Enhancements for Rhapsody, Napster and iHeart Radio now in Sonos Labs

• 7 October 2015
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 11910 replies
We’re making some big changes with iHeart Radio, Rhapsody and Napster on Sonos and we’d like you to have the opportunity to test it out. Entering public beta today on Android, Mac and Window PCs, you’ll find many new features on both Rhapsody and Napster by Rhapsody.

The highlights include a higher quality audio stream, our highest quality AAC stream ever at 320 Kbps. Enhanced playlists with browsing by genre, mood, and theme to match every moment. Also exclusively to Sonos users of the service, you’ll find Sonos Spotlights, where you can discover new featured music that’s been handpicked just for Sonos users.

Lastly, there are exciting changes to radio on Rhapsody and Napster. You can now create custom ad-free radio stations based on a song or artist. You can also tune-in to your favorite live radio stations from around the world.
Find these and more on the all new Rhapsody and Napster by Rhapsody services in Labs on Sonos today. You can sign up on your account page following the directions here: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1795

If you already have Napster or Rhapsody, you can add Rhapsody 2.0 within the Sonos Labs section of the controller.

The improvements to iHeart Radio, now entering beta on Sonos are just as exciting. You’ll find stations sorted into new options such as For You, Genres, Podcasts, and Nearby Stations, along with making Custom Radio, and Recently Played now under My Stations.

Any station played under Custom Radio or from browsing into an artist will populate under Recent Stations in My Stations. If you’re running the public beta for Sonos, you can add iHeart Radio to your system within Sonos Labs from any Android, Mac or Windows PC.

For more information on the Rhapsody 2.0 beta see here: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/451

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

When will the updated Rhapsody service be available? Did it already come out in Sonos version 6.0? Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
When will the updated Rhapsody service be available? Did it already come out in Sonos version 6.0? Thanks!

The new Rhapsody is in Sonos Labs or as a beta service currently. You can add it already. As of version 6.0 you should no longer need to be on public beta to add the service.
I had to remove my old Rhapsody service and then re-add it to see all the changes. Is that usually the case/procedure to update?
Ryan...? See above, thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ryan...? See above, thanks.

Sorry I missed that to begin with. Yes, it's normal. The two Rhapsody services are technically different and it needed to be re-authorized using the new protocols.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Since the update I find Rhapsody to be operationally much slower.

Sometimes it just won't connect to the service, and when it does the newly formatted playlist menu takes a long time to load.

This needs to be looked at as the updated version is actually worse than the original!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Anyone else getting "Unable to browse music" when trying to access your library or listening history? I can search and play, but anything specific to my account errors out with the 2.0/beta service. I have a case open and Sonos support was able to repro with their account.

If its working for others, I have a suspicion that it could be related to me having an old Rhapsody account with a username instead of an email address to sign in.
Badge
Hi,

I'm using the Napster beta in Germany and either I am blind or all the Napster radio stations are gone. I can find the top channels etc., but the listing of all channels seems to be gone. Is this intended?

Best
Michael
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Sorry for the delay Michael and ic2000, are you still having trouble with browsing your Napster/Rhapsody accounts?

Michael, is it just the radio stations that are empty? If so, is the field for Top Stations there, but nothing within it? Do you get an error message when you're browsing in there?

Can both of you submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number? If you're still having trouble?

Thanks
Badge
The radio stations are not empty. There's the following structure in "Channels":
- Top Channels: Contains 5 channels
- Editorial Channels: Contains 5 channels
- Playlists by era: Contains 7 channels
- Radio stations: Contains local radio stations
- My channels: Is empty because I do not have a stored channel

However what is missing is a listing of all channels offered by Napster. In the not Beta version I get a list with several channels which is missing in the beta version. Diagnostic confirmation number is 5334223.

Best
Michael
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks Michael. I'll pass it on to the team to look into. Can you also put in some beta feedback around what you're seeing?
Badge
Can you also put in some beta feedback around what you're seeing?
Sure. Thank you for forwarding the issue.

Best
Michael
I have lost the function on my playlist from old napster to napster beta is there a way I can restore my playlists?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I have lost the function on my playlist from old napster to napster beta is there a way I can restore my playlists?

We have a script on this FAQ which will convert the old Napster tracks to new ones, take a look toward the bottom of the page.
Userlevel 2
I have the same Problem - all my Napster playlist are lost (on Napster Beta) 😞 I can´t find the script, how to convert old napster tracks in new ones.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Susanne, unfortunately that script was taken down from the site as it isn't working with the new version that just went into beta. We're working to get the playlists running without needing a script, so I'll update this thread when we have more details.