Answered

Important Information for Audible Listeners

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

615 replies

Is there a timeline when the audible support will be back up? This indeed is a critical factor to me and I would appreciate it a lot if Audible would be back within the next weeks or months if needed... Even with a decreased streaming rate :)

Feedback is highly appreciated 🙂
John M.

Two issues. One is that Sonos is removing functionality that I, and probably many others, understood was supported when we bought our gear. By removing support for an existing format, you are removing a whole class of content after we have made a buying decision. At the very least, I would expect to receive the courtesy of a reasonable explanation for the withdrawal. Your post does not offer such an explanation.

Second, while you are developing a streaming alternative, you ought to at least allow those of us who have been using Audible to continue to do so. I joined the public beta before understanding that I would lose the ability to play Audible files. I have left the beta program, and reinstalled the release software, according to your instructions, but am unable to access my Audible service, or to play Audible files.

Your advice?
What the?? I bought several new Sonos speakers in order to start playing Audible in additional areas. This is the number one reason I bought them. I used to be able to play Audible files but now I get an error message. I tried to re-enter my Audible account and keep getting an error message. Please help! I'm past the time to return these speakers to the store. This seems like a crazy thing to do. Stop customers from using an existing feature before creating a new way to use the service? I'm running Sonos 5.5. Otherwise, please tell me you are offering a buy-back program of some sort for those of us who relied on what you said. And continue to say! My current instruction manual clearly states that Audible files are supported. And yet according to what you are saying they aren't.
This is EXTREMELY annoying! Your explanation is ABSOLUTELY non sense. Why would you EVER stop supporting audible service? Reintegrate the feature ASAP! I am already looking at other products. A speaker should be able to play sound and I mean ALL kind of sound. AT LEAST INTEGRATE A FEATURE TO STREAM EVERYTHING LIKE CHROMECAST DOES! A SIMPLE BLUETOOTH SPEAKER of €30 is now of more value to me than this super expensive Sonos NON SENSE!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It must have something to do with HLS support. Complaints about bbc overroad waiting until new audible finished. Sounds like should be back soon. I have chrome cast full capability on my Sonos with chrome cast dongle hooked to play:5. We don't know yet what Sonos is going to do regarding native chrome cast audio as it is brand new
This is great news!
Badge +18
Earlier today, we sent this email to a group of Audible subscribers. Because we have an incomplete list of everyone who uses Audible on Sonos, I'm sharing the message here as well:

In a few weeks, we'll be updating our software and unfortunately your downloaded Audible audiobooks will no longer play over Sonos. They'll still work on your computer, they just won't play from the Sonos app.

We realize this is frustrating. It frustrates us, too. When we originally added support for Audible, the world was all about downloads. Today, Sonos and Audible believe streaming offers a better listening experience. But before Sonos and Audible were able to work together to implement streaming, several pieces of code in this update broke compatibility with the older format found in Audible downloads.

For additional information, please visit this site for Audible listeners on Sonos: Sonos.com/audible.

We want to reiterate our commitment to working with Audible on a new and improved way of streaming your favorite audiobooks.

As always, if you have any additional questions, please contact: Sonos.com/support.
In a few weeks, we'll be updating our software and unfortunately your downloaded Audible audiobooks will no longer play over Sonos. They'll still work on your computer, they just won't play from the Sonos app.

Just to be clear. You mean that in the future, we will always have to listen to Audible books via a streaming internet connection? We won't be able to listen to Audible books via any local storage? And if that's the case, does that also mean that all the music we listen to will also have to come from a streaming service? No more local files for music either?
Badge +18

Just to be clear. You mean that in the future, we will always have to listen to Audible books via a streaming internet connection? We won't be able to listen to Audible books via any local storage? And if that's the case, does that also mean that all the music we listen to will also have to come from a streaming service? No more local files for music either?

