-audio-formats/http-live-streaming-hls/

I’m afraid BBC Sounds is only available on Sonos in the UK.   The BBC are changing technology to use HLS and DASH to stream.  

I can use BBC Sounds here in the USA.

@controlav  My understanding is that BBC Sounds is indeed available outside the UK, but not on Sonos.  Are you saying that you can install and use BBC Sounds as an integrated music source on Sonos in the USA?  That would surprise me.

deleted

@controlav  My understanding is that BBC Sounds is indeed available outside the UK, but not on Sonos.  Are you saying that you can install and use BBC Sounds as an integrated music source on Sonos in the USA?  That would surprise me.

Yes, on S2. I cannot get it setup on my S1 system, but it seems to be an S2-only SMAPI service these days so not entirely surprising.

I do not see BBC sounds as a music service that I can add, any ideas?

Change the country on your Sonos account to the UK, wait a bit, then it will show up as an option.

Change the country on your Sonos account to the UK, wait a bit, then it will show up as an option.

In the Sonos App goto Settings/System/System Updates and hit Check for Updates. This can be necessary to force a refresh of the service list.