How about an all digital connect?

• 19 May 2017
  • 8 replies

Badge
Request to add a Sonos connect which has no preamp, amp, or speakers, all digital with the addition of a usb port, to the presently provided coax and optical ports.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

The purpose of the Connect is to turn a conventional hifi into a Sonos player. I am struggling to see how your suggestion could do anything but hinder that purpose I'm afraid.
All that it would do is reduce Sonos net sales by eliminating the need to buy play units; would you do this if you were the Sonos CEO?
Badge
All that it would do is reduce Sonos net sales by eliminating the need to buy play units; would you do this if you were the Sonos CEO?
I don't think it would reduce sales, it would add sales from those who would like to use a higher quality DAC and play their Sonos stream through their high quality HiFi
This sounds like the topic which recurs almost as regularly as the infamous 'HiRes' demand, namely for a 'cheaper CONNECT'.

It won't happen, at least not dramatically cheaper à la Chromecast. To do so would undermine Sonos' core business lines. Sonos will charge what the market will bear.
I don't think it would reduce sales, it would add sales from those who would like to use a higher quality DAC and play their Sonos stream through their high quality HiFi
This is possible now, and as @ratty says, while people with higher-end hifis keep buying the existing Connect at the current price, there is no reason for Sonos to sell it cheaper.
If it's not a cheaper CONNECT, I'm not clear what the OP is requesting unless it's async USB output. The existing CONNECT does everything else, and the parts cost of DAC/ADC for the RCA connections must be tiny.
I have a suspicion that the OP and @BobH1 are seeking different things, and possibly that the OP thinks the existing digital connections are inputs not outputs.
Oh, okay.

it would add sales from those who would like to use a higher quality DAC and play their Sonos stream through their high quality HiFi
CONNECT already can, and does. The S/PDIF output is 24 bits wide and jitter -- when measured many years ago by Stereophile on ZP80 -- is 'low'. Any decent DAC will re-clock anyhow,.