Answered

Important Information for Audible Listeners

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

615 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
So, interesting but confusing reading. I am not yet a Sonos user, but as my wife is a very keen Audible consumer, I don't want to buy a system that cannot play Audible wirelessly through the proposed Sonos home sound network. I am confused about Beta/Non beta mentions, about 'line-in' mentions, and streaming vs downloaded files, and about Audible.com vs audible.co.uk. Bottom line, if I purchase a new Sonos system now, will I be able to play Audible files from audible.co.uk from my iphone 6 through a wireless connection in my home? My wife likes to walk around the house listening to her books, she currently uses headphones, will she be able to play same material through Sonos? If not (cheeky question on a Sonos forum) is there a solution that does - just a yes or no answer will suffice.

At this time, the beta details no longer apply as that update is now the latest Sonos version. There isn't currently a direct way to stream Audible books from your iPhone to Sonos without using a workaround through the line-in. This is something that's being worked on for the future.

The line-in is a way to get the tracks playing even without direct support. For example, you could use an Airport Express (with Airplay support) wired into a Sonos player with a line-in (PLAY:5, CONNECT, or CONNECT:AMP) which would allow you to send Audible books from your phone, to the Airport, and then into your Sonos system to be played across any combination of Sonos players in the house.

Let us know if you have any further questions, we're happy to help.
is it possible to undo the upgrade. Especially - If what I really wanted was part of the previous version?! All I want is the ability to use the content that I own - in a manner I want to use it regardless of the future that sonos envisions. Hello everyone,

The update for Sonos version 6.0 is now available and as John mentioned, systems that upgrade will no longer have access to Audible or Audible files on Sonos. We’re working with Audible to get a streaming solution available for the service on Sonos, but at this time don’t have specific details for you on the timeframe. As soon as we have news we’ll be updating you all, but for the moment, we’re sorry for the interruption to your audiobooks.

For more information please see our page here: http://sonos.com/audible
you own content - that you want to listen to, paid for and now can't listen to it w/out some extra step or buying something else....there should be another remedy...come-on sonos we paid a premium for this give us a better option...I don't care about streaming audible files outside my network...in my home I want to listen to it...why can't you turn that back on?

John M.

Two issues. One is that Sonos is removing functionality that I, and probably many others, understood was supported when we bought our gear. By removing support for an existing format, you are removing a whole class of content after we have made a buying decision. At the very least, I would expect to receive the courtesy of a reasonable explanation for the withdrawal. Your post does not offer such an explanation.

Second, while you are developing a streaming alternative, you ought to at least allow those of us who have been using Audible to continue to do so. I joined the public beta before understanding that I would lose the ability to play Audible files. I have left the beta program, and reinstalled the release software, according to your instructions, but am unable to access my Audible service, or to play Audible files.

Your advice?
So, interesting but confusing reading. I am not yet a Sonos user, but as my wife is a very keen Audible consumer, I don't want to buy a system that cannot play Audible wirelessly through the proposed Sonos home sound network. I am confused about Beta/Non beta mentions, about 'line-in' mentions, and streaming vs downloaded files, and about Audible.com vs audible.co.uk. Bottom line, if I purchase a new Sonos system now, will I be able to play Audible files from audible.co.uk from my iphone 6 through a wireless connection in my home? My wife likes to walk around the house listening to her books, she currently uses headphones, will she be able to play same material through Sonos? If not (cheeky question on a Sonos forum) is there a solution that does - just a yes or no answer will suffice.

At this time, the beta details no longer apply as that update is now the latest Sonos version. There isn't currently a direct way to stream Audible books from your iPhone to Sonos without using a workaround through the line-in. This is something that's being worked on for the future.

The line-in is a way to get the tracks playing even without direct support. For example, you could use an Airport Express (with Airplay support) wired into a Sonos player with a line-in (PLAY:5, CONNECT, or CONNECT:AMP) which would allow you to send Audible books from your phone, to the Airport, and then into your Sonos system to be played across any combination of Sonos players in the house.

Let us know if you have any further questions, we're happy to help.

Hi Ryan yes that useful thanks. It does mean an extra €100 on top of the Sonos solution though 😞. However, would it be true to say then that with the Airport express linked to a sonos connect or Play:5 that ANY content from an ios device can be played using airplay regardless of sonos app support?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Airport express hooked to a 5. All AirPlay content will play.
Userlevel 2
Badge
does anyone have a eta when audible is going to be available again?
Im chewing over getting the kids a play one each so they can listen to my audiobooks in bed - bringing the control back to us (atm they use kindles). These would be christmas presents but if audible isnt going to be working by then we need to look for something else.
cheers
I looked up something from Denon - heos...seems to have a similar set up as sonos - so equally bad. I have not investigating anything else. Very disappointing...that the content I own from audible - I can't play seamlessly on my sonos player...I hope that sonos doesn't turn off the ability to listen to other content on my personal network storage!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
#1 they said audible is coming back #2 why would the ever turn off ability to listen to local network content.
#1 audible is coming back - mainly talking about streaming #2 I download audible files - I can't listen to them like other downloaded content why take that capability away. there appears to be more focus on streaming music systems like Pandora, Spotify and others...I just don't want to see it go away
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There is something about the file format audible uses on downloaded content that they could no longer support.
#1 audible is coming back - mainly talking about streaming #2 I download audible files - I can't listen to them like other downloaded content why take that capability away. there appears to be more focus on streaming music systems like Pandora, Spotify and others...I just don't want to see it go away

