Answered

Important Information for Audible Listeners

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

615 replies

Incredibly disappointed about this.

I've dropped over £1500 in Sonos gear kitting out my home and can't do something basic like listen to audiobooks on it? A feature which was available, and has now been revoked without first implementing a replacement or alternative option?

Seems ridiculous.

I have a playbar, 3 play ones and a sub. There's no way I'm buying another item from Sonos just so I can get a line in. Maybe more of your products should have line in standard, instead of just a very select few.

Time for me to get a £10 bluetooth speaker so I can listen to my audiobooks in bed while my huge pile of expensive sonos gear collects dust.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Incredibly disappointed about this.

I've dropped over £1500 in Sonos gear kitting out my home and can't do something basic like listen to audiobooks on it? A feature which was available, and has now been revoked without first implementing a replacement or alternative option?

Seems ridiculous.

I have a playbar, 3 play ones and a sub. There's no way I'm buying another item from Sonos just so I can get a line in. Maybe more of your products should have line in standard, instead of just a very select few.

Time for me to get a £10 bluetooth speaker so I can listen to my audiobooks in bed while my huge pile of expensive sonos gear collects dust.

I hear you mate, same boat here, i always listen to my audiobooks though sonos especially when the house is empty. I was going to invest in two more play 1s for the kids rooms as they also like to listen to them in bed for christmas.
I think sonos have done this poorly, as it was a already in use service they should really keeping us updated - not leave us hanging for all these months.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Any word yet?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Any word yet?

Thanks for asking, no news at the moment, but we'll let everyone know as soon as there's anything to share on Audible.
Come on Sonos! I bought a Sonos set up for my wife for Christmas, and when I ask her why she is not using it much, she finally tells me that she mainly wants to use it for audiobooks. When I go online to research this problem, I find throngs of similar angry customers with this same complaint. Seems like yours would be a great product if you could just get this seemingly simple problem fixed! Please do so ASAP.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Why can't sonos keep old versions of their software in an app store somewhere?
Is there a comprehensive list on sonos website, which effectively warns owners that Ios such & such is no longer supported, and if they upgrade then they need to buy a new ipad to control it etc, audible no longer supported etc etc...
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Any word yet?

Thanks for asking, no news at the moment, but we'll let everyone know as soon as there's anything to share on Audible.

Thanks.
Why can't sonos keep old versions of their software in an app store somewhere?
Is there a comprehensive list on sonos website, which effectively warns owners that Ios such & such is no longer supported, and if they upgrade then they need to buy a new ipad to control it etc, audible no longer supported etc etc...

Here is the release notes page, with system requirements. There is a drop down menu for previous software versions:

http://www.sonos.com/en-gb/software/release/6-1-1
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Thanks jgatie, that seems quite comprehensive and states audible will be lost.
For a newbie, what are the rules about updating the software, is it optional?
I have read on amazon about someone not being able to use their only ipad controller, after a software update, and not being able to "go backwards" to make it work again etc.
Upgrading is always optional. For even more effectiveness, you can turn off update alerts in the Sonos app, and turn off automatic updates on your mobile device.
Upgrading is always optional.

Unless you want to expand your system. Or if a speaker fails and you have to replace it. Or something on your app based controller unintentionally kicks off the update process.

You should note that the option to not look for updates does not actually block them if they get kicked off somehow by mistake. Turning off automatic updates on a mobile device does not ensure that some action by the user or the app won't kick one off anyway.
Upgrading is always optional.

Unless you want to expand your system. Or if a speaker fails and you have to replace it. Or something on your app based controller unintentionally kicks off the update process.

You should note that the option to not look for updates does not actually block them if they get kicked off somehow by mistake. Turning off automatic updates on a mobile device does not ensure that some action by the user or the app won't kick one off anyway.

I assume "some action by the user or the app won't kick one off anyway" would mean an option was chosen by the user or on the app which kicks off an update. Hence the statement "updates are always optional" and my advice to make that option less likely to happen by accident and/or ignorance. But thanks for the clarification/complaint. It appears one can never give out too much of either on this site.
Clarifications and complaints is a nicely succinct description of this site's mission.
Clarifications and complaints is a nicely succinct description of this site's mission.