Insofar as Audible is concerned, yes. We plan to create a streaming solution for Audible that will use your Internet connection to play content via your Sonos. We don't intend to include support for downloaded Audible files. It will still be possible to download Audible files to a computer or mobile device and connect to a line-in port on Sonos, if that's preferable for your setup.

We don't have any plans to end support for local files. While we do believe that streaming music is the future, there are many people who still have local music libraries they actively listen to on a daily basis. Rest assured, you won't see local music support being removed any time in the foreseeable future.
Is it possible to revert to the old software that will allow me to play my audible stuff and if so were can I find how to do this?

Thanks for your time
Badge +18
Is it possible to revert to the old software that will allow me to play my audible stuff and if so were can I find how to do this?

Thanks for your time

It is not possible to revert to older software on Sonos and we recommend that you update your software to the latest version. We know that the current situation with Audible is not ideal and we've put together some information on how to get Audible playing through Sonos that you'll find here. If none of those workarounds is possible from your system, give us a call and we'll help you find a solution in this interim.
Badge
I realise that this is probably being driven by Audible rather than Sonos, I wish companies would remember that not everyone has access to broadband that is good enough to stream data.
While I can stream data it has to be the ONLY thing I do on the internet at that time, otherwise I risk dropouts and long buffering sessions.

I'm one of the lucky ones too, as I can actually get 5mbps down (and there is some hope of better to come), some areas near me are lucky to get 1mbps down so streaming really isn't an option and the ability to play from LOCAL storage is essential.

Mobile data I hear people say... no that's not an option for everyone either. Satellite might be an option but one I'm trying to avoid due to high cost and latency.

So in a nutshell please remember that streaming data isn't the panacea for everyone!
If I turn off automatic software updates to my SONOS apps (Windows and iPad) in the advanced settings area and because my audible account is already set up and working, will I be able to continue to manage (re-index) my iTunes music library in the SONOS windows app and play my audible format 4 audio books as I do now? I plan to leave my SONOS software "as is" until streaming from audible becomes available on SONOS.
I don't think there is any way to guarantee that you won't be forced to update at some point. The settings in Sonos only prevent the system from looking for updates, it does not prevent them from being implemented if they are initiated by accident. The settings in your controllers to not process Windows or Apple updates should help but they do not absolutely guarantee that there won't be something that kicks off an update. Once that happens then there is no way to recover.
We don't have any plans to end support for local files. While we do believe that streaming music is the future, there are many people who still have local music libraries they actively listen to on a daily basis. Rest assured, you won't see local music support being removed any time in the foreseeable future.

This is extremely disturbing. My local library is mainly ALL I use Sonos for. Occasionally I'll turn on Sirius, but the local library is where it is at for me. I take my Sonos on the road with me in my RV and streaming services are NOT an option because of their broadband requirements and limitations presented by being on the road.

Sonos was built on local music libraries. Nice that they are moving to the future that way, but don't forget about those of us that got you to where you are... those of us that aren't interested in streaming services. And if you do arrive at the 'foreseeable future,' I'm hopeful you'll give plenty of notice about that update so that we don't end up like the Spotify guys and their playlists.
I think the idea that the world is moving to a "streaming only" paradigm is a little exaggerated... sort of like the idea that tablets would completely replace laptops by 2015. Just as folks are shifting to convertible laptops and larger tablets with snap on keyboards, I think you will see a similar analogy in music consumption. There are plenty of people who have been burned by mistaking music services as a "utility grade" offering only to find they weren't working on the day of the big party or other critical event. Rural folks also scoff at the idea that internet service will ever be reliable enough that you can depend on it as your only source for music (or anything else). Then of course there are the serious music collectors who don't like the idea that their favorite artist might decide to pull their catalog from a given service or insist that an older version of one of their famous songs be pulled so people can only access the new (and usually dreadful) re-recorded version.

