Feature News

Google Assistant entering new countries on Sonos

Google Assistant entering new countries on Sonos
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 11544 replies
Starting today, Google Assistant availability on Sonos is expanding to Australia, Canada, Germany, France, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom. Make sure your system is up to date by checking under More > Settings > Software Updates. Once updated, all Sonos One (gen 1 and gen 2) will be able to add the Google Assistant as a voice assistant. Please note that you can only have one voice assistant enabled on a single player at a time.

Control your music, get answers to questions, manage everyday tasks, and more— simply by using your voice. Find out more about the Google Assistant with Sonos on our website here and on our blog, “12 Ways the Google Assistant Will Enhance Your Sonos Listening Experience”.

You can find out all about Google Assistant on our original announcement thread, ‘Sonos welcomes the Google Assistant’.

If you’re in one of the countries where the Google Assistant is now available, you can find out more on our page here for controlling Sonos with Google Home devices or adding the Google Assistant to a Beam or One. I’ll add the directions below as well.

The Google Assistant can control basic playback, such as skipping or pausing music on Sonos, and can start music from Deezer, Google Play Music, Pandora, Spotify, and YouTube Music (depending on availability in your country).

With the Google Assistant on Sonos you can play music, find answers courtesy of Google Search, plan your day, set timers, and easily control smart devices around your home. You’ll also be able to use features specific to Google Assistant, like continued conversation, meaning you can ask the Google Assistant a series of questions without having to say “Hey Google” every time.
We’ll continue to bring more actions and functionality to the experience over time through software updates.

We have a pretty comprehensive list here of basic commands, but there are always more to discover.

Setting Up Google Assistant

Enhance your Sonos experience with the Google Assistant by adding it to the Sonos One and Beam or by linking your Google Home devices to Sonos.

Adding the Google Assistant to Sonos One and Beam

To add the Google Assistant to the Sonos One or Beam, go into your Sonos App (on iOS or Android) and tap on More > Room Settings > (Room Name) >Voice Services and you can select the Google Assistant to be added. Please note that you can only have one voice service added to a Sonos player at one time, however multiple voice services can be used on the same household if you have more than one compatible device.

Set up Google Home to control Sonos

If you don’t have any voice-enabled Sonos speakers in your system, you can still set up Google Assistant to control Sonos through a Google Home or other Google Assistant-enabled device.

In the Sonos app for iOS or Android, tap the More tab at the bottom, then tap Voice Services.Choose Google Assistant from the list. This will take you to the Google Assistant app, where you’ll sign in to your Sonos account.

Once you’ve connected your Sonos account, check to make sure you’ve added your music service accounts in the Google Assistant app by tapping your profile icon at the top right, then choosing Services > Music. You can also set your default service from this menu.

To learn more about how you can control Sonos with Google Assistant, see our article, Sonos with Google Assistant.

If you run into any trouble, there are some helpful tips and tricks here and on our community here to start with.

23 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Nice !

Just setup mine and seems to work. I wonder, should we be able to use Sonos One devices with the update in an google home "Routine" ? I only see my google "puck" devices and not my Sonos One device.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The Sonos One should be able to initiate a Routine, but can't be included in one.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
The Sonos One should be able to initiate a Routine, but can't be included in one.

Is that “can’t“ or “can’t yet”, Ryan?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Great question! It isn't a request that's been publicly confirmed to be on the list that's 100% happening, but I'm not saying it's impossible. So how about "it isn't able to be included as part of a Routine at this time."
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi Ryan, is there a link to the "publicly confirmed list that's 100% happening"
Hi, any idea on when it'll be available in Mexico?
Hi,
I am in Sydney, reading all these news about google assistant availability on Sonos One but I still haven't got any update yet. Is it rolling out in steps?

Just being impatient, can't wait for it!

Regards,
HI Kapil09,
Aassuming that your app and the software on your Sonos units are up to date, and bearing in mind there have been no updates in the last few days, what worked for me was to uninstall and reinstall the app on my phone and when I tried to specify Google assistant for voice it was suddenly now available.
Good luck.
It isn’t a software update for you, they’re changing the software on the back end to support this. You wouldn’t be getting an “update”
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
It isn’t a software update for you, they’re changing the software on the back end to support this. You wouldn’t be getting an “update”
This is correct. It's a cloud based software update, so you won't notice any specific change, it'll just be available.

Hi Ryan, is there a link to the "publicly confirmed list that's 100% happening"
Not at this time.
Hi, any idea on when it'll be available in Mexico?
I don't have any specific timeline on that to share, but I'll make sure the team knows you're looking for it.
Hey Ryan,

Please also let the team know that there is at least one family in Belgium looking very much forward to this release :-)

Thanks for your efforts!
Badge
Hi there, read about the launch of Google assistant in Australia and I have a bunch of Play 1 speakers including a Playbase. After reading the article, I understand I can connect my entire setup to a Google Home Mini via the Sonos app and use Google assistant in this way.
If so, when is the Google Assistant launching because the app keeps saying it's unavailable in your country.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey Ryan,

Please also let the team know that there is at least one family in Belgium looking very much forward to this release :-)

Thanks for your efforts!