True, except some give out much more of the latter than the former (and vice versa).
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
So why can't sonos provide access to the old software that did work, before any unexpected disastrous update?
They could control it all by doing it through their helpdesk and remote access?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
This has been discussed in past and Sonos has categorically said they do not provide ability to downgrade to previous versions. I do not forsee that stance changing at any point.

They are rather past due for an update on this though.
So why can't sonos provide access to the old software that did work, before any unexpected disastrous update?
They could control it all by doing it through their helpdesk and remote access?

Because they prefer you update, and would rather not have to deal with the logistical nightmare of supporting dozens of releases. In other words, they aren't going to force you to update, but they aren't going to actually encourage you not to update. It's the same as their stance on Powerline adapters; you can use them, but they aren't going to support you doing so.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Yeah but I haven't come across another product that iv'e bought, that works fine before the update, then doesn't work after, and no one is going to help get it working. It's like a windows update that means its trashed your laptop and you need to buy a new laptop??
Most of the posts on here are about stuff not working anymore.
Eventually Sonos will reach a point where a given update simply cannot support some older products because of hardware limitations. I would assume at that point there will have to be a final firmware version that allows ongoing use of old hardware. it is one thing to do an upgrade and find a favorite feature has disappeared but something else entirely if a house full of expensive ZP100s and CR100s stops functioning with no way to get them going again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Yeah but I haven't come across another product that iv'e bought, that works fine before the update, then doesn't work after, and no one is going to help get it working. It's like a windows update that means its trashed your laptop and you need to buy a new laptop??
Most of the posts on here are about stuff not working anymore.

Largely this is a support community, so it's expected to see people having trouble. Most cases where people have issues following a Sonos update come down to a network issue which existed prior to the update and was revealed, or something like a duplicate IP address that was assigned by the router after the players all rebooted. Sometimes it's because the router chooses the time of the update to do an auto channel scan on the wireless and selects the Sonos channel because players are powered off at the time it goes looking. There can be all sorts of causes to an issue which develops following an update. The symptoms are usually the same though, controllers not connecting, a room or rooms not showing up, or music cutting out. But those symptoms can be caused by many things.

If this sort of situation has come up, there isn't really a way to "roll back to the last working configuration" because the update itself wasn't really the cause of the problem. At least it wasn't the sole cause. That said, many times an issue following an update can be resolved with a simple network reboot.

As to the few times when an update removes functionality, such as with Audible here, there is always a reason beyond a company decision which would cause a problem if you were to be running older software. Music services will regularly go through changes and our updates will keep the codes and connection protocols in line so that they continue to work. When we can no longer support a service we'll let everyone know, but eventually it doesn't matter the version you're running, you'll not be able to use that service eventually.

We know that Audible and more importantly, playing your audio books is important to a lot of our customers and we're working with Audible on a solution here. An older version of the software isn't that solution. We'll let everyone know as soon as we have more information to announce on the future of Audible on Sonos.
Good point Ryan. I forgot the fact that sometimes the loss of a feature is due to a change by the service itself, not Sonos, so reverting to an earlier version will do no good. I imagine this is the case with recent changes in Audible and Spotify support.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
thanks Ryan for your time & comprehensive reply.
Hello, not sure if it is mentioned on previous pages in this topic. There is a work around that works most likely for a limited amount of people. Airplay audiobook to Apple TV. Switch TV to Apple TV port, Playbar plays the audiobook (television shows screen saver). Maybe useful for someone.
I'm not sure whether Sonos will post this comment, so we will see. I bought my sonos system to listen purely to audio books (over 50 of which are from Audible). They played fine and there was no issue with the sound quality. 4 months ago my system had problems and the only way to get it running again was to update the software, but... no more audible books could be played. To me this wasn't acceptable and so I began emailing customer service. It took a few messages, and a couple of phone calls, but eventually Sonos agreed to send me a Sonos Connect for FREE as this has a Line-in where I can attach an mp3 player. This is not an ideal way to play audio books as you can't pick and choose them from the app, but it works.
Anyone else with this problem should do the same. I was not about to waste £600 of kit and leave my Sonos set up gathering dust. Companies need to learn that they can't lure people in and then withdraw services with poor excuses. I live in hope that Sonos will release a new version that will stream from Audible, but honestly my internet may not cope anyway!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Well done you, and well done sonos for keeping your custom.
They must get stock returned under the 100day free trial, so why not give one to you, they can't re-sell it as new...I would hope.
How about selling me a returned connect please ;O)