Exciting Partnerships in the Queue

• 3 October 2017
  • 82 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Community Manager
  • 12372 replies
We have a lot of exciting plans for the future and we wanted to share some of them with you all. First, check out Patrick Spence's post on the Sonic Internet here: http://blog.sonos.com/en/welcome-sonic-internet/
In addition to our Sonos One, coming October 24th, and support for Alexa through Alexa devices, we’ve been hard at work on some great new partnerships as well.

We’re excited to announce that Sonos is bringing Airplay 2 to our platform, available next spring. You will be able to play from devices in your Apple ecosystem – including content from YouTube and Netflix - now on your Sonos players. You will also have the ability to talk to Siri-enabled devices (iPhone, iPad, AppleTV) to play music on your Sonos speakers. We’re not sharing all the details around this integration yet as there’s still work to be done, but we hope you’re excited too. We’ll share more soon, so watch this space.

The Sonos Developer Platform is also coming in 2018. We will be officially opening a developer platform, and deliver APIs to any developer who wants to integrate with Sonos. We'll also be rolling out a certification program so the highest quality experiences will have the ability to earn the “Works with Sonos” badge. You’ll start seeing some exciting home automation options out there with our official badge, marking them as partners and certifying their API integration.

We know you’ve loved using your Spotify App to control Sonos and we’ve been working to bring that experience to more services. Starting in the coming months, we’ll be adding the ability to control Sonos directly from additional music service apps, including Tidal, Pandora, Audible and iHeart Radio.

We hope you're as excited as we are.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

82 replies

Sonos products featured MLB audio as a major feature in the in-store display, which prompted me to buy Sonos,

Sonos website still states that MLB audio is a feature of Sonos speakers.

This is 100% on Sonos. It's their product. Their issue to resolve.

Uhhhhh, if you read the post above, Sonos already has resolved it. MLB just hasnt't gotten around to testing their resolution. Should Sonos storm the halls of MLB headquarters and force them to test it at gunpoint?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No one knows why mlb did this, ask them. Sonos didn’t change anything
Sonos products featured MLB audio as a major feature in the in-store display, which prompted me to buy Sonos,

Sonos website still states that MLB audio is a feature of Sonos speakers.

This is 100% on Sonos. It's their product. Their issue to resolve.
MLB has already stated that they were the ones who completely overhauled their steaming services, and they are experiencing a backlog testing devices that must be certified for using the new streaming methods. This includes Sonos. So talking to them is probably your best bet.
Any plans for supporting MLB Game Day audio on Sonos. If not, can I return my 9 Sonos products?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
audible officially available now https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/audible-on-sonos-6804502
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi, how do you know this?

Read the 5th post in the thread. Ryan specifically said so.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
We don't know which speakers will be able to initial Airplay2. I do disagree on the point of if all can't do it don't do it - I'm happy with just one being able to initiate the connection (since we then know we can group with any others we like). What would be nice is if it makes itself an input theoretically. Then you can have any speaker AUTO Play from the particular input and could then play to an older speaker independently (not grouped). That may not happen. I imagine it to be more like the way the Playbar is where to listen to the TV input .... the Playbar has to be playing the TV input (different from say a Play:5 where that input can be accessed by any speaker even if the Play:5 is not playing that source).

We know the Sonos One will be an Airplay2 input into system. We don't know about the Play:5 gen2 and the Playbase (both fairly new devices). Its possible they could be Airplay2 speakers as well. We really have no idea other than Sonos pretty much guaranteeing the Sonos One.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I was happy about AirPlay support for about 2 seconds... I'll buy an AirPort Express before I buy a new Sonos speaker. If you can't implement it into all existing hardware then you shouldn't even bother. If your products are going to start have different hardware and different capabilities you are ruining the ecosystem. Even if you do buy a new speaker capable of AirPlay, it ONLY works with that speaker and ONLY with existing speakers grouped to the new one? That's a poor way of doing things, I'm out.

Hi, how do you know this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I was happy about AirPlay support for about 2 seconds... I'll buy an AirPort Express before I buy a new Sonos speaker. If you can't implement it into all existing hardware then you shouldn't even bother. If your products are going to start have different hardware and different capabilities you are ruining the ecosystem. Even if you do buy a new speaker capable of AirPlay, it ONLY works with that speaker and ONLY with existing speakers grouped to the new one? That's a poor way of doing things, I'm out.
Userlevel 1
It's good to hear that Audible will be coming. I bought my Sonos One in ignorance of Sonos' history with Audible and its current lack of support for it.

