Important policy of technical service of Sonos

Badge
It would be interesting to inform you of the policy they use if your equipment is damaged: if it is within two years of warranty they will change it for the existing model at that time. If it is within two and three years the existing model will put it at 50% of the new cost, but as they get the new model with "improvements" and the price much higher, ie if you want to continue listening to a Sonos You have to spend like one you bought 2 and a half years ago. I'VE BEEN INFORMED THAT THE STRUCTURED APPLIANCES DO NOT FIX. Well, a very dodgy policy because if I have noticed that the programmed obsolescence is prevalent in Sonos. I was spoiled when I turned 2 years and a couple of months a Play 5

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

43 replies

Sigh.
Badge
I consider it an abusive policy and it should be exposed when it comes to selling the products.
In Spain it is illegal not to fix a product put on the market.
Shameful for Sonos and his politics.
I have been ruined Play 5 with 2 years and 6 months.
BAD PRODUCT !!!
amarcos,

Perhaps it's different in Spain, but most consumer electronics in the US come with a 1 year warranty. Technically, that is what Sonos provides according to the legal documentation on this website. (If the warranty is longer, it's usually because the consumer paid for an extended warranty, or the product has a history of failure and a longer warranty is needed to regain consumer confidence.) However, it seems that Sonos will often go beyond what is legally required in most cases. I'm not going to pretend that I research warranties in my spare time, but that seems to be rather rare.

It absolutely sucks when a product dies after being out of warranty, but that's the way it goes. It's reasonable for a consumer to not want to re-buy the product after such event, but I don't think you can fault a company for not providing a better standard warranty, or assume that there is a high rate of product failure based off your single experience.
In my unhumble opinion offering a refurbished replacement unit at a 75%ish reduced rate (not 50%) is a very generous policy. By the way, my two stereo-paired Play:5s have been playing fine since 2013.

Whatever. 'Fixing' a product is not free of charge either, you know?
Badge
It seems that you are very interested in the image of Sonos. I have not since they make you any discount percentage ... To me yes I have been told that 50% discount.
Why do I have to spend a certain amount if my equipment breaks down? I am encountering scheduled obsolescence and this is what gives the whole appearance. Today I pay 50% for a product that I do not have to pay, tomorrow they bring to market another product and mine is spoiled again, so I sell another product again. Stupid policy against consumers.
What do you think there policy should be? What product has a better policy than sonos? Should they hold off releasing new products so that the product you got 2 years ago is the latest and greatest?

Actually, sonos products seem to stay relevant longer than most. If a firmware upgrade can be done on an old product they will do it. They also seem to be resistant to add new features if it can't be done on the older units as well. Do you have the same frustration with mobile phones? Last years model is always out of date.
[...] Why do I have to spend a certain amount if my equipment breaks down?
So in Spain a repair service is offered for free if consumer electronics get broken out of warranty? Do you people happily live off thin air? 😃
It seems that you are very interested in the image of Sonos. I have not since they make you any discount percentage ... To me yes I have been told that 50% discount.
Why do I have to spend a certain amount if my equipment breaks down? I am encountering scheduled obsolescence and this is what gives the whole appearance. Today I pay 50% for a product that I do not have to pay, tomorrow they bring to market another product and mine is spoiled again, so I sell another product again. Stupid policy against consumers.

To the bolded, what exactly makes your product "spoiled" when Sonos brings to market a new product? Sonos units from 10+ years ago are still compatible and fully functional with Sonos units sold today.

As to Sonos not "fixing" units, the electronics industry long ago stopped "fixing" things in favor of swapping them out for a refurbished unit, then in turn refurbishing the swapped unit to give to someone else. This gives you significantly less down time, because your faulty unit is replaced immediately. Unless you prefer being charged for repairs and also losing access to the unit for the days/weeks it takes to repair them?

