Answered

Important Information for Audible Listeners

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

600 replies

Ah, then I didn't understand that it was a question, my apologies. To my knowledge, they've never backed off the commitment to return Audible to the platform. I am of the opinion that it will be relatively shortly, since the integration with Alexa has just finished, and that would be with what I assume are the same engineers at Amazon who would be working on the Audible rework. I could be wrong, though.

I do think that there was an error made earlier in the year in which a representative made reference to a date, which becomes challenging to meet if some other emergency fire pops up in the software...which seems to have happened. I imagine that there are limited numbers of resources at both Sonos and Amazon that can work on the code bases, and I would hope that those are now free.

But, all of this is just conjecture on my part, which is why I was asking if you had other information. I would be most interested if someone could point to anything that counters my thought process. I don't work for Sonos, I can't promise that what I "think" is happening is actually happening. I'm basing my conjectures on previous work in software development, and comments that forum moderators have said.
Badge
Thank you. Here’s hoping u are right
John M wrote:

Update: In the fall of last year we discovered that an update was incompatible with the existing Audible integration on Sonos and made the decision to remove the service. We realize it’s frustrating not to have an easy way to listen to your Audible books on Sonos. We’re working with the Audible team to make sure that when the service does return, we provide the best possible experience.

In the meantime, if you’re looking to get your audiobooks playing on Sonos, we can offer some suggestions here.

Update February 8, 2017: We know a lot of Audible fans are eager to get Audible back working on their Sonos systems and we’re pleased to announce that Sonos and Audible have committed to bringing Audible back to Sonos soon. Please bear with us—we appreciate your patience!

I contacted Aaudible to see how I could link the book I just purchased to Sonos without becoming a subscriber and they said nothing would be done until next summer. This is frustrating, and very disappointing.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
johogin wrote:

I contacted Aaudible to see how I could link the book I just purchased to Sonos without becoming a subscriber and they said nothing would be done until next summer. This is frustrating, and very disappointing.

If correct, that will make three years without Audible support.
[quote=mwiseman]
johogin wrote:

If correct, that will make three years without Audible support.[/quote

Thanks for the info and that is so discouraging for me. I have a six speaker system including a Sonos 5 and 3 and this is just horrible. When I purchased the system, it played Audible, that was two plus years ago.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I would highly expect Audible in the next few months with everything Sonos has going on with Amazon and the fact they have said it is coming very soon.
Chris wrote:

I would highly expect Audible in the next few months with everything Sonos has going on with Amazon and the fact they have said it is coming very soon.

Sonos has been consistently saying that they're bring back Audible functionality ever since 2015, when it was removed. Why would you expect, that in 2018, they're suddenly going to start delivering on their promisses?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Neacaise they have said so and it is in the marketing material for Sonos One. Meaning to me they expected to have out at year end. So therefore I would still expect the release to be any moment now.
Badge
A new year and new hope
I have spent thousands of dollars on these speakers and regret for one primary reason. The inability to play Audible books. I have been subscriber to audible for 7 years. When I originally bought the first 7 Sonos speakers Audible worked. They removed this functionality and then promised to return for over 3 years now. I have been checking this forum every month for the past 3 years just to disappointed again and again. I just carry the iPhone around and listen to the books on the phone speaker. As the Sonos crap collects dust.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I wouldn't wait a month to check again - I would start checking weekly.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Chris wrote:

:P
Badge +1
Chris wrote:

That is a very reassuring thought!!!
Badge +1
But with just a tinge of optimism possibly?
Indeed, that's the problem with predicting software development. There can potentially be issues that are unseen that arise, and cause a postponement in the release date. We hope it's soon, but can't really say for sure :)
Note that this is a two year old post. The line from Sonos the entire time has been "We're working with Audible to get this back up and will have a solution soon." I don't know how optimistic I can feel about the exact same claim we've been hearing for literally years. I understand that software development can have unforeseen delays, but it's hard to believe that this time it's true when it hasn't been every other time we've heard it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Working on and being soon are two different things. It has started showing up in marketing stuff so I continue to think it will Be this month.
Userlevel 1
If you keep saying that eventually you'll be right.

