Exciting Partnerships in the Queue

Show first post

47 replies

@Ryan S, will there be native chromecast support on the way as well for the speakers? I know you can connect via the Sonos app, but native chromecast to the speakers would be much better.

Is this native support in the pipe at all?

Cheers.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I'd like to know if native chromecast support is coming, as that would bring BBC iplayer radio to sonos.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
We don't have any specific Chromecast announcements to share at this time. We'll be partnering with Google Assistant on the Sonos One in the future, so you're free to speculate on what might mean for the future, but there's nothing official or implied that I can let you in on today.
Dumb question alert but I can't make out the answer from the thread so far. Sounds like there's the potential/probability for Airplay 2 abilities in Spring 2018. If I'm looking to get into the Sonos game should I wait until spring to buy a Sonos ONE or, if I buy one now (in Fall 2017) will it have that ability at this time (hardware-wise), once that functionality becomes possibly available in Spring? Thanks
The current Sonos One will be able to support Airplay 2 when the functionality arives next year.
Thanks jgatie.
Hi
Will Sonos One support Google Cast in future.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
soumya11in wrote:

The Sonos One will have Google Assistant, but we haven't gone into all the details there and if it'll include Google Cast. Stay tuned, we'll share more in the future as development goes on. We don't want to say too much before everything's ready.
Ryan S wrote:

soumya11in wrote:

The Sonos One will have Google Assistant, but we haven't gone into all the details there and if it'll include Google Cast. Stay tuned, we'll share more in the future as development goes on. We don't want to say too much before everything's ready.

I have four Play 1s in my house and I'm willing to upgrade to Ones if and only if they support Chromecasting. The amount of times I want to listen to a Podcast (on Pocketcasts) or an Audiobook or a show on iPlayer Radio or or or, you get my drift. Although I've spent a huge amount of money on my Sonos set-up I still have a bluetooth speaker to listen to Audiobooks and other catch-up shows.

Also it's a real shame that you won't be able to pair a One with a Play 1 or I'd only need to upgrade 2 of the 4.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Apparently this app does just that, though care in use is needed:-
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/sonosequencr/id967043604?mt=8
The fact sonos have not mentioned chromecasting, leads me to believe , like Alexa, it will be mainly intergration for google play music streaming.
Maybe 2019??
vdj91 wrote:

Dumb question alert but I can't make out the answer from the thread so far. Sounds like there's the potential/probability for Airplay 2 abilities in Spring 2018. If I'm looking to get into the Sonos game should I wait until spring to buy a Sonos ONE or, if I buy one now (in Fall 2017) will it have that ability at this time (hardware-wise), once that functionality becomes possibly available in Spring? Thanks

Wait until it is what you want. Don’t buy the promise because they are under no obligation to you to keep the promise of AirPlay 2 functionality on any timeline or at all.
Emby wrote:

Wait until it is what you want. Don’t buy the promise because they are under no obligation to you to keep the promise of AirPlay 2 functionality on any timeline or at all.

Could you name one promise Sonos has made that was not followed through on?
Userlevel 1
Badge
jgatie wrote:

Emby wrote:

They failed in their promise to deliver new audible support by the end of summer 2017.

Buy based on current function not future promise or you will be disappointed (all products not just Sonos)
jgatie wrote:

Emby wrote:

No, I can’t name one promise Sonos has made that was not followed through on.
Sononos_fan wrote:

jgatie wrote:

Emby wrote:

They failed in their promise to deliver new audible support by the end of summer 2017.

Buy based on current function not future promise or you will be disappointed (all products not just Sonos)

Yup. Thats one. They have followed through on:

Google Play Music
Apple Music
Amazon Music
Trueplay
Spotify Direct Control
Pandora Direct Control
Alexa Control
Pandora Prime
Alexa enabled Sonos speaker

And while I wholeheartedly agree one should purchase Sonos for what it is, not what one wishes it to be, their track record on fulfilling promises makes them a pretty good bet.
Sononos_fan wrote:

jgatie wrote:

Emby wrote:

I was thinking Audible too but it wasn’t worth me looking it up because what I posted was sound advice.

Also, I’ve learned that when Sonos uses the word “soon,” it is never soon enough. Not that this applies to any statement they made about AirPlay 2.

I like Sonos. I just bought my first Play:5 today. However, I didn’t buy it because I expect it to be a native AirPlay 2 speaker.
Userlevel 2
Badge
jgatie wrote:

Sononos_fan wrote:

jgatie wrote:

Emby wrote:

Yup. Thats one. They have followed through on:

Google Play Music
Apple Music
Amazon Music
Trueplay
Spotify Direct Control
Pandora Direct Control
Alexa Control
Pandora Prime
Alexa enabled Sonos speaker

And while I wholeheartedly agree one should purchase Sonos for what it is, not what one wishes it to be, their track record on fulfilling promises makes them a pretty good bet.

Yes but how many years have passed?
Everything on that list was promised and subsequently delivered on time. They dropped the ball on Audible, so they are batting .900. Rumor has it Spotify Alexa control works early. So criticize them all you like for bad support, bad UI, bad anything. Critcizing them for promising and not delivering is a losing cause.
Userlevel 1
Badge
They didn't just drop the ball on Audible, they've lead Sonos customers on for two years. Lied about repeatedly.

They promised voice control 18 months ago and so far have delivered a beta skill and hardware. I think they've done well but I think I'm in the minority with you given the huge amount of issues and the expectation of a polished product.

They also screwed up on direct control. Their CEO dismissed spotify connect back in 2012. Only recently realizing their error. Similar to their epiphany on voice control.

Are GPM, Apple Music, and Amazon Music using the SONOS music partner API? If so doesnt SONOS have no control over this so why give credit?
Oh Logan. :8
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
What is meant by Ryan's initial post - specifically the YouTube mention in the first post - "You will be able to play from devices in your Apple ecosystem – including content from YouTube.."?
YouTube is available over Airplay 2 because it is streamed through the phone.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)