I received an Echo Dot right around the time I bought my Sonos One, and I'm coming to the hypothesis that my usage of the Sonos One would be about 50% Spotify and 40% Audible.

So, with my 45 day return window coming to a close soon, I just requested to return my Sonos One.

If voice-enabled Audible support shows up in the Sonos One before I've decided to go with a different speaker solution, I'll consider buying it again, but for now, it's not worth keeping and waiting given my usage needs.

I look forward to hearing about Audible's return to the Sonos ecosystem.
I think because of sales volume getting a Sonos One would be cheaper that a bridge upgrade.

If you had choice of buying a Sonos One for $175 or a Bridge for $175 why would you buy the bridge only?

I hope we will get soon at least a new and more future proof Connect...

There was a recent thread about an S15 product at the FCC. Turned out to be a refresh of the Connect. Probably just new internal parts due to manufacturers EOL, which required a redesign, though.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Sonos_Connect_(S15)
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I think because of sales volume getting a Sonos One would be cheaper that a bridge upgrade.

If you had choice of buying a Sonos One for $175 or a Bridge for $175 why would you buy the bridge only?

I hope we will get soon at least a new and more future proof Connect...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I understand that it’s unsettled as of yet which products other than the new ONE will have Airplay2 support. It seems that a reasonable option to bring Airplay2 support to older Sonos products might be an Updated Sonos Boost. Swapping out a $99 device for new features seems more reasonable than replacing components in a Playbar/home theater setup. Just throwing that our there since I haven’t noticed any conversation around this point of entry into Airplay2 support.

Update... after a resort of the comments I see that this has been discussed. It will be interesting to see what solution(s) they come up with. Since there are likely new licensing fees I don’t expect it to be completely free, but I also don’t see a need to buy a new pair of surround speakers or expensive playbase/playbar replacement for a home theater setup.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Why couldn’t they just offer an airplay hardware device without a speaker that could then integrate with existing Sonos speakers. It would have to be significantly cheaper than people havkg to by a speaker for this and would allow that to be an input choice on any speaker in your existing system. I think it would be shortsighted to think you are better off requiring people to buy a new speaker that will likely have some limitations just to get a few extra bucks today. I would be totally focused on doing whatever I could to keep existing customers happy and brand loyal.

You must remember that Sonos is in the business of selling speakers, not making it easy for you not to buy speakers. You want an airplay device? Buy a Connect and an airport express.
Userlevel 1
Why couldn’t they just offer an airplay hardware device without a speaker that could then integrate with existing Sonos speakers. It would have to be significantly cheaper than people havkg to by a speaker for this and would allow that to be an input choice on any speaker in your existing system. I think it would be shortsighted to think you are better off requiring people to buy a new speaker that will likely have some limitations just to get a few extra bucks today. I would be totally focused on doing whatever I could to keep existing customers happy and brand loyal.
Totally agree. Isn't the logical spot for this a new BOOST? More than happy to pay ~$150 (AU) to get thousands of dollars worth of speakers under airplay control. I don't need more speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
It’s been a few months. Any update on the Audible situation?!
We'll be sharing more soon, but don't have any specifics to share today. Thanks for staying in touch.
It’s been a few months. Any update on the Audible situation?!
This will give you an idea of what “might” be in the pipeline...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nm7-EuctOs
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/6/16741194/sonos-ikea-partnership-home-smart

Details are scant, but today Sonos and Ikea are announcing a partnership meant to bring "music and sound" into all aspects of the home. Ikea calls the collaboration a third step for its Ikea Home Smart initiative. Step one was the integration of Qi wireless charging into its furniture back in 2015, and step two was the launch of its smart lighting products in 2016. The first realizations from the Sonos and Ikea partnership aren't expected to be in stores until 2019, however.
A bit under the radar, but the TunesMap partnership is well worth exploring for music lovers with AppleTV and an iPhone. They are currently accepting beta testers through next month.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
With limited demand I would think it would end up costing $150 range. And with that you may as well buy a Sonos One.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Userlevel 4
Great to see AirPlay support coming. That will be a huge improvement. My current work around for that is to airplay through my AppleTV connected to my playbar. A direct solution/integration will he much better. Another good addition will be adding a Google Assitant support.