Also, can you name another company that will offer a replacement for 50% of the original cost when the unit is out of warranty by a year and a half? Methinks you protest too much.
Badge
No, in Spain you do not live off the air, you know very little about Spain. In Spain the consumer is respected and is not treated like a jerk
Badge
It seems silly to me what he is saying. He says that they change it immediately instead of losing a few days in the arrangement, I've been trying for a few days to get a solution that is not the absurd policy against nature, needing more resources for manufacturing, nor the words that you. Is using me Why do you say 75% and now say it is 50% normal? I think that the lack of normality of this question on the part of Sonos and you. As interested, you have no consistent answer left.
[...] Why do you say 75% and now say it is 50% normal? I think that the lack of normality of this question on the part of Sonos and you. As interested, you have no consistent answer left.
At what charge the replacement Play:5 has been offered to you? Is your old one a first or second generation unit?
Badge
My unit I bought it in January of 2017 made 2 years, it is of first generation and I am offered play 5 of 2nd generation paying almost 300 euros. It's a bit of humor, is not it? It is to sell last generation product at the cost of what comes out in bad condition of the first generation.
My unit I bought it in January of 2017 made 2 years, it is of first generation and I am offered play 5 of 2nd generation paying almost 300 euros. It's a bit of humor, is not it? It is to sell last generation product at the cost of what comes out in bad condition of the first generation.

I'm not sure we understand. If your unit was bought in "January of 2017" it is 7 months old, not 2 years. If that date is mistaken, then your device is at least one year out of warranty. They are offering you 50% off a newer generation for an item that is an entire year out of warranty. Seems pretty generous to me.
Badge
You're right, we do not understand each other. We think very differently in Europe than in the USA. I'm not going to continue this conversation that leads nowhere. Apple in Spain if you have a bad product, or you change it for another in warranty or they fix it with a cost for the piece that is wrong not for a new product that I am forced to buy as is the Sleep. I feel that we do not have the same mentality in Europe as in the USA, that is clear in the same way that you have left the Paris agreement in favor of nature.
Yeah, because the US government's policy on the Paris agreement has everything to do with a private consumer electronics company's repair policy? You are correct about one thing, we definitely do not have the same mentality. Take care! :8
OP, please don't speak on behalf of all Europeans as most of us over here are pretty comfortable with Sonos' terms and agreements.

Furthermore, the mere fact that Spain requires dedicated repairs to an out-of-guarantee product rather than simply switch the entire unit for a reduced price shows a certain mentality and, frankly, could be one of the many reasons why Spain is more or less broke.

Greetings from Germany.
No, it isn't, because the price of a new one is € 579,--, in Spain as well as in Austria (where I live). Taking the 2.5 years old Play:5 into account the charge for the replacement amounts to 70%-75% off standard price. Aside from that, my Connect went bad two years ago and was replaced at a fee of € 115, -- (Original price
€ 399,--). I am happy and grateful for that.
Badge
You want to convince me that you're happy. I am glad for your joy that is not mine and stop trying to convince me with something that has no logic of any kind. You look instead of user, Sonos representative
Badge
Already they came who think that because they think otherwise are superior. I close the conversation with you because I do not usually have conversations with such intelligent people.
Thank you for your advices
You want to convince me that you're happy. I am glad for your joy that is not mine and stop trying to convince me with something that has no logic of any kind. You look instead of user, Sonos representative
So what do you expect – to get a buckshee replacement?
I don't think I'm following what the situation is. The dates aren't lining up since we are talking about a 2+ year old product that was purchased this January. I don't know if that means it was bought used or something different.

