Enhanced equalizer

• 27 February 2017
  • 19 replies

Userlevel 2
will there or is there a spot for the equalizer portion of tuning besides bass and treble? it would be a nice feature in the future

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I doubt it. Far more pressing features that I doubt an equaliser will be coming soon. Why post in this area, it's hardly an announcement 😉
Userlevel 2
oh im sorry I did not realize i was posting in the announcement area sorry guys
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I moved it for you. I'll pass on the request to the team as well. We're really proud of the work that was done around Trueplay as well, it's like an automatic equalizer for your system that you can run and it'll get everything sounding just right for the room and orientation it's in. I know it's not the same has having control yourself, but it's pretty effective. If you haven't tried it out, you'll just need an iOS device for 10 minutes or so.
I suspect that Sonos moves in this area will be in the direction of better Trueplay outcomes. The target market cares little for manual fiddling with equalisers.
Userlevel 1
Your the 1000 person I've told today, there's just no demand...
Userlevel 1
True play is nice, but can be highly ineffective depending on the situation.

Consider this use case. Someone (me) with thousands of old time radio shows. Many do not have good audio and you need to adjust the midrange to get at the vocals, drop the highs - they contain nothing much over 4k except noise. You need a true equalizer, not bass and treble to be able to make them enjoyable. True play does nothing in this situation. For modern recorded music True play has it's place, but for audio that is not main stream or if one simply prefers something other than a generally flat response in their room there is not nearly enough adjustability.

My Play 5 is nice, but I'll be putting the mailing label on the box today and returning it. Without a true equalizer there is no point in keeping it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Wow that's some serious toy throwing 😃
Userlevel 1
Wow that's some serious toy throwing :DSorry, I didn't realize we could only praise the product here. It doesn't currently meet my needs. If that offends you, too bad. Looking at your prior posts you come off as an ass that thinks they are right about everything.

I'm sure the Sonos folks are a bit more pragmatic and if others in similar situations raise the issue they will adapt their product. In which case I'll probably consider it again. If not there are other options out there.
Userlevel 1
Yes Trueplay is a great piece of engineering. However, give me a simple equalizer as well and we are all happy!
Userlevel 1
I moved it for you. I'll pass on the request to the team as well. We're really proud of the work that was done around Trueplay as well, it's like an automatic equalizer for your system that you can run and it'll get everything sounding just right for the room and orientation it's in. I know it's not the same has having control yourself, but it's pretty effective. If you haven't tried it out, you'll just need an iOS device for 10 minutes or so.

Hi Ryan,

Trueplay is useful if one has good source material and good hearing. Earlier I posted my use case (old time radio recordings of poor quality) in which Trueplay is not an answer.

Consider the over 35 crowd with the hearing loss that comes with age. The flat response that Trueplay gives in the room may still not be to their liking as to them the sound is not a flat response as they have hearing loss in some ranges of the audio frequency and not others.

I think the very best would be Trueplay to get it "right" and then an true equalizer for more serious tweaking for those with hearing loss, differing tastes, or source material that needs help in sounding good.

I sent my Play 5 back about an hour ago. I really like what Sonos has done and would consider a Play 5 in the future, it it had a true equalizer or a way to inline one without using a mini connector.

My previous, now current again, setup is 2 channel stereo with a an AudioEngine Bluetooth adapter. I control everything from my computer. I used the EqMac2 app for an equalizer. https://bitgapp.com/eqmac/ It gives me the control over my source material that is needed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Who said I was offended? I just thought your post funny. Still do :D

I happen to agree an enhanced equaliser might be a good addition. Although personally I find myself in a never ending tweaking circle so the lack of one has saved me a lot of time and frustration. Maybe it's part of being an ass:?

What I would like it's easier access to the current controls on tablet and phone app, more like the desktop app.
Badge
I am in the same disposition. I have a pair of play 5 s that I like a lot.

But I really need to boost the mids with a EQ. I still am in my trial period and unfortunately I will probably have to send the play 5s back.

As much as I like them I really want the midst not to be recessed and only a EQ can do this. By the way, I use Android and not Apple.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
My observation is that he crappier the hi-fi, the more likely it is to have multi-frequency EQ adjustment. Witth the best hi-fi equipment, one is lucky to have bass & treble, if anything.

Kind of like the best restaurants not providing condiments.
An enhanced equalizer would be a nice feature since truplay doesn't work with the connect....
Why is that btw? any plans on integrating it in the future?
Userlevel 2
Badge +8
My observation is that he crappier the hi-fi, the more likely it is to have multi-frequency EQ adjustment. Witth the best hi-fi equipment, one is lucky to have bass & treble, if anything.That's absurd. And wrong.

"The best" hi-fi equipment is made up of components, and people add equalizers as a component. It's not about making yourself feel good about your speaker purchase, it's about maintaining consistency from recording to recording. (Trueplay seems to optimize for a room, right? So it's like using any other averaging technique for analysis - not useless, but not overly helpful...)

So another upvote for a Sonos equalizer!

(Or even source-to-source, I can tell a major difference between MP3s in my library, what's coming in on streaming radio, and what's playing on CDs and LPs... And I've had my system running for about six hours...)

Kind of like the best restaurants not providing condiments.Not the best example. That's the chef's ego taking control of the entire dining experience. (S)he buys the ingredients, prepares, and serves - and insists it be tasted a specific way and not altered. Sonos has zip-all control over anything but the delivery - whether it's a Big Mac (stream), a strip from Outback (mp3) or a Peter Luger porterhouse (LP).
+1 for an enhanced EQ! I can't imagine it's that's complex in this day and age. iTunes has had it for over a decade...:D

Does anyone know if Trueplay is coming to the connect?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I wouldn't expect a lot of features to be coming for the Connect or Connect amp, they are pretty much full on the software side already. Maybe if they release a new hardware version, like they did with the Play 1 to Sonos One update?

Hi Ryan,

Trueplay is useful if one has good source material and good hearing. Earlier I posted my use case (old time radio recordings of poor quality) in which Trueplay is not an answer.

Consider the over 35 crowd with the hearing loss that comes with age. The flat response that Trueplay gives in the room may still not be to their liking as to them the sound is not a flat response as they have hearing loss in some ranges of the audio frequency and not others.

I think the very best would be Trueplay to get it "right" and then an true equalizer for more serious tweaking for those with hearing loss, differing tastes, or source material that needs help in sounding good.

I sent my Play 5 back about an hour ago. I really like what Sonos has done and would consider a Play 5 in the future, it it had a true equalizer or a way to inline one without using a mini connector.

My previous, now current again, setup is 2 channel stereo with a an AudioEngine Bluetooth adapter. I control everything from my computer. I used the EqMac2 app for an equalizer. https://bitgapp.com/eqmac/ It gives me the control over my source material that is needed.

I totally agree. At 74 my hearing is seriously degraded. I will not buy additional SONOS until this is fixed!
I definitely want to see a real equalizer. It's so simple, and a major part of many people's listening experience. Trueplay works great for certain things (especially movies and TV), but the rich sound I want from my music gets flattened out, and that's not okay. I do have equalizer settings through iTunes, but if I Airplay straight to my Beam from there, the equalizer (for some reason) is disabled. And it does make a difference. If I Airplay from my iPhone, the same song that sounds flat from the computer suddenly blows me through the windows and down the street, and leaves me waking up naked and confused somewhere across town. That's what I want from a system that I paid out the sweet wazoo for. It's not too much to request a basic software feature that has always been standard for any sound system or output device of any worth.