Important Information for Audible Listeners

Show first post

527 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
sweetaction wrote:

John M wrote:

Update February 8, 2017: We know a lot of Audible fans are eager to get Audible back working on their Sonos systems and we’re pleased to announce that Sonos and Audible have committed to bringing Audible back to Sonos by this summer. Please bear with us—we appreciate your patience!

So based on the fact that we are clearly past the mid point of summer (Tuesday, June 20), and it has been 138 days since this promise has been made and no updates, I would like to request an update from sonos regarding a date for this. I have been watching this for A LONG TIME NOW, given I bought my sonos with the intention of using it with audible, only to find the feature was deprecated weeks before I bought it, and then promised to return with ever extending time frames. Sadly, I can't use the line in feature as the units I have don't support it.

Please provide an update to this.

Actually. Summer starts on the summer solstice. So summer is but a wee baby
Stuart_W wrote:

sweetaction wrote:

John M wrote:

Update February 8, 2017: We know a lot of Audible fans are eager to get Audible back working on their Sonos systems and we’re pleased to announce that Sonos and Audible have committed to bringing Audible back to Sonos by this summer. Please bear with us—we appreciate your patience!

So based on the fact that we are clearly past the mid point of summer (Tuesday, June 20), and it has been 138 days since this promise has been made and no updates, I would like to request an update from sonos regarding a date for this. I have been watching this for A LONG TIME NOW, given I bought my sonos with the intention of using it with audible, only to find the feature was deprecated weeks before I bought it, and then promised to return with ever extending time frames. Sadly, I can't use the line in feature as the units I have don't support it.

Please provide an update to this.

Actually. Summer starts on the summer solstice. So summer is but a wee baby

Sure, point is they missed the deadline previously shared of "by this summer". I am not saying it needs to be done this instant, what I am asking for is an update on expectations. Just a little communication.
So my poor Sonos (x3) have been sat gathering dust for over a year while we await the promise of a fix. I wish I had never bought them and I feel let down by the company. Summer is here, yet Sonos still won't grace us with an update, I mean, really, how hard would it be for them to just give a date?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
theBoys wrote:

So my poor Sonos (x3) have been sat gathering dust for over a year while we await the promise of a fix. I wish I had never bought them and I feel let down by the company. Summer is here, yet Sonos still won't grace us with an update, I mean, really, how hard would it be for them to just give a date?

I don't expect a precise date, and will even understand if the general timeframe of summer needed to be pushed up - project development is like that. But I find it comically typical that they have just let this back and forth about by summer/during summer/on the 1st/on the 20th/depends what the meaning of is is debate go back and forth for weeks without the small courtesy of a clarification of general intent. I can't recall ever seeing this level of in-your-face contempt for customers before this odyssey with Sonos and Audible, and for my own sanity I've decided to find it wildly, absurdly hilarious. What a bunch of client service lunatics.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
jgatie wrote:

Since Steve_199 seems bent on peppering the forum with accusations that Sonos is lying about future features, I would like him to list just a single time Sonos has pre-announced a feature and not followed through. His carefully crafted analysis must be based on some past history, no? Just one instance of not meeting an announced goal will go a long way towards credibility, Steve_199. If this were Denon you were talking about, we'd all be on board because they have a history of promising new features (Google Cast, Windows app, Alexa) and not delivering. However, I'm really hard pressed to find even one instance where Sonos failed in this way.

"Bent on peppering"? Says the guy with 13,500 posts to my 22.

I don't care about other times, what I know is Audible was on Sonos, now it's not. They say they're bringing it back but a year and 18 pages of comments later, nothing. I want the feature, I can't believe it's not on Sonos. I'm challenging them to get it working again, people are waiting.

J, you love posting and making excuses for the company. Tell us some things they've promises and delivered on time. Give me some reason to believe..
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Smilja wrote:

Steve_199 wrote:

If Sonos people wanted to put the Audible app onto their system, it would be there already. A couple of software engineers could have knocked this problem out in a long weekend.

Gosh! Your grasp of software engineering is breathtaking.

Hey, I did say a "long weekend". I'll bring the Red Bull, let's set this up! I think they can do it.
Steve_199 wrote:

J, you love posting and making excuses for the company. Tell us some things they've promises and delivered on time. Give me some reason to believe..

Sonos almost never pre-announces products, but here are a few:

Spotify. Google Play Music with casting from Android. Apple Music, which was pre-announced many months before the implementation. Amazon Prime Music, both in the USA and UK/Germany. Spotify Direct Control, announced in the same press release as Alexa, with as firm a delivery date as Sonos ever gives. Ditto for the whole home control API delivered this year.

