Important Information for Audible Listeners


Badge +3
  • Sonos Staff
  • 2067 replies
Update: In the fall of last year we discovered that an update was incompatible with the existing Audible integration on Sonos and made the decision to remove the service. We realize it’s frustrating not to have an easy way to listen to your Audible books on Sonos. We’re working with the Audible team to make sure that when the service does return, we provide the best possible experience.

In the meantime, if you’re looking to get your audiobooks playing on Sonos, we can offer some suggestions here.


Update February 8, 2017: We know a lot of Audible fans are eager to get Audible back working on their Sonos systems and we’re pleased to announce that Sonos and Audible have committed to bringing Audible back to Sonos soon. Please bear with us—we appreciate your patience!

527 replies

Userlevel 1
Very bad news! Audible should be supported from Sonos.
Agree with wurchr. I have a ton of music from artist that doesn't exist on The internet on Any streaming service. As The songs are only released on vinyls (and when in digital form ripped at home).
Ofcourse i can Work this out by either hook up a recordplayer to Sonos or use some 3.5mm to play them but it's sad I need another step to listen to them.
Badge
wurchr wrote:

Very bad news! Audible should be supported from Sonos.



Wurchr, they are going to support audible, better than ever before! It is just being removed in the Beta, if you still need audible support in its current form then remove your self from the Beta program, link is provided in the original post.
Fredrik Fransson wrote:

Agree with wurchr. I have a ton of music from artist that doesn't exist on The internet on Any streaming service. As The songs are only released on vinyls (and when in digital form ripped at home).
Ofcourse i can Work this out by either hook up a recordplayer to Sonos or use some 3.5mm to play them but it's sad I need another step to listen to them.



I think you are misinterpreting. The statement from Sonos has nothing to do with your own digitized library, from vinyl or any other medium. Those will play just fine. The statement applies to the Audible format, which is a download/streaming service that offers digital audiobooks, radio and TV programs, and audio versions of magazines and newspapers, not music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audible.com
Badge
Fredrik Fransson wrote:

I have a ton of music from artist that doesn't exist on The internet



Sorry Fredrik Fransson I do not understand how this is related to audible? Audible is a audiobook company now owned by Amazon.
Badge +1
How can Sonos improving the Audible integration be bad news? This is great news!
All John M is saying, is that you should not participate in the beta for now, if you are an Audible user. As long as you keep using the regular controller software, you can still use Audible. Sonos won't remove the current Audible service, untill the new one is available.
munkymorgy wrote:

Fredrik Fransson wrote:

I have a ton of music from artist that doesn't exist on The internet



Sorry Fredrik Fransson I do not understand how this is related to audible? Audible is a audiobook company now owned by Amazon.



Because they goofed. The Swedish newsletter states

Ljudfiler stöds inte längre på Sonos. Ljudfiler kommer att sluta spela på Sonos när du uppgraderar ditt system och kommer inte längre visas i ditt Sonos-musikbibliotek.

"Ljudfiler" = audio files

The translator apparently missed that it said Audible and not audio files.

Sloppy.

So yes, in Sweden the devices will no longer play audio files. :p
John M wrote:

Earlier this year, we discovered that the current Audible implementation on Sonos would be incompatible with changes coming in this fall’s software update. Knowing that our Audible integration was badly out-of-date, we made the decision to remove the existing service and develop a replacement in partnership with Audible that uses streaming (rather than downloads) to create a better listening experience on Sonos.

We are working to make this replacement available as soon as possible, but have not yet set a target for the release date. When we have more information to share, we’ll provide an update to you via this thread. While we don’t know exactly when you can expect Audible streaming to be made available on Sonos, we do know that it won’t be ready in time for our next public beta program.

Our next public beta program, scheduled to begin in the near future, will remove the existing Audible service from Sonos. If you join the beta and update, your Sonos system will no longer index Audible files or display them as part of your music library. If you use Audible regularly and wish to continue listening on Sonos for the time being, you can remove yourself from the public beta program using the instructions here.

Note: If you are currently a tester participating in any confidential program, we are not changing the confidentiality of your program at this time. Please refrain from sharing any specifics of your particular program unless you are informed otherwise. Thank you for your understanding.



You may want to resend the Swedish version of the newsletter... Your translator goofed in a most impressive fashion. ;)
Janjoh wrote:

munkymorgy wrote:

Fredrik Fransson wrote:

I have a ton of music from artist that doesn't exist on The internet



Sorry Fredrik Fransson I do not understand how this is related to audible? Audible is a audiobook company now owned by Amazon.



Because they goofed. The Swedish newsletter states

Ljudfiler stöds inte längre på Sonos. Ljudfiler kommer att sluta spela på Sonos när du uppgraderar ditt system och kommer inte längre visas i ditt Sonos-musikbibliotek.

"Ljudfiler" = audio files

The translator apparently missed that it said Audible and not audio files.

Sloppy.

So yes, in Sweden the devices will no longer play audio files. :p



So I guess it was Sonos who misinterpreted. :-D
Badge +3
jgatie wrote:

Janjoh wrote:

munkymorgy wrote:

Fredrik Fransson wrote:

I have a ton of music from artist that doesn't exist on The internet



Sorry Fredrik Fransson I do not understand how this is related to audible? Audible is a audiobook company now owned by Amazon.



Because they goofed. The Swedish newsletter states

Ljudfiler stöds inte längre på Sonos. Ljudfiler kommer att sluta spela på Sonos när du uppgraderar ditt system och kommer inte längre visas i ditt Sonos-musikbibliotek.

"Ljudfiler" = audio files

The translator apparently missed that it said Audible and not audio files.

Sloppy.

So yes, in Sweden the devices will no longer play audio files. :p



So I guess it was Sonos who misinterpreted. :-D



Yes, indeed - we goofed. The translation is incorrect, support for Audible file playback is being removed, not audio file playback. Please accept our sincere apologies for the mistake and any confusion caused by it.
Badge +1
I saw that strange translation also and wondered what they actually meant :)

Same translation issue in PC app
Userlevel 1
munkymorgy wrote:

wurchr wrote:

Very bad news! Audible should be supported from Sonos.



Wurchr, they are going to support audible, better than ever before! It is just being removed in the Beta, if you still need audible support in its current form then remove your self from the Beta program, link is provided in the original post.



ok. I didn't realize that. Thank you for your answer!
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Long term, this sounds like great news. Please be sure to include the extend format, aax files.
Sorry for not Reading it completly through.

As Janjoh Said. I read The Swedish newsletter and i got so upset that I didn't Even think that it might be a miss in The translation.

Thanks guys for clearing this up in keep on rocking.
Badge +3
Hi everyone, a quick update. On September 8th, the option to add an Audible account to Sonos was removed. If you have already added an Audible account, it will continue to function, but we recommend that you not remove the account from Sonos for the time being.
Thank you for the helpful post. While it is unfortunate this had to be removed, at least going back to 5.4 was an option, though it took a while to discover what was going on.

In version 6, you still have the option to add/activate an Audible account and the error message asks that we contact Audible support. I just spent over an hour with their support person who went through many files on their side and we wasted this entire time until I found the remark in the beta notes. I understand the need to make feature support decisions during transition. That said:
- If you don't have support, the option should be grayed out
- If you don't have support, you shouldn't ask customers to contact another company's support group (which is what the v6 err said)
- When you have a such a partnership, their support team should be clearly informed on the upcoming potential stream of calls

Cheers
Badge
Hopefully the Audible.com streaming option will support WhisperSync. Not having support for WhisperSync was the primary usability blocker for the current Audible.com implementation.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I totally agree, we have to have whispersync, i often listen in the car and want to switch to my sonos when i get home, but the current way doesn't work and sound quality was so awful that i made a work around using apple airplay. Not ideal but kinda worked.
Please also support aax file format like the apple air play. I can then bin that device.
thanks
Good news! I'm looking forward to the streaming.

One feature request: Since you are collaborating with Audible's team, it would be great to allow the Alarm in Sonos to play Audible's daily updated content (i.e., Wall Street Journal).

You guys are awesome. Keep up the good work!
Arghh. I was hoping for Audible support. I even got into the beta program hoping that would give me access to my 400+ library sooner rather than later. Streaming it not, I would love to have whole house access to my library without the headphones. Almost $2k in gear and a year later, still need ear buds :(
Amazon Audible and Apple iTunes. More concerned with protecting their "digital rights" and profit margins than ensuring customers who have honestly paid for their products and services can make use of them. What a usability nightmare they inflict upon their victims.

Sonos probably more sinned against than sinning, compared to Audible and Apple.

I've just gone out and bought another Play5 just to be able to plug my iPhone into "Line In" so I can listen to my audiobooks.

Audible app on iPhone is a good example of why certain people should not be allowed to develop software.
I would first like to say I love your speakers, but why are you so behind on software and other items. My system just updated and I cannot play audible files. This is just annoying beyond belief. You say you that you have known about this for a while, but you are now just working on it. Why are you so behind. You really need to put some resources into your software.

I want to know how I get my audible back short of breaking the DRM on the files.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Remove yourself from the Beta and revert back to normal release.
Being able to play Audible audio books was one of the my main reasons for buying Sonos. I listen to the audio books on Audible a great deal of which I have many including the language courses. In fact, I just added a Sonos 5 to my two Sonos 1's before I heard this news about not supporting Audible - except for some unspecified time in the future. I would not have bought the Sonos 5 if I had heard about the current uncertain situation with Audible.
Two questions:
1 If I don't update the Sonos software will I be able to continue to listen to Audible files through my Sonos system until the streaming solution is available? ; and
2. Would it not make a great deal more sense to continue to support Audible as at present whilst at the same time working on the future streaming solution? This would be much better customer services.
Sonos is become more and more irrelevant, it doesnt play iplayer contant and it doesnt support Audible and drinks power like electricity is free. Thinking its time to dust off my amp and speakers

Reply

    • :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)