Will do!

Hi there, read about the launch of Google assistant in Australia and I have a bunch of Play 1 speakers including a Playbase. After reading the article, I understand I can connect my entire setup to a Google Home Mini via the Sonos app and use Google assistant in this way.
If so, when is the Google Assistant launching because the app keeps saying it's unavailable in your country.

It should already be available in Australia. Just make sure your Sonos devices are updated (there wasn't a specific update for this change, but you need to be running the latest software. After that, just go into your Google Assistant app, and find the Sonos action.

In the Sonos app for iOS or Android, tap the More tab at the bottom, then tap Voice Services.Choose Google Assistant from the list. This will take you to the Google Assistant app, where you’ll sign in to your Sonos account.

Once you’ve connected your Sonos account, check to make sure you’ve added your music service accounts in the Google Assistant app by tapping your profile icon at the top right, then choosing Services > Music. You can also set your default service from this menu.

To learn more about how you can control Sonos with Google Assistant, see our article, Sonos with Google Assistant.
Badge +4
Is there a way to change the wake word on Google Assistant? I am not interested in addressing my Sonos with a dumb phrase that I can't change. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Is there a way to change the wake word on Google Assistant? I am not interested in addressing my Sonos with a dumb phrase that I can't change. Thanks.

Google Assistant on Sonos responds to "Hey Google" and "OK Google". There's no setting currently to change those to something else at this time. I'll let the team know you're looking for some options.
Starting today, Google Assistant availability on Sonos is expanding to Australia, Canada, Germany, France, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom. Make sure your system is up to date by checking under More > Settings > Software Updates. Once updated, all Sonos One (gen 1 and gen 2) will be able to add the Google Assistant as a voice assistant. Please note that you can only have one voice assistant enabled on a single player at a time.

Control your music, get answers to questions, manage everyday tasks, and more— simply by using your voice. Find out more about the Google Assistant with Sonos on our website here and on our blog, “12 Ways the Google Assistant Will Enhance Your Sonos Listening Experience”.

You can find out all about Google Assistant on our original announcement thread, ‘Sonos welcomes the Google Assistant’.

If you’re in one of the countries where the Google Assistant is now available, you can find out more on our page here for controlling Sonos with Google Home devices or adding the Google Assistant to a Beam or One. I’ll add the directions below as well.

The Google Assistant can control basic playback, such as skipping or pausing music on Sonos, and can start music from Deezer, Google Play Music, Pandora, Spotify, and YouTube Music (depending on availability in your country).

With the Google Assistant on Sonos you can play music, find answers courtesy of Google Search, plan your day, set timers, and easily control smart devices around your home. You’ll also be able to use features specific to Google Assistant, like continued conversation, meaning you can ask the Google Assistant a series of questions without having to say “Hey Google” every time.
We’ll continue to bring more actions and functionality to the experience over time through software updates.

We have a pretty comprehensive list here of basic commands, but there are always more to discover.

Setting Up Google Assistant

Enhance your Sonos experience with the Google Assistant by adding it to the Sonos One and Beam or by linking your Google Home devices to Sonos.

Adding the Google Assistant to Sonos One and Beam

To add the Google Assistant to the Sonos One or Beam, go into your Sonos App (on iOS or Android) and tap on More > Room Settings > (Room Name) >Voice Services and you can select the Google Assistant to be added. Please note that you can only have one voice service added to a Sonos player at one time, however multiple voice services can be used on the same household if you have more than one compatible device.

Set up Google Home to control Sonos

If you don’t have any voice-enabled Sonos speakers in your system, you can still set up Google Assistant to control Sonos through a Google Home or other Google Assistant-enabled device.

If you run into any trouble, there are some helpful tips and tricks here and on our community here to start with.
Not being able to add sonos speakers to my current google home groups ensures that i dont buy anything else from sonos. Bought one today assuming this will be possible, returning tonorrow. FYI, what a shame.
Badge +1
Is Google Assistant available in Colombia?
See the list of available and coming soon countries here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3491

Edit: Along with a handy "notify me when it comes to my country" button at the bottom!
Badge +1
If the device is setup in US and taken to a non-supported country will it stop working?
Depends, I guess, on how Google does geo-location. I wouldn't expect it to work, no, but I could be wrong.
Badge +1
So I take it Sonos does something to modify the Google Assistant then?

https://developers.google.com/news/assistant/guides/eligibility-availability

Since google assistant works on my phone, smartwatch and ShieldTV, Sonos must be doing something different with it?
You’d have to read the legal contract between Sonos and Google, I expect, as well as the legal agreements between both Sonos and Google with the varying streaming companies. I don’t have access to that data.