Need more? The simple fact is, Sonos has never pre-announced something and then not delivered. Ever. Period.

And P.S. - I've been here 9 years. Thats about 4 posts a day. Most of which are helping people.
Badge +1
Hoping this Sonos-Audible integration will include Audible's CHANNELS, which are included in Amazon Prime subscriptions. In other words, if one's not an Audible subscriber, yet one is has Amazon Prime membership, one has access to these podcasts via mobile device. It would be great to stream directly through Sonos.
MondoTechnoir wrote:

Hoping this Sonos-Audible integration will include Audible's CHANNELS, which are included in Amazon Prime subscriptions. In other words, if one's not an Audible subscriber, yet one is has Amazon Prime membership, one has access to these podcasts via mobile device. It would be great to stream directly through Sonos.

Well if you want that then the long weekend needed to integrate Audible might have to stretch to Tuesday lunchtime.
Badge
ZZZZzzzzz .... wake me up when we finally get there.
Bill_29 wrote:

ZZZZzzzzz .... wake me up when we finally get there.

Yeah... promised.
John M wrote:

Update: In the fall of last year we discovered that an update was incompatible with the existing Audible integration on Sonos and made the decision to remove the service. We realize it’s frustrating not to have an easy way to listen to your Audible books on Sonos. We’re working with the Audible team to make sure that when the service does return, we provide the best possible experience.

In the meantime, if you’re looking to get your audiobooks playing on Sonos, we can offer some suggestions here.

I'm not feeling very patient.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
my guess is this is probably related in some way to the alexa rollout since there is a close tie-in with amazon.

Not saying you will need an echo to play audible but just that whatever API is being developed between the two of them for alexa probably also considers Audible integration in some way.

When Alexa integration is launched lets hope Audible comes with it at the same time (if not before!)

Note - I have no inside knowledge on this - just a hunch !
Meteorological Summer ends on Aug 31... 27 days to go
Astronomical Summer ends on Sep 21... 48 days to go

Any news? Pretty please?
Badge
Correct. However, consider this; each season is roughly 3 months. We know that in the northern hemisphere mid summer is approx 21st June. That means that summer would start six weeks before 21st June and end six weeks after, approx first week in August. So there you have it. Summer is gone and no more news.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
fullerscopes wrote:

We know that in the northern hemisphere mid summer is approx 21st June. That means that summer would start six weeks before 21st June and end six weeks after, approx first week in August. .

Summer has come and gone here in Salvador, Brasil. And now the harsh winter has taken hold, with temperatures as low as 24C. Should I, too, be whining about no Alexa for my Sonos?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Sometimes when I'm bored I make cricket sounds come out of my Sonos speakers, and I laugh and laugh.
MetaGirl67 wrote:

Sometimes when I'm bored I make cricket sounds come out of my Sonos speakers, and I laugh and laugh.

You've invested in Sonos solely for Audible? :cool:
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Of course not! I listen to all kinds of stuff. The crickets are for when I'm playing pretend Sonos customer support. It's super fun!
MetaGirl67 wrote:

Of course not! I listen to all kinds of stuff. The crickets are for when I'm playing pretend Sonos customer support. It's super fun!

Why not... it's vacation time! :) Still 37d:14h:36min to go 'til Sept. 21st.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I now have an Echo Dot sending Audible to a decent Bluetooth speaker. I just talk to the little thing and it's starts playing my audio books. For whole-house audiobooks, it's Audible though the Airport Express connected to my Connect, but that requires fingers on iPads. And I can say "Alexa, play crickets." Life is good.
Alright alright, that cricket stuff sold me on it.
Echo Show for the open kitchen, regular Echos for the remaining rooms, battery-powered Echo Tap for the garden and when I'm at the beach. Calm radio subscription for the chirps and clicks.
Toolio wrote:

[...] but that requires fingers on iPads.

... Unless an Echo Dot is connected to a Connect. Works great. ;-)
Smilja wrote:

Toolio wrote:

[...] but that requires fingers on iPads.

... Unless an Echo Dot is connected to a Connect. Works great. ;-)

Alternatively, simply enable autoplay in the Sonos device's line-in settings menu.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Alexa thus far has no love for Canada, so not an option for me, which is a bummer because of course every reasonable person wants every gadget ever made, right now. Right now!

On a related note, if you haven't seen SNL's "Amazon Echo Silver" skit it's worth a minute. Makes me laugh just thinking about it. Sorry I can't test this video link, as SNL stuff from NBC is geo-blocked here, but this should work if you're in the US:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/14/amazon-echo-saturday-night-live-skit/

"Alessandra, play crickets!"

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P