I'm not holding my breath.
Badge +1
I don't get it, they updated this thread a year ago letting us know they are working on this, and they did not do anything.
How do you guys think this can be? Do they not care, did the Sonos guy updating the post get fired or what happened here?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Buchholdt wrote:

I don't get it, they updated this thread a year ago letting us know they are working on this, and they did not do anything.
How do you guys think this can be? Do they not care, did the Sonos guy updating the post get fired or what happened here?

What happened is that Amazon made a change to the Audible implementation that stopped it working on Sonos.
Amazon have been busy on getting other things done rather than getting Audible up and running on Sonos
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Stuart_W wrote:

Buchholdt wrote:

What happened is that Amazon made a change to the Audible implementation that stopped it working on Sonos.
Amazon have been busy on getting other things done rather than getting Audible up and running on Sonos

Quite right.
Amazon broke it.
How. It’s how Sonos works. Amazon changes made it incompatible with Sonos.
Amazon broke it.
Amazon introduced syncing on audible which requires the player to write back to your Amazon account the position it got up to.
Amazon broke it.
Sonos ONLY fetches what it plays. Sonos DOES NOT write anything to anything.
Amazon broke it.
Sonos would have to completely rewrite their software to accomdate this. Never going to happen.
Amazon broke it.
You would be squealing if Audible did not work properly. Oh yes you would. You know you would.
Amazon broke it.
Is it even legal for a third party app to write to your personal Amazon account? Would you want a third party app poking about in your personal Amazon app? Would Amazon allow a third party app to access their customers accounts?
See!
Amazon broke it.

Meanwhile, amazon have had all digits inserted in their posteriors beacuse they were bored and couldn’t be bothered. Or have they been rather busy developing product innovation for the home (another subject this forum is full of over entitled hyperbolic ranting).

Will Audible ever play from Sonos. Likely NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER. Because of the writing to your account.
Will Audible be able to be played on Sonos. YES. From the Audible app on your device. When Amazon get round to it.

When Amazon get round to it. After all, Amazon broke it.

Amazon broke it.

As Amazon broke it, what Amazon told you when you asked them when they were going to do something?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
BoredofBalham wrote:

Sonos ONLY fetches what it plays. Sonos DOES NOT write anything to anything.
Amazon broke it.
Sonos would have to completely rewrite their software to accomdate this. Never going to happen.
Amazon broke it.
You would be squealing if Audible did not work properly. Oh yes you would. You know you would.
Amazon broke it.
Is it even legal for a third party app to write to your personal Amazon account? Would you want a third party app poking about in your personal Amazon app? Would Amazon allow a third party app to access their customers accounts?
See!
Amazon broke it.

erm. Not true !
Sonos is perfectly capable of writing back to a music service if that service supports it. There is no reason at all why the same cant be done with Audible. Just a case of Amazon enabling it their end (probably the cause of the delay) and Sonos making the necessary changes on their devices.

examples of Sonos writing back to a service:
Soundcloud https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2835/~/soundcloud-and-sonos
"Like the tracks you are listening to directly from the Sonos Controller App!"
Thumbs up/down on google, pandora...
Creating a playlist, saving to a Playlist on Spotify (in the Sonos app)

As for allowing a 3rd party to poke about in your XYZ account - this is exactly what you agree to when adding XYZ music service in sonos.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
BoredofBalham wrote:

Amazon broke it... Amazon broke it... Amazon broke it... Amazon broke it... Amazon broke it... Amazon broke it... Amazon broke it... Amazon broke it... Amazon broke it... Amazon broke it...

So, are you saying that Amazon broke it?
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
mwiseman wrote:

BoredofBalham wrote:

Amazon broke it... Amazon broke it... Amazon broke it... Amazon broke it... Amazon broke it... Amazon broke it... Amazon broke it... Amazon broke it... Amazon broke it... Amazon broke it...

So, are you saying that Amazon broke it?

Whether they have or not, will it be back before Sonos releases the update that kills the CR100? On past performance...

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings