If This Then Sonos

• 7 September 2018
  • 60 replies

Show first post

60 replies

Hi folks!
I'm new to this world, can someone tell me if i can start music from my Sonos with Google Home mini using IFTTT?
I've already set my 2 account on ifttt page, when i say something like "Ok Google start Sonos" (like i've set up on ifttt page) google home mini don't reply to me, it seems like he reached the command but can't send it to Sonos...
Anyone did it?

Yes you can, create an IFTTT routine and select 'Google Assistant' as your trigger and then (as an example) set the phrase you wish to use, such as 'play my favourite playlist'... then ... select 'Sonos' as your action and chose to play a chosen playlist on a particular room, grouped rooms, or everywhere.

There are also many other Sonos actions for setting the volume level, muting/unmuting and skipping next/previous songs etc.

Simply link your Google and Sonos accounts to your IFTTT account.

Hope that helps ?
You are great! it works! Previous version of my applets (find already done on ifttt page) was that said "works with Google assistant" and not "works with Sonos".
That's awesome, hope that sonos improve Google assistant asap, till now i'm in love with IFTTT!:D
Hi folks,
I'm using IFTTT webhook to trigger my Sonos. Webhooks offer the possibility to create a more dynamic applet by passing on attributes. See the documentation at https://maker.ifttt.com/use/add_your_key_here. This content will be passed on to the Action in your Recipe. It seems that the Sonos service in IFTTT does not respect these attributes. This would allow one dynamic applet instead of one applet for each playlist and/or room.
Anyone an idea if I'm missing anything?
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
The ability to add ingredients to an IFTTT recipe would add significantly to the existing capabilities. Sonos' IFTTT integration is still in its infancy, however, and I would suspect (hope?) that something like this is on the roadmap.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
I'd like to add that I was pleased that Amazon removed the "Sending that to IFTTT" response after every trigger command this past week. Big improvement for ANY IFTTT integration involving Alexa.
Userlevel 1
Please add grouping and ungrouping to this!
Userlevel 1
I followed the excellent guide here https://www.macstories.net/ios/how-to-trigger-ifttt-applets-with-ios-12s-new-shortcuts-app-and-siri/

To control Sonos with Apple’s new Shortcut app on iOS 12. Means I can set lighting and play music at a particular volume at the press of a single button or via a single Siri command. Pretty neat.

There are a few things missing though that would really take the Sonos integration to the next level:
- being able to edit the actions so that multiple things can be included in one. For example, playing a particular piece of music at a certain volume. Most of the time you would want to specify the two together
- have a volume change occurr over a specified period of time. For example, if using it is an alarm, I would like to set lights to fade on gradually and, set the radio to gradually come on over a few minutes, starting at say 2% volume and increasing to 15%. Could also work the other way if setting a sleep timer, better than suddenly turning off.
- control things like whether a piece of music should repeat or only play once

Otherwise, it’s working great. Just more complex control and a bit of refinement here and there.

Even better would be Sonos creating their own iOS 12 shortcut connections within the app, but until they come, this is wonderful.
Is there any possibility to pause the music after a specific time similiar to the „slumber mode“ in Sonos Controller?

I would like to use Siri Shortcuts and IFTTT to play music for a specific time when I go to bed.
Userlevel 1
Is there any possibility to pause the music after a specific time similiar to the „slumber mode“ in Sonos Controller?

I would like to use Siri Shortcuts and IFTTT to play music for a specific time when I go to bed.

I believe the next version of Shortcuts, presumably to be released soon, will include time / clock triggered actions. See here:

https://twitter.com/viticci/status/1052303850575519745?s=21

I believe the next version of Shortcuts, presumably to be released soon, will include time / clock triggered actions. See here:

Thank you for your quick response.

I believe it is what I‘m looking for and will work for ne. I hope Apple will release soon. But for a more elegant solution I hope the „slumber mode“ will integrated in IFFFT by Sonos.
Userlevel 1

I believe it is what I‘m looking for and will work for ne. I hope Apple will release soon. But for a more elegant solution I hope the „slumber mode“ will integrated in IFFFT by Sonos.

I’m not familiar with slumber mode? Is it ‘sleep’?

I’m not familiar with slumber mode? Is it ‘sleep’?

Yes, I mean sleep mode. I am sorry!
Userlevel 1

Yes, I mean sleep mode. I am sorry!

No worries ? I just wasn’t sure if it was a feature I hadn’t come across. I’m no expert
Userlevel 1
Badge
Please implement this: https://ifttt.com/partner-blog/2017/10/IFTTT-users-can-now-subscribe-to-your-service

I would like to receive emails for new actions and triggers as they are added.

Alle the other IFTTT integrations I use have this already.
Userlevel 1
Please implement this: https://ifttt.com/partner-blog/2017/10/IFTTT-users-can-now-subscribe-to-your-service

I would like to receive emails for new actions and triggers as they are added.

Alle the other IFTTT integrations I use have this already.

I guess smart phone notifications would be good too?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Not for me, no smart phone and my geezer cell plan doesn't include text messages. E-Mail please!
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Managed to set up quite a few playlists to run using Google Assistant, which is cool.
Can also pause and resume.

Can't seem to get next and previous track to work when pksying a favourite, though.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
It would be great if we could have an option to select the specific GROUP name to use in the applet.

the questions now are "where do you want to play?" and "include grouped Rooms" ... so i have speakers that may be in several different groups. for example a group called Morning will have some of the same speakers as the Evening group but not all. So if a speaker named Den is in both... how does IFTTT/SONOS know which GROUP to play for the 'include grouped rooms"?

it doesnt right now... so the option is grouped rooms, only this room, or all rooms.

hoping this is something that can be considered.

in short the question is... if a speaker is in several different groups and it is selected for "where do you want to play"... which group will be used for 'include grouped rooms"

alternatively for the "where do you want to play" you could let us select the GROUP name.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
@southern gal, I could be wrong about this, but I don't think IFTTT has a mechanism to establish a named group. That functionality would really need to be on the Sonos side. If Sonos ever does that, I imagine you wouldn't need IFTTT at all for your morning and evening listening preferences.

You could also get this done if IFTTT/Sonos allowed you to manually to list rooms when creating an applet. It could then be effectively used to create a named group. Not ideal, and wouldn't allow you to used this artificial named group through the Sonos app or a voice command.

I personally use the Lutron hum and app to create my morning group music. I works fine for me since I also use Lutron lights, but probably a costly solution to everyone else that seems like it would be rather simple.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
@southern gal, I could be wrong about this, but I don't think IFTTT has a mechanism to establish a named group. That functionality would really need to be on the Sonos side. If Sonos ever does that, I imagine you wouldn't need IFTTT at all for your morning and evening listening preferences.

You could also get this done if IFTTT/Sonos allowed you to manually to list rooms when creating an applet. It could then be effectively used to create a named group. Not ideal, and wouldn't allow you to used this artificial named group through the Sonos app or a voice command.

I personally use the Lutron hum and app to create my morning group music. I works fine for me since I also use Lutron lights, but probably a costly solution to everyone else that seems like it would be rather simple.

Thanks for your reply
the IFTTT applet has a question/option "where do you want to play" and that shows a LIST of your Rooms

it also has an option "Include grouped rooms?" with only three options... all, include grouped, this room

there is no option to indicate a 'group name'

and it is not clear WHICH group is going to be selected for the 'include grouped" option, when the room in the LIST question is part of several groups.

I realize that there is no option to select a group name... i am asking if they will add one or what group will be used in the "include grouped" question where there are more than one.
[quote=conmadigan]Not sure if it's the intended behaviour or a bug, but when specifying a URL to a sound file (e.g. mp3), it plays in an uninterrupted loop instead of stopping after one playback.

I do understand this if the URL actually references a live audio stream, but I would also need to play one off sounds on specifics IFTTT triggers, so is there a way for the system to differentiate between these single audio files playbacks and live streams?

Many thanks

Yes, I too would like to use the sonos for triggering an individual audio file, play the single file and return to previous operation if possible.

http://myserver.local.lan/welcomehome.mp3
http://myserver.local.lan/doorbell.mp3
http://myserver.local.lan/dooropened.mp3
http://myserver.local.lan/lpackagedelivered.mp3

etc.
Very cool, but missing some things regarding scheduling - the possibility to stop play/pause, not just to start something.
Typical use case is to start some music in the morning or at dinner time, but end it when it is time to go to sleep.

So you have the actions: "Play favourite" and "Pause" that I can not use with the general time trigger.
What I really missing is possiblity to set the volume in the "play favourite" action.
Starting an activitiy with a specific volume is only possible with the applet "set up a sonos routine", but that is applet with hard constraints and again no pause.

So what I would like is
-Possibility to set volume in the play favourite action
and/or
Possibility to set and end time in the "set up a sonos routine" applet

Hmmm I can actually do what I want by using one "set up a sonos routine" applet + one custom applet with trigger=schedule, action=pause - but seems strange that it is in the standard sonos.

Not really sure why you add a bunch of simple applets that just triggers on one thing - anyone can combine any trigger with any action. Sonos specific applets makes more sense if they are complex (many input conditions - like turn on unless it is late)
Great to see Sonos integration with IFTTT. I am looking for a way to Start Sonos with my favorite radio station, at a certain volume, and turn on 2 rooms of Phillips Hue Lights from my Google Home Mini with one voice command.

I see an applet called "Start Sonos and turn on your Hue lights with one press of the button" by melgert under the Sonos Service. This almost does what I want, only I do not want to use a button press, i want to use a google Home Mini voice request. How does one go about creating an applet to perform multiple actions, or modify an existing applet?
How does one go about creating an applet to perform multiple actions, or modify an existing applet?
You cant, as "normal" user IFTTT allows you to trigger on One thing and perform One action per Applet. You need to be a partner to create the advanced trigger.
That was my previous comment that it makes no sense for a partner to create simple applets - anyone can create that themself - you just need the partners to create the triggers and actions for you to combine.
best article to follow : https://www.macstories.net/ios/how-to-trigger-ifttt-applets-with-ios-12s-new-shortcuts-app-and-siri/