This is probably due to communication issues. It sounds like English is a 2nd language here...and that's not a knock as his English is way better then my Spanish.
I don't think I'm following what the situation is. The dates aren't lining up since we are talking about a 2+ year old product that was purchased this January. I don't know if that means it was bought used or something different.
amarcos bought the Play:5 in January 2015. As far as I know, Sonos offers Europe-wide a two year full warranty, which means that the unit is six months out of guarantee.
Badge
Bueno, probablemente mi inglés sea malo, no lo dudo. Me expreso en español y se me entenderá mejor.
Cualquier fabricante chino hoy día da todo tipo de facilidades y servicios a sus clientes, por eso podrán con occidente, porque saben verdaderamente que un cliente enfadado es un cliente que intentará que la gente sepa su mal servicio y su mal hacer. Sonos es peor que Alibaba-Aliexpress-Amazon, como plataformas baratas, por precios, pero Apple no lo es por precio y si por el exquisto trato a sus clientes, por ello soy un "Macquero total" porque se que si tengo un problema con mis compras me las solucionarán sin problemas. Esto que me está pasando a mí, que no entiendo como lo veis tan normal es como si Apple no arreglase sus productos y después de comprar un Mac, se estropea a los dos años y para poder seguir teniendo un Mac, me obligan a comprar otro aunque sea a mitad de precio... ¿Estamos locos? ¿Hay que agradecerlo? parece ser que para los inteligentes que han contestado desde Alemania y Austria es normal que pensemos así en España.
No quiero entrar en guerras distintas al problema que existe con este funcionamiento. Me he informado y por este motivo grandes almacenes han dejado de distribuir Sonos, porque ellos también se preocupan de los clientes y esta política no es ni normal y muy probablemente en España es ilegal. Todo producto vendido en nuestro territorio tienen su servicio técnico para no tener que obligar a los usuarios a comprar otro equipo o tirarlo a la basura.
Gracias, así me expreso mejor y lo siento por los que no sepan español. 😃
I am curious to know what similar product at the same price levels as Sonos does all that the OP expects. I can see where he is coming from, but if no one offers that solution, it is just a wish/dream and not a complaint against Sonos specifically.

I too am not fond of the use/throw away culture, but that is how life is these days everywhere except for expensive/custom made products in every sphere. Even cars. The only thing that will change that will be when the environment no longer permits this lifestyle, it seems.

Thankfully in my Sonos use, I have not seen any failures in a 4 room system built starting from 2011. But I also suspect that this isn't a rare experience. While Sonos is also rare at its price point for having upgraded all my kit, free of charge, till now and there is no sign of that policy changing.
Bueno, probablemente mi inglés sea malo, no lo dudo. Me expreso en español y se me entenderá mejor.
Cualquier fabricante chino hoy día da todo tipo de facilidades y servicios a sus clientes, por eso podrán con occidente, porque saben verdaderamente que un cliente enfadado es un cliente que intentará que la gente sepa su mal servicio y su mal hacer. Sonos es peor que Alibaba-Aliexpress-Amazon, como plataformas baratas, por precios, pero Apple no lo es por precio y si por el exquisto trato a sus clientes, por ello soy un "Macquero total" porque se que si tengo un problema con mis compras me las solucionarán sin problemas. Esto que me está pasando a mí, que no entiendo como lo veis tan normal es como si Apple no arreglase sus productos y después de comprar un Mac, se estropea a los dos años y para poder seguir teniendo un Mac, me obligan a comprar otro aunque sea a mitad de precio... ¿Estamos locos? ¿Hay que agradecerlo? parece ser que para los inteligentes que han contestado desde Alemania y Austria es normal que pensemos así en España.
No quiero entrar en guerras distintas al problema que existe con este funcionamiento. Me he informado y por este motivo grandes almacenes han dejado de distribuir Sonos, porque ellos también se preocupan de los clientes y esta política no es ni normal y muy probablemente en España es ilegal. Todo producto vendido en nuestro territorio tienen su servicio técnico para no tener que obligar a los usuarios a comprar otro equipo o tirarlo a la basura.
Gracias, así me expreso mejor y lo siento por los que no sepan español. :D

I am not familiar with the laws in Spain but surely there must be some limit to the amount of time that a manufacturer is required to repair a product that they sell?