People have been declaring the death of vinyl records for decades and yet you still have folks on this forum asking how to hook up their turntables. I fully expect that locally stored music libraries will enjoy a similar longevity.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I also find this disturbing, especially the equivocal 'foreseeable future' - which essentially means 'Sonos is not going to provide any commitment to retain this functionality'. And what exactly does 'foreseeable future' actually mean? Next year? The year after? Presumably if we'd asked a year ago whether Sonos might one day remove the ability to play local Audible files we'd have got a similar answer.

Similar to BCM, I use Sonos SOLELY to play music content stored locally on my network (FLAC files ripped from a vast CD collection). The excellent capabilities of the Sonos system to play my local music collection in different rooms of the house was the only reason that I made the investment that I did to buy into Sonos. I appreciate that others are now streaming, and it's great what Sonos are doing to meet that need, but it's not what my Sonos system was purchased for, and not what I use it for.

Come on Sonos...please give us an unequivocal "we can re-assure you that we'll never remove the ability to play locally stored music files".
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Don"t know if there is any basis for this "rumour"' but if the ability to play my locally stored music files is removed, then for me certainly, it's goodbye Sonos.
Hope it's not true as although I stream via Spotify quite a lot, I also play my music files.
This is absolutely ridiculous, Why would you remove support for playing local Audible files? As much as you may think that streaming is the "way of the future" the fact of the matter is that it is simply not tenable. There are many people who don't have reliable internet connections, are stuck on metered connections which do not allow for much streaming or both. Allowing for streaming audible files is great, it'd allow people who can take advantage of it a new way to consume their purchased content, but for Pete's sake, don't remove local file support at the same time as that is simply a boneheaded move that would only serve to rile up your customer base and push them towards other solutions instead of spending that same money staying with the ecosystem presented here. So please reconsider your course of action.
There is no need to panic. Sonos did not suggest that they would ever remove the ability to play locally stored music. They simply expressed a somewhat "left coast" metro centric view that music consumption is moving towards a pure streaming model. While it is trending in that direction there is about as much chance of locally stored music going away completely as there was of achieving the "paperless society" that was predicted at the turn of the century.

The concern is not that Sonos will completely stop supporting local music libraries but that they will divert all of their development resources to supporting transient music service features and away from the development of long requested local music library features and improvements.
Everybody whined and complained about getting Sonos to use Audible for streaming because downloading was a pain and didn't support whispersync. Now everyone is complaining that they will not be able to download. You can't please people all the time I guess.

Also, Whispersync is an Amazon service. If you are streaming it from Audible, Amazon is keeping track of where you are in the book, not Sonos. 🙂

I do mostly streaming with Sonos. Very few are actual downloads on my computer.
Badge
yes ukjohn99 is right - this is an insane upgrade from sonos. I am sitting here unable to play the audio story that I was playing last night to my kids, because I took your upgrade. Microsoft learned back in the day when they became a key system: backward compatibility is essential. This is really poor SONOS, really poor.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I was under impression Sonos sent email out warning everyone about audible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hello everyone,

The update for Sonos version 6.0 is now available and as John mentioned, systems that upgrade will no longer have access to Audible or Audible files on Sonos. We’re working with Audible to get a streaming solution available for the service on Sonos, but at this time don’t have specific details for you on the timeframe. As soon as we have news we’ll be updating you all, but for the moment, we’re sorry for the interruption to your audiobooks.

For more information please see our page here: http://sonos.com/audible
So, interesting but confusing reading. I am not yet a Sonos user, but as my wife is a very keen Audible consumer, I don't want to buy a system that cannot play Audible wirelessly through the proposed Sonos home sound network. I am confused about Beta/Non beta mentions, about 'line-in' mentions, and streaming vs downloaded files, and about Audible.com vs audible.co.uk. Bottom line, if I purchase a new Sonos system now, will I be able to play Audible files from audible.co.uk from my iphone 6 through a wireless connection in my home? My wife likes to walk around the house listening to her books, she currently uses headphones, will she be able to play same material through Sonos? If not (cheeky question on a Sonos forum) is there a solution that does - just a yes or no answer will suffice.