Sonos has done similar in the past when it removed support for wma drm IIRC. Since this is content you own, depending on where you live it may be legal for you to remove the DRM/convert to mp3 so that you can play the files.
Userlevel 1
This is very annoying. I haven't signed up for the beta in the first place but still I've lost audible. Can you advise please?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The full release version removes audible not beta. You will have to wait for the new version to come out. With Apple Music priority here next few weeks I would expect it to be January coming back. (Educated guess from following not known info from Sonos).
Userlevel 1
Update:
We are working to make this replacement available as soon as possible, but have not yet set a target for the release date. When we have more information to share, we’ll provide an update to you via this thread. While we don’t know exactly when you can expect Audible streaming to be made available on Sonos, we do know that it won’t be ready in time for our next public beta program.

It has been 3 months since this was posted. Can we get an update or a better ETA on when to expect forward motion on this important feature? Amazon Echo can play Audible audio books and we can control it via voice, so I am sure Sonos can figure out how to stream Audible! This is one feature that is holding me back from purchasing multiple Sonos speakers for different rooms in my home.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Update:
We are working to make this replacement available as soon as possible, but have not yet set a target for the release date. When we have more information to share, we’ll provide an update to you via this thread. While we don’t know exactly when you can expect Audible streaming to be made available on Sonos, we do know that it won’t be ready in time for our next public beta program.

It has been 3 months since this was posted. Can we get an update or a better ETA on when to expect forward motion on this important feature? Amazon Echo can play Audible audio books and we can control it via voice, so I am sure Sonos can figure out how to stream Audible! This is one feature that is holding me back from purchasing multiple Sonos speakers for different rooms in my home.

Hi Fredrick,

Thanks for asking. We don't have an update right now, but we'll let you all know as soon as there is one. In the meantime, if you have a Sonos component with a Line-In there are some workarounds you can use to send the audio books from one of your devices to Sonos, outlined here. Rest assured, we'll update this thread as soon as there's news.
Userlevel 2
Yeah, I'm certainly not updating. I will also refrain from expanding my existing Sonos system (2xP3, 1xP5, 1xP1, Connect, Bridge, Booster, Dock, and a broken CR200) with the planned addition of the Soundbar and another pair of P5s as I cannot be sure how long I am actually going to be able to use it for my intended purposes, if you can just delete features that clearly are being used by your audience.

The Audible implementation surely was never great (low quality files) but at least I could play/pause/resume my audio books via any speaker in the house. The AUX-variant is not a viable alternative, I am hosting all my books, as my FLAC music, on a central server.

I seriously hope you reconsider this decision, I think this is not the right way to go for your user base. Who do you think is the potential customer that spends thousands of EUR/USD on your hardware - the teenager that only wants easy access to the newest tracks via stream? I like the convenience of Spotify for occasionally listening to music that I do not have in my collection, but in general, I still am a collector, as are probably many other of the users that actually spend this kind of money on a networked premium home audio system.
Once again, Sonos is not eliminating the ability to play your own music library. This is a temporary loss of Audible support, just until the Audible streaming implementation is completed.
I am confused. Sonos will no longer see any of my Audible files. I thought as long as I had them in my library, Sonos would play them. That's how it was a month ago.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
I was asked by Audible to participate in an online survey today. I took the opportunity to let them know I am unhappy with the current lack of integration with SONOS and the indefinite wait time to regain use of my audiobooks on SONOS.
Wow. I just purchased two 1s and was about buy 4 more plus sound bar and more. But now find out I can't play audible when I read that you could. Guess I'll have to return the speakers and look for another setup. Bummer. Was getting excited about setting up a complete system.
Wow. I just purchased two 1s and was about buy 4 more plus sound bar and more. But now find out I can't play audible when I read that you could. Guess I'll have to return the speakers and look for another setup. Bummer. Was getting excited about setting up a complete system.

Did you read that Sonos is working on a streaming solution for audible that will provide better support and more features? You will be quite disappointed to buy an inferior system and then see Sonos bring back even better audible support in a couple months.
Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes of course you were 😉
Come on SONOS, surely you have a project plan showing an estimated availability date ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Come on SONOS, surely you have a project plan showing an estimated availability date ?

We don't currently have one that we're sharing publicly at this time, but we'll let you know as soon as we do.

Just an FYI, it is stated Sonos policy to not discuss current/future project plans until they reach public beta, and even then they never give a specific timeline for public release. Very rarely do they vary from this policy, with Apple Music being the exception, probably because